I Really Really want a Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AstroEd

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am super craving getting a Nikon z9, I am in the process of getting a debt consolidation loan and am tempted to add another $7,000 to it to get the z9, F mount lens adaptor, extra battery, 2 Delkin Black 325GB cards, CFExpress card reader, and a Lowepro tactical or similar backpack to hold both the D500 and the Z9 (Not sure if it will hold my f mount sigma 150-600 or 500mm PF large lenses).

My thought are that I can use my current lenses until I pay off the z9 items and then save for true z mount lenses (NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S, and NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S for wildlife I doubt I will ever afford the awesome f/2.8, and f/4 lenses so I will never be getting as amazing images as you professionals, but I should do ok all the same).

I read that the Nikon F mount 500PF works well with the z9 and adaptor, not sure if the teleconverters work well.

OR should I wait for the Z8? What rumors I am reading currently seems the price is so close to the Z9 that it might be best to get the z9 and be done with it.

I am super craving getting a Nikon z9, I am in the process of getting a debt consolidation loan and am tempted to add another $7,000 to it to get the z9
Honestly I would NOT recommend purchasing photo items on credit especially if you already have debt you're consolidating.

OR should I wait for the Z8?
At this point I'd definitely wait at least another couple of weeks as an announcement (might not be the Z8 folks are predicting) is imminent.

Also I'd take a long hard look at what your current camera gear does not do for you that you feel you need. No doubt the AF tracking modes in the latest flagship mirrorless cameras are fantastic for certain high speed action situations but ask yourself if lacking those modes is what's really keeping you from your next step photographically.

For a lot of folks there are other more basic things to master like exposure, composition, reading light, field craft that's a more immediate need than a camera with the best AF tracking features. Maybe you've got all the rest of that dialed in but the greatest camera won't solve issues in those areas. Not knocking the latest technology at all, just suggesting you spend the hard time to think about what you hope a new camera will do for you and find the right camera to tick those boxes before laying out a lot of cash or worse increasing debt.

Honestly I would NOT recommend purchasing photo items on credit especially if you already have debt you're consolidating.

At this point I'd definitely wait at least another couple of weeks as an announcement (might not be the Z8 folks are predicting) is imminent.

Also I'd take a long hard look at what your current camera gear does not do for you that you feel you need. No doubt the AF tracking modes in the latest flagship mirrorless cameras are fantastic for certain high speed action situations but ask yourself if lacking those modes is what's really keeping you from your next step photographically.

For a lot of folks there are other more basic things to master like exposure, composition, reading light, field craft that's a more immediate need than a camera with the best AF tracking features. Maybe you've got all the rest of that dialed in but the greatest camera won't solve issues in those areas. Not knocking the latest technology at all, just suggesting you spend the hard time to think about what you hope a new camera will do for you and find the right camera to tick those boxes before laying out a lot of cash or worse increasing debt.
My biggest reason is shutter noise scaring the smaller closer birds., I figured I would use the D500 for further/larger wildlife. The mirrorless for the rest.

My advice.....don't do it! Are you making any significant amount of money with your camera gear? If not, control the "want" and deal with the "need".

The need is to get your current debt PAID OFF while only buying necessities and saving your money. Develop good habits regarding money management.

In the meantime the Z8 will be announced and maybe even available within the next year. New lenses will be announced also. AND the prices of used Z9's will be falling over the next year.

EARN that Z9 by climbing out of debt and demonstrating the discipline to stay out of debt.

Just my two cents.....

My advice.....don't do it! Are you making any significant amount of money with your camera gear? If not, control the "want" and deal with the "need".

The need is to get your current debt PAID OFF while only buying necessities and saving your money. Develop good habits regarding money management.

In the meantime the Z8 will be announced and maybe even available within the next year. New lenses will be announced also. AND the prices of used Z9's will be falling over the next year.

EARN that Z9 by climbing out of debt and demonstrating the discipline to stay out of debt.

Just my two cents.....

That is a very sensible post Karen.
I find the yearning for the latest gear a bit off target. I suggest we organize a guess the gear competition. Each person here submits their best IQ photo without any info and when there are enough we guess the gear used to get the photo. Might cure a lot of disillusionment.
I take photos for fun. If I wanted to make money I'd buy a pub, and fill it with poker machines.

Far be it from me to tell another person how to spend their money. With that said, going deeper in debt for a camera isn't a good idea. If it is your business and you can write it off or depreciate it as a business asset, adding more debt to what you already have wouldn't be a grand idea. I very much want a newer vehicle. However, my 11 year old Honda Pilot still runs great. The cushioning in the seats are horrible, it has none of the modern safety gizmos like back up camera, blind spot indicators and the like. However, I cannot justify a new car when the one I have still runs good. There are plenty of spreadsheets out there that will amortize a loan out and you can see exactly what that $7,000 will cost you over the life of your loan at a given interest rate. If photography is your business then it is just another business expense. If, like most of us, it is a hobby, you should consider the real cost of the purchase.
Z9, from friends who have one, is a great camera. I'm sure the Z8 or whatever it will be will also be a great camera. Only you can answer the question of if the total cost of ownership (loan plus interest, plus any other accessories you will end up buying) is worth the investment or not.
Jeff

That is a very sensible post Karen.
I find the yearning for the latest gear a bit off target. I suggest we organize a guess the gear competition. Each person here submits their best IQ photo without any info and when there are enough we guess the gear used to get the photo. Might cure a lot of disillusionment.
I take photos for fun. If I wanted to make money I'd buy a pub, and fill it with poker machines.
That would be one plan. I would invest the money in large cap mutual funds or high yield bank CD's/. But the thought is the same. Invest in something that produces a yield over time.

Jeff I get a giggle out of advice for how to survive if the poop hits the fan globally. If I gave a toss I would buy a bunker, and fill it with tins of rice pudding. Then again I'd probably forget where it was :(
I have some ideas of things to invest in should the stuff hit the fan but it would be way outside the scope of this forum. :)

Like others mentioned, I would at least wait until the big reveal on the 10th to see what is announced. If the Z8 matches the specs on rumor sites and for the expected price, it will be a much better value. The Z9 ends up costing more than you expect because spare batteries cost more, spare chargers cost more, if you want a spare battery cover, another $40. The Z8 is expected to use the same batteries and chargers you already have, cost significantly less, be smaller and lighter. Also, depending on how you shoot, 2 325GB Delkin Black cards might be overkill. I generally shoot with 128GB or 150GB cards. I have a Z9 and am looking forward to the Z8. If it is everything rumored, it will become my primary camera and I’ll consider selling my Z9 to get a second Z8.

Also, while the Z9 is completely silent shooting (and Z8 is expected too), all Z cameras are significantly quieter than the DSLRs and offer silent shooting options as well. For the other Zs, you don’t want to use the electronic shutter on quick moving subjects, but if the bird/animal is not moving a lot electronic shutter works well.

Just my two cents.....
I figured the z9 was too new and liked for there to be used ones available unless they were damaged or something.

Just my two cents.....
No money as of yet, I have dreams of getting good enough in quality to sublimate my images on coaster, mugs, aluminum panels and such but I have a lot to learn still.

Just my two cents.....
BTW love your profile pic, Sadly this is the best image I have left from my Happy Hobo days… original and I just for giggles ran it through Topaz Labs Gigapixel and sharpen AI not perfect but WOW...
HoboEd1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
HoboEd1-gigapixel-very_compressed-scale-6_00x.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Wait at least until Wednesday and see whether there is a Z8 and if so, would it work for you.
Any loan I may or may not get will be a month or so from now, But I checked the numbers and adding enough to add the camera to my loan would raise my monthly payment from $195 up to $295 so not worth it to me OTHER than the interest would be 11.55% instead of the 29.99% I would have to pay using my B&H Photo credit line.

I would wait - particularly with your debt background.

Over a perhaps 2-3 year repayment repayment period interest payments perhaps around 20% (or more) of the purchase price are likely.

Your $7000 intended purchase could cost as much as $9-10,000 with interest accumulation over a number of years.

If you wait perhaps 6 months the Z8 will not get any cheaper - but there will be some second-hand Z9 as a few Z9 owners move to a more compact Z8.
You should also have paid off part of your current debt - and perhaps raised some funds from selling surplus items over 6 months.

Digressing I am fortunate in having enough income to own a Z9, 800 PF, 400 f4.5 and a good amount of other equipment - with no debt.

I would very much like the 400 f4 S but at around £15,500 including 20% UK tax less whatever I sell or part exchange - I consider I cannot justify the cost.

I love the Z9, but I would echo what everyone else on the board has stated. In the current economic environment, it might be best to get you "house" in order. Furthermore, if your gear list accurately describes what you have, you have extremely capable equipment. I shot for years and years with D500's (since the introduction), published more images from it than I can recall, and sold numerous gallery prints made with the camera. In addition, you 500PF is an ideal match to the camera. Furthermore, Topaz GigaPixel is a cheap solution to more resolution... if you need bigger files (assuming your not cropping), you can easily turn your 20MP D500 pics into 40MP files... use what you have, as it is good gear
cheers,
bruce

As a geek head, I’m always craving the latest tech, whether cameras, lenses or other gear. But if it gets too much, I’ll rent something. The Z9 is a craving, but I certainly don’t need it. My Z6 does all I need. Well almost 😂😂

Until you pay off all your debts, you'd be very foolish to go further into debt to buy what, for most of us, amounts to a toy. Freedom from debt gives you a tremendous amount of freedom, being in debt makes you a slave to monthly payments. What would you do if you lost your job, became ill or disabled and couldn't make the payments? The Z9 certainly is a great camera, but for you it's like a bottle of vodka for an alcoholic -- don't do it.

As many are saying, Nikon will reveal much more next week, and above all this will be reliable information.... Then it's quite likely we will see a pulse of Mint and Mint- Z9's released into the Used markets. The retailers can only sell so many before they get saddled with stock that will sell slowly if they are greedy. With each Used camera they also earn on selling new cards, tripod, bag etc, even new lenses; as buyers of a Used Z9 may buy a package of gear.

Over the years, i've bought the majority of my Nikon products Used and never (yet) had a comeback. These have all been from reputable smaller shop, who give 6 months warranty. Trade ins have also worked out well IME

But the hard part tis to not hop at the first patch of green grass - let it grow some and search online etc. GAS is one kind of ailment. And then there's Nikonitis

Wait.

The only way I go into debt over camera gear is if the financing is at zero percent, and could pay it off immediately if I had to.
I'm with you, Whiskeyman. I do use credit cards to buy camera gear, the first is a cash back one I make money from and it's paid in full every month. The second is at B&H where I save sales tax and again pay off when the statement comes out.

Back