ICU for Z 600 TC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am soon to purchase the Z 600 TC, and am window shopping for means to carry the lens into and around the field. I walk decent distances to get to locations so have decided upon one of the following 'non photography' back packs. Inspired somewhat by Morten Hilmers videos on the subject:
  1. https://www.mysteryranch.com/terraframe-80-pack
  2. https://www.savotta.fi/products/jaakari-xl
  3. https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/fjallraven-kajka-75-rucksack---forest-green-55034-p.asp
I am least likely to go with the Fjallraven, but it looks a great pack. i am angling more toward the Mystery Ranch 80l.

What I would like some help with specifically is what would be an appropriate ICU for one or either of these bags. They both have the ability to unload from the front which I really like. I am specifically looking for an ICU that is 'T' shaped if that makes sense, as I will be carrying the camera attached to the lens, so the main load of both will be spread centrally, with two smaller sections to the side of the lens, beneath the camera. Hope that all makes sense.

Thank you

Good question. I am casually continuing my search for an "ICU" that I can use to stuff my 600 into existing backpacks (e.g. overnight camping/hiking backpacks). Have you watched this?

There are also a couple of discussions on here about what to use to carry a 600 f4, tho they are slanted more to 1) airline travel 2) day use or camera gear only.

Cheers!

Good question. I am casually continuing my search for an "ICU" that I can use to stuff my 600 into existing backpacks (e.g. overnight camping/hiking backpacks). Have you watched this?

There are also a couple of discussions on here about what to use to carry a 600 f4, tho they are slanted more to 1) airline travel 2) day use or camera gear only.

Cheers!
Thanks Steven, Yes,I have watched this one several times, and read and reread the threads on here about carrying big primes. Looks like the f-stop pro xl would fit the bill in terms of size, but I would be surprised if that were the only option. Guess i need also look at the internal capacity/dimensions of my chosen backpack as well to fit ICU.

There have been some discussions about ICUs in previous threads. Here is a link to one of my posts in the Big Prime - Camera Bags & Backpacks discussion, where I show how the ICU that I am using (an XL RCI from NYA-EVO) fits into my NYA-EVO Fjord 60-C. Also, see posts 86, 94, 123 & 125 in that thread as well for related content/pictures.

You can use the NYA-EVO RCI in standard backpacks, but it doesn't exactly have the T-shaped design that you are asking for. However, it does fit the 600 TC lens with camera body attached, and you have additional dividers to shape the rest of the interior of the ICU. The ICU opens from the top and the front, to provide access to your gear.

I don't know if there is a T-shaped ICU solution out there that will work with the 600 TC lens, but this NYA-EVO RCI gives you an option to look at.

Last edited:
There have been some discussions about ICUs in previous threads. Here is a link to one of my posts in the Big Prime - Camera Bags & Backpacks discussion, where I show how the ICU that I am using (an XL RCI from NYA-EVO) fits into my NYA-EVO Fjord 60-C. Also, see posts 86, 94, 123 & 125 in that thread as well for related content/pictures.

You can use the NYA-EVO RCI in standard backpacks, but it doesn't exactly have the T-shaped design that you are asking for. However, it does fit the 600 TC lens with camera body attached, and you have additional dividers to shape the rest of the interior of the ICU. The ICU opens from the top and the front, to provide access to your gear.

I don't know if there is a T-shaped ICU solution out there that will work with the 600 TC lens, but this NYA-EVO RCI gives you an option to look at.
Thanks Rick, equally as important (I should have said) are the comfort levels when walking over tricky terrain, how does the Fjord stack up in this department? TIA

This thread has a ton of info:

The Nya Evo XL ICU appears to be the biggest/best. I have not tried putting it in a non-Nya Evo bag though, so your results may vary. Since the amount you're proposing to spend on the 3 bags uptop is roughly the same, I'd just buy Nya Evo all around to ensure everything fits as it should.

Thanks Rick, equally as important (I should have said) are the comfort levels when walking over tricky terrain, how does the Fjord stack up in this department? TIA
I was going to mention earlier that the NYA-EVO Fjord series backpacks (they come in 36, 50 and 60 liter sizes) are quite capable as hiking backpacks. They seem to have been designed as a hiking / outdoors backpack first, and a camera backpack secondarily.

I have all three sizes of the NYA-EVO bags and I think they are quite comfortable for hiking while carrying a load, and very durable as well.

You can read more about them here: NYA-EVO Camera Backpacks

What @nmerc_photos said - I was just writing; I have not seen an insert as long as the Nya Evo XL. I don’t have that lens but use Peak Design cubes to store my gear and carry it. Note that this is also one that opens at the top to remove the camera and lens. I haven’t seen others do that. I have never seen a T shaped model; but you can configure most of them. Although with the big lens you are probably limited to one side.

Last edited:
Thanks @SoCalRick @nmerc_photos @Hooligans Imagery Just watching a video on the bag now. Looks great!

Rick, or anyone else that has the newer NYA-EVO Fjord, how easy is it to cinch down or attach tripod legs to the side. I am planning to get a flexshooter pro as well, so this'll be one item that could go in the opposite side of the bag in the ICU. thanks
There are LOTS of straps and options for attaching a tripod to the side of the bag.

Here is an old-ish video from Hudson Henry giving a walkthrough of the bag when it first came out:

The bag has been slightly updated since it was first released, so it's an improved version over the one shown in the HH video.

Having lived out of a similar Mystery Ranch 6500 pack for a year I can vouch for how great those are at carrying a load. It’s the most comfortable load carrying pack I’ve ever used. I would be surprised if a dedicated camera pack would be as comfortable but they are purpose built for the camera aspect. The large outer pockets of the mystery ranch act like bumpers when you pack them with clothing or soft items to protect what’s inside as well. If you can find the appropriate internal cubes/cases then that would be a great option and it’s not a branded camera bag which screams steal me if someone googles the pack name.

Having lived out of a similar Mystery Ranch 6500 pack for a year I can vouch for how great those are at carrying a load. It’s the most comfortable load carrying pack I’ve ever used. I would be surprised if a dedicated camera pack would be as comfortable but they are purpose built for the camera aspect. The large outer pockets of the mystery ranch act like bumpers when you pack them with clothing or soft items to protect what’s inside as well. If you can find the appropriate internal cubes/cases then that would be a great option and it’s not a branded camera bag which screams steal me if someone googles the pack name.
Yes, that was a big part of what drew me to the non camera bag options, the fact they don't scream photo gear, but I think the Nya-Eva is discrete and not so well known, and would be suitable. The thing is I could buy 10 ICU's a few camera bags and they may never quite fit. So I think what i'll do is get the Fjord, and at a future time get a larger pack and hope the XL RCI from Nya fits that

Back