Is this over-sharpened?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Does this look "crunchy" to anyone? This image was converted from RAW to TIFF in DXO Pure Raw, processed in PS (background darkened slightly, bird and perch brightened slightly), cropped slightly from R and bottom. Then, after flattening, I ran it through DeNoise AI on Low Light. I know, using two noise removal soft ware programs is not recommended, but I have found in the past that when I process many of my images, I end up introducing some subtle grain/noise and running DeNoise before converting to JPEG has helped. However, since the last upgrade of DeNoise I am getting some over sharpening. I have manually reduced the sharpening component but I still get this "crunchy" look to the feathers. Am I over reacting?
Northern-Mockingbird--Battiste-B&B.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Looks good to me. Nice and crispy, with a lot of pop and subject separation from the background.

As an aside, did you use the global lens sharpening option in DXO Pure RAW? I disabled it as it tended to produce some funky looking sharpness on some images and I like the images more without it.

Looks good to me. Nice and crispy, with a lot of pop and subject separation from the background.

As an aside, did you use the global lens sharpening option in DXO Pure RAW? I disabled it as it tended to produce some funky looking sharpness on some images and I like the images more without it.
Thank you. Yes, I have activated the global lens sharpening. Never thought about that. I will try some images with that unticked. Thanks for that info.

I don't really see it as being over sharpened. I am rather struck by the fact that the berries, leaves and bird are all sharp though. I never seem to get that kind of depth of field. It's almost like the image has too much pop (if there is such a thing). The berries and leaves seem to pull my eye from the bird. Not meaning to be critical here. Just my first impressions. I still have a lot to learn about photography and post processing.

If you did go "over the line", it is only by just a tiny bit. I have seen far worse and not too much better, but some of the feathers near the rear do look possibly like they could stand just a tiny bit less sharpening. But I am only being picky since you asked. If I just saw the image without your post, I probably would not have noticed.

--Ken

I don't really see it as being over sharpened. I am rather struck by the fact that the berries, leaves and bird are all sharp though. I never seem to get that kind of depth of field. It's almost like the image has too much pop (if there is such a thing). The berries and leaves seem to pull my eye from the bird. Not meaning to be critical here. Just my first impressions. I still have a lot to learn about photography and post processing.
Thank you for your thoughts. I have to admit: I cheated. I placed the Pyrocantha berries hanging from a pole. I calculated the DOF at 8" (f/8.0, 400 mm, distance of 25') and placed the perch, berries and where I thought the bird might come from within that DOF (spot focus was on the bird's eye).

Beautiful image! Stunning image....viewed at this size. At this size, one can't really tell if it is over sharpened or not. YOU need to enlarge it and get it where YOU are happy with it!

Looks fine on my tablet. A little halo on the head if you squint but not distracting.

Beautiful image! Stunning image....viewed at this size. At this size, one can't really tell if it is over sharpened or not. YOU need to enlarge it and get it where YOU are happy with it!
Thank you for kind words. 99% of my keeper images never make if off my computer screen so I sometimes feel ignorant about the degree of sharpening I use. I tend to let the "auto" function of the different programs make the decisions.

Back