I Really Really want a Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Honestly I would NOT recommend purchasing photo items on credit especially if you already have debt you're consolidating.

At this point I'd definitely wait at least another couple of weeks as an announcement (might not be the Z8 folks are predicting) is imminent.

Also I'd take a long hard look at what your current camera gear does not do for you that you feel you need. No doubt the AF tracking modes in the latest flagship mirrorless cameras are fantastic for certain high speed action situations but ask yourself if lacking those modes is what's really keeping you from your next step photographically.

For a lot of folks there are other more basic things to master like exposure, composition, reading light, field craft that's a more immediate need than a camera with the best AF tracking features. Maybe you've got all the rest of that dialed in but the greatest camera won't solve issues in those areas. Not knocking the latest technology at all, just suggesting you spend the hard time to think about what you hope a new camera will do for you and find the right camera to tick those boxes before laying out a lot of cash or worse increasing debt.
I always thought the R stood for Ryan, not Ramsey!!😀😀😀😀😀

Far be it from me to tell another person how to spend their money. With that said, going deeper in debt for a camera isn't a good idea. If it is your business and you can write it off or depreciate it as a business asset, adding more debt to what you already have wouldn't be a grand idea. I very much want a newer vehicle. However, my 11 year old Honda Pilot still runs great. The cushioning in the seats are horrible, it has none of the modern safety gizmos like back up camera, blind spot indicators and the like. However, I cannot justify a new car when the one I have still runs good. There are plenty of spreadsheets out there that will amortize a loan out and you can see exactly what that $7,000 will cost you over the life of your loan at a given interest rate. If photography is your business then it is just another business expense. If, like most of us, it is a hobby, you should consider the real cost of the purchase.
Z9, from friends who have one, is a great camera. I'm sure the Z8 or whatever it will be will also be a great camera. Only you can answer the question of if the total cost of ownership (loan plus interest, plus any other accessories you will end up buying) is worth the investment or not.
Jeff
I feel bad for you Jeff, no new car for another 11 years at least. You should have not chosen a Honda .... 🤣

Hmmm, I thought this was a photography forum, not a financial advisory forum. How the original poster pays for his camera is none of anyone's business. How many of you charged your Z9 with your credit card and didn't payoff the balance?

Hmmm, I thought this was a photography forum, not a financial advisory forum. How the original poster pays for his camera is none of anyone's business. How many of you charged your Z9 with your credit card and didn't payoff the balance?
As long as no one gets nasty about it, I don’t see the problem.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with finance or loans if you can afford it, and go in with your eyes open. Loans usually have a better interest rate than CCs.

The Z9 is absolutely phenomenal. I use the 500PF with the adapter and it is superb. Generally the adapter causes very slow autofocus so its OK with a tripod and a stationary object. It has nothing to do with the camera. its a function of a 5.6 lens

Pay off your debt. Quit living your life owing money to banks as the borrower is slave to lender.

Work extra hours, do side hustles, get rid of the debt, have a fully funded emergency fund of 3-6 months living expenses, fund your retirement and then you can and should be thinking about saving for new camera gear after all that is said and done.

The gear you have now is more than adequate to do what you want.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh but people need to stop living like they’re spending in congress and put basic needs ahead of wants. You’ll be better off in the long run!

I love the Z9, but I would echo what everyone else on the board has stated. In the current economic environment, it might be best to get you "house" in order. Furthermore, if your gear list accurately describes what you have, you have extremely capable equipment. I shot for years and years with D500's (since the introduction), published more images from it than I can recall, and sold numerous gallery prints made with the camera. In addition, you 500PF is an ideal match to the camera. Furthermore, Topaz GigaPixel is a cheap solution to more resolution... if you need bigger files (assuming your not cropping), you can easily turn your 20MP D500 pics into 40MP files... use what you have, as it is good gear
cheers,
bruce
I all but stopped using the 500PF currently due to the fact that the majority of what I am able to image at my local lake is too far away and I crop 98%+ of my images currently. I keep grabbing the Sigma 150-600mm mostly set at 500mm, but even though it is not as sharp as the 500PF it has the versatility to zoom as needed for the rare times A bird is closer. But once I get to an area the birds are closer I will use the 500PF more.

Until you pay off all your debts, you'd be very foolish to go further into debt to buy what, for most of us, amounts to a toy. Freedom from debt gives you a tremendous amount of freedom, being in debt makes you a slave to monthly payments. What would you do if you lost your job, became ill or disabled and couldn't make the payments? The Z9 certainly is a great camera, but for you it's like a bottle of vodka for an alcoholic -- don't do it.
My income is constant, (VA disability and Social Security) I do food deliveries (Grubhub, DoorDash, and Uber Eats) when I feel like it for extra cash. But now that I had to get a new car I pretty much have to drive to cover the extra car and insurance payment, and an extra $500 each month that I throw at one single bill every month. (I am trying to do the Debt Snowball payments). only doing a debt consolidation equity loan because it will lock the interest at 15.66% instead of the 29.99% that most of my credit has risen to thanks to the current economy. I will first use it to pay off debt that I can not add more debt to. I just figured adding the camera to the loan would not boost the monthly payment too much.

only doing a debt consolidation equity loan because it will lock the interest at 15.66% instead of the 29.99% that most of my credit has risen to thanks to the current economy. I will first use it to pay off debt that I can not add more debt to. I just figured adding the camera to the loan would not boost the monthly payment too much.
You might want to spend some time playing with a loan calculator like this one: https://www.bankrate.com/loans/loan-calculator/

It all depends on how fast you can pay down the loan but assuming it takes 5 years to pay off the loan, that extra $7000 borrowed will cost you over $3,000 in interest at 15.66% turning a $7k camera purchase into a $10k camera purchase. If it takes longer than 5 years to pay down the loan the extra interest payments will add up even more.

Screen Shot 2023-05-06 at 12.40.28 PM.png

As others have posted, it's your money and your debt but at least go in with open eyes and an understanding of what that additional debt might mean especially when there are other very good camera options out there that cost less.

Thank you all for the replies.. And financial concerns. I have depression cycles and tend to buy things I don't need just to feel better, I tend to obsess over things I want until I find some way to get it to the point it is like a junkie needing a fix and I am not sure why it hits me that way.. Often with buyers remorse shortly afterwards. Thank you all for the time for me to slow down and think this through, I know that is not what this forum is for but I am grateful.

Thank you all for the replies.. And financial concerns. I have depression cycles and tend to buy things I don't need just to feel better, I tend to obsess over things I want until I find some way to get it to the point it is like a junkie needing a fix and I am not sure why it hits me that way.. Often with buyers remorse shortly afterwards. Thank you all for the time for me to slow down and think this through, I know that is not what this forum is for but I am grateful.
We are a loose knit group of folks with a common love of wildlife photography! But that doesn't mean that is all we care about. Most of us care about other members when they face difficult situations such as illness, a pet dies or financial issues or when someone just wants to share good news such as they won a photography contest, their child made a big accomplishment, they finally retired, etc. Hopefully this means that you can trust the members here to give thoughtful, honest responses to your posts while considering you as a whole person, not just a photographer. The recommendations offered were based on the information you provided. We wouldn't want to knowingly make suggestions that would put you in a difficult situation.

We are a loose knit group of folks with a common love of wildlife photography! But that doesn't mean that is all we care about. Most of us care about other members when they face difficult situations such as illness, a pet dies or financial issues or when someone just wants to share good news such as they won a photography contest, their child made a big accomplishment, they finally retired, etc. Hopefully this means that you can trust the members here to give thoughtful, honest responses to your posts while considering you as a whole person, not just a photographer. The recommendations offered were based on the information you provided. We wouldn't want to knowingly make suggestions that would put you in a difficult
I hope my home sublimation business picks up, I still need an Etsy, and Shopify store, business cards, business banking accounts, and more supplies. Hoping to mostly offer pet memorials like this one I made back in January.. my last sale. <Maybe I can make enough eventually to pay off all my debts.
IMG_3056.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I am super craving getting a Nikon z9, I am in the process of getting a debt consolidation loan and am tempted to add another $7,000 to it to get the z9, F mount lens adaptor, extra battery, 2 Delkin Black 325GB cards, CFExpress card reader, and a Lowepro tactical or similar backpack to hold both the D500 and the Z9 (Not sure if it will hold my f mount sigma 150-600 or 500mm PF large lenses).

My thought are that I can use my current lenses until I pay off the z9 items and then save for true z mount lenses (NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S, and NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S for wildlife I doubt I will ever afford the awesome f/2.8, and f/4 lenses so I will never be getting as amazing images as you professionals, but I should do ok all the same).

I read that the Nikon F mount 500PF works well with the z9 and adaptor, not sure if the teleconverters work well.

OR should I wait for the Z8? What rumors I am reading currently seems the price is so close to the Z9 that it might be best to get the z9 and be done with it.
We all are waiting for the May 10th announcement hopefully including the Z8 and 200-600 lens.
As long as the Z8 has LED lit buttons, a 10pin connector and a EN-EL18 battery grip otherwise they can keep it.
The Z9 is a fantastic versatile camera.
The image quality of the 400 and 600 TC are state of the art but if I need to walk any great distance I find them heavy and bulky and usually leave them at home.
The 400mm f4.5 is nearly always on my Z9 ... 🦘

We are a loose knit group of folks with a common love of wildlife photography! But that doesn't mean that is all we care about. Most of us care about other members when they face difficult situations such as illness, a pet dies or financial issues or when someone just wants to share good news such as they won a photography contest, their child made a big accomplishment, they finally retired, etc. Hopefully this means that you can trust the members here to give thoughtful, honest responses to your posts while considering you as a whole person, not just a photographer. The recommendations offered were based on the information you provided. We wouldn't want to knowingly make suggestions that would put you in a difficult situation.
What a thoughtful response. We all have our stories and life challenges. I'm happy with my Z9, but that promise of a Z8 is appealing. I'm thinking I'd give up my D850 for the Z8, if it's what they say it will be. But, there's always financial constraints, and unless we're multi-millionaires we might take pause to buying something new. It's a big decision, and only we know if it's a good choice for us to make. I like to think we all care about each other, and only try to help.

I'm with most others above on this one. Cameras in that price range are only for high dollar professionals that can make that kind of money on a couple of jobs, or well healed hobbyists that have plenty of cash to pay for it without even missing the money, and no debt for other things either. I'm not sure why you need such equipment to take photos to put on mugs, coasters, etc. If the shutter noise scares the birds, get a point and shoot that has an electronic shutter. For that size images very little resolution is required. The Z9 is to make billboard size images.

I'm with most others above on this one. Cameras in that price range are only for high dollar professionals that can make that kind of money on a couple of jobs, or well healed hobbyists that have plenty of cash to pay for it without even missing the money, and no debt for other things either. I'm not sure why you need such equipment to take photos to put on mugs, coasters, etc. If the shutter noise scares the birds, get a point and shoot that has an electronic shutter. For that size images very little resolution is required. The Z9 is to make billboard size images.
The OP states clearly "Want" not a need.

My 2 cents.
With a Z9, opportunities open up. Big chances the OP would gain confidence and a drive to find other photography-paid job opportunities to pay it off.
The old debt should not be mixed with the Z9 energy.

OP, Close your eyes and think. Imagine you already have a Z9, what would you do with it? in which direction would your brain go?

Take the results, sleep it over, and you will gain a lot of clarity.

I all but stopped using the 500PF currently due to the fact that the majority of what I am able to image at my local lake is too far away and I crop 98%+ of my images currently. I keep grabbing the Sigma 150-600mm mostly set at 500mm, but even though it is not as sharp as the 500PF it has the versatility to zoom as needed for the rare times A bird is closer. But once I get to an area the birds are closer I will use the 500PF more.
The secret to getting better bird photos is not the latest gear, it’s getting closer. Personally, I would not go into debt to buy new camera equipment. If you aren’t making enough money from photos to justify new equipment the new toy will not make a difference and you’d be deeper in debt.

I have depression cycles and tend to buy things I don't need just to feel better, I tend to obsess over things I want until I find some way to get it to the point it is like a junkie needing a fix and I am not sure why it hits me that way.. Often with buyers remorse shortly afterwards.

I have been in a similar situation over time ( I got plenty of photo gear that I don't really use, often bought as an emotional purchase).

What I've done to handle this (and avoid going into debt for photo equipment) has been the following:

Step 1: If I want something that I couldn't easily afford right now without going into debt, I try to identify something in my life that needs work on and takes some time.
Step 2: I set the item I want as a reward for completing the work and try to save for it until I finalize the tasks.

Sometimes I end up not wanting the item when I am done anyway :).

For example, now I want an upgrade for my wildlife lens. I also need to do decluttering and rearranging in my digital life. This is a task that will take me the better part of this year (for example, I have terrabytes of images on multiple HDDs that need culling, sorting, processing and so on... and a whole cabinet filled with CDs and DVDs that also need sorting and transferring to other media).

I will not do the upgrade of the lens until I am done with all the decluttering, and in the meanwhile I am trying to put aside some cash each month for it.

Now, I am no shrink so take all that with a pinch of salt, but I've seen this approach in dealing successfully with GAS by other photography enthusiasts. And I have used a similar approach to handle food cravings.

My take is that your business isn’t generating enough income resulting in mounting debt, leading in turn to your debt consolidation issue. Debt consolidation is simply spreading your debt over a longer time frame….it may appear to reduce your debt, but it’s misleading as your debt, due to finance costs, increases….it’s the monthly payments that go down, alleviating the current repayment pressure.
so getting a new camera won’t improve your business but rather it will increase your debt with no benefit.
The best advise I can give is, first, don’t buy the z9 so your debt doesn’t increase, and more importantly, take a good look at your business model to see how you can generate more business .., in fact, that’s where you should start.

The other point that I would make to the OP is that for the products mentioned almost any camera from any brand should be sufficient. When not making large prints even a lowly point and shoot or phone cam are many times more than required. Technique and composition are much more important than the camera body.

Back