Is it worth buying a used Nikon AFS Teleconverter TC-14E III?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello ,

I have never bought used lenses. I found a used Nikon AFS Teleconverter TC-14E III? in very good condition (mint) on a well known camera site. Is it worth it to buy used lenses? Has anyone of you already bought a used lens? I would like to have your opinion please. Thank you very much.

I have purchased a couple of used lenses through usedphotopro.com and they work well. They were as promised and are still in my bag of lenses I use regularly. One is an older discontinued model so used was the only option. So long as you are dealing with a reputable vendor, I do not see an issue. You can check on their "warranty" protection and return policies so you are covered if there is an issue.

I have purchased a couple of used lenses through usedphotopro.com and they work well. They were as promised and are still in my bag of lenses I use regularly. One is an older discontinued model so used was the only option. So long as you are dealing with a reputable vendor, I do not see an issue. You can check on their "warranty" protection and return policies so you are covered if there is an issue.
Ok thank you very much for advice .:)

Reactions: HRB
A teleconverter is one of the best items you could buy on a used basis. There are no focus motors or other moving parts. It has electronics, but it's really quite simple. Check for any scratches or fungus on the glass and then go ahead and use it.

One caution - the TC14E III has one fewer contact than the TC14E II, and that means it may not work with some lenses. The TC14E II teleconverter is cheaper and works just as well for most situations.

You're probably aware that not all lenses work with a teleconverter, and even those that physically fit may not work well if it means your resulting widest aperture is above f/8. You might need to stop down slightly for better performance. Normally you get better results with a teleconverter that matches the brand of a lens, so using a Sigma lens with a Nikon teleconverter might not be effective.

A teleconverter is one of the best items you could buy on a used basis. There are no focus motors or other moving parts. It has electronics, but it's really quite simple. Check for any scratches or fungus on the glass and then go ahead and use it.

One caution - the TC14E III has one fewer contact than the TC14E II, and that means it may not work with some lenses. The TC14E II teleconverter is cheaper and works just as well for most situations.

You're probably aware that not all lenses work with a teleconverter, and even those that physically fit may not work well if it means your resulting widest aperture is above f/8. You might need to stop down slightly for better performance. Normally you get better results with a teleconverter that matches the brand of a lens, so using a Sigma lens with a Nikon teleconverter might not be effective.
Oh great! I have Nikon 200-500mm and 70-200mm f.2,8. Thank you very much for your advice. :)

For my 200-500 I used a wimberley monogimbel (I blame @Steve ) which was brilliant. sold the lens when I went to the z6 but kept the monogimbel in anticipation of a nice long S lens 🙏

I bought my TC -14E III used from KEH recently. It simply isn't available new right now. The used price I paid was more than I would normally pay for used equipment, but it is in very good condition -- and, as Anselm said, "Existence is greater than nonexistence." If you buy from KEH, B&H, or Adorama (the only shops I have dealt with this way), you get a warranty for at least a few months that they will stand behind. FWIW

Oh great! I have Nikon 200-500mm and 70-200mm f.2,8. Thank you very much for your advice. :)
Just keep in mind that the TC will work well on the 200-500 only for relatively static subjects and with good light. It is not a good solution for BIF and other fast moving subjects - AF is simply too slow. The TC will work better on the 70-200 but, still, AF slows noticeably. I rarely use my TC anymore on anything other than prime lenses.

Just keep in mind that the TC will work well on the 200-500 only for relatively static subjects and with good light. It is not a good solution for BIF and other fast moving subjects - AF is simply too slow. The TC will work better on the 70-200 but, still, AF slows noticeably. I rarely use my TC anymore on anything other than prime lenses.
I don't take birds in flight at the moment. thank you very much :)

I recently purchased a used TC-14E III from usedphotopro.com because it was not available new.
I'm very happy and it was well worth it.
Super! I have been waiting for this new lens TC-14E III for a while (out of stock) so I decided to buy a used lens a used TC-14E III. thank you very much. :)

I bought a used one at 2/3 the regular price from Amazon (warehouse) and when I got it everything from packaging, manual and most important the converter itself, looked very much unused.

I purchased a used TC 1.4E III last last year and it’s a very nice addition to my 300mm PF Prime. The TC takes my D500 to 630mm @ f5.6. The 300mm and TC is a light weight combo on the D500 and I have used it often for BIF.

Last edited:
Do be aware that the way some vendors rate their equipment. "Mint" may actually be a number of steps down from things like "Like New", "Like New -", "Mint ++", etc. So Mint may actually be something like a C grade rather than an A grade. Make sure you have a trial period with a free return.

Good luck,

--Ken

Do be aware that the way some vendors rate their equipment. "Mint" may actually be a number of steps down from things like "Like New", "Like New -", "Mint ++", etc. So Mint may actually be something like a C grade rather than an A grade. Make sure you have a trial period with a free return.

Good luck,

--Ken
ok I'll find out about it. thank you very much. :)

@Mimi76 .. As Replytoken has stated , BEWARE that some sellers rate their gear as Mint ,,example of that would be mostly in China & Japan where they state Mint . however they have a totally different rating system than we do for used gear ,especially Lenses and Camera bodies , They have ,Mint - Mint + , Mint + + .. so their used Lens thats selling as Mint + may very well be of average condition Or B Grade, so Do tread carefully in that respect OR purchase from local dealers were its easier to return goods if they are not in the condition you expected ..

Having said that , in regards to Used gear , I have 9 lenses and only 1 was purchased brand New , the other 8 were purchased Used from various dealers/private sellers without any hassle and in fantastic condition at a fraction of the cost .. I`m more than happy to buy Used Lenses at way less than they would cost Brand New ... I`ve saved a small fortune doing this and will continue to buy used as most of the gear is way beyond what I could afford if I were buying it New..

Harry.G
PS ..I`ve never purchased Anything Used from China or Japan for the reasons stated above ^^^^^ ,, Im in the UK ....

I bought. A Sigma teleconverter. Along with a 150 to 600 lens. From Amazon.com. The TELECONVERTER was used. But the lens was new. I was very happy. The Teleconverter works great. It depends where you buy it from. CJ 5th wheel.

Yes,

I have bought that very item second hand, it's been perfect. I've also bought second hand lenses, flashguns and camera bodies. They've all been bought from WEXPHOTOGRAPHIC or LONDON CAMERA EXCHANGE. They're both reputable dealers in UK and I trust them both.

Back