Is it just me? Annoying praise...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

At first I agreed with the sentiment here, but the more I think about it, I'm not so sure. In my area the number of self-titled "wildlife photographers" increased exponentially during and after Covid. The vast majority of these are older retired or partially retired folks that were looking for something to do. They bought the best equipment they could afford. I meet these wildlife photographers all the time and am amazed at their complete lack of understanding of even basic photographic knowledge. They shoot on automatic, usually in P mode, with the more adventurous ones venturing into aperture or shutter priority occasionally. They don't understand why sometimes their images just don't "turn out". They shoot jpgs because they don't understand how to process raw or if they do, they use two adjustments, sharpening and saturation, turned way up. They have no respect for private property and will stalk wildlife until the stressed animal leaves the area.

May of these (to use Steve's term) innocently ignorant wildlife photographers own Z9s or the Sony or Cannon equivalent with the big glass. They do occasionally take a nice image, which only serves to reinforce their behavior and their elevated belief in their own skill level.

So maybe sometimes it is the nice camera or great lens that is responsible.

At first I agreed with the sentiment here, but the more I think about it, I'm not so sure. In my area the number of self-titled "wildlife photographers" increased exponentially during and after Covid. The vast majority of these are older retired or partially retired folks that were looking for something to do. They bought the best equipment they could afford. I meet these wildlife photographers all the time and am amazed at their complete lack of understanding of even basic photographic knowledge. They shoot on automatic, usually in P mode, with the more adventurous ones venturing into aperture or shutter priority occasionally. They don't understand why sometimes their images just don't "turn out". They shoot jpgs because they don't understand how to process raw or if they do, they use two adjustments, sharpening and saturation, turned way up. They have no respect for private property and will stalk wildlife until the stressed animal leaves the area.

May of these (to use Steve's term) innocently ignorant wildlife photographers own Z9s or the Sony or Cannon equivalent with the big glass. They do occasionally take a nice image, which only serves to reinforce their behavior and their elevated belief in their own skill level.

So maybe sometimes it is the nice camera or great lens that is responsible.
I actually wrote an article about that this awhile back and how it's everything - from gear, to technique, to artistry conspire to create great photos.

I actually wrote an article about that this awhile back and how it's everything - from gear, to technique, to artistry conspire to create great photos.

I have much to improve on with my Z6 ii. Several thousand images from now, maybe I will look at another camera. I am a happy camper right now. Ignorance is bliss. 😂

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Not saying they were "stupid", I think innocent ignorance is a better descriptor (but I wanted to give the exact quote above).

Also, I think this kind of compliment stems form people's experience with cameras. For most people, they notice an increase in quality each time they upgrade to a better camera. They start with a cheap point & shoot (or phone) and as they get better cameras, they notice they get better photos. They are unaware that there's a point of diminishing returns - and that's where art lives :)
Hanlon’s Razor applies to most of the First World politicians these days. No conspiracy theories, just stupid. I have used it many times over the last eight years.

Yeah, this person wasn't trying to hurt my feelings in the slightest. And only I can control my reactions to things. But my very first instinct is, "Oh, you think that's how this works eh?"

I took head+shoulders shots of some employees around our plant for a Christmas party, and I did the artsy thing with the 85mm f/1.4 lens shot wide open, big industrial bokeh balls everywhere. Not my usual thing but it worked out well and was a fun challenge. I edited up 45 photos and left print-size images in a folder for the person in HR coordinating the event.

"The pictures were amazing... That camera is great! 😊"

To Steve's point it is ignorance. She doesn't know if a D850 is a great camera, or that I used a lens manufactured in 1995 to get the shots.

Regardless, I am quite looking forward to seeing the work in print. :love:
Perhaps I am reading too much into it but my guess is that she may have equated your work with that of professionals she had dealt with in the past. In particular, she was remembering what she had to pay for that work and, assuming you did this as for free, she is extending a compliment by equating your work with what had to pay for previously.

I think some are taking this stuff way out of context. If someone says you have a nice camera they don't know any other way to complement you. They don't see your work so all they can do is complement your gear. Once a year there is a falconer meet in my area. I follow a group of them as they go to different places for the hunts. They see my gear and complement it. When I get a good shot of a falcon or hawk capturing its prey someone will ask me did I get it. When I do i show it to them on the back of the camera and it actually creates sales. Of course I also help them find the land that they hunt on and sometimes it is the land that i farm.

As a wildlife photographer and a cotton farmer, i engage those people that ask me about my camera and even show them some of the pictures. They will immediately add me to their social media and sometimes it generates sales.

I am currently doing a photo exhibit at the American Windmill Museum in Lubbock. I was setting up more printed photos when a guy came up to me. He reintroduced himself to me and said a couple of years ago and you showed me your camera and pictures. He told me he just came out to see my exhibit and promptly ordered a print.

I failed to mention that it takes absolutely no talent whatsoever to shoot 30+ captures in a second, by simply holding down the shutter button. Try that with your old Yashica or Pentax, etc. You simply can't.

We are not as good as we think we are, without the big toys. Give credit where credit is due. Technology has made everybody a much better photographer.

I failed to mention that it takes absolutely no talent whatsoever to shoot 30+ captures in a second, by simply holding down the shutter button. Try that with your old Yashica or Pentax, etc. You simply can't.

We are not as good as we think we are, without the big toys. Give credit where credit is due. Technology has made everybody a much better photographer.
True, but gear is only as good as to get out of your way of getting the shot you want. But i have seen PLENTY of people with top end gear Z9+600f4TC, A1+600f4GM and still can't get good shots either. There is still a lot of input needed from the 8 inches behind the camera to get the spot one envisions.

True, but gear is only as good as to get out of your way of getting the shot you want. But i have seen PLENTY of people with top end gear Z9+600f4TC, A1+600f4GM and still can't get good shots either. There is still a lot of input needed from the 8 inches behind the camera to get the spot one envisions.
Really? Maybe it's time for this person to trade in the camera gear for a set of golf clubs and lots of balls!

Really? Maybe it's time for this person to trade in the camera gear for a set of golf clubs and a lot of balls!
It's not just a person. There are many i see like this. But i concur, they should move on from photography..

But isn't that the same thing with needing a lot of golf balls? 😂 You can have all the best clubs/equipment, but still need to know how to use it

It's not just a person. There are many i see like this. But i concur, they should move on from photography..

But isn't that the same thing with needing a lot of golf balls? 😂 You can have all the best clubs/equipment, but still need to know how to use it
How true.

BTW, my favourite comment thrown my way occasionally is someone accuses me of Photoshopping. Initially, it bothered me but now I take that as a compliment.

Last edited:
How true.

BTW, my favourite comment thrown my way occasionally is when someone accuses me of Photoshopping. Initially it bothered me but now I take that as a compliment.
A friend had some lady accuse him of a fake shot of Eagles. One had rolled over in the air just missed taking locking talons and she accused him of Photoshopping the one Eagle saying that Eagles don't and can't fly upside down 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: seh
I was just thinking, you know, we're quick to poke a little fun at people who see our photo and mention we must have a nice camera, but how many times do we show our photos to another photographer and the first thing they ask is "What lens" or "What camera was that?" LOL :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Nobody is immune from it, but I think it's a learning thing for a lot of people.

More time out shooting and learning vs being a spec sheet warrior is what separates 'photographers' from people who take pictures imo.

Nobody is immune from it, but I think it's a learning thing for a lot of people.

More time out shooting and learning vs being a spec sheet warrior is what separates 'photographers' from people who take pictures imo.

I agree. I'm out shooting almost every day and I'm always tinkering with the camera and settings when I'm watching TV. That's why I sometimes only jump on the forums every few days.

I'm always finding new techniques and new ways to make things easier or better since i teach Z9 settings and techniques to people over the past 18 months or so.

What I find even more annoying is the many quips and retorts photographers think up that makes it seem like they are somehow superior to the poor schmo that was just trying to be friendly.

I agree. I'm out shooting almost every day and I'm always tinkering with the camera and settings when I'm watching TV. That's why I sometimes only jump on the forums every few days.

I'm always finding new techniques and new ways to make things easier or better since i teach Z9 settings and techniques to people over the past 18 months or so.

I wish I could get out and shoot more often, but my job, other real life obligations/hobbies, and the weather mean I only get out once or twice a week most of the time. But I value my weekend shooting time a lot.

I hear ya - I wish I was out more too. It's weird - when I'm at home, I'm lucky if I'm out every other week. However, I also spend about a third of the year traveling when I'm out multiple times a day. The biggest issue I have is that I'm a little rusty (slow) when I start a trip since I'm not out as much as I'd like.

Im very fortunate, there is not many days that I go by and not out shooting. I get out and drive around the farm everyday and generally see something I try to get images of. Sometimes there is more to see than others. Those times i expand and go further away from the farm to other favorite places like the oil lease. Not around people very much while doing this. When we are not busy on the farm the wife and I will take a day trip to different places in the area. Problem is that we are not there at the appropriate times.

My evenings are usually spent reading forums like this, editing photos or tinkering with the camera all while watching TV with the wife.

Back