I did a thing….New Camera in the House Sony a9III

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

@DavidT
You've got me considering an a9III purchase again. I have a trip to Conowingo Dam planned for next month. The speed of this camera could definitely come in-handy.
There is no camera like it when it comes to speed! It simply catches moments that other cameras you have to have a bit of luck on your side.
Have you been to Conowingo? What lens are you taking?
The reason I ask is it’s often a long lens with even a tele territory. It’s not uncommon to be at 800mm plus and still do some cropping. I’d take my a9III with me but depending how well I could fill the frame (depends on what part of the river the eagles are working) I’d possibly use my a1 for the extra MP to crop. If I could fill the frame to limit my cropping the a9III would by far be my first choice.

Cameras are just tools in a tool box but I would say if you are limited to less than 600mm higher MP are your friend out at Conowingo.

@DavidT
You've got me considering an a9III purchase again. I have a trip to Conowingo Dam planned for next month. The speed of this camera could definitely come in-handy.
Here is a recent shot from last week with the a9III and 300GM with 2x. 60 fps and .3 sec pre capture. I’ve got dozens of shots with perfect moment touching the water. I’ve also got 100’s of close but missed shots with my a1 at 20fps. Just an example of an hour to pull this shot off before flying home and the a1 was close but the a9III delivered dozens of perfect moments to choose from.
Many get hung up on the MP but as you can see it looks great and a missed moment is just that. All the MP in the world don’t help when you don’t have the perfect moment.
I don’t have the luxury of returning week after week to try and nail that shot with all the elements falling into place. Bottom line is if the aliens are visiting and I get that one moment to capture it on a card I’m taking my a9III over any other camera!

@DavidT
Lastly I’ll leave you with this. If you are in North America check out Greentoe. I bet you can get a USA warranty brand new a9III from a US dealer for at least $1k off if not more. I’d probably offer $1,500 off retail and see what happens. I just bought the 300GM at Greentoe for $5,100 delivered, someone else on here got it a week later for $5k same US dealer. There is a thread about that on here as well if you search for my name or 300GM. At that price the a9III is a super no brainer.

Lastly I’ll leave you with this. If you are in North America check out Greentoe. I bet you can get a USA warranty brand new a9III from a US dealer for at least $1k off if not more. I’d probably offer $1,500 off retail and see what happens. I just bought the 300GM at Greentoe for $5,100 delivered, someone else on here got it a week later for $5k same US dealer. There is a thread about that on here as well if you search for my name or 300GM. At that price the a9III is a super no brainer.
Good to know. I also felt the same way about missed shots when using the a9III vs my A1. MP does not matter if you miss a shot completely. I've got the A1, 600GM, and the 1.4x TC (300mm GM as a secondary choice for closer action)

I was not even aware of this site. Made a $4500 offer for an a9III. We shall see what happens.

I was not even aware of this site. Made a $4500 offer for an a9III. We shall see what happens.
Keep us posted. I wasn't either but a friend of mine suggested it and I was shocked at the deals you can get. My 300GM came from Cardinal Camera in PA, USA, full warranty, no tax, no shipping and arrived 3 days later for $5,100! Normally after tax and everything I would have paid $6,500 so what a deal!

Keep us posted. I wasn't either but a friend of mine suggested it and I was shocked at the deals you can get. My 300GM came from Cardinal Camera in PA, USA, full warranty, no tax, no shipping and arrived 3 days later for $5,100! Normally after tax and everything I would have paid $6,500 so what a deal!
Offered up $4500. Got a counter offer of $5175. Ended up buying it from a seller on Fred Miranda forums for $4650. VERUH NICE

Back