I'm Back :)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As many of you know, I was in the hospital with COVID for two weeks and have recently made it back home. I wanted to let you know that I'm back and also what happened. My wife has been giving you updates and I know there was a bit of radio silence there for a bit so I thought I'd fill you in on the details.

First though, I sincerely want to thank every one or your support and understanding. There is simply no way for me to express my gratitude for all the kind words, prayers, and well-wishes I read in your follow-up comments's to Roses's posts. They really meant the world to me and knowing I had so much support really made a difference in my recovery (seriously). I really, truly feel like you are my extended family.

So, here's what happened.

I believe I caught COVID at a dentist visit. I had always had bad reactions to the cold / flu so we were incredibly careful when this came out. No eating out, no shopping, no one outside of our bubble. Basically for the last year we've been isolated as much as physically possible. However, based on the timeline of my symptoms, I think I should have canceled my dentist appointment. It was the only place I went that week aside from a quick 8 minute trip to the (mostly empty) grocery store. (Naturally, there's no way to know for 100% sure if it was the dentist or not, but it's the only thing that makes sense).

I started having mild symptoms about three weeks ago now and didn't think it would amount to much. In fact, I finished my review of the Z6/7ii for wildlife but ended up too exhausted to post it (it's coming as soon as I can muster the energy). As the first week went on, I become more and more fatigued and after 10 days of fever we decided we should stop by the hospital and see what they thought. They immediately checked me in with Covid pneumonia.

The first few days were OK, but then I took a bad turn. My oxygen requirements skyrocketed and soon I was in the ICU maxing out the high-flow oxygen machine. At this point they were about to put me on a ventilator and didn't expect a "good outcome" - basically they thought COVID was going to take me off the census.

I don't fully recall much of the next few days. The doctor tells me I fought like hell to keep myself off the ventilator. I only remember not being able to breath well, all kinds of cramps and incredibly uncomfortable positions, and just trying to do what they told me. Fortunately, I was able to turn the corner before I needed a ventilator. All I know is every one of my doctors and nurses tell me I'm very lucky to still be here. That's why Rose wasn't updating as much during that time - things looked pretty dark there for awhile.

At this point, they tell me I still have a long road to recovery. I'm still on oxygen and will likely be for some time. Just walking across the room feels like a Herculean effort and it doesn't take much to knock me down. This post alone has taken over an hour to write (for comparison, I typically write 3000+ words in an afternoon if I'm working on a book).

Again, the main thing is that I really want is to thank everyone for your support, understanding, and patience. I promise I will be working hard to get some new content / video up as soon as physically possible (especially that z6/7ii video) and I hope to start posting regularly in the forums again very soon.

Also, a special thank you to everyone for keeping everything so congenial while I was out - I may be biased, but the members on this forum are, by far, the most knowledgeable, friendliest, group of people you could ever want to meet. Thanks again everyone. :)
So sorry to hear of your illness and delighted you’ve recovered. My much loved brother in law was taken by the virus and it’s a vicious disease. Glad you fought it and won.

@Steve how’s the recovery going? Hope you’re getting plenty of rest and being spoilt silly by @Rose

Really well so far.

Two weeks ago I could barely walk and was on constant oxygen. Today, I drove my truck to lunch (drive through, but still), and walked the length of my driveway. Doesn't sound like much, but we live on 3 acres and my driveway is about 300 feet long :) No oxygen for any of it and never lost my breath or got into low numbers on my o2 saturation. I can't do it fast, that's for sure, but I can do it. It seems like what I can do gets better every day, so I'm pleased with the progress. :)

We did have a blood clot scare on Friday - my right leg was a bit swollen and painful. Doc was sure it was a clot but the scan was negative. Thankfully, the swelling / pain are just about gone now. I think I just overdid it somehow.

As many of you know, I was in the hospital with COVID for two weeks and have recently made it back home. I wanted to let you know that I'm back and also what happened. My wife has been giving you updates and I know there was a bit of radio silence there for a bit so I thought I'd fill you in on the details.

First though, I sincerely want to thank every one or your support and understanding. There is simply no way for me to express my gratitude for all the kind words, prayers, and well-wishes I read in your follow-up comments's to Roses's posts. They really meant the world to me and knowing I had so much support really made a difference in my recovery (seriously). I really, truly feel like you are my extended family.

I believe I caught COVID at a dentist visit. I had always had bad reactions to the cold / flu so we were incredibly careful when this came out. No eating out, no shopping, no one outside of our bubble. Basically for the last year we've been isolated as much as physically possible. However, based on the timeline of my symptoms, I think I should have canceled my dentist appointment. It was the only place I went that week aside from a quick 8 minute trip to the (mostly empty) grocery store. (Naturally, there's no way to know for 100% sure if it was the dentist or not, but it's the only thing that makes sense).

I started having mild symptoms about three weeks ago now and didn't think it would amount to much. In fact, I finished my review of the Z6/7ii for wildlife but ended up too exhausted to post it (it's coming as soon as I can muster the energy). As the first week went on, I become more and more fatigued and after 10 days of fever we decided we should stop by the hospital and see what they thought. They immediately checked me in with Covid pneumonia.

The first few days were OK, but then I took a bad turn. My oxygen requirements skyrocketed and soon I was in the ICU maxing out the high-flow oxygen machine. At this point they were about to put me on a ventilator and didn't expect a "good outcome" - basically they thought COVID was going to take me off the census.

I don't fully recall much of the next few days. The doctor tells me I fought like hell to keep myself off the ventilator. I only remember not being able to breath well, all kinds of cramps and incredibly uncomfortable positions, and just trying to do what they told me. Fortunately, I was able to turn the corner before I needed a ventilator. All I know is every one of my doctors and nurses tell me I'm very lucky to still be here. That's why Rose wasn't updating as much during that time - things looked pretty dark there for awhile.

At this point, they tell me I still have a long road to recovery. I'm still on oxygen and will likely be for some time. Just walking across the room feels like a Herculean effort and it doesn't take much to knock me down. This post alone has taken over an hour to write (for comparison, I typically write 3000+ words in an afternoon if I'm working on a book).

Again, the main thing is that I really want is to thank everyone for your support, understanding, and patience. I promise I will be working hard to get some new content / video up as soon as physically possible (especially that z6/7ii video) and I hope to start posting regularly in the forums again very soon.

Also, a special thank you to everyone for keeping everything so congenial while I was out - I may be biased, but the members on this forum are, by far, the most knowledgeable, friendliest, group of people you could ever want to meet. Thanks again everyone. :)
Wishing the best for you in your recovery.

Hi Steve, it's time I wrote my thoughts to you as well about how good it is to know you are well on the mend and back home! I've been reading all the support from your readers and would like to reiterate the vibes going to you and to your wife Rose. So, keep up with getting stronger and enjoying yourselves. Well done, pal!
Crawley, West Sussex, England

Really well so far.

Two weeks ago I could barely walk and was on constant oxygen. Today, I drove my truck to lunch (drive through, but still), and walked the length of my driveway. Doesn't sound like much, but we live on 3 acres and my driveway is about 300 feet long :) No oxygen for any of it and never lost my breath or got into low numbers on my o2 saturation. I can't do it fast, that's for sure, but I can do it. It seems like what I can do gets better every day, so I'm pleased with the progress. :)

We did have a blood clot scare on Friday - my right leg was a bit swollen and painful. Doc was sure it was a clot but the scan was negative. Thankfully, the swelling / pain are just about gone now. I think I just overdid it somehow.
So glad to hear of your good progress.

Hi Steve, I am glad to hear that you have pulled through this. Best wishes for a complete recovery. You are my best source of Nikon information. I have had my first Pfizer vaccination and have the second scheduled next week.

Really well so far.

Glad to hear - sorry, read - that, especially that you didn't get a second hit through the backdoor by this clot.
And yes, overdoing is another backdoor for this. As soon as you start to feel better there is always a risk of loosing the right measure, because there are things like euphoria and (positive) impatience and the (not so posiive) feeling of having to compensate something. I make that mistake over and over again.

So, please be careful. Patience is one of the best hidden catalysts for speeding up processes in the world and it works particularly well in health recovery :D(y).

Just be careful. I know of folks who came down with it 6 months ago who are still not fully recovered. This is definitely not just another version of the flu.
I think that's what's a lot of people don't get. This isn't something where once the symptoms stop, you're over it.

Glad to hear - sorry, read - that, especially that you didn't get a second hit through the backdoor by this clot.
And yes, overdoing is another backdoor for this. As soon as you start to feel better there is always a risk of loosing the right measure, because there are things like euphoria and (positive) impatience and the (not so posiive) feeling of having to compensate something. I make that mistake over and over again.

So, please be careful. Patience is one of the best hidden catalysts for speeding up processes in the world and it works particularly well in health recovery :D(y).
Everything I do is (now) VERY measured and careful :) My calf / leg issue taught me that - too much (even on accident, as was the case there) and you only make things worse. I'm balancing between making sure I'm doing as much as I can and overdoing it. The more I do, the better I get but the second you take it too far, you're stuck until things heal. I'm finding the key is lots of small activities right now (getting up to walk at least once an hour) and no long-duration stuff.

BTW - my leg problem was from standing too long, so it's easy to make a mistake. Really gotta think about this all the time and every time you move.

Still, each week is noticeably better. It's just that the road from where I am to where I want to be is so long...

Everything I do is very measured and that's not covid, just age. Any jobs I do it's always 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. Takes longer but still gets done.

Like me you've got all the time in the world whilst the effects of covid remain. No need to overdo anything.

BTW, as far as you're writing is concerned have you considered speech recognition software. It's an option on the latest versions of WORD. I found it to be excellent at lifting the pressure when writing. I have athritis pretty bad in one hand and I can't type for more than about 10 minutes at a time. Tidying up any mis-spellings or bad grammar afterwards isn't anything like as time consuming.

Everything I do is very measured and that's not covid, just age. Any jobs I do it's always 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. Takes longer but still gets done.

Like me you've got all the time in the world whilst the effects of covid remain. No need to overdo anything.

BTW, as far as you're writing is concerned have you considered speech recognition software. It's an option on the latest versions of WORD. I found it to be excellent at lifting the pressure when writing. I have athritis pretty bad in one hand and I can't type for more than about 10 minutes at a time. Tidying up any mis-spellings or bad grammar afterwards isn't anything like as time consuming.

No problem writing at all, so that's good. I have tried speech recognition software but it doesn't work for me. It's not that it doesn't type what I'm saying, it's that I think better as a type rather than dictating. You'd think it would be the same but it's not, if I want to write, I gotta type to do it. The truth is, I've been writing my whole life, from magazine articles, to blog posts, to books - I'm sure I've typed millions of words and now I can't do it any other way (or, at least not as well).

LOL, You'd also think this would mean less typos, but nope...

Very glad to hear you're on the mend Steve, and thanks for the update.

LOL, You'd also think this would mean less typos, but nope...

The only things that help here is the tolerance of other people :D.
The funny thing about it is that science observed a trend, that you produce less typos if not writing in your native language - maybe because you are writing more conciously.
That said, looking at some of my posts after a couple of days I just wonder how people can understand the things I write in German :LOL:.

Hello, Steve,
I am pleased to read that you are on the way, with determination, to be well soon.
You and Rose have gone through a great deal of worries. Your strong will to hang on has prevailed.
Kudos to the hospital doctors and nurses who have done a fantastic job keeping you safe on this earth, for your sake and our pleasure to keep learning from your amazing tutorials. Thank you.
Frederic

Just joined the forum though have been your YouTube subscriber a long time. Really glad that you’re recovering well from the virus attack....your usual wit and humor proves that. No need to make a reply as you’re already swamped with well- wishers ......save your energy and get well soon🙏😊🇨🇦

I'm saddened by the description of your prognosis whilst suffering from this horrible virus but glad to hear of your recovery, even tough it is a very slow process. Lets hope and pray that a full recovery will eventuate. God Bless. Best wishes from OZ

Dear Steve:
I have watched your You Tube videos over the last few years and have just joined the Forum. I really like your style and how you make complex subjects easy to understand.

Very glad you are back home and improving--but as many other posters have said, please take your time. We are anxious to benefit from your wisdom and insights, but don't do more than you can comfortably. We can and will wait.

Best wishes

Karl

Back