Is this too yellow?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

These sparrows (immature White-crowns and Gold-crown) were waiting for the sun to rise on a very cold Oregon dawn. The image was taken only a few minutes after the sun came over the horizon; hence the yellow color cast. I left the WB as shot because it portrayed my feelings and thoughts about that morning. Shot with a Canon 5D4, a 500mm f/4.0 from a pop up blind in Cabin Lake, Oregon. Cropped from L and bottom and a distracting OOF branch was cloned out from the middle.
Is it too yellow for you?
Waiting-for-the-sun.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I think this one comes down to personal taste. I think the yellow colour enhances the feel that this was indeed shot during sunrise. I personally like that.

I'd say too yellow, yes. There is an overall cast. If using Lightroom maybe fix the white balance but then use the color grading module to work on the yellows in the highlights.

These sparrows (immature White-crowns and Gold-crown) were waiting for the sun to rise on a very cold Oregon dawn. The image was taken only a few minutes after the sun came over the horizon; hence the yellow color cast. I left the WB as shot because it portrayed my feelings and thoughts about that morning. Shot with a Canon 5D4, a 500mm f/4.0 from a pop up blind in Cabin Lake, Oregon. Cropped from L and bottom and a distracting OOF branch was cloned out from the middle.
View attachment 57456
👍👍👍Classic Golden Hour shot

View attachment 57456
I am a great believer in "the picture should look as you saw the scene at the time". If the light was like that, then I believe that is how you should show the image (unless you have a different plan, of course!)

View attachment 57456
Yes. I usually keep the sunset/rise colors the same, but this one is way to yellow for me. I would keep a slight yellow cast but remove the rest of it.

Seeing what the camera captured is somewhat dependent on what raw converter software you use, so you might as well go with what you want, or what you believe that you saw. I guess you could reprocess the image with some changes and see what folks prefer, FWIW. I like the image, but if I shot it and was processing it, I am not sure how it would end up. But for my taste, I like the warmth of it, as it feels like what I would imagine good morning light looking like. Unfortunately we do not get that much good morning light as we have a lot of morning overcast during much of the year.

--Ken

Depends…if this is golden hour or you prefer that light color…it’s just fine. For me though…and it’s an entirely subjective thinot…I would cool the temp off a bit to reduce it…but it’s a good shot as is and if you like it…that’s what counts

Seeing what the camera captured is somewhat dependent on what raw converter software you use, so you might as well go with what you want, or what you believe that you saw. I guess you could reprocess the image with some changes and see what folks prefer, FWIW. I like the image, but if I shot it and was processing it, I am not sure how it would end up. But for my taste, I like the warmth of it, as it feels like what I would imagine good morning light looking like. Unfortunately we do not get that much good morning light as we have a lot of morning overcast during much of the year.

--Ken
I think that the very cold temperature that morning affected my memory. The sun coming up was very welcome, both by me and by the birds. They sat there for a few minutes all puffed up and then after they warmed up (I am assuming) off they went.

Back