How well does the 500 PF lens work with the Z9?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wink Jones

Supporting Member
Marketplace
My Z9 will be here soon. I am a non professional shooter. I just cannot convince myself to spend 6k for the Z800 PF. I can get the 500 PF lens for $3,295 right now, but it is not a Z lens. How is the tracking and focusing with the Z9 and the 500 PF?

The 500PF is, IMO, as good or better on the Z9 than it is on F-mount cameras. I've had a lot of fun with it on the Z9 :)

However, it also does not have all the features you find with a Z mount lens - lens fn buttons 1 and 2, control ring, etc. It also works differently from a control standpoint. IMO, there is value to having consistency from lens to lens and it's one of the things I'm struggling with at the moment with my Z9. I have a mix of adapted glass and F-mount glass and it's tough to set important functions to things like lens fn2 buttons and control rings when not all of my lenses have those options.

So, it's not an easy call...

The 500PF is, IMO, as good or better on the Z9 than it is on F-mount cameras. I've had a lot of fun with it on the Z9 :)

However, it also does not have all the features you find with a Z mount lens - lens fn buttons 1 and 2, control ring, etc. It also works differently from a control standpoint. IMO, there is value to having consistency from lens to lens and it's one of the things I'm struggling with at the moment with my Z9. I have a mix of adapted glass and F-mount glass and it's tough to set important functions to things like lens fn2 buttons and control rings when not all of my lenses have those options.

So, it's not an easy call...

Thank you Steve, I will not have too much issue with not having the FN buttons as I do not have any Z lenses at this time. It may actually be a benefit to me as a non professional not to have any yet. I will "muddle" through with what I have, and possibly with the 500 PF or 400 Z as Patrick suggested. I am heartened b y your comments and also those of @bjt3.

I have perceived no problems at all using F mount lenses on Z mount cameras, and this includes using the 500mm PF on the Z7 and Z9. If anything, using the lens on a Z camera is superior because the focus points cover the entire frame and one can attain autofocus at very small apertures compared with an F camera. I have used my 500mm PF with the TC20eiii on the Z cameras, which means 1000mm f11, and the results are excellent. At that small an aperture autofocus is a bit slower--there is no "free lunch" here--but the optical results are amazing.

The 400m f4.5 is undoubtedly an excellent lens, but the bottom line is 500mm vs 400mm. If your main use for the lens favors 500mm, I would have no compunctions at all about getting the 500mm PF, which, after all, is actually available NOW, as opposed to who knows when the 400 will actually get into the hands of ordinary folk. I will add that I don't really use the fn2 buttons. Maybe my loss, but ignorance is bliss :)

I love my 500PF and just used it for almost three weeks in Yellowstone with the lens firmly attached and never leaving the Z9. It's a great lens for any camera. I'm taking it to Africa in a month or so. I think you will be happy with it and the ability to handhold the setup, even though the camera is heavy.

The Z9 and 500PF are a killer combo. I spent two months in Ecuador this spring with that combo photographing hummingbirds, tanagers, toucans, and primates. The z9 brought new life to that lens after using it with the D850 for the last couple of years. The 500PF is at that perfect balance of weight, reach, and quality. It gets way more use than my 600 f4 fl.

I have perceived no problems at all using F mount lenses on Z mount cameras, and this includes using the 500mm PF on the Z7 and Z9. If anything, using the lens on a Z camera is superior because the focus points cover the entire frame and one can attain autofocus at very small apertures compared with an F camera. I have used my 500mm PF with the TC20eiii on the Z cameras, which means 1000mm f11, and the results are excellent. At that small an aperture autofocus is a bit slower--there is no "free lunch" here--but the optical results are amazing.

The 400m f4.5 is undoubtedly an excellent lens, but the bottom line is 500mm vs 400mm. If your main use for the lens favors 500mm, I would have no compunctions at all about getting the 500mm PF, which, after all, is actually available NOW, as opposed to who knows when the 400 will actually get into the hands of ordinary folk. I will add that I don't really use the fn2 buttons. Maybe my loss, but ignorance is bliss :)

Thank you.

I love my 500PF and just used it for almost three weeks in Yellowstone with the lens firmly attached and never leaving the Z9. It's a great lens for any camera. I'm taking it to Africa in a month or so. I think you will be happy with it and the ability to handhold the setup, even though the camera is heavy.

Thank you.

I don't use the lens buttons either. And I love the 300PF and 500 PF on my Z6II

Thank you.

Another vote for the 500PF on the Z9. I find it just as easy to use as the Z 100-400 and not noticeably more heavy - with 100mm extra reach.

Thank you.

The Z9 and 500PF are a killer combo. I spent two months in Ecuador this spring with that combo photographing hummingbirds, tanagers, toucans, and primates. The z9 brought new life to that lens after using it with the D850 for the last couple of years. The 500PF is at that perfect balance of weight, reach, and quality. It gets way more use than my 600 f4 fl.

Thank you.

I am seeing a definite trend here. I thank all of you for the positive input and I am going to go place my order now.

That is especially good to hear and backs up even further my decision to go buy this lens.
If you asked me whether to get the 400 f/4.5 or 500 PF, I could not answer that. I like the extra range of the 500 PF (can get to 700 w/ 1.4 TC) but prefer to simplicity of having all my lenses native Z mount and not having to use/carry a FTZ and an extra set of TCs (down to 3 FX lenses: 180-400 which is fantastic lens, hope someday Nikon updates this lens; 500 PF which might be replaced by the 400 F/4.5, and Sigma 150 Macro. If nikon ever made a collared long macro I would switch).

The 500 pf worked on both my Z6II and Z9 as well or better than they did on my DSLR's, but as @Steve pointed out it is not a Z lens so does not have the function ring and other Z lens features I like. I just got paid this afternoon for the 500pf I sold. Being a bird photographer first and everything else next the 500 consistently had to short of a focal length for me. The 500 used to be a back up to my 600 f/4E now with my Z100-400 and my Z800 PF it was never used so sold it.

I have now sold all of my f mount lenses (except for a 50mm f/1.8). I just ordered a Z400 f/4.5 for my wife since she likes the specs for size and length etc..

The 500 pf worked on both my Z6II and Z9 as well or better than they did on my DSLR's, but as @Steve pointed out it is not a Z lens so does not have the function ring and other Z lens features I like. I just got paid this afternoon for the 500pf I sold. Being a bird photographer first and everything else next the 500 consistently had to short of a focal length for me. The 500 used to be a back up to my 600 f/4E now with my Z100-400 and my Z800 PF it was never used so sold it.

I have now sold all of my f mount lenses (except for a 50mm f/1.8). I just ordered a Z400 f/4.5 for my wife since she likes the specs for size and length etc..

Dang! I wish I had asked this while you still had your lens. I would have loved to have driven across town to have looked at the lens and bought it from you.

500mm pf works beautifully on the z9 from my experience. No problems. Sharp piccies.

Thank you. My new Z9 and my new 500 PF are both scheduled to arrive today. I had to wait quite a while for the camera, the lens was, "Okay, free shipping, be there on Thursday..."

Hi, been using 500 mm pf + FTZ 2 on Z9 since last December. Few observations

1. Works beautifully and produces sharp pictures for many scenarios esp with decent light.
2. Got some amazing birds in flight with this combo. But focusing birds coming straight at you is bit of hit and miss.
3. Focus breathing is seen in many cases esp Focus shifted from far to closer. Observed it in a hide setting when mounted on a monopod. Else used to think issue was handheld motion..
4. Struggles with focus when working with small skittish song birds in clutter. It could be due to my camera settings.
5. Low light focus performance could be better but once again due to my camera settings.
6. Earlier I could handhold 500 mm pf on 7500 or 850 whole day, but Z9 is bit unforgiving requires monopod or tripod or stable base.

Many of the above issues are seen with firmware 2.0 of Z9 as well. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
The 500PF is excellent on my Z7II and presumably the Z9 although I haven't used it there much. However…IMO the Z 100-400 is just as good optically on the Z bodies and with the addition of the 1.4TC it might not be quite as good in 1:1 on LR but on screen which is where about 99.5% of my output is viewed the difference is not visible…and the zoom provides far more flexibility than the fixed lens does. I can honestly say that since I got the 100-400…which was post Z7II and pre Z9…I have used my 500PF on maybe 20 shots…and that was actually on my D7500 and neither of the Zs.

I put the battery on to charge and went to a meeting this afternoon. I have been playing with my new camera and lens since I finished the meal I cooked for my wife and me.

First comments.
  • The camera fits my hand as if they were made for each other.
  • I LOVE having the horizontal and vertical shutter buttons perfectly placed.
  • I need to change my order for the 1.4TC as I ordered the 1.4 Z TC, and it will not work. Thank goodness it has not yet shipped.
  • I got some okay hand held shots, but I will be using the tripod whenever possible.
  • What I am seeing on the photo is not quite what I was seeing in the view finder. I would appreciate any advice on this.
  • I am going through Steve's book and setting it up "properly".
  • I find the 500mm is not quite as long a reach as I had envisioned. But for the extra 3k for the 800, I will live with it.
  • Man, oh man, this thing is QUIET!!!
I am passing out tired and will be going to bed soon. I will resume playing learning how to use this camera tomorrow...

Thank you for the excellent advice. I am going to go watch some of Henry Hudson's you tube videos. He, like Steve, is one of my heroes. (So, why did I forget all about him until someone reminded me? Hey, I am old, I am entitled to be a little forgetful.)

Oh, and lest I forget, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the multi directional live view panel on the back.

Back