I did a thing….New Camera in the House Sony a9III

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
After months of debate if I wanted to try the Sony a9III I decided to buy one and give it a try. It arrived yesterday and I have it all set up and ready to take out into the field.

I’ve been using the a1 for just over 3 years now and I still frequently am impressed by it. I use the a1 for wildlife, bird, sports, Astro, landscape, cityscape and people photography. The a1 has proven to be a perfect do it all camera. I’ve shot some 4k and 8k video with it and been very impressed with the results.

So you’re probably wondering why would I want any camera but an a1? Well it is missing a few things that I find myself wanting. Pre-capture is first and foremost a feature I want and I want to still use RAW. Second high on the list is higher frame rates in 14bit RAW. An improved rear screen that does more than tilt, bug eye af will be a nice addition, animal eye af in video and animal and bird eye af without having to toggle between the two are just a few of the options that I’ve wanted.

Now that the a9III is out it checked all of the boxes of options I’ve wanted in the a1 and will likely get some of them in an a1MK2 but it is very doubtful it will get the higher frame rates. I’m not sure it will even increase beyond the 30 fps in the current camera and that’s ok. I suspect it will retain the same 50MP sensor which is also ok.

The a9III gets me some of these new features faster than waiting for the next a1 but will give me the extra speed and global shutter which I may embrace once I use the a9 more but the a1 sensor never disappointed me.

My apprehension for the a9III has been the 24.6MP and the cost. I have been wanting a third body which kind of tipped the scales for me. I considered the a7R5 which gives me a lot of the above but falls considerably short in the speed catagory and I really don’t find a need for the extra MP.

I have received multiple feedback from other photographers that I will hate the camera and not to waste my money and I’ve had the polar opposite (only one has actually used the camera). Keeping in mind this camera won’t be replacing either of my a1’s (no intention but who knows maybe it’s that good!) and I intend it to bring capabilities to my tool box that I currently have been lacking with my current kit. Ultimately I know it already checks all those boxes but at the expense and the lower MP it’s going to need to wow me to justify the expense. Also, keeping in the back of my mind I’ll likely be upgrading my a1’s to the newer model whenever those come out.

So follow along with me as I explore this camera and ultimately decide if I’m going to keep it or send it back. It’s going to be an interesting month of shooting!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Here are some comparisons between the bodies and more changes than I’ve seen reported on YouTube.

Notice the drastic change in the look, size and feel of the shutter button and on and off switch. The C1 and C2 buttons are easier to reach and in a nice position. I like the addition of the camera, video S&O switch under the main control dial. It makes it a lot faster to get from one setting to the next.

They have also changed the location of the camera strap lugs (I wish no camera had them, so annoying).
IMG_1621.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

As in the above pictures and below you will notice the top cap where the c1 and c2 buttons are is more integrated into the grip.

IMG_1595.jpeg

The ports and doors have been moved around and changed up.

IMG_1599.jpeg

The grip on the a9 is better, some overall textures have been slightly adjusted and feel nice in the hand.

IMG_1607.jpeg

I found it interesting when sitting them on their face the grip is a lot different. Besides the added buttons the shape and height of the camera is bigger on the a9III when in this position. They moved the strap lug as well. They also added exposure comp wheel (assuming that is how you set it) to the battery grip as well which is great! I love me some Zebras!

IMG_1608.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t shoot Sonys but from what you’ve written I think you will be very happy with your results. The 24mp sensor is a non issue for serious photographers. Flagship DSLR models from recent years only had 20mps and the results are amazing. Your new 9iii mirrorless appears to have controls in familiar locations and the ergonomics nearly identical to the A1. Enjoy it and don’t second guess the decision….

Another interesting change is the position of the record and af buttons. The a9 record button has been moved further to the right side which makes it a lot easier to access. They also centered the joy stick and AF-On button. With the a1 they are slightly off center of each other.

IMG_1611.jpeg

IMG_1612.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t shoot Sonys but from what you’ve written I think you will be very happy with your results. The 24mp sensor is a non issue for serious photographers. Flagship DSLR models from recent years only had 20mps and the results are amazing. Your new 9iii mirrorless appears to have controls in familiar locations and the ergonomics nearly identical to the A1. Enjoy it and don’t second guess the decision….
My wallet wants me to not like it lol. But yes very similar which is good!

To build on my initial thoughts is I am glad I came from 3 years of shooting the a1 because if you thought that menu was long just wait till you dive into an a9III menu. I didn't struggle at all but if this is your first Sony body you are in for a long journey of figuring out all the customizations. The amount of customization with this camera is light years ahead of the a1. A lot more choices around af, button assignment, and over all customization. I found this a delight rather than intimidating. It takes the a1 and spices it up a few notches. It is one of the things I have come to love about Sony is how versatile it is to set up the way I want it for my use case. Options are your friend if you embrace them!

Not a secret but they changed the battery use in the a9III. It now uses both batteries at the same time which they say adds to the efficiency and provides more usable run time from the batteries than when draining separately. You now only have 1 battery % gauge to keep an eye on. I like this change but a miss on Sony part as of today is they don't offer a two battery charger. They still only ship a single battery charger and don't have a dual charger. Hopefully this will come as anyone running a grip will need to charge two batteries not just possibly one. Fortunately I have a couple aftermarket chargers that work well but Sony should develop an OEM solution.

The buffer is significantly better than the a1. Lossless raw at 30 fps or even 60 fps is much deeper than the a1. Granted the file size is generally half since it is generally half the MP (I am assuming) but when considering to do 30 fps with the a1 you are in compressed RAW so a smaller file than Lossless but 60 fps lossless is much deeper than an a1 in 30fps in compressed. I take this as a major win!

Using pre capture clears extremely fast! The new file management to view in camera as a video is awesome! Auto tagging features so you know where burst started and which ones are pre capture vs when you pressed the shutter button is a great idea! Oh and that is customizable as well :).

Just a few of my early thoughts playing with it, diving into the menu system and setting it up to match my a1's and take advantage of all the extra features! I have spent about 7 hours playing around with it and diving in which includes I read the entire manual :).

I am blessed to have communication with the Sony rep who doesn't live far from me who has offered to help with anything I need as I explore this new camera.

More to come as I shoot it out in the field!

I have posted some videos on my Instagram David_tibbals_photography that demonstrates the buffer and how quickly it clears. I have more videos to come so check it out and if you like give me a follow :).

Keep the updates coming. I've been very tempted to pick up an A9III but so far have resisted. All the things you talk about are the same things I've been tempted by.
Yeah I feel your pain! Arthur Morris comments pushed me over the edge. He is enjoying all the extra wing positions etc that you just don’t get at 20 or 30 fps. He goes I really didn’t want to like this camera but it’s been amazing.

He has a lot of blog posts on the camera and the 300 f2.8.

i think the key is you just want to optimize to where you fit into the native iso range

it is interesting they're doing noise reduction there. afaik, this isn't very common, but the canons do it (eg r3)

Great results. The z9 and a1 use the same sensor, despite what Nikon marketing claims. These are best-in-class, together with the r5 and r3, z8, a7R5, etc. Can't go wrong with any body, with nuances specific to user, and of course whichever lens system you buy into.

Here are my first pics from using the camera. It was a slow day but a couple of shots that would have been pretty difficult with the a1. The Eastern Blue Bird shots are from leaving the nest at 120fps. I am not to sure I would have gotten these wing poses without the extra FPS. The burst was a fraction of a second. Oh handheld if that matters to anyone :).
a9III-Test-A9300558-2.jpg

a9III-Test-A9300558-3.jpg

a9III-Test-A9300558-4.jpg

Ok as I mentioned above I finally got the a9III out for a test drive this morning. Between constant rain and work having it sit on my desk for 4 days till I got to use it was torture!

My first impressions is damn it is fast! Of course cranking off 120 fps will give you that impression but I am more referring to how the af works. For the record the a1 has always been a delight and like any af system isn't perfect. The a9III falls into the same camp. It isn't perfect however I haven't adjusted any of the factory defaults yet to see what tweaking can be done.

While it isn't perfect it is stupid fast. If it makes an error I have never had a camera that jumps back to the subject faster and lock on then this camera. it was so damn fast it stood out as wait a minute this camera fixed jumping to a branch and back to a bird so fast I almost didn't realize it lost focus. So for that it is a big win.

The eye detection is definitely faster and stickier than the a1. I had the a1 with me as well and while it is good the a9III is considerably better. I will admit that came as a bit of a surprise. I shot zone and zone tracking all day.

One obvious difference in the a9III ability to find the subject and lock onto the eye is I didn't have to leave zone even when the bird was smaller in the frame and in a tree. With the a1 it will almost always fail at the eye in this situation but 50/50 shot on locking on to a bird in zone in a dense tree. The a9III on the other hand did it and I was a bit surprised. If the bird turned the box went to the body and the very moment the eye became visible it moved to the eye. I was left impressed.

Now let's talk about pre capture. That is a beast and for a fact is a game changer to any photographer with a camera that will do it! The Eastern Bluebird was coming and going from the nest and the two photos I posted above are frame 558 and 564. Yup you did the math right there are 6 frames between these two!!!!! In the first one the feet are just leaving the tree. But wait there is more.....I have a bunch of frames before frame 558! I have the camera set at a half second pre capture and 120 fps. Yeah the likelihood of missing the shot is not high.

I have a learning curve with pre capture as a couple of times I forgot to push the button lol. Coming from a dinosaur 😄 that doesn't have it I have become accustomed to not pushing the button if I missed the moment. Well with pre capture you have a Time Machine built in and actually can still capture the moment. I am going to have to work on this one but I got a chuckle a couple of times realizing what I did.

Post processing didn't feel any different than the a1. Files are easy to adjust, noise was nothing unusual and a little Topaz and well you see how they look. DXO doesn't process the a9III yet but I heard it will next month. All 3 of the images have some crop in them but the files seem to hold up just fine. Maybe 24.6 MP isn't that much of a handicap. Time will tell I suppose but I plan on doing some test printing after this weekend and see how they look on paper.

To recap the first outing was a positive one even though the action was slow. I was able to play around with some new features and already seeing the benefit of them. It is still shinny and new to me so I will see how I feel in the coming weeks and tens of thousands of images later.

Let me know if you have any questions and more to come as I explore this new super computer!

Ok as I mentioned above I finally got the a9III out for a test drive this morning. Between constant rain and work having it sit on my desk for 4 days till I got to use it was torture!

My first impressions is damn it is fast! Of course cranking off 120 fps will give you that impression but I am more referring to how the af works. For the record the a1 has always been a delight and like any af system isn't perfect. The a9III falls into the same camp. It isn't perfect however I haven't adjusted any of the factory defaults yet to see what tweaking can be done.

While it isn't perfect it is stupid fast. If it makes an error I have never had a camera that jumps back to the subject faster and lock on then this camera. it was so damn fast it stood out as wait a minute this camera fixed jumping to a branch and back to a bird so fast I almost didn't realize it lost focus. So for that it is a big win.

The eye detection is definitely faster and stickier than the a1. I had the a1 with me as well and while it is good the a9III is considerably better. I will admit that came as a bit of a surprise. I shot zone and zone tracking all day.

One obvious difference in the a9III ability to find the subject and lock onto the eye is I didn't have to leave zone even when the bird was smaller in the frame and in a tree. With the a1 it will almost always fail at the eye in this situation but 50/50 shot on locking on to a bird in zone in a dense tree. The a9III on the other hand did it and I was a bit surprised. If the bird turned the box went to the body and the very moment the eye became visible it moved to the eye. I was left impressed.

Now let's talk about pre capture. That is a beast and for a fact is a game changer to any photographer with a camera that will do it! The Eastern Bluebird was coming and going from the nest and the two photos I posted above are frame 558 and 564. Yup you did the math right there are 6 frames between these two!!!!! In the first one the feet are just leaving the tree. But wait there is more.....I have a bunch of frames before frame 558! I have the camera set at a half second pre capture and 120 fps. Yeah the likelihood of missing the shot is not high.

I have a learning curve with pre capture as a couple of times I forgot to push the button lol. Coming from a dinosaur 😄 that doesn't have it I have become accustomed to not pushing the button if I missed the moment. Well with pre capture you have a Time Machine built in and actually can still capture the moment. I am going to have to work on this one but I got a chuckle a couple of times realizing what I did.

Post processing didn't feel any different than the a1. Files are easy to adjust, noise was nothing unusual and a little Topaz and well you see how they look. DXO doesn't process the a9III yet but I heard it will next month. All 3 of the images have some crop in them but the files seem to hold up just fine. Maybe 24.6 MP isn't that much of a handicap. Time will tell I suppose but I plan on doing some test printing after this weekend and see how they look on paper.

To recap the first outing was a positive one even though the action was slow. I was able to play around with some new features and already seeing the benefit of them. It is still shinny and new to me so I will see how I feel in the coming weeks and tens of thousands of images later.

Let me know if you have any questions and more to come as I explore this new super computer!

This is stating to seal the deal for me. I might get one for my Botswana trip and see what it can do :)

This is stating to seal the deal for me. I might get one for my Botswana trip and see what it can do :)
You should! Think about the bird leaving the nest. How many people could time the split second it emerges and takes flight? Let alone have dozens of shots before it’s a foot away. Oh and all in focus! It’s likely going to be an additional tool in the tool box for me.

Back