Is it just me? Annoying praise...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Soopahmahn

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Not starting this thread to be overtly negative, I'm just genuinely interested in other photographers' experience and y'all are my favorite bunch I've found thus far. :love:

Does anyone ever compliment your photography by saying, "You must have an expensive camera," or "That looks great, what a nice camera?" This happened today to me, it's not the first time, but I was just very aware of how it made me feel.

These comments aren't meant to be mean, but I can't help but take it a little personally - I've shown you my art, you've indicated you like it, but you seem to think that the reason the picture looks nice is because I have an expensive camera. Maybe people believe that, or maybe they just don't think about photography like an art form.

I've never heard somebody say, "Wow that song was awesome, sounds like an expensive guitar!" Or, DaVinci must have used the absolute finest brushes, look how nice his paintings are. :LOL:

Makes me want to start shooting with a D40 and kit lens again.

It is just me?

1700508624259.png

Yep, I've heard the same. I think of it as a "Shakespeare must have had really nice ink quills" comment. People don't understand, and the problem grows daily as the general population equates photography with having a cell phone aimed randomly at something. To them, using anything other than a cell phone camera, and seeing awesome photos come from it, can only be explained (in their minds) by the equipment. I do wonder about photography's future sometimes.

If the source of the misfired compliment is an unknown human, I thank them, perhaps tell them some of my best photos were taken with a $200 film camera in the 1980's, and move along. If they are family or someone I care about, I'll take the time to share aspects of photography to help them appreciate the art and skill that can elevate a random snapshot into a beautiful photograph that tells a story.

Doesn't bother me a lot, I know that people aren't intending to be rude, and might even be complimenting me on the nice camera I have. Often times the same people ask me how I got the shot and soon hear that it was a full morning of waiting around to get he 10 seconds of opportunity for the shot in question. :)

Doesn't bother me a lot, I know that people aren't intending to be rude, and might even be complimenting me on the nice camera I have. Often times the same people ask me how I got the shot and soon hear that it was a full morning of waiting around to get he 10 seconds of opportunity for the shot in question. :)
Getting into photography taught me a lot about patience. I still can't wait as much as I'd like sometimes for things to happen, but I've gotten a lot better at waiting and just enjoying nature.

I personally dont care about those comments. I dont make the photos I do for the sake of the type of person who says that. I dont care if they think the gear is what makes the photo because I dont care 1 bit about their opinion. If it bothers me at all its only because they opened their mouth and made a sound when I was trying to be quiet.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Not saying they were "stupid", I think innocent ignorance is a better descriptor (but I wanted to give the exact quote above).

Also, I think this kind of compliment stems form people's experience with cameras. For most people, they notice an increase in quality each time they upgrade to a better camera. They start with a cheap point & shoot (or phone) and as they get better cameras, they notice they get better photos. They are unaware that there's a point of diminishing returns - and that's where art lives :)

Yeah, this person wasn't trying to hurt my feelings in the slightest. And only I can control my reactions to things. But my very first instinct is, "Oh, you think that's how this works eh?"

I took head+shoulders shots of some employees around our plant for a Christmas party, and I did the artsy thing with the 85mm f/1.4 lens shot wide open, big industrial bokeh balls everywhere. Not my usual thing but it worked out well and was a fun challenge. I edited up 45 photos and left print-size images in a folder for the person in HR coordinating the event.

"The pictures were amazing... That camera is great! 😊"

To Steve's point it is ignorance. She doesn't know if a D850 is a great camera, or that I used a lens manufactured in 1995 to get the shots.

Regardless, I am quite looking forward to seeing the work in print. :love:

The questions help me gauge the questioner's skill level or experience.

If they ask what camera I'm using or other meaningless question I'll answer as briefly as possible. If they ask about the biology behind the photo, or something other than equipment I'll answer more fully. I'll never let my answer carry the message 'what an ignorant question' because we were all ignorant at one time, and I'd rather not leave the other person with a sour taste in his/her mouth.

If I set out on a safari in the vehicle and new guests see my camera is it a given that I will take the most beautiful pictures from close and afar, as in, a frame filling photo of a leopard in a tree that is 300m away :).
Sure, they will never ask a cook what pan he used but for an outsider is it just so that big gear = expensive = therefore excellent = National Geographic quality foto. Except for that last part are they mostly right, it doesn’t need any knowledge and dedication to fill up your backpack with those shiny toys :)
I just not go in discussion with them but give myself some bragging rights by showing a photo of that bird we all see but they only had a smartphone available “as that is enough for us, it takes beautiful pictures” or “we just bought this camera before we left and reviews said it was very good”.

It is amazing what people do and spend on gear and have not the slightest idea that it takes effort to nail that photo. I always use the example of somebody that bought a Fuji with a nice zoom lens as it was getting good reviews and was how much the budget allowed for. We passed a roller that was posing nicely and all she got was a black bird rather than this colourful one. She asked advice and I did dial in 2 stops over exposure.
Bam, the bird was there in all its colours. The reaction: thank you, I will keep this setting for now …
That is the point where somebody realises that they need to learn and master the gear and respect the other photographers now when getting the shot :).

I don't see any reason to get offended nor do I see it as my responsibility to educate the world. Most folks are not intended go insult you. They really don't know or understand how cameras work, what is involved. What they're saying is nice photo. When it is coming from a non photographer, I take it as the compliment it was intended to be and say thank you.

People who don't know, just don't know. When I am told that, I say "No, not really."

Another one I hear, not just to me, is "These are really good. You should sell these." If the comment is to me, I sometimes ask politely if they'd like to purchase any of them. To date, I've never had a taker for the offer.

People who don't know, just don't know. When I am told that, I say "No, not really."

Another one I hear, not just to me, is "These are really good. You should sell these." If the comment is to me, I sometimes ask politely if they'd like to purchase any of them. To date, I've never had a taker for the offer.
Actually, I've had a few buy the images after saying that. The good news is I don't relay upon selling photographs to put food on the table. Then again, it may be a good weight loss plan.

Back