How to step up to the next level ? How did you do it ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is an interesting thread to me as it reminds me of what I realized on one of the first workshops I attended. I was sitting in a room and we had all been asked to show 10 of our images taken on the trip. On the first day of the workshop we had said a little bit about ourselves and many of the people in the workshop had been taking images for 20 years or so. I was maybe two years into photography and I thought, "wow, all these people must be really good photographers as they've been at it so long." I was almost shocked when I saw the photographs of some of these long-time photographers as they looked to me like something a "Happy Snapper" would take. It was then that I realized it's not really about how long you've been taking photographs, although length of time can matter, it's about how much you've taken in and mentally processed in the time you've been photographing. Later I noted to myself that the problem for that group of people I was with is that some of them had been taking, over the course of that 20 or so years, the same photograph they took that first year they were learning...they never got beyond that first year. Someone else here said that "if there's no shot, there's no shot" and often that is the case, but not always. Sometimes we have to look really hard for the shot and maybe we'll see something that no one else saw. Getting to that "next level" takes time, patient, a desire to learn and grow in photography, and the willingness to take the hard road of getting to know everything you can about the craft.

Please understand that I have no pretensions of being a great, or even above average photographer. One thing I've found helps me is taking a very ordinary landscape and trying to see how interesting I can make it - both when photographing it and later in post. Rarely do I get a great photo out of this process, but it does force me to use my imagination and every tool and technique I know.

I would suggest to get acquainted with a local group. I live in southern Delaware by the ocean. We have a local group, Coastal Camera Club, CCC. They meet once a month with a guest speaker. They have had some great such as David Hobby and Kristi Odom who is a Nikon Ambassador. In March David held 2, 1 day Flash Photography class which I took and was well worth the cost. He was going to speak at the monthly meeting later in March but due to the pandemic it had to be canceled. But the flash class was well worth it. Now everything is being held online but it looks like they have some good speakers and some excellent training classes that I'm looking forward to. You can also meet some great people that may also help you along your journey.

Back