I did a thing….New Camera in the House Sony a9III

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Last night I went to check on my local Bald Eagles and while I didn’t have any luck with them a butterfly came by so I tried insect mode and OMG that was impressive! It tracked it with my 600GM with 1.4TC so far if it wasn’t for the green box I couldn’t see it in the viewfinder!

You should! Think about the bird leaving the nest. How many people could time the split second it emerges and takes flight? Let alone have dozens of shots before it’s a foot away. Oh and all in focus! It’s likely going to be an additional tool in the tool box for me.
Precapture is perfect for that situation. Last year I was photographing House Wrens building a nest, I certainly had trouble timing when they would leave the nest to try and get flight shots. I got one shot out of hundreds that I thought was good, hope it’s ok to post the photo in your thread below:

Precapture would have significantly increased my keepers! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new features.

1711303452427.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Precapture is perfect for that situation. Last year I was photographing House Wrens building a nest, I certainly had trouble timing when they would leave the nest to try and get flight shots. I got one shot out of hundreds that I thought was good, hope it’s ok to post the photo in your thread below:

Precapture would have significantly increased my keepers! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new features.

View attachment 85025
Beautiful shot!

I did a few videos on my Instagram page david_tibbals_photography. I did a video of it along with time to clear on each frame rate.
I don’t have access to Instagram. But I believe you, I’m happy for you! Maybe one day I will be able to handhold a Sony 800mm. So far, the weight of the lenses is my personal limiting factor.

You should! Think about the bird leaving the nest. How many people could time the split second it emerges and takes flight? Let alone have dozens of shots before it’s a foot away. Oh and all in focus! It’s likely going to be an additional tool in the tool box for me.
I think I'll sell one of my a1 bodies and my A74 when I get back and put it towards an a9iii :) I'll take the a9iii and my remaining a1 to Botswana and really give it a test drive. Lots of fast stuff there (birds).

I think I'll sell one of my a1 bodies and my A74 when I get back and put it towards an a9iii :) I'll take the a9iii and my remaining a1 to Botswana and really give it a test drive. Lots of fast stuff there (birds).
When is your trip?

That one is in May. I'm leaving for the Serengeti later this week, but no time to make it happen before then (and I like some time with new gear before a trip).
Ahhh ok I’ll be busy in May but was going to offer you the body to take with you.

Ahhh ok I’ll be busy in May but was going to offer you the body to take with you.
Wow, that's super nice of you :) Although, as rough as I am on gear, I'd never take you up on it :)

(You'd see some video where I was dangling over water and wonder what the heck you did LOL!)

I went out to check on my local bald eagles last night and while that was a bust a butterfly flew by so I turned on insect af to see what would happen. Yeah I am impressed! This image was taken with my 600MM F4 and if it wasn't for the little focus point I wouldn't have been able to see the butterfly. This is no crop and to give you an example of how well the file holds up the exposure is adjusted post by +1.25 stops.

Personally this seems more than acceptable.

a9III-Test-A9301142.jpg

Last edited:
I went out this morning more to play than anything serious. The light was horrible, heavy overcast, windy and very low and flat light. But I captured this one at 10,000 ISO. Not an image I would normally take but since the ISO was so high I figured I would to see what it looks like. Not bad considering the conditions but also not an ISO I would lean on to much. Image has no crop and just an auto exposure setting adjustment in Lightroom.
a9III-Test-A9302421.jpg

Here is another one from today. Again horrible overcast skies, no crop basic Lightroom adjustments. ISO 12,800!
a9III-Test-A9302653.jpg

This little guy was under heavy forest canopy. I thought I would share as to highlight the a9III bird af to lock in with a XL focus point, tracking on in heavy cover. It didn't hunt and instantly locked on.

a9III-Test-A9304772.jpg

Here is one from this morning that I actually like. Basic edit with slight crop. I have yet to shoot this camera at base ISO which I would rarely do so the 250 is of zero concern. I have shot a bit at ISO 1250 and it is super clean!

Enjoy!
a9III-Test-A9304783.jpg

Yes handheld. Not sure just says insect. Works on butterflies. More to come as I get more chances to explore it’s capabilities.
You have strong hands.

Regarding insects, it doesn’t have the eye to look for, I’m curious the logic of it.
And, you’re lucky it has a flippy screen. Nikon doesn’t feel like they own it in their flagship. 😡

I recently had the opportunity to photograph basketball players with my A9III.
Nothing to do with wildlife photography, but a good way to see the usefulness of the 120 fps of the A9III.
On the 2 photos below, the images follow each other, taken at 120fps. With an A1, we would have the 1st image and the fifth. The 3 of the center would not exist.
This speed allows to have a very good reading of the decomposition of the movement of the fingers.

Click on images for a larger view

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 09.54.00 copie.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 09.19.46 copie.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'll sell one of my a1 bodies and my A74 when I get back and put it towards an a9iii :)
@Steve That’s what I did, I sold one of my 2 * A1, to buy an A9III.
Absolutely no regrets and the best of both worlds at my disposal.

In addition, the configuration of the A9III is almost the same as that of the A1
The availability of additional features of the A9III sometimes simplifies the setting (The "Main" menu for example).

Back