How to step up to the next level ? How did you do it ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've had a love affair with cameras and photography for about ten years I've had next to zero training. Every thing I know has come from books, Internet and magazines.
As my equipment has improved so has my photography, I am currently reading steve perry's ebooks, I find them extremely useful, he backs up what he tells you with evidence.
Once i've taken all this information in I will try to use the knowledge to improve. At the moment there are some situations that are straight forward and I feel confident.
On the other hand I think that when the cameras metre becomes confused I feel I have the gear and no idea ! what do I do to land the image. Its frustrating and I want to become more consistent. There is a course with the Open college of the Arts Its £1000 for a year online. Its designed to prepare photography students for a degree course. a foundation course.
Have you been in this situation ? Do you think its worthwhile doing the foundation year just to improve your photography skills. If not whats the best way to move up ?

Theory and technique, training and education all very important (and often interesting!) but here's my advice: pick up the camera and take pictures with it -- pick something you want to work on -- whether it's seeing what aperture does, or playing with composition, or figuring one of the AF settings, whatever, and shoot a whole lot of the same thing as you experiment. As for post production, same advice (and more so with my old memory) -- you gotta learn it but for me if I don't then use it, a lot, I simply forget all about it the next batch of photos I have to develop LOL The course will be valuable , generally, but very helpful if it, again, makes you take photographs and realize wheat you're doing to get the result you got (or didn't get). Oh, and have fun!

Disclaimer - I work in the education system so I am biased. I think you can learn a lot from the internet, magazines and books. What none of those 3 resources can provide, however, is the feedback you would receive, or should receive, in a course. A professional who has teaching skills should provide you with valuable insight regarding where you can improve your photos. My sister took an online course in photography and she has learned a lot and it shows in the photos she takes. There are a number of online courses available. If you are interested in taking a course I suggest you search for what is available, read reviews, etc. Just my 2 cents!

Consider doing some workshops led by professional photographers. Some involve interesting travel, some are closer to home. I am particularly interested in wildlife, landscape and nature photography. Over the last several years, I did workshops in a number of places that allowed me to practice my photography in amazing places (e.g., the Galápagos Islands, Torres del Paine, ...) while learning a great deal from the professionals and other participants. Hard to do right now, given Covid-19, but hopefully will be more available next year.

Honestly, furthering photography education is one of the reasons I started this board. Before message boards I was an OK wildlife / nature photographer. However, once I started posting photos on forums (this was over 15 years ago now), I learned a TON. I'd post something I thought was good and got feedback on why it wasn't or what could be better. I also actively examined others photos and found things I liked and tried to identify them and achieve those same "looks" when I was out shooing. I think a lot of "getting to the next level" is finding images that you like and trying to do something similar - or better - yourself. When I see a cool image, I'm always looking at what makes it a cool image and mentally adding those ideas to my toolbox. Over time, it really helps.

However, as ssheipel says above, there is no substitute for shooting. I've noticed a trend in photography over the years where people will try to "book learn" their way into great photos - and it helps to an extent - but they are often surprised when they get to the field and discover it's not as easy as they thought! Field practice and constantly looking for ways to make a better shot by applying all that information you learn online / reading are the real keys.

Wow , That's all good balanced and useful information and I'm sure it will help me come to the right decision. Be sure I'll be after you all every time I experience problems! LOL
What I want to achieve is when my life is over I am remembered for some quality images. Thank you all very much for your input! (y)

Do you think its worthwhile doing the foundation year just to improve your photography skills
Stevie,
FWIW, I did several semesters of formal photography education back in college(roughly 40 years ago) as an elective. It did give me a solid foundation in principles like exposure triangle, reciprocity, lighting and some composition basics and it was a blast spending time in a really well equipped dark room. But I'd say overall it was of limited value when I decided to focus on nature wildlife work and even of limited value when I ran a business and had to do a lot of wedding, event and portrait work. Focused workshops with skilled instructors can teach you far more about various photography niche markets and how to deal with real world situations.

I'd personally take the money for that foundation course and find some good workshops in your photo areas of interest with experienced instructors that specialize in those fields. The real world experience you can get in workshops like that is far more valuable than dry theoretical knowledge or a study of how Bresson or Adams might have photographed a particular scene (though that history is really cool!).

Sure for someone starting at ground zero some kind of basics course or some good reading will help a ton but I suspect you're beyond that point.

And of course as Steve posted above these forums are a great way to get your work out there, get feed back and see what other folks are doing which can all help with the learning curve. If you see an image that intrigues you and want to know more about how it was captured you can learn a lot by asking the photographer as most are willing to share the thoughts or preparations or even the alignment of the lucky stars that led to the image.

From a book learning standpoint I'd say if you want to become a better nature photographer then learn as much as you can about the animals that interest you and their life cycle behaviors. Tons of good books on those subjects but knowing the breeding, migratory, feeding and other behaviors of animals can really help in terms of knowing where to be and when to be there to photograph them.

The first 2 years I started Photography I forced myself to shoot in manual Mode the entire time, Man there was a BUNCH of horrible shots. I know I would get more quality shots if I used something besides manual but I also knew I REALLY needed to understand everything involved with manual mode... Once I started getting more good shot than bad ones I knew I was on the right path... From there I took some seminars Anything that came though my area... I've taken a couple workshops, But not as many or ones I would like too. (The Few I have taken have been fantastic your hanging around with other people with the same passion and you learn stuff the entire time) After going though a divorce its taken years to recover from I'm starting to get to the point where maybe I can take a workshop. But the biggest help for me was looking at photos I liked and asking lots of questions on the Forums and such. There is a wealth of knowledge just in that was posted above as well... The fact you are even asking the question is a great start! Don't be afraid to ask any questions and we have all been there... Best of luck!

Seems I get in at the end of these interesting discussions, must be the 8-10 hours time difference. When I started to be serious about photography, I read everything I could get my hands on. That said, I also started shooting everything that moved and tried out the advise I picked up. AND then, I discovered BIF photography, and it became my passion to do as well as the guru nature photographers whose work I admired. As Steve mentioned above, what I perceived as good was just average or OK for the professional. This was in the day of slides, so you could not ckeck the image before it was developed.
So, nothing beats going out, getting a tatget model and become intimately fimiliar with it so that you can anticipate its action. Muscle memory as Steve has succinctly stated it somewhere. I still learn, and there are still things I have not done - shooting the milky way is on the list.
Happy learning and shooting

As you can see here, it's different strokes for different folks. Look wider and things can easily become bewildering to the point of being totally confused. On some forums and FB Groups you might see lots of different solutions put forward when, realistically, there's probably only a handful worth knowing about. One thing that you can easily be misled about is depth of field when taking landscape photographs. The "F22"brigade is rampant and frequently F22 is something to avoid. Sharp landscapes from front to back can frequently be obtained with F2.8 to F8 without risk of diffraction and having much more of the available light to work with.

Another thing I almost never see in books, videos, forums or whatever is "it depends". Frequently it does depend that your seeing and technique often relies on differing circumstances as there's rarely one way to accomplish a goal.

Someone I've mentored for a while and has become an accomplished photographer is contemplating taking a national proficiency diploma in photography here in the UK. What concerns me is that she is not allowed to say what settings were used nor make any written comment about photos that go into the submitted folder. So she is dependant on what the teacher's/examiner's own style and requirements are. Unlike the education system, algorithms have no place in judging photography. And as we NOW know algorithm is a dirty word in education .She could submit a brilliant photo but if the teacher/examiner doesn't like it then it would get marked down.

So, that technique I mentioned about using lower F numbers to take great landscapes would Be hidden from a teacher/examiner, yet properly explained would actually mark the lady out as a thinker with flexibility and the ability to adjust according to what she sees when in the field. That's where it all matters - in the field.

There is a course with the Open college of the Arts Its £1000 for a year online. Its designed to prepare photography students for a degree course. a foundation course.
Have you been in this situation ? Do you think its worthwhile doing the foundation year just to improve your photography skills. If not whats the best way to move up ?

Honestly, I would spend the money for other things :). I can understand your point. I have been in contact with photography through my father more or less all my life, but I never really considered as being a serious hobby of mine. Apart from ordinary travel and holiday photography with analogue SLR this changed about 15 years ago, but I was scuttling on one place or felt creeping forward in terms of skills (for various reasons I couldn't spend enough time). 2014 I met a pro photographer who became my mentor, and is one of my best friends today and from there it all went very fast. Once or twice a year I spent a couple of days with him and that changed it all. I am still lightyears away from people like @Steve and many others here in the forum, but I feel also being lightyears beyond the point I was standing in 2014. The only money I spent on up-skilling (not on equipment ;)) was three things
  1. petrol/expenses/accomodation for visiting people and places to learn and take pictures and
  2. some books - the most recent ones are two of those @Steve offers (y)(y)(y).
The only other investment was time in terms of spending it for being at places like this one here, finding out that
  • whenever you have a question you can be sure that others have - or have had - the same problem,
  • there is (almost) always somebody who has solved it already for himself and is happy to share her/his ideas with others,
  • there are always people that know more and different things, which doesn't mean that you can't get in the position of helping other fairly quickly - sometimes just by asking the right question rather than giving an answer.
Of course, if you go for a professional carreer in photography, this would be a totally different story, becasue certificates are still an important part in self-marketing... not necesarily for getting the job done and to make a client happy in the end 😁.

Practice, experiment, and buy better gear. People will tell you that more expensive gear doesn't make you a better photographer, but it does help you produce better images. If not, we'd all be using point and shoot cameras

Regardless, know your equipment inside and out. You have to know what the strengths and weaknesses of your equipment are. You can't improve unless you know which settings will improve the images. Case in point: metering. Many ok images can be improved by a change in metering.

Be a student of the game. Asking this question was a great first start.

1) Print your photos.

2) Show your photos publicly.

3) Enter your photos into established, professionally juried photo contests.

4) Have a thick skin and learn from feedback from the right sources.

One thing I have done to teach more than anything else, is to shoot side by side with someone. I talk constantly about how, why I am setting my camera up this way, why I am meeting an hour before sunrise to get into the field. I talk about the subject’s tendencies, why aperture priority may be better than manual early and late in the day because of birds flying into and out of shadows, when to shoot manual, why shutter priority for aviation, why manual for astronomical, when to use center weighted, spot, manual, the differences in metering between bodies, why I sometimes meter on white birds and add +ev, or use matrix metering with -ev, it truly can be done both ways, but why... I talk about why I am doing what I am doing. When do you turn auto iso on, or off, or use back button focus. Etc etc.

As pointed out above in other posts, two shooters can be side by side, with different settings and achieve nearly the same results. Nothing wrong with that. Much like in post processing, a myriad of techniques.

Seat time, experimentation, find a mentor, plus good forums and sites for info, technique, and constructive comments.

If you want to learn, besides all the great materials, clinics, workshops, shoot next to someone who takes images that you want to take, someone who is willing to talk and have them next to you as you shoot. The best workshops do this.

I think I really learned photography when I went from 35mm film to large format. While LF won't work for most of what I'm now interested in, at the time it forced me to slow down and think about every shot. The expense alone of a 4x5 sheet (or 8x10 sheet!) of chrome makes you stop and re-think every setting. The concepts of image circle, circle of confusion along with tilts and shifts all contribute to a greater understanding of how it all works. Looking at a scene and figuring out how a given exposure will render the components give one a look into how matrix metering works and an appreciation for how fast it does it!

I am a retired teacher and coach and photography has been one of my passions for 40+ years. I enjoy shooting sports, wildlife, travel, family, and landscapes. You are probably already a better photographer than I am, but I still really love what I can do with photography. I am going to respond more from the teacher/coach perspective than the photographer perspective.

First, it is important to know what you want to learn and what skills you feel you need to improve on. Be certain that the classes you wish to take address those areas. It is not a good use of time or money to be in a class that does not address your needs or hold your interest.

First as a teacher, make sure you know how you learn best and the best delivery method for what you want to learn. There are some things that can best be learned through books, videos, or other online methods by yourself and some that desperately need the interaction with a good teacher and other students. If you need the structure of an organized class find it, if you can create and follow you own learning path that is fine too.

As a coach, I think sports and wildlife photography is a lot like playing a sport. You learn skills, prepare for as many situations as you can, learn to take advantage of your strengths, limit your weaknesses, learn to react and adjust as necessary, and create a game day plan. Then on game day you hope your preparation pays off, sometimes it does and sometimes it does not, but then you honestly and critically evaluate your efforts, and go through the same process all over again to get better. The games are what tests your skills and makes you better.

This is why I really admire good wildlife photographers. When photographing wildlife, you have little control over your subject, background, light, weather, and a host of other issues that may arise. You learn and practice as many skills and techniques as you can in preparation and hope that when the opportunity presents itself you can react quickly and put it all together to capture great images. If it does not happen, you keep developing your skills set and look for another opportunity. There is just no substitution for this process!

There may be lots of ways to learn the skills but the only way to learn to apply the skills is to put them into practice as often as possible.

It is one thing to know how to use a hammer, another to be a great builder. (OK that is an old guy expression)

Best wishes in your photography journey!

Thank you Marty D, I found your write up very interesting and agree with all you say, I think Wildlife Photographers are a determined and skill full bunch, for the very reason most times NOTHING is in your control, with the exception of camera settings and location / Direction of Approach. I Know where my weaknesses are and I have made the decision to
try to tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience available in this fabulous forum. I will also seek out some TOP QUALITY workshops with professional photographers because
I have read that there have been occasions where the student has left feeling like he/she have been visited by DICK TURPIN ! ( A famous English Highway Robber). I will most certainly do my research!

Practice, know your camera and all the settings and how to select the correct options for a particular situation. Learn how to read the light in any situation and know when to dial in adjustments as required. Since metering has caused some concerns, consider what your subject and background are and experiment with the various metering modes. If you understand how a cameras metering mode works you should be able to take a pretty good guess as to what you should select first. Take some test shots and keep an eye on that histogram and watch out for excessive "blinkies". Dial in some exposure compensation as required. Steve's books are a fantastic resource but it all comes down to practice and take advantage of these forums to ask questions.

My best tip right now: step out of your comfort zone.

Yes, get the knowledge under your belt, the camera and how it works, the art of composition and light, the courses, etc. But if you're still just making sure you have a camera with you and trust that the magic will come along, you will continue to have a low success rate.

You need to decided what you want to shoot and take the time and effort to go there, be there at the right time of day. Travel and camp/lodge in the area and visit the same location several times a day. Scout things out, then wait for the right light. It may not happen that day, but the next. Make a base camp and drive out before dawn to a location. and at the end of day, drive / hike somewhere and shoot until dark and come back to your base camp in the dark. Base camp can be home, but if you want to hit new spots or shoot new things that don't exist around home, you will eventually need to venture further out.

It's hard work. The more you want it, the better you get, the more you will do the work and put out the effort. This is true whether it's fine art, commercial work, or hobby photography.

All of that is very difficult if you try to fold it into a vacation with family / friends (who are not photographers).

Chris

Stevie n - I'd invest that grand in other ways of furthering your knowledge.
I enrolled for the OCA BA course a few years ago and ditched it after the first 'year'.
Granted, it was a different course to the one you're talking about, but I didn't feel like I was learning anything I didn't already know.
What really annoyed me was that the whole course was based around several of Michael Freeman books - The Photographer's Eye being the main one.
Now I know that a course has to be based on something, but I couldn't find a reference or credit to Michael Freeman anywhere in the reading list or bibliography for the course - I actually had that book on my bookshelf and instantly recognised many of the images from it and realised that I could save £700 a term simply by properly studying Freeman's books (Sorry Steve!!) and working through the exercises he suggested. If you're interested in the exercises they set, I'd be glad to let you know what they are - and what pages of the books they're on...

I will, of course, add that you'll learn more from Steve's Backcountry Gallery ebooks. (There, I feel better now....)

Assuming, perhaps not rightly so, that I am at that "next level...." I took classes, studied from multiple books and read multiple articles, including a lot of the Ansel Adams information, got an A.A. degree in Art: Photography, went on multiple tours with many really good photographers, including Steve, took thousands of images, wildlife, nature, landscape-urban landscape-etc., played around with DOF and shutter speeds and aperture, shot in difficult situations (low light, lots going on, etc.). I'm still doing all those things so maybe I haven't actually hit that next level since I keep trying to "step up my game." I'd say do what makes you feel comfortable and that you are reaching your goals, assuming you have set goals. Setting very specific goals is one way to reach that next level.

I think that everyone has offered good, helpful advice and you should take it all to heart. Personally, I've been serious about photography since I was a teenager with my own darkroom. I got my first Nikon F when I was in Vietnam. Unfortunately, I didn't do much with it and my limited skills stagnated. Digital camera reignited my interest and imagination. For one thing, since I'm not using film, I can shoot thousands of images on a single trip. That, more than anything else has advanced my knowledge because I can (and do) try everything.

Next, I'd say taking online courses, like those offered by Steve, are an extremely cost-effective way to shoot right up the learning curve. His books are also excellent tutorials.

Finally, to cap off the initial learning experience, consider going on a photo safari with an expert photographer so that you can get real-world, immediate feedback.

Just my two cents.

I've had a love affair with cameras and photography for about ten years I've had next to zero training. Every thing I know has come from books, Internet and magazines.
As my equipment has improved so has my photography, I am currently reading steve perry's ebooks, I find them extremely useful, he backs up what he tells you with evidence.
Once i've taken all this information in I will try to use the knowledge to improve. At the moment there are some situations that are straight forward and I feel confident.
On the other hand I think that when the cameras metre becomes confused I feel I have the gear and no idea ! what do I do to land the image. Its frustrating and I want to become more consistent. There is a course with the Open college of the Arts Its £1000 for a year online. Its designed to prepare photography students for a degree course. a foundation course.

Zero training? How well are you grounded in the basics of photo? Exposure, composition, etc? Do you understand how it all works together? I'd wager you do...and if so, the expen$ive prep course would be reinforcing, but largely repetetive...and a waste of money. Education is good, but doing is best. Shoot lots; the more we shoot the better we get.
Join a Photography club, and/or take a class. Some schools offer "night classes" for reasonable amounts. You will meet nice people, but be aware there are Jerques in photo that delight in downgrading others' work , in order to make them and their work seem better (in their eyes) than others'. Unfortunately, some of those individuals are "teachers." If you should be in such an unfortunate place, learn all you can from that person, and pass through as quickly as you can. Photography is not as hard as some would make it. One old-timey photographer said "The mechanics of Photography can be taught in an hour, but...the EYE takes a lifetime of development!". Another '60s photozine Guru said "Avoid Gut Busting" that's reading and reading about any subject and never doing. We all do that to some extent. Shoot, evaluate, adjust, (write down what you like, or you will forget...trust me, at 80, I know this!;)) Repeat until you "have it".
What is a camera? A box that contains light sensitive media, and a mounting place for a lens to conduct light to that media. That's all. All the additional new-fangled features make us Dinosaurs Dance and Sing, Matrix metering,:love: but, in the end, mostly we go back to the basics...Aperture, Shutter speed, and ISO, point the electronic master, and shoot! Good luck with your efforts...it will be worth it!

Have look at the teachings of Blake Rudis. f64 Acadamy has many free Youtube tutorials. You could also take out a short subscription and check out the mulitude of courses on f64 Elite. Probably the best Photoshop (PS) teacher on the web. Everything is in bite sized chunks. BEWARE - you will be introduced to his PS panels. Mind-blowing!

Knowledge is important, but travel is more important er! I find that new inspirational places make for better photos. Why? I guess we try harder. There are folk out there who take fantastic shots with there phone on auto, you can have the best gear and all the expertise in the world but if there's no shot there's no shot.

Back