Big Prime - Camera Bags & Backpacks

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

CF379CF2-975F-45E8-A197-7D062D5B4A75_1_105_c.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
00267D3E-AE5E-4F96-9256-89E3B31DB883_1_105_c.jpeg
E90B3EBC-CCBF-4BE0-BC87-DDB87D6303F7_1_105_c.jpeg
47C63DB9-50AF-4142-A15C-F52266C3C32E_1_105_c.jpeg

Ok, I finally had time to pack the bag and take a photo. This is the Nya-Evo 60C (or whatever) with XL RCI. It contains a 600mm FL E attached to a Z9 and FTZ II. In the other side, I have a 1.4x TC III, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, Zeiss 21mm f/2.8, and Nikon 100-4000 S. The 600mm has the Zemlin hood and lens cap, and you cans see that it bulges out of the top of the RCI a little bit. I did take the Zemlni eye piece off for a better fit, but overall, my mind is blown at what this thing can carry. Amazing, and by far, the best hiking/camera backpack I've owned. We're off to the Osa Peninsula for a week (with the 2 year old and 8 week old); fingers crossed we survive! (please ignore the clothes hanging on the peloton in the background. I promise the Peloton actually gets used.)

Wow. This is a great thread. I'm in the process of moving from Sony back to Nikon and finding a backpack that'll accommodate a Z9 & 400mm 2.8 TC was a big question. (My primary photo work is ski racing.). I had never even heard of Nya-Evo!

hello rick
really impressive what all fits into the backpack. now the question of weight arises. for a trip by car, OK, but by plane for a photo safari in Africa there is definitely a weight problem.

hello rick
really impressive what all fits into the backpack. now the question of weight arises. for a trip by car, OK, but by plane for a photo safari in Africa there is definitely a weight problem.
I can't help you with your safari weight restrictions, however I do know people who have taken both the 400 TC and 600 TC with them to Africa.

I'll post a couple of pictures here with an otherwise empty bag carrying 3 lenses (and 2 bodies) that weighs in at 11.66 kgs (25.7 lbs) and then pare it down to just a 2 lens / 2 body configuration that weighs in at 10.7 kgs (23.6 lbs)

Here is my bag/RCI configuration with a Z9 on the 600 TC (with OEM hood), Z8 on the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, and an extra Z 24-70 2.8 lens in the upper left portion of the RCI:
IMG_4804.jpg

View looking down from the top: Z9 on the 600mm and spare 24-70 f/2.8 on the side
IMG_4805.jpg

Bag weight with 2 bodies and 3 lenses (Z8, Z9, 600 TC, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, and 24-70 f/2.8) = 11.66 kgs / 25.7 lbs
IMG_4813.jpg

Now with the 24-70 2.8 removed, the bag weight with 2 bodies and 2 lenses (Z8, Z9, 600 TC and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6) = 10.7 kgs / 23.6 lbs

IMG_4812.jpg

So at the bare minimum, with just the Z8 and Z9 camera bodies, and the 600 TC and 100-400 lens, and nothing else in the bag, the weight comes in at 23.6 lbs.

In order to get the weight down below that, you will need to pull out one or more of those pieces, and carry it in another way (e.g., separate bag, coat pocket, etc.).

Otherwise, with weight restrictions aside, you have a pretty good traveling kit with the NYA-EVO Fjord 60-C and the XL RCI insert!

I will say that I typically don't travel/fly with my camera bodies attached to a lens. However, once I'm in country / on location, I like to know that I have the option of carrying my bodies and lenses attached inside my backpack while hiking about in the field to a shooting location. This gives me peace of mind knowing that I don't have to attach the lenses in the field, while exposing them to the elements, and I can just pull them out of the bag and start shooting.

So it's a good idea to test out various camera bag insert configurations that will allow you to carry your camera and lenses in either an attached, or unattached configuration. :cool:

Hi all

What a great thread - is really helping me get back up to speed on bags which I haven't dealt with since my Kiboko 22L bought 12 years ago. As I just bought a 400/2.8, I now need something bigger but that is travel friendly for carryon on most airlines.

Based on what I've read, the Nya-Evo is one seriously considering. Does the bag come with any camera insert or do you have to buy it separately ?

Will a 400/2.8 with hood fit in the Nya-Evo 60-C when is compressed ? Does adding the XL ICU require expanding the bag or can be used compressed (and so remaining carry-on compliant)

Thx !

Mark

Last edited:
Hi all

What a great thread - is really helping me get back up to speed on bags which I haven't dealt with since my Kiboko 22L bought 12 years ago. As I just bought a 400/2.8, I now need something bigger but that is travel friendly for carryon on most airlines.

Based on what I've read, the Nya-Evo is one seriously considering. Does the bag come with any camera insert or do you have to buy it separately ?

Will a 400/2.8 with hood fit in the Nya-Evo 60-C when is compressed ? Does adding the XL ICU require expanding the bag or can be used compressed (and so remaining carry-on compliant)

Thx !

Mark
You have to buy inserts separately, just like in case of shimoda/fstop. There are bundle offers too.
You do not have to 'decompress' the backpack in order to fit the largest insert. You could put some stuff into checked lugggage, leave the checked suitcase/backpack it in a hotel/lodge/under a tree or wherever, and put the stuff you need into the expanded nya evo backpack. Or in other words: put all cameras and lenses into nya evo, so they travel safely, and all the small extra pieces into checked baggage. Onsite expand nya evo and put all extra bits and pices inside.

And if all goes wrong (it is better to know it before hand) - you can pull the largest insert out, and pack nya evo backpack into the checked baggage. The insert has straps and can be closed and carried around for short distances.

It is a really well thought piece of gear :)

Besides design compromises, which are neither issues or perks, as in different situations can be both, this pack has one weak side - very heavy loads. I would say 20-25kg is max it can carry comfortably. I assume it was not designed for such use. But neither larget shimodas nor fstops would fit such loads well and a different solution than a dedicated photo backpack is better. On the other hand I have loaded this pack so much only few times and I had both of my hands free! Amound of connection points you get with nya evo is awesome!

Last edited:
You have to buy inserts separately, just like in case of shimoda/fstop. There are bundle offers too.
You do not have to 'decompress' the backpack in order to fit the largest insert. You could put some stuff into checked lugggage, leave the checked suitcase/backpack it in a hotel/lodge/under a tree or wherever, and put the stuff you need into the expanded nya evo backpack. Or in other words: put all cameras and lenses into nya evo, so they travel safely, and all the small extra pieces into checked baggage. Onsite expand nya evo and put all extra bits and pices inside.

And if all goes wrong (it is better to know it before hand) - you can pull the largest insert out, and pack nya evo backpack into the checked baggage. The insert has straps and can be closed and carried around for short distances.

It is a really well thought piece of gear :)

Besides design compromises, which are neither issues or perks, as in different situations can be both, this pack has one weak side - very heavy loads. I would say 20-25kg is max it can carry comfortably. I assume it was not designed for such use. But neither larget shimodas nor fstops would fit such loads well and a different solution than a dedicated photo backpack is better. On the other hand I have loaded this pack so much only few times and I had both of my hands free! Amound of connection points you get with nya evo is awesome!
Many thanks

As the XL insert is out of stock, I reached out to Nya-Evo who told me that the Large RCI is big enough to hold a 400/2.8, even with camera attached. Looking at the interior dimensions, it seems like the 400 would fit (as 38cm vs 39.5cm interior on L), but I don't see how a camera would fit.

I have got a few FStopGear bags and over time have purchased different insert, which does mean that the bags are pretty versatile. Recently got the CINE insert for my Shinn that I got of eBay. Having a big bags is great and you can fit a great of equipment in, but just remember you have to carry it, and that it must be comfortable and well fitted. You dont have to add too much glass and you'll be lugging about over 15kg ;-)

Many thanks

As the XL insert is out of stock, I reached out to Nya-Evo who told me that the Large RCI is big enough to hold a 400/2.8, even with camera attached. Looking at the interior dimensions, it seems like the 400 would fit (as 38cm vs 39.5cm interior on L), but I don't see how a camera would fit.
Did you see my post #129 above? In that post I show pictures of my 600 TC with a Z9 attached (along with other bodies/lenses) inside a NYA-EVO Fjord 60-C using their XL insert. So yes, it fits the 600 F4 with a camera attached, and that lens is larger than the 400 TC.

I think the dimension specs for the insert are probably somewhat conservative, as there is extra material along the zipper area that adds a little additional elbow room when you zip it up.

Also, check out my post #80 where I show how this combo fits inside a Kiboko 30L. You can't carry the lens with the camera body attached with this bag, but it is very airline friendly. However, it is not as comfortable to wear as the NYA-EVO backpacks.

Many thanks Rick, I did see your post, very helpful ! - The XL is the insert I want, but it won't be in stock for a couple of months. NYA-EVO says the Large Insert will accommodate the 400/2.8, which surprised me so was wondering if anyone had tried that combo. Also how does the lining work for the bags ? Is there velcro, which would allow to use inserts from another brand ?

Last edited:
Many thanks Rick, I did see your post, very helpful ! - The XL is the insert I want, but it won't be in stock for a couple of months. NYA-EVO says the Large Insert will accommodate the 400/2.8, which surprised me so was wondering if anyone had tried that combo. Also how does the lining work for the bags ? Is there velcro, which would allow to use inserts from another brand ?
I have the large insert as well, which I generally use in my Fjord 50-C bag. I'm pretty sure that the 400 TC will not fit in that insert (I know my 600 TC won't), and certainly not with the camera body attached, but I will have to wait until I get home to confirm this.

Yes, there are 4 velcro straps on the insides of the NYA bags, which are used to secure the insert in place.

The XL insert was also out of stock when I wanted to order it. I had to wait about 5 weeks before it became available again. You can email them and ask them when the next production run will be available.

Last edited:
I have the large insert as well, which I generally use in my Fjord 50-C bag. I'm pretty sure that the 400 TC will not fit in that insert (I know my 600 TC won't), and certainly not with the camera body attached, but I will have to wait until I get home to confirm this.

Yes, there are 4 velcro straps on the insides of the NYA bags, which are used to secure the insert in place.

The XL insert was also out of stock when I wanted to order it. I had to wait about 5 weeks before it became available again. You can email them and ask them when the next production run will be available.
Thanks - they said September in Europe. But good news - just found an XL on the US site and had shipped to my Mom's in New York :)

Last edited:
This is a really useful thread, and I feel obligated to thank user @MatthewK for his post in another thread last year about fitting the 800PF into the MindShift Gear Backlight 26L (as Matthew mentions, this requires a Zemlin lens hood as the OEM hood is just a bit too large in diameter).

Before buying the 800PF I already owned the MSG Backlight in both 26L and 36L sizes. However, I pretty quickly found that I don't have much use for the 36L as a hiking bag; by the time I've filled up the larger bag's camera compartment with gear it ends up being so heavy that I can't comfortably walk for miles like I can with the 26L. Matthew's post showing that the Z8+800PF can fit in the 26L was a game changer for me and was the #1 reason that I ordered a Zemlin lens hood as soon as I bought my PF.

Shown below is my Mindshift Gear Backlight (X-Pac limited release) with a new divider layout that I'm experimenting with. The gear consists of an 800mm PF with Z8 body mounted and a Kirk tripod foot. Also shown in this shot is a Tamron 70-200 G2 on the FTZ; I alternate between that and a 300PF as my secondary lens. The additional space is used for the camera strap (Magpul QD sling) and spare batteries/memory cards. I keep this bag set up for the 800PF specifically and I keep my other Backlight 26L set up for the 500PF (or any other lenses/arrangements).

Being able to fit an 800mm lens, mounted on a body, into such a (relatively) small bag is incredible to me. Really shows just how awesome the 800PF's form factor is.
DSC_5262-Enhanced-NR-4.jpg

I know this isn't technically the point of the thread but I also wanted to quickly mention for those who would like a hydration system on their bags (which I previously badly wished the Backlight bags could support), the Hardside Hydration kit that turns a Nalgene into a reservoir has worked wonderfully for me and integrates perfectly onto the bag using the water bottle pockets on either side. With this added to the Backlight 26L I really struggle to find anything to complain about on this bag.

DSC_5261-Enhanced-NR-3.jpgDSC_5258-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

Last edited:
Currently starting to plan a trip to Costa Rica next year and have some questions. Won’t entirely be a photo trip, but it is a big part of it and one of the reasons I’ve agreed to go. I’m currently stuck on bags and just need opinions on what to do.

Do I buy one bag and try and stuff everything in or should I add personal item bag to disperse the weight a bit for air travel, but when out and about at destination can’t take everything with me.

Current equipment is:
- Canon 5d mk iv gripped
- Canon 90d gripped
- Ef 500 f/4 is usm mk 1 (either a zemlin or collapsing hood)
- ef 100-400 mk 2
- ef 24-105 f4 mk 2
- ef 16-35 f4
- ef 1.4 iii tc
- assorted batteries and cards, ssd

Would only be taking either the 16-35 or 24-105, and back up would be through iPhone 15 pro, so no laptop or tablet. Monopod or tripod would be in checked.

Removable icu would be preferable as I have a hiking pack I use most of the time around home and would like to be able to fit it in. I’m hopefully going to Newfoundland also next fall and will be camping majority of time so the pack will be going along in checked, just not to CR.

Currently starting to plan a trip to Costa Rica next year and have some questions. Won’t entirely be a photo trip, but it is a big part of it and one of the reasons I’ve agreed to go. I’m currently stuck on bags and just need opinions on what to do.

Do I buy one bag and try and stuff everything in or should I add personal item bag to disperse the weight a bit for air travel, but when out and about at destination can’t take everything with me.

Current equipment is:
- Canon 5d mk iv gripped
- Canon 90d gripped
- Ef 500 f/4 is usm mk 1 (either a zemlin or collapsing hood)
- ef 100-400 mk 2
- ef 24-105 f4 mk 2
- ef 16-35 f4
- ef 1.4 iii tc
- assorted batteries and cards, ssd

Would only be taking either the 16-35 or 24-105, and back up would be through iPhone 15 pro, so no laptop or tablet. Monopod or tripod would be in checked.

Removable icu would be preferable as I have a hiking pack I use most of the time around home and would like to be able to fit it in. I’m hopefully going to Newfoundland also next fall and will be camping majority of time so the pack will be going along in checked, just not to CR.

I believe all of that would fit in the Nya Evo 60-C, and so would a laptop. FWIW, I find the bag to be incredibly well made and very comfortable to hike with—easily the most comfortable camera bag I have to hike with.

I also have a Wandr’d 9L sling for smaller stuff. So, I carry on the Nya and take the Wandr’d as my personal item. The Wandr’d makes a fantastic sling to hike with for landscape photos.

I can't help you with your safari weight restrictions, however I do know people who have taken both the 400 TC and 600 TC with them to Africa.

I'll post a couple of pictures here with an otherwise empty bag carrying 3 lenses (and 2 bodies) that weighs in at 11.66 kgs (25.7 lbs) and then pare it down to just a 2 lens / 2 body configuration that weighs in at 10.7 kgs (23.6 lbs)

Here is my bag/RCI configuration with a Z9 on the 600 TC (with OEM hood), Z8 on the 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, and an extra Z 24-70 2.8 lens in the upper left portion of the RCI:
View attachment 93545

View looking down from the top: Z9 on the 600mm and spare 24-70 f/2.8 on the side
View attachment 93546

Bag weight with 2 bodies and 3 lenses (Z8, Z9, 600 TC, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, and 24-70 f/2.8) = 11.66 kgs / 25.7 lbs
View attachment 93549

Now with the 24-70 2.8 removed, the bag weight with 2 bodies and 2 lenses (Z8, Z9, 600 TC and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6) = 10.7 kgs / 23.6 lbs

View attachment 93547

So at the bare minimum, with just the Z8 and Z9 camera bodies, and the 600 TC and 100-400 lens, and nothing else in the bag, the weight comes in at 23.6 lbs.

In order to get the weight down below that, you will need to pull out one or more of those pieces, and carry it in another way (e.g., separate bag, coat pocket, etc.).

Otherwise, with weight restrictions aside, you have a pretty good traveling kit with the NYA-EVO Fjord 60-C and the XL RCI insert!
This setup is very similar to my needs. When traveling with the 400/2.8, my most likely kit with be a (plus a MacBook Pro 15")

1) Z9, Z8, 400/2.8 TC, 70-200/2.8 and 24-70/2.8, along with TC-14
2) My non 400/2.8 kit will be either
a) 2 bodies, 70-200, 50/1.2, 24-70, 12-24
b) Just Z9, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/1.8 and 24-70

I received the bag Wednesday and the XL RCI insert last night. Bag is really solid and well thought out. Thanks for recommending it !

I was planning to fit Z9+800 mounted and z8+500 mounted in the 26L. Do you think I can do that?
I don't own a Z9 to check, so I can't give an answer with total certainty. Unfortunately the best answer I can give is: maybe, depending on your tolerance for bag deformation. It's definitely pushing the limits even if it's possible.

My other body is a D500 so here's some attempts at fitting it in with the 500PF. With the 500PF hood mounted properly, it deformed the bottom of the bag enough that it's a challenge to zip closed and likely won't ride well on your back. Reversing the 500PF hood definitely makes it an easier fit but you're still pushing against the sides of the bag (not sure I'd be concerned about that part though). Probably not what you're looking for, but removing the 800PF hood entirely helps as well, and if you're willing to split the 500PF and body apart the Tetris game gets a lot easier and it's no trouble at all.

Note also that the bag does zip up with the D500 turned sideways, but it causes the back panel to bulge a bit. So the method with the 500PF unmounted from the second body is the only one where the bag isn't bulging in any direction. If you have a Z9 in place of my Z8, the additional height will mean it's fitting pretty snug but I think the bag is deep enough that it should accommodate that aspect okay.
20240726_114209.jpg20240726_114356.jpg20240726_114457.jpg20240726_114707.jpg

I don't own a Z9 to check, so I can't give an answer with total certainty. Unfortunately the best answer I can give is: maybe, depending on your tolerance for bag deformation. It's definitely pushing the limits even if it's possible.

My other body is a D500 so here's some attempts at fitting it in with the 500PF. With the 500PF hood mounted properly, it deformed the bottom of the bag enough that it's a challenge to zip closed and likely won't ride well on your back. Reversing the 500PF hood definitely makes it an easier fit but you're still pushing against the sides of the bag (not sure I'd be concerned about that part though). Probably not what you're looking for, but removing the 800PF hood entirely helps as well, and if you're willing to split the 500PF and body apart the Tetris game gets a lot easier and it's no trouble at all.

Note also that the bag does zip up with the D500 turned sideways, but it causes the back panel to bulge a bit. So the method with the 500PF unmounted from the second body is the only one where the bag isn't bulging in any direction. If you have a Z9 in place of my Z8, the additional height will mean it's fitting pretty snug but I think the bag is deep enough that it should accommodate that aspect okay.
View attachment 93970View attachment 93971View attachment 93972View attachment 93973
Thank you! That's exactly info I was looking for. I don't mind bag deformation, but looks like Zemlin hood is obligatory here. My setup would for sure fit into 36L, but it's too big compared to 26L.

does anyone have experience with the Ruggard Alpine 600, Lowepro Lens Trekker 600, or something similar?

I currently have a Think Tank Glass Limo, and it fit the Z9 + 400TC + 2x attached no problem, but it won't fit the Z9 + 600TC attached.

I have the Boris IV and Nya Evo 60L, but often times when I know I'm just bringing 1 body and 1 lens, I want a bag to accommodate that

thanks!

tall bags.png

does anyone have experience with the Ruggard Alpine 600, Lowepro Lens Trekker 600, or something similar?

I currently have a Think Tank Glass Limo, and it fit the Z9 + 400TC + 2x attached no problem, but it won't fit the Z9 + 600TC attached.

I have the Boris IV and Nya Evo 60L, but often times when I know I'm just bringing 1 body and 1 lens, I want a bag to accommodate that

thanks!

View attachment 94563

I have the Alpine that fits my 600f4, 1.4X TC and A1 with battery grip. Very handy setup.

Back