Is it just me? Annoying praise...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I hear ya - I wish I was out more too. It's weird - when I'm at home, I'm lucky if I'm out every other week. However, I also spend about a third of the year traveling when I'm out multiple times a day. The biggest issue I have is that I'm a little rusty (slow) when I start a trip since I'm not out as much as I'd like.
Steve, for me, the summer is usually my biggest down time. June of 2022 i think i shot only 3 days that month. In general dinner is slow for me.

Shooting, your own techniques even, is a perishable skill and i find it takes a day shooting to get back your techniques and the ability to instantly getting the subject in the frame again.

I had to have my Nikon 800PF repaired (gone 3 weeks) and just got it back Friday. I had a friend lend me his 500PF and another lent me his 180-600 the rest of the time and my first day shooting 800mm again took me 2 days to get back to instantly putting the bird in the frame again. It doesn't take long to lose those abilities. I ended up late yesterday spending about an hour shooting ring billed bills fishing

At first I agreed with the sentiment here, but the more I think about it, I'm not so sure. In my area the number of self-titled "wildlife photographers" increased exponentially during and after Covid. The vast majority of these are older retired or partially retired folks that were looking for something to do. They bought the best equipment they could afford. I meet these wildlife photographers all the time and am amazed at their complete lack of understanding of even basic photographic knowledge. They shoot on automatic, usually in P mode, with the more adventurous ones venturing into aperture or shutter priority occasionally. They don't understand why sometimes their images just don't "turn out". They shoot jpgs because they don't understand how to process raw or if they do, they use two adjustments, sharpening and saturation, turned way up. They have no respect for private property and will stalk wildlife until the stressed animal leaves the area.

May of these (to use Steve's term) innocently ignorant wildlife photographers own Z9s or the Sony or Cannon equivalent with the big glass. They do occasionally take a nice image, which only serves to reinforce their behavior and their elevated belief in their own skill level.

So maybe sometimes it is the nice camera or great lens that is responsible.

As a wildlife photographer for over 50 years; someone whose photos have graced magazines (including covers) been used in annual reports, articles, on websites and sales brochures; now older and retired; and someone who usually uses aperture mode to shoot jpgs, I both resemble and resent your remarks. Sure there are lots of photographers who are new to the game that have too much money and not enough of either common sense, just plain brains or are jerks in everything they do, but they're not all like that, even if they are newcomers. For most outdoor activities COVID was the worst thing that's happened to those of us who've been long-term hikers, canoeists, bike riders, cross-country skiers, fishers and photographers -- government agencies, gear retailers and the medical professionals all urged folks to "get outdoors" for their own, often selfiish, reasons. But there was no accompanying education -- big mistake! The newcomers' purchases helped out the manufacturers and retailers, some will sell their gear (opportunities galore), some will stay and enjoy their new-found interest, others will just drift off into the sunset of their lives or adopt new interests.

Last edited:
Come on folks,I think a lot of us ned to take ourselves a lot less seriously. The overwhelming majority of the time someone says "nice camera" or "wow that camera takes great pictures" mean absolutely no harm. They are offering a compliment to your photography. They are not photographers and have no idea what goes into taking a beautiful photo. However the beautiful photo is the object to which they are reacting. Why would I ever be insulted when someone is complimenting my photography? simply say thank you. If the opportunity comes up to talk photography, show them some of what goes into the creative process but most just want to say "nice shot" without really knowing how to do it.

I also do a lot of woodworking (custom flintlock rifles). When someone says "that is a beautiful piece of wood" I don't go off saying "God made the wood I made the stock". Nope, I just say thank you I was happy with the way it turned out.

A little grace goes a long way. I know there are those here who disagree with me and that is fine also. We all have our own style and pet peeves.

Jeff

Depend who it is. A friend I can be honest with, I ask them if they would tell their chef in their favorite restaurant that they must have a great stove or great set of knives. Sometimes I say, I send the camera out on vacation by itself and it comes back w/ some awesome pictures.

As a wildlife photographer for over 50 years; someone whose photos have graced magazines (including covers) been used in annual reports, articles, on websites and sales brochures; now older and retired; and someone who usually uses aperture mode to shoot jpgs, I both resemble and resent your remarks. Sure there are lots of photographers who are new to the game that have too much money and not enough of either common sense, just plain brains or are jerks in everything they do, but they're not all like that, even if they are newcomers. For most outdoor activities COVID was the worst thing that's happened to those of us who've been long-term hikers, canoeists, bike riders, cross-country skiers, fishers and photographers -- government agencies, gear retailers and the medical professionals all urged folks to "get outdoors" for their own, often selfisish, reasons. But there was no accompanying education -- big mistake! The newcomer's purchases helped out the manufacturers and retailers, some will sell their gear (opportunities galore), some will stay and enjoy their now-found interest, others will just drift off into the sunset of their lives or adopt new interests.

So you resent my remarks and then basically go on to agree with what I've said. I guess that and a couple of dollars will get you a cup of coffee. Have a nice day.

What I get is, "You have expensive-looking equipment; you must be a professional photographer?"

A few years back, I was taking photos with my NIKKOR 200 -400mm f/4, on Mahone Bay's Govt wharf. A fella in his pickup truck leaned out his window and yelled, "Hey buddy, how many watts is your lens?" I said, "It's 400 watts!" B^)

Let's face it, the latest equipment does make our photos better than ever. The modern-day camera is laterally a computer with an expensive piece of glass attached to it.
You should have replied "2.2-gigawatts!"

Depend who it is. A friend I can be honest with, I ask them if they would tell their chef in their favorite restaurant that they must have a great stove or great set of knives. Sometimes I say, I send the camera out on vacation by itself and it comes back w/ some awesome pictures.
Come on folks,I think a lot of us ned to take ourselves a lot less seriously. The overwhelming majority of the time someone says "nice camera" or "wow that camera takes great pictures" mean absolutely no harm. They are offering a compliment to your photography. They are not photographers and have no idea what goes into taking a beautiful photo. However the beautiful photo is the object to which they are reacting. Why would I ever be insulted when someone is complimenting my photography? simply say thank you. If the opportunity comes up to talk photography, show them some of what goes into the creative process but most just want to say "nice shot" without really knowing how to do it.

I also do a lot of woodworking (custom flintlock rifles). When someone says "that is a beautiful piece of wood" I don't go off saying "God made the wood I made the stock". Nope, I just say thank you I was happy with the way it turned out.

A little grace goes a long way. I know there are those here who disagree with me and that is fine also. We all have our own style and pet peeves.

Jeff
Well said Jeff.

You should read Jeff's post. You are exactly the kind of photographer he was referring to.

Not starting this thread to be overtly negative, I'm just genuinely interested in other photographers' experience and y'all are my favorite bunch I've found thus far. :love:

Does anyone ever compliment your photography by saying, "You must have an expensive camera," or "That looks great, what a nice camera?" This happened today to me, it's not the first time, but I was just very aware of how it made me feel.

These comments aren't meant to be mean, but I can't help but take it a little personally - I've shown you my art, you've indicated you like it, but you seem to think that the reason the picture looks nice is because I have an expensive camera. Maybe people believe that, or maybe they just don't think about photography like an art form.

I've never heard somebody say, "Wow that song was awesome, sounds like an expensive guitar!" Or, DaVinci must have used the absolute finest brushes, look how nice his paintings are. :LOL:

Makes me want to start shooting with a D40 and kit lens again.

It is just me?
I shoot for me and nobody else, so while that does happen...I don't pay it any mind whatsoever. If someone likes my images...great...bonus. My focus is trying to take a shot that doesn't look like every other technically proficient, well-composed shot out there...not easily accomplished. Fortunately...I enjoy the process more than the product.

I can't agree with your statement. Only you can make it darn hard over a trivial comment by someone. They are giving you a compliment, not a
put down or trying on purpose, to annoy you. Cheers!
No worries--I was thinkin about life in general, such as getting cut off in traffic or aggressively tailgated, but your point is a good one.

I get this all the time, and in fact, just this morning I got a message on one of my social media accounts with the closely-related question: I love all of the photos you post, what camera do you use? I’d like to be able to take similar photos.
My sister-in-law :love: made somewhat the same comment some time ago. I would never say it to her, but " Considering the source, it is both understandable and forgivable!"

I'm reminded of an old reportage that I heard back in the swinging seventies...

A very famous and somewhat notorious London photographer was invited to a high society dinner in Knightsbridge, on his arrival the hostess, a lady of high standing in the peerage welcomed him with "I just love your portraits, you must have a wonderful camera". He smiled politely and proceeded into the grand gala dinner with a hundred other guests. After six courses and numerous fine wines, as he was departing, and being farewelled by the Lord and Lady, he thanked them profusely for a splendid evening and added "And what a lovely meal, you must have a wonderful stove."

I have much to improve on with my Z6 ii. Several thousand images from now, maybe I will look at another camera. I am a happy camper right now. Ignorance is bliss. 😂
I agree, with my d500. It took me a year to decide to upgrade from my d90, 3 years ago, after retiring. I waited until I felt that I'd learned enough to justify getting a better camera. So glad I did and at some point I'll do so again to mirrorless. Being on a budget forces one to try getting the most of one's gear before moving on. Better glass came next.

As a wildlife photographer for over 50 years; someone whose photos have graced magazines (including covers) been used in annual reports, articles, on websites and sales brochures; now older and retired; and someone who usually uses aperture mode to shoot jpgs, I both resemble and resent your remarks. Sure there are lots of photographers who are new to the game that have too much money and not enough of either common sense, just plain brains or are jerks in everything they do, but they're not all like that, even if they are newcomers. For most outdoor activities COVID was the worst thing that's happened to those of us who've been long-term hikers, canoeists, bike riders, cross-country skiers, fishers and photographers -- government agencies, gear retailers and the medical professionals all urged folks to "get outdoors" for their own, often selfiish, reasons. But there was no accompanying education -- big mistake! The newcomers' purchases helped out the manufacturers and retailers, some will sell their gear (opportunities galore), some will stay and enjoy their new-found interest, others will just drift off into the sunset of their lives or adopt new interests.
If they’re enjoying their photography experience, isn’t that what matters?

We all have to start somewhere.

Cheers,

George

Back