I'm Back :)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Dear Steve:
I have watched your You Tube videos over the last few years and have just joined the Forum. I really like your style and how you make complex subjects easy to understand.

Very glad you are back home and improving--but as many other posters have said, please take your time. We are anxious to benefit from your wisdom and insights, but don't do more than you can comfortably. We can and will wait.

Best wishes

Karl

Thanks :) The good news is I'm getting better faster than expected. Hiked 1.3 miles (2K) last night, 600mm F/4, camera, and monopod slung over my shoulder. Didn't get winded once, so I'm getting there. :).

(Sadly, still a far cry from what I could do before, but a month ago I was bedridden and walking to the bathroom in my hospital room was an impossible task)[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Steve, I am new in this forum. It’s been a bad year for me and I didn’t even realize it existed as I have had to take a break from photography for a while. I am glad you are well and healing because you are like a friend you didn’t know I had. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in 2017 and was a photographer of people before that and was no longer to keep up with the demands of it. So to help me, I turned to photographing birds and wildlife when I had a day I felt like doing it. You helped me so much and you didn’t even know you were helping someone learn a whole new genre and get through one of the toughest times of my life. I sent some help your way, and I am glad to hear you are out of the woods. Please be kind to yourself and take care of yourself and don’t push to hard to do anything until you are ready! I had no idea you had been sick or this forum even existed until yesterday. Thank you for everything you have done to help me in the past and I am now looking forward to be a part of this forum. Thank you for everything you do, you always give so much. Have a blessed day sir!
I hope you’re doing ok?

I too am new in this forum. Steve, I'm very happy to hear that you're still alive and making a good recovery. I got down with covid in November and while I never ended up in the hospital, I'm still making my way back five months later. My breathing is not nearly what it used to be and I can hardly do anything without being exhausted. My best bet right now is to place myself with a tripod somewhere because I can't walk very far and I have to rest for days after taking even the smallest hike. It's incredible the things we take for granted.

I too am new in this forum. Steve, I'm very happy to hear that you're still alive and making a good recovery. I got down with covid in November and while I never ended up in the hospital, I'm still making my way back five months later. My breathing is not nearly what it used to be and I can hardly do anything without being exhausted. My best bet right now is to place myself with a tripod somewhere because I can't walk very far and I have to rest for days after taking even the smallest hike. It's incredible the things we take for granted.

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm getting back but my breathing still isn't close to 100% yet. However, I've been walking / hiking every day and it's making a big difference. A month ago I needed o2 all the time and could barely get to the bathroom. Two weeks ago I did my first 1/2 mile. Yesterday, I hiked 2 miles at a 3.5 MPH pace, passing lots of people as I went (4MPH is as fast as I can walk, after that I have to jog). Each day I walk, I get better and can go farther and the hills don't beat me up quite as bad as the day or week before. Not sure if it will help (everyone is different with this thing), but I know daily walks seem to be helping me quite a bit. Surprisingly so.

As many of you know, I was in the hospital with COVID for two weeks and have recently made it back home. I wanted to let you know that I'm back and also what happened. My wife has been giving you updates and I know there was a bit of radio silence there for a bit so I thought I'd fill you in on the details.

First though, I sincerely want to thank every one or your support and understanding. There is simply no way for me to express my gratitude for all the kind words, prayers, and well-wishes I read in your follow-up comments's to Roses's posts. They really meant the world to me and knowing I had so much support really made a difference in my recovery (seriously). I really, truly feel like you are my extended family.

So, here's what happened.

I believe I caught COVID at a dentist visit. I had always had bad reactions to the cold / flu so we were incredibly careful when this came out. No eating out, no shopping, no one outside of our bubble. Basically for the last year we've been isolated as much as physically possible. However, based on the timeline of my symptoms, I think I should have canceled my dentist appointment. It was the only place I went that week aside from a quick 8 minute trip to the (mostly empty) grocery store. (Naturally, there's no way to know for 100% sure if it was the dentist or not, but it's the only thing that makes sense).

I started having mild symptoms about three weeks ago now and didn't think it would amount to much. In fact, I finished my review of the Z6/7ii for wildlife but ended up too exhausted to post it (it's coming as soon as I can muster the energy). As the first week went on, I become more and more fatigued and after 10 days of fever we decided we should stop by the hospital and see what they thought. They immediately checked me in with Covid pneumonia.

The first few days were OK, but then I took a bad turn. My oxygen requirements skyrocketed and soon I was in the ICU maxing out the high-flow oxygen machine. At this point they were about to put me on a ventilator and didn't expect a "good outcome" - basically they thought COVID was going to take me off the census.

I don't fully recall much of the next few days. The doctor tells me I fought like hell to keep myself off the ventilator. I only remember not being able to breath well, all kinds of cramps and incredibly uncomfortable positions, and just trying to do what they told me. Fortunately, I was able to turn the corner before I needed a ventilator. All I know is every one of my doctors and nurses tell me I'm very lucky to still be here. That's why Rose wasn't updating as much during that time - things looked pretty dark there for awhile.

At this point, they tell me I still have a long road to recovery. I'm still on oxygen and will likely be for some time. Just walking across the room feels like a Herculean effort and it doesn't take much to knock me down. This post alone has taken over an hour to write (for comparison, I typically write 3000+ words in an afternoon if I'm working on a book).

Again, the main thing is that I really want is to thank everyone for your support, understanding, and patience. I promise I will be working hard to get some new content / video up as soon as physically possible (especially that z6/7ii video) and I hope to start posting regularly in the forums again very soon.

Also, a special thank you to everyone for keeping everything so congenial while I was out - I may be biased, but the members on this forum are, by far, the most knowledgeable, friendliest, group of people you could ever want to meet. Thanks again everyone. :)
So happy you turned the corner and you’re back home! We all want you to relax and get well! Wishing you and Rose all the best. We’ll be here when you fully recover.

Glad to see you’re okay Steve.
I was hospitalized in ICU for 5 weeks.
On my way back now, slow but steady(y)
Wow - that's a long time in the ICU, I'm really glad to hear you're on your way back. As they say take it slow and steady. I could hardly walk after my ICU experience and it was only for ten days, I can't imagine how it must be for you. Just know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again every one for your well wishes, greatly appreciated. I wanted to let you know I'm much better at this point. I've been off oxygen for awhile now, I hike nearly every day at my old pace and my old distances. My workouts are nearly back to normal. Still a bit of a cough and occasional fatigue, but nothing too bad. I'm actually out shooting quite a bit again and have spent the last week or so in the Smokies. I've even done a little hiking here with good success. So, while I can't say I'm fully recovered, I'm 90% or so. I still breath a bit more than I like when doing more strenuous exercise or activities, but that's getting better day by day. My normal activity is now unaffected :)

Wow! what an ordeal you and your family had to go through! I'm glad that you're out of the hospital. Please remember to be careful for next little while and give enough time to your body to recover. Best wishes to you and Rose!

Thanks again every one for your well wishes, greatly appreciated. I wanted to let you know I'm much better at this point. I've been off oxygen for awhile now, I hike nearly every day at my old pace and my old distances. My workouts are nearly back to normal. Still a bit of a cough and occasional fatigue, but nothing too bad. I'm actually out shooting quite a bit again and have spent the last week or so in the Smokies. I've even done a little hiking here with good success. So, while I can't say I'm fully recovered, I'm 90% or so. I still breath a bit more than I like when doing more strenuous exercise or activities, but that's getting better day by day. My normal activity is now unaffected :)
Great to hear.

All good news Steve , so many well wishes you’ve no choice other than to get fully better , best wishes for you both.

Glad to hear you’re doing that much better. I’ve been in the Smokies too, I’m surprised I didn’t see you somewhere.

Wow - that's a long time in the ICU, I'm really glad to hear you're on your way back. As they say take it slow and steady. I could hardly walk after my ICU experience and it was only for ten days, I can't imagine how it must be for you. Just know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Well I was intubated and held in coma for most of the time so I didn’t realize LOL
According to the doc I survived thanks the fact I’m (well was) strong and in very good shape.
Hopefully I’ll regain my strenght and stamina fast.
I started a three times per week fysiofitness program right now which really helps.

Well I was intubated and held in coma for most of the time so I didn’t realize LOL
According to the doc I survived thanks the fact I’m (well was) strong and in very good shape.
Hopefully I’ll regain my strenght and stamina fast.
I started a three times per week fysiofitness program right now which really helps.
It's funny, I was told the same thing about being (more or less in my case) fit. They said it would have been much worse if I did't exercise regularly. Exercise has made a real difference in my recovery as well.

I'm just really glad you pulled though, here's to a speedy recovery!

It's funny, I was told the same thing about being (more or less in my case) fit. They said it would have been much worse if I did't exercise regularly. Exercise has made a real difference in my recovery as well.

I'm just really glad you pulled though, here's to a speedy recovery!

Yup! Guess I would have died otherwise….
Thanks for your kindness Steve, appreciate it!

Oh Darn, I just came home from the Smokies in Western NC. Steve, If you and Rose ever want to come down to St Pete FL and do some awesome Coastal Bird photography, I would gladly host you. I live overlooking a preserve. Awesome place. Anytime ☺

Having gotten back into photography last year after a twenty-year hiatus, your content has been a profound tool in my reeducation. This is my first time coming to the forum. Just wanted to show support after watching your Q&A discussing your recent bought with Covid. Good to see you recovering, and I am optimistic about using this forum to help further my skills.

Back