Is the Nikon 600 f6.3 a full 600mm?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

And keeps the light down too…

listen, Nikon has already figured out how to brake the rules, look at the 400/4.5. And there are more.

I’m confident Nikon could figure out how to get more light in for a 95 diameter, or less weight in a 105 diameter.
Yeah-No (not a real word - 😜) but here is the thing.
It would not make sense for Nikon to look at the cost of the 600 F4 TC which is a highly desirable and very important lens for the brand, then decide to launch a 600 F5.6 PF. A 600 F6.3 is exactly the right lens in terms of the line up.
One of the problems that face any company is making a judgement about how much it costs to meet the break even price for a niche product like a lens. How many will they sell? How much are the fixed costs and variable costs, distribution and advertising costs? The balance of the line up of lenses is a vital part of the planning. There are always customers who want ‘more’ for even less. Like it or not the financial viability of the company has to come first.
Nikon offers a great range of telephoto lenses.

Thanks Steve! That’s what I wanted to know. I’m looking forward to seeing a comparison between that and other lenses. I’m interested to see how it compares to the Sony 200-600 optically. I’m looking at going either Z8 + 600 PF vs A1 + 200-600. So many tradeoffs to consider.

Thanks Steve! That’s what I wanted to know. I’m looking forward to seeing a comparison between that and other lenses. I’m interested to see how it compares to the Sony 200-600 optically. I’m looking at going either Z8 + 600 PF vs A1 + 200-600. So many tradeoffs to consider.
I have some videos coming out this week that will look at those things, but I can tell you now, based on my tests, the 600PF is better. It turns out my initial feelings about it being a "baby 600TC without the TC" were more spot-on than I imagined :)

Last edited:
I have some videos coming out this week that will look at those things, but I can tell you now, based on my tests, the 600PF is better. It turns out my initial feelings about it being a "baby 600TC without the TC" were more spot-on than I imagined :)
Interesting. Perhaps I should sell my 600 TC ... and live with the baby

Which is why I'll keep my 600 f/4 G until I can purchase the Z 600 w/TC without thinking twice about spending that money.
After seeing Steve’s new video comparing the 600TC vs. 600pf out of focus, I’m convinced that I want it.

The problem is, I know for a fact it will sit as dead weight at home. I need the freedom of handholding a lens, and the 600TC is dependent on support.

After seeing Steve’s new video comparing the 600TC vs. 600pf out of focus, I’m convinced that I want it.

The problem is, I know for a fact it will sit as dead weight at home. I need the freedom of handholding a lens, and the 600TC is dependent on support.
I'm usually able to support a heavier camera & lens combination with either a monopod or tripod. Even when doing so causes inconvenience, like when I shoot sports events, the increase in the number of acceptable images makes the inconvenience worth it.

I'm usually able to support a heavier camera & lens combination with either a monopod or tripod. Even when doing so causes inconvenience, like when I shoot sports events, the increase in the number of acceptable images makes the inconvenience worth it.
Sports and events is more tripod friendly vs. birds flying, handheld in every possible position where a tripod is a clumsy object to shlep along. My 2 cents.

Fact is the 400/4.5 isn’t a 400mm long barrel, and it’s lighter and sharper then expected without a PF element inside.

My point is, Nikon knows some tricks to overcome challenges. Therefore I’m not convinced for 100% that they couldn’t pull off f/5.6 while still being lightweight and compact.

Regarding 5.6 vs. 6.3, it IS a difference when the sun goes down when all the action happens, and the ISO climbs up. 6400 vs. 8000. I don’t agree that its negligible in real world.

I’m still loving the lens! I just like to put things in perspective. 😀
So you really think that the length of a lens reflects the number of mm it states?
The front element is the simple formula of focal length / max aperture opening. In case of the mentioned 400 f/4.5 is that 89mm and is the front lens 95mm.
Back to the 600mm f/6.3 is that slightly over 95mm but is the front element usually the one acting "only" as a protection, coated by the way.

Hope this can help why it was stated you can't change the laws of physics ;)

front element usually the one acting "only" as a protection,

Very interesting information.
Basically a built in protection filter, and it’s not part of the optical formula?

Is it possible to handhold a 600TC like I’m doing with the 800pf?
I pic taken by a friend walking by.
IMG_7647.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It is not a big deal. F/6.3 allows the front element to accept 95mm filters. Plus every f step increases the maximum diameter of the aperture by a factor of 2 which mean that the weight of the lens goes up (from 1.47 KG for the f/6.3 to 3.26 KG for the F/4 TC or a factor 2.22 - I know a lot of factors beside max aperture come into play - PF vs non-PF, built in TC vs none, ...).

Bottom line the 1/3 stop difference allows a standard filter size and keeps the weight down
I found this.
600/5.6 is actually possible?
I’m not so good in trading diagrams.

Post in thread 'After the 600 TC arrived, if you had an 800 PF, did you sell it?'
https://bcgforums.com/threads/after...d-an-800-pf-did-you-sell-it.25135/post-282985

I found this.
600/5.6 is actually possible?
I’m not so good in trading diagrams.

Post in thread 'After the 600 TC arrived, if you had an 800 PF, did you sell it?'
https://bcgforums.com/threads/after...d-an-800-pf-did-you-sell-it.25135/post-282985
If 600mm f/4 is possible so is a f/5.6 :) The front element will therefore increase in size and as explained will weight go up.
The front element will need to be 108mm and is thus bigger than any standard protection filter out there.
The f/4 teles out there work with drop-in filters but obviously contributing to an increase is length and is that not good for a PF lens.

front element usually the one acting "only" as a protection,

Very interesting information.
Basically a built in protection filter, and it’s not part of the optical formula?
Joel, if light passes through the glass, it is part of the optical formula. It's effects may be miniscule, or not, but its effects must be accounted for by the optical designers.

If you own a lens with an internal filter mount, you'll likely find a notice in the lens manual/brochure that says there must be some filter in the mount for optimal optical performance.

Sports and events is more tripod friendly vs. birds flying, handheld in every possible position where a tripod is a clumsy object to shlep along. My 2 cents.
Even though a "burden" to carry along, I nearly always take a tripod with me. I've had far more experiences where I didn't have one and wished I did than instances where I had one and wished I didn't. To make it easier to "carry", I use a converted baby jogger to move my heavy and/or cumbersome gear out on trails.

Last edited:
View attachment 73555

No one can really say whether someone else can handle or not handle a physical task.
I can only say that I handhold and do just as in your photo my 600 f/4 GM 98% of the time I'm shooting.
I only use a tripod or monopod when I'm planting myself in the middle of a field for 5hrs straight to shoot short-eared owls and have no plans to move.

I thought you’re always using a tripod or monopod
I often do - but not quite as much in the past. Between better VR, lighter lenses, and even faster frame rates, I can often hand-hold in situations where I would want a tripod in the past. I still prefer them if I can though. Sometimes it's not even about slow shutter speeds - sometimes I'm shooting an active area and will be setup for hours and I don't' want to hand-hold the entire the time :)

Nikon's engineers probably considered many options, including use of fluorite elements to reduce weight with or without Phase Fresnel. FL elements have a history of adding an extra digit to the final price of a super telephoto.
A f5.6 600mm lens must be 107.1mm wide versus 95.2mm for f6.3, which allowed for significant savings of a lighter lens barrel.
Overall, albeit guessing at these tradeoffs.... the engineers prioritized minimum weight, relatively affordable, but S Line quality. So it seems this 600 PF is positioned primarily to complement Nikon's very successful 800 f6.3S PF.
A f4.5 or f5.6 or f8 or f9 telephoto - equally a f6.3 - focuses seamlessly on the world-leading MILC Autofocus systems (the AF limit = f22). For those tricky I.D. images, as an example...this is when birders will find it useful to extend this compact 600 f6.3 to 1200mm f13 (ZTC2) or 840mm f9 (ZTC14).
The f5.6 versus f6.3 - the f8 threshold especially - is a mind-worm propagated by the penalties of DSLR Autofocus systems: with their inherent constraints on available AF points even in the most modern D6. As we know, mirrorless leaves this behind....
Yup well said !

I used to have a D500, D850 and D6 and I had 200-500 f/5.6, 500 pf f/5.6, 600 f/4. Now I have 2 Z9's. To me the Z9 is all 3 of my DSLR's in one.

Z800 f/6.3 on one and Z180-600 f/6.3 on the other. As I and others have said repeatedly f5.6 to f6.3 in the real world is no material difference. F/4 of the 600 f/4E was a real world difference over 150-600 f/6.3 but logistically a pain and no flexibility but I did really like that lens. But for this bird ID guy when Z9 and Z800 f/6.3 came along the D6 and 600 f/4 E went away. And now the Z180-600 gives me the flexible variable focal length lens I have always found useful (Tamron 150-600 G2, Sigma 150 and 60 - 600 sports).

My biggest low light need is indoors photographing people with no supplemental light allowed and I just got the new Z mount Tamron 35-150 f/2.-f/2.8 and it really takes advantage of the Z9 capabilities 😎

View attachment 73555
I hand held a 600 f/4E all the time. A heavy weight forward lens has more stability than a whippy light lens say a 400 f4.5 one reason target rifles have bull barrels.

I found the length and overall size of the 600 f/4E to be as equal a losistics challenge as the weight. The Z800 PF = never missing the 600 f/4E even with that f/4 real world light advantage ... F/4 is far less of an advantage for me now with my Z9 than it was with the D850 or even the D6.

Back