Is it worth buying a used Nikon AFS Teleconverter TC-14E III?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

@Mimi76 .. As Replytoken has stated , BEWARE that some sellers rate their gear as Mint ,,example of that would be mostly in China & Japan where they state Mint . however they have a totally different rating system than we do for used gear ,especially Lenses and Camera bodies , They have ,Mint - Mint + , Mint + + .. so their used Lens thats selling as Mint + may very well be of average condition Or B Grade, so Do tread carefully in that respect OR purchase from local dealers were its easier to return goods if they are not in the condition you expected ..

Having said that , in regards to Used gear , I have 9 lenses and only 1 was purchased brand New , the other 8 were purchased Used from various dealers/private sellers without any hassle and in fantastic condition at a fraction of the cost .. I`m more than happy to buy Used Lenses at way less than they would cost Brand New ... I`ve saved a small fortune doing this and will continue to buy used as most of the gear is way beyond what I could afford if I were buying it New..

Harry.G
PS ..I`ve never purchased Anything Used from China or Japan for the reasons stated above ^^^^^ ,, Im in the UK ....
Ok , I will find out about it. thank you very much for your advice. :)

Yes,

I have bought that very item second hand, it's been perfect. I've also bought second hand lenses, flashguns and camera bodies. They've all been bought from WEXPHOTOGRAPHIC or LONDON CAMERA EXCHANGE. They're both reputable dealers in UK and I trust them both.
Ok, thank you very much.:)

Last edited:
How much money are you saving by purchasing this used TC instead of a new one? Say, if you're only saving $25 off of a new one, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Is it returnable? If not, I'd want to save even more to take a risk on it.

How much money are you saving by purchasing this used TC instead of a new one? Say, if you're only saving $25 off of a new one, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Is it returnable? If not, I'd want to save even more to take a risk on it.

New ones are nowhere to be found for now. Used prices are about the same as new ones plus or minus $100. There has been a huge spike in demand (and prices) now that most people realize how good these are on the 9.

New ones are nowhere to be found for now. Used prices are about the same as new ones plus or minus $100. There has been a huge spike in demand (and prices) now that most people realize how good these are on the 9.
Wow! So they are. I'll bet the new ones will have a price increase, soon.

Normally you get better results with a teleconverter that matches the brand of a lens, so using a Sigma lens with a Nikon teleconverter might not be effective.

worth mentioning that you cannot mount a Sigma (or Tamron), lens to a modern Nikon TC as the f-mount is modified, only certain Nikon lenses can mount. Compatibility list on the Nikon website.

Depends... In € i got my TC 1.4 used (but like new condition) for 350, while brand new price is over 500 (usually 520 but some shops show it as high as 700, and none have it in stock).
If you set an alert on some used gear websites it doesn't take long to find one at a good price.

Depends... In € i got my TC 1.4 used (but like new condition) for 350, while brand new price is over 500 (usually 520 but some shops show it as high as 700, and none have it in stock).
If you set an alert on some used gear websites it doesn't take long to find one at a good price.
Luckily the rental houses have plenty. So I'm renting for $10/day as needed until my store gets mine in.

There are a few people that abuse their lenses but the majority are used only a few days each month and are as good as new when the appear for sale. With the Z9 camera and my use of the 500mm PF and 600mm f/4E I will want to have my two F-mount teleconverters. The S-mount teleconverter require the use of S mount lenses, many that do not exist as with the 500mm and 600mm lenses.

The new S teleconverters work with only a very few S lenses at this time. With my AF-S 105mm VR macro lens I could use the TC-20 III teleconverter but this is not the case with the S version of the 105mm macro lens. This means for me holding onto my Nikon 200mm f/4 macro lens and a D850 camera as their is no similar S option.

Another shortcoming of the Nikon approach is the inability to stack teleconverters as one can do with the ones from Canon. A work around would be to use extension tubes but the ones from Nikon (unlike with Canon) lack electronics so lens performance is greatly compromised.

Last edited:
Hello ,

I have never bought used lenses. I found a used Nikon AFS Teleconverter TC-14E III? in very good condition (mint) on a well known camera site. Is it worth it to buy used lenses? Has anyone of you already bought a used lens? I would like to have your opinion please. Thank you very much.
I buy most of my lenses from EBay (Good return when faulty service)
A TC has few moving parts and should be a good buy SH
But you need to learn how to check out a lens as soon as it arrives
and never buy one with fungus...🦘

I buy most of my lenses from EBay (Good return when faulty service)
A TC has few moving parts and should be a good buy SH
But you need to learn how to check out a lens as soon as it arrives
and never buy one with fungus...🦘
I just bought a TC17E-II on ebay this week. I checked the post and the seller and felt good about everything. I still tested it the day I got it. I looked at it with bright lights for fungus, dirt, and any defects to the mechanisms (years ago bought a used DX lens and didn't see the crack in the plastic right away, $100 down the drain).
Took it into the backyard and tested it on my D780 with a 300mm PF. All looks good and I'm happy I got it for $175 from a nice seller. Sent him nice feedback and am anxious to use it on days when I don't want to lug around heavier lenses.
Best to All,
Vinny
PS: on my small budget it was an auction starting at $150 from a original owner. It also was ending in the middle of the day Sunday, not a prime time. Used they go for about $220, won this for basically $175 after taxes and shipping. Timing can be a factor in what auctions you watch, imho.

Last edited:
I have Nikon D7500. Next year I will buy D850 . thank you :)
The d7500 only has one focus sensor that can focus at f8 according to Nikon. You have 51 focus sensors 15 of which are cross type only the center focus sensor can focus at f8. So until you get your d850 and some large aperture lenses your teleconverter will be of limited use. I have the 2 version of the teleconverter you bought because it is compatible with more lenses and the sharpness is equivalent. I also have the sigma teleconverter of the same magnification. On a d500. Even with it a teleconverter on 5.6 lenses is a disappointment.

Back