Ideal focal length for spring warblers on territory?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nothing to add about lens choice it's been covered. I live in Northern Kentucky about 20 miles south of Cincinnati. SW Ohio from the Ohio River up the Great Miami River through Dayton Ohio is a migration route for springtime and autumn warblers. Adams County, Portsmouth and Edge of Appalachia are others. I'm sure your tour guide had already scouted out the hotspots and/or has locals on call. If you're in SW Ohio there is a chance I will see you but again there are a lot of areas. I saw, Common Yellowthroat and Yellow Rumps. Another fellow said he saw Pine and Palm warblers but I didn't see them.

One thing to keep in mind, the overwhelming majority of the birds here when you will be here are passing through. They will not be on territory or defending nesting sites. A few nest here (yellow rumps, prothonotary and some others but most are just hanging around here for a couple weeks to fatten up before heading on north to their nesting areas in Canada and the far northern parts of Ohio. Our rivers (Kentucky, Cumberland, Licking, Ohio in Kentucky, Great Miami, Little Miami, Scioto in Ohio) are natural migration routes for many species of birds including various warblers.

Hope you have a great time in our area. It is beautiful in the springtime. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Jeff

Nothing to add about lens choice it's been covered. I live in Northern Kentucky about 20 miles south of Cincinnati. SW Ohio from the Ohio River up the Great Miami River through Dayton Ohio is a migration route for springtime and autumn warblers. Adams County, Portsmouth and Edge of Appalachia are others. I'm sure your tour guide had already scouted out the hotspots and/or has locals on call. If you're in SW Ohio there is a chance I will see you but again there are a lot of areas. I saw, Common Yellowthroat and Yellow Rumps. Another fellow said he saw Pine and Palm warblers but I didn't see them.

One thing to keep in mind, the overwhelming majority of the birds here when you will be here are passing through. They will not be on territory or defending nesting sites. A few nest here (yellow rumps, prothonotary and some others but most are just hanging around here for a couple weeks to fatten up before heading on north to their nesting areas in Canada and the far northern parts of Ohio. Our rivers (Kentucky, Cumberland, Licking, Ohio in Kentucky, Great Miami, Little Miami, Scioto in Ohio) are natural migration routes for many species of birds including various warblers.

Hope you have a great time in our area. It is beautiful in the springtime. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Jeff

Is there a resource for when a species might frequent a given area? I'm in NE Ohio/Cleveland.

Is there a resource for when a species might frequent a given area? I'm in NE Ohio/Cleveland.
I'm not aware of a specific resource. I see tracking sometimes on the web. eBird is a good tool. I find it cumbersome but "birders" swear by it (I swear at it).

Where you I've is a hotspot for warbler migrations. MaGee Marsh, Howard Marsh, Maumee State Park, Ottawa NWR, and the surrounding areas the first 2 weeks of May almost every year are peak time. Warblers stop off in those marsh areas to fuel up before island hopping across the lake to get into Canada.

Where I I've it is about a week or 2 earlier. We usually see them from about 3rd week of April to first week of May. Some scouts have been showing up here the past few days but the main wave will start here next week and last about 2 weeks. Birder's dream time. Lots of warblers that are only seen here 2 times a year (spring and fall).

Hope this helps.

I'm not aware of a specific resource. I see tracking sometimes on the web. eBird is a good tool. I find it cumbersome but "birders" swear by it (I swear at it).

Where you I've is a hotspot for warbler migrations. MaGee Marsh, Howard Marsh, Maumee State Park, Ottawa NWR, and the surrounding areas the first 2 weeks of May almost every year are peak time. Warblers stop off in those marsh areas to fuel up before island hopping across the lake to get into Canada.

Where I I've it is about a week or 2 earlier. We usually see them from about 3rd week of April to first week of May. Some scouts have been showing up here the past few days but the main wave will start here next week and last about 2 weeks. Birder's dream time. Lots of warblers that are only seen here 2 times a year (spring and fall).

Hope this helps.

Sadly those are all NW Ohio, more Toledo. I'm around the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Mentor Marsh, Cleveland and Akron metroparks, etc. Thanks for the info, though.

Sadly those are all NW Ohio, more Toledo. I'm around the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Mentor Marsh, Cleveland and Akron metroparks, etc. Thanks for the info, though.
Sorry. I don't really know anyone up your direction. I'm more familiar with eastern side of Ohio. If you make the trip toward east, Maumee State Park is a nice place to use as your headquarters.

Sorry. I don't really know anyone up your direction. I'm more familiar with eastern side of Ohio. If you make the trip toward east, Maumee State Park is a nice place to use as your headquarters.

That is western Ohio. Great area and a nice 2 hour road trip for me. More Steve's neck of the woods.

Last edited:
eBird let's you explore data for specific species or location. You can see the peak reported observations for major birding hotspots in a given area. It is a little cumbersome, but the data is there.

In Minnesota in recent years, I used a Z7 or Z7II with the 500 mm PF and 1.4x TCIII for warblers. That leaves you at 700 mm and f8. And even then, I often cropped my images. Darker condtions in a forest may force higher ISOs.

I started using the Z9 and 500 mm PF + 1.4x TCIII for warblers last spring after getting a Z9 in January. This year I will use the Z9 and Z 800 mm PF. Having used the 500 mm PF and 1.4x TCIII, I'm sure that 800 mm will not be too much focal length in most cases and f6.3 is faster than f8 (there may of course be times when you need more depth of field than wide open). It's possible that the Z 800 mm PF's minimum focus distance will occasionaly be a bit long -- have not had an issue with that so far in other shooting. But the warblers are just starting to arrive -- saw my first yellow-rumped warblers recently.

Warblers move around a lot and quickly, rarely staying still for long. So you want to be prepared to act quickly. With my Z7/Z7II, I used to set a longer delay before the camera went to sleep or even turn off the timer. Touching the shutter button as you bring a camera to your eye can help too. The Z9 is faster to be ready to take a photo, but any delays may still be worth thinking about.

Given their rapid movement, I have normally shot/shoot warblers handheld. A tripod may slow your reaction to them, depending on circumstances.

[Fixed a typo.]

Last edited:
Yes, Steve lives over around that part of the state. I'm in Northern Kentucky about 20 miles south of Cincinnati.
Don't want to turn this into a general discussion about "best places to live," but although I like living where I do (San Francisco Bay Area) the lack of a dramatic spring passerine migration is something I do not like about the Left Coast. Our birds trickle in or trickle by starting in February and continuing well into May. That's a big reason I have scheduled a trip eastward every spring for the past several years, and if possible, I will do the same next year. Tropical Birding is conjuring up a new "Grand Warbler Photography Tour" for next May, starting in Kentucky and ending in northern Michigan by way of Magee Marsh. The aim is to photograph "all of the spring warblers." Sounds like fun.

Don't want to turn this into a general discussion about "best places to live," but although I like living where I do (San Francisco Bay Area) the lack of a dramatic spring passerine migration is something I do not like about the Left Coast. Our birds trickle in or trickle by starting in February and continuing well into May. That's a big reason I have scheduled a trip eastward every spring for the past several years, and if possible, I will do the same next year. Tropical Birding is conjuring up a new "Grand Warbler Photography Tour" for next May, starting in Kentucky and ending in northern Michigan by way of Magee Marsh. The aim is to photograph "all of the spring warblers." Sounds like fun.
Sounds like a great time to be had by all. Any ideas where in Kentucky you will be? If you are in the Cincinnati area, there is a little park called Shawnee Lookout. It is right where the Great Miami river empties into the Ohio River. It is always a good warbler spot in late April / early May. The "fort trail" has the best viewing opportunities.

I am signed up for a five-day trip through southern Ohio two weeks from now that focuses on photographing spring warblers. I am assuming that these will be newly arrived males on territory. For this kind of photography, what do people think the ideal focal length might be? Would the Nikon 800mm f6.3 be overkill? It focuses closer than the f5.6 version but it's still a lot of lens. Has anyone been on this type of trip previously? Any tips?
Going back and looking at my photos from Warbler season last year everything was with my 600F4 (with and without the 1.4x TC) or cropped down to ~900mm-1000mm equivalent. So I would say the 800mm is ideal and would be my choice.

Reactions: SMB
500mm should be enough in my experience, although there was a time I sat down and photographed a Kentucky Warbler on territory with a D7500 and a 300mm F/4. I found 300mm was plenty because the bird was just doing its thing right in front of me as I sat still, plus that species tends to stay close to the ground, but that's not the norm with these birds. It helps if you have a cooperative bird, but there are ways to get them to come close. If you're photographing a bird on territory you'll have much better luck getting a good shot, especially if they're a species that doesn't hang out 100 ft up in the trees. As for migrants, they're too busy eating and zipping around in the canopy, though you might get lucky here and there.

52281827105_c29a689285_k.jpg

That's a flat-out fantastic photo of the Kentucky warbler. Yes, if you can get a cooperative bird that comes in close you can use a shorter focal length and get great images. And you have a better chance at these kinds of images the more time you spend, i.e., if you stay in one strategic spot quietly and wait. The problem is that even on a "bird photography trip" as opposed to a 'birding trip" you have very limited time in any given place. Leaders tend to be reluctant to take the chance that the group will whiff on a species by waiting at "the right spot" on what turns out to be the wrong day, UNLESS it's a species that can be drawn in somehow, a topic that opens up a can of worms, so to speak (I am thinking of how photographers get photos of antpittas in South America).

As for migrants, the places to get them up close have to have the right conditions for the birds to feed at low levels in the vegetation and become fairly oblivious to birders and photographers. I am talking about Magee Marsh, of course, or other "migrant traps."

Sounds like a great time to be had by all. Any ideas where in Kentucky you will be? If you are in the Cincinnati area, there is a little park called Shawnee Lookout. It is right where the Great Miami river empties into the Ohio River. It is always a good warbler spot in late April / early May. The "fort trail" has the best viewing opportunities.
I think in the past they have gone to Red River Gorge. That, and then on to Shawnee State Park in Ohio, seems like a kind of standard pathway for spring warbler trips. But Tropical Birding says they are revising the itinerary for future trips and they won't put out the new itinerary until sometime next month.

I think in the past they have gone to Red River Gorge. That, and then on to Shawnee State Park in Ohio, seems like a kind of standard pathway for spring warbler trips. But Tropical Birding says they are revising the itinerary for future trips and they won't put out the new itinerary until sometime next month.
sounds like a great time. Red River Gorge is beautiful in the springtime. Take a wide angle lens and do some landscapes while you are there (if you haven't been to the area before).

If the tour brings you in the Cincinnati area, shout out if you have some free time from the tour for lunch or something.
Jeff

That's so exciting that you're going on a dedicated birding trip! Hope you see a lot of action! Absolutely the best time of year to be a bird photographer, right?

In my experience over the past few years, 500mm on the D500 was just about ideal for me, so that 700-800 range gives you good reach but not too much. The 800PF would seem like the natural successor to that vaunted setup, and seeing as this is my first warbler season w/ the 800PF, I'll have a better idea here in a few weeks if it's cut out for this task. That MFD does concern me a little, so I have the 400 + 1.4 as backup if I'm able to get closer. Ideally, would love a 600 TC, on the Z9 it'd be so versatile for warblers!

Saw my first warblers of the season the other day! Here's a shot from the 800PF w/ no crop, posting to show results at distance (bird was about 25 feet away). This isn't a photo I'll keep, as it was a spur-of-the-moment shot when this female Yellow-rumped appeared from out of nowhere as I was returning to my car as the light was about gone. I'm just happy to see them back again :)
View attachment 58967
This is a very interesting bird. Doesn't look like a pure Yellow-rump to me. Has elements of a Magnolia as well. Do you mind if I show it to a couple people who may know better?

This is a very interesting bird. Doesn't look like a pure Yellow-rump to me. Has elements of a Magnolia as well. Do you mind if I show it to a couple people who may know better?
Absolutely, I'd definitely be interested to find out too. Now that you mention it, the necklace on the yellow breast is a Magnolia hallmark, while the obvious butter butt belongs to a Yellow-rump (they have the necklace, but don't have the yellow breast). Curious... I just thought it was an early YRW that was molting to breeding plumage.

Thanks for the answers so far.
I actually went out to a local hotspot a few days ago (the parking lot of a Target store, if you can believe it) with the Z9 and 800pf, and I found that the testosterone-driven male Audubon's warblers (I never believed in the lumping with Myrtle) came in so close that they barely fit in the full-frame viewfinder (attached). I do think this is the exception, however. Mostly, these tiny birds are not all that close. As for low light, my colleagues in Colombia in January seemed to think nothing of shooting at ISO 12800, thanks to the new generation of noise reduction software. I actually rarely use crop mode for my bird photography, as using the full frame makes locating a small bird in foliage much easier. Cropping in post is easy. I suppose I could/should either bring both the 500pf and 800pf, or else do some last-minute weight training and bring the 600. It is nice to have choices, I confess. I was and remain curious about what my fellow photographers use and do.
View attachment 58968
Nice image! and the parking lot birds!! I agree...800mm and you have to be able to move like they do so light weight is essential. And then a good chiropractor at the end of the trip for the warbler neck. And while I will do the 12800 when I have to, really don't want to. The key is to get exposure right no matter how high ISO goes I have found out the hard way. No bringing that image up in post with that already high ISO...and cropping as well. Steve said if the background is bright you can get away with higher ISO. I second @DavidT with the monopod and gimbal head. I used this for a lot of my Vancouver trip chasing owls with the 600 plus TC. It was lighter and took some load off trying to carry the whole thing around. I am going to take that arrangement to a Columbian Sharp-tail shoot next week because it will be easier to hike with and work with in a tight blind. Wishing you the best of times in Ohio!

Last edited:
Running a Nikon D7500 with. 200-500 lens and I appreciate the flexibility when out in tight cover shooting warblers In Northern Ohio. There have been times I’ve gone down to 200mm and still had to back up to get a shot, often while at Magee Marsh. Also times wishing I had a bit more reach.
CB38D057-7F6A-422A-B9DB-65CD3CC5C69B.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

In the Spring especially the Warblers are pretty territorial so if you hear them (or the phone app does!) and you are patient enough they will start to ignore your presence and get pretty close. So 500/600/800 can all work. I find a tripod is most helpful because you can be standing for a long time!
From my backyard, Pine Warbler on a Virginia Red bud. Sony A1, 600mm f4, RRS Tripod.

20230411_House Birds_091027_0494.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back