Is this wildlife photography or not?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm not sure that I understand the line that's crossed from one of these to the other. Is it wild grown bait versus farm raised? In other words if you trap wild mice is it then OK to bait the owls? But it would be off limits to bait bears as many hunters do with "ripened" store bought poultry rather than killing a beaver?

Good questions and not always black and white in my mind (and hence subject to change based on dialog with others who share different perspectives).

The risk with store raised is not the baiting - it is the risk of introducing diseases not present in the natural ecosystem. So from that perspective only, wild mice would I guess present a much lower risk. I still wouldn't bait owls - their populations are more often at risk than not so I'd be afraid to unknowingly tip the scale the wrong way.

I am not sure that attracting bears with ripened poultry (instead of beaver) would present any more risk to the bear population if done with moderation but that's something I have never looked into to have a definitive opinion. The key to me is again that any of these activities need to be infrequent enough so as not to change the behavior of the animals.
Obviously the biggest challenge is that it needs to be infrequent not on my scale but on the scale of the photographer population - in the case of the beavers an black bears, I know there were maybe 2 to 3 photographers a year in that area but I wouldn't do that in the Smokey Mountain National Park - so I guess yes, lots of grey zones.

First, PLEASE, I'm begging anyone who replies to this thread, please keep it civil. This can be a great discussion but one that can easily go off the rails. As you know, as soon as it does I'll lock the thread.

Also, keep in mind this isn't a black and what topic - there is a LOT of gray area. After all, most of us wouldn't have a problem with someone photographing songbirds at a feeder, but most of us would balk at the idea of baiting owls.

Let's make this a productive discussion :)
Steve, Glad to see your getting your Mojo back!😜

The challenge with this topic is that most wildlife photographers have some line that they won't cross. It's different for everyone and most of us probably can't even articulate where that line is. But we probably "know it when we see it". Let's use one of my favorite subjects, Bald Eagles, as an example. Below are various ways/locations that I'm aware of where people take photos of eagles.

Which of the following crosses someone's invisible line? Just respond with the numbers of those that would NOT be acceptable. If you feel compelled feel free to explain why.

1. On a tour boat cruise the captain approaches an eagle perched on a tree/rock/block of ice so passengers can get a shot. Legitimate static eagle shot?
2. The above eagle flushes and you get an awesome shot just as it jumps. Hey you weren't driving. Fair game?
3. There are dozens of eagles hanging around the city dump of every coastal town in Alaska. Free and easy access. Fair game?
4. Eagles tend to hang around unnatural concentrations of fish caused by dams, fish ladders, hatcheries, etc. Fair game?
5. You go on a photography workshop in SE Alaska to shoot whales bubble netting herring. The workshop leader asks the boat captain to stop beside a purse seine boat that's hauling in its net. There are dozens of eagles circling and diving on the mass of fish trapped in the nets. Fair game?
6. The same herring caught in SE Alaska are now frozen and sold as fish bait. You go out on a boat during a workshop in Homer, AK to shoot seabirds around the Gull Rocks. The deckhand pulls out a box of frozen herring and starts throwing them in the water. Within minutes there are dozens of eagles circling/diving. Fair game?
7. Anyplace in Alaska where fisherman congregate to clean their catch eagles hang out. There a several sitting on pilings and well habituated such that you can easily get full frame portraits of them. Fair game?
8. At the same cleaning station as above some guy starts throwing fish scraps and there are some awesome aerial battles going on as the eagles fight for them. Fair game?
9. You legally catch a fish in a stream where eagles are hanging out. You fillet the fish, throw the head/carcass on a rock, and sit nearby with a camera. Fair game?
10. You're on an RV trip in Alaska. Your wife lets her chihuahua out for a pee break and an eagle swoops down to grab it. Do you grab your camera or try to save the dog?

I have no issue with blind photography. I am very reluctant to bait other than my bird feeder where the species I attract are more common than the people in my village and are entirely neighbourhood dwellers adapted to civilization... I'll never get a bald eagle on my feeder (although I am really hoping :) )

I guess my point of view is that blinds , when done properly, are designed to avoid changing the animal's behaviour and to avoid inducing stress in the animals while baiting does change the animal behaviour to some degree and is, in fact, intended to change the animal's behaviour by its very nature. I agree that baiting once or rarely is probably no big deal and it may even be part of a legitimate conservation effort. But it then raises the question as how often? Even if one person does not do it often, who is there to stop all other people from doing it and who is there to decide when to stop and what is appropriate and what is no longer acceptable... I would still call it wildlife photography but I think it should come with a disclaimer "baited" or other qualifier that indicates the animal was purposefully attracted... if your mother in law's chihuahua gets taken by an eagle, I think it is fair game ;)
just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I would ignore what others want to label as legitimate "wildlife photography". As long as the process used is legal then IMO it's OK. For me it's about the image whether taken in a good zoo, a blind in a local park or my backyard, or in remote backwoods after a long arduous trek over mountains and raging streams.

There's a tendency by some to unknowingly use Anthropomorphism in human relations with animals/wildlife. It clouds the realities of the raw brutal existence of wild critters. An occasional easy meal from legal baiting in exchange for photo ops isn't going to cause species extinction.

Last edited:
This is really a difficult area to define, but I believe we all have a line we don’t think should be crossed. That line differs for each of us because of many factors, including where we live, our past experiences and observations, and maybe even how old we are. The most important thing for us is that we set a good example and we constantly evaluate our impact on wildlife and the environment.

I will touch the 3rd rail and give you all my opinion lol.

I think if the animal is free to come and go it is wildlife unlike a zoo. If you lure the animal so you can photograph them but not capturing them I don't see any issue doing this. (I will add this * to my comment about luring them, if you lure them with say food but the animal is hurt by this action such as bears getting into peoples trash, camps etc. and the animal either gets used to humans or endangers them then yes you are doing something wrong.) The animal is receiving a reward which is likely food and or water. If you use a blind to get close I see no problem with this either. Now if you tie a wild animal to a tree so you can take a pic sure that is a major line that shouldn't get crossed.

I do think most commonly birds can be safely photographed by placing seed in key areas that will make a great photo. I wouldn't put a dead or live animal out to lure a predator to take a picture. But if I put a scent out or say honey on a tree to attract an animal I am ok with that. Hanging a chicken from a tree well that is a different story.

If someone wants to shoot at a zoo I am fine with that as well. I have gone to a zoo to try out some new gear before venturing out in the wild. I have not however taken a pic at a zoo and tried to play it off that I was on safari in Africa.

At the end of the day the sausage making isn't as important as the art of photography. Showing the animal in all of its majestic glory for those who could not see it in person for themselves.

The no animals were injured in making this pic is the important part.

Is this wildlife photography?

p2732751176-5.jpg

Is this wildlife photography?

p2732751176-5.jpg
No. They're using Canon equipment! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

Threads like this remind me of how good so much of modern humanity has it.

My definition of wildlife has to do with whether it has been domesticated or not. Even in a zoo, a lion can still be a wild animal. If you take a photo of one in that situation, I don't mind. Where I would have an issue is if you attempted to portray the shot as from other than a zoo. I don't care what the point of view is, we could find a lawyer to argue for and against every single situation where this might be an issue.

Just don't mis-represent your photos or harm your subject and enjoy the experience of getting the shot.

The challenge with this topic is that most wildlife photographers have some line that they won't cross. It's different for everyone and most of us probably can't even articulate where that line is. But we probably "know it when we see it". Let's use one of my favorite subjects, Bald Eagles, as an example. Below are various ways/locations that I'm aware of where people take photos of eagles.

Which of the following crosses someone's invisible line? Just respond with the numbers of those that would NOT be acceptable. If you feel compelled feel free to explain why.

1. On a tour boat cruise the captain approaches an eagle perched on a tree/rock/block of ice so passengers can get a shot. Legitimate static eagle shot?
2. The above eagle flushes and you get an awesome shot just as it jumps. Hey you weren't driving. Fair game?
3. There are dozens of eagles hanging around the city dump of every coastal town in Alaska. Free and easy access. Fair game?
4. Eagles tend to hang around unnatural concentrations of fish caused by dams, fish ladders, hatcheries, etc. Fair game?
5. You go on a photography workshop in SE Alaska to shoot whales bubble netting herring. The workshop leader asks the boat captain to stop beside a purse seine boat that's hauling in its net. There are dozens of eagles circling and diving on the mass of fish trapped in the nets. Fair game?
6. The same herring caught in SE Alaska are now frozen and sold as fish bait. You go out on a boat during a workshop in Homer, AK to shoot seabirds around the Gull Rocks. The deckhand pulls out a box of frozen herring and starts throwing them in the water. Within minutes there are dozens of eagles circling/diving. Fair game?
7. Anyplace in Alaska where fisherman congregate to clean their catch eagles hang out. There a several sitting on pilings and well habituated such that you can easily get full frame portraits of them. Fair game?
8. At the same cleaning station as above some guy starts throwing fish scraps and there are some awesome aerial battles going on as the eagles fight for them. Fair game?
9. You legally catch a fish in a stream where eagles are hanging out. You fillet the fish, throw the head/carcass on a rock, and sit nearby with a camera. Fair game?
10. You're on an RV trip in Alaska. Your wife lets her chihuahua out for a pee break and an eagle swoops down to grab it. Do you grab your camera or try to save the dog?

Lol, I was reading through this thread, and it is an interesting topic. I did like idea of @NorthernFocus put forth, so here is my reply to that:

#6 is where I draw the line for my photography. To me it is just taking the "sport" or "fun" out of it. I don't hunt (take photos instead), but I feel it is the same when you bait a deer for example. People now a days are so focused to getting to the end result the fastest way they can. In reality, the journey is the best part and makes the best stories. If one slows down while on their way to the goal, they are likely to see many opportunities for maybe even better images of something they never thought of. For myself, It is more about relaxing and exploring than "I have to get that one shot and I will do anything to get it or I will never be happy."

With that said, I do go and shoot at Zoos but I don't go around and advertise everything I shoot is "wildlife" nor will I try to pass it off as being taken in the wild. That would be lying. I use the opportunity to practice my composition and framing. It is a challenge. How many times has this animal been photographed? How can I make it look different than every other photograph out there? The best part is when people find out the photo was taken at the Zoo.

Stranger: "Oh wow....where did you take that photo?"
Myself: "It was just at the local zoo. I had some extra time and wanted to get out for a little bit."
Stranger: "That is a great photo, would have never guessed it was at a zoo."

If I don't get the reaction, I know I didn't take the photo correctly. Then later, when I am in the "wild," I now can hopefully use the same methods to find an even better image.

As for #10, it wasn't baited but took advantage of the opportunity. So if the Eagle has it, don't think there is a chance of it being saved.....so up comes the camera. :LOL:

Of course these are my opinions and it is not my place to tell anyone else they are doing anything wrong. As long as it doesn't hurt the animal or cause any harm in the long run, to each their own.

"While there is some concern that pet-store mice may pass pathogens or parasites to wild owls, the biggest reason not to feed wild owls is how quickly they can become habituated to humans. Many northern species of owls have little natural fear of people to begin with, and feeding them can quickly cause them to associate humans and food. This can bring them dangerously close to people who may harm them, especially when they leave their wintering grounds and begin migrating back north."

This is from an Audubon article on baiting owls for photography and it's center of why I see a difference between attracting wild birds with feeders and providing new hunting grounds for predatory birds. From getting struck by passing trucks to swapping territories for some place where the baited supply suddenly dries up, my mantra has always been not to interfere with their natural behavior. We've done enough in certain areas where even the "wild" food supply has been tainted by pesticides or poisons put down that we see far too many nesting failures. There's no reason to exacerbate the problem by purposefully altering the feeding behavior of others.

For me wildlife photography is about celebrating "wild life" before it is about getting that perfect photo. I want to disrupt my subject as little as possible. It's like the mantra for photographing abandoned places, "Take only photos, leave only footprints". That doesn't mean I'm against temporary blinds or other devices that allow you to get close without being seen - provided they are are indeed temporary (boulder moving is acceptable as well - as long as you put it back in its original location LOL).

I've lived for 29 years in a suburban neighborhood on half an acre backed to 40 acres of undeveloped land. Our "wildlife" is truly wild, but is surrounded by humanity. We have Foxes calling back there all the time. Hawks, eagles, owls, and other water birds fly in and over thanks to a stream 1/10 mile away. We leave dead trees along the back up to provide for woodpeckers and after 25 years of waiting finally had a nesting pair of Northern Flickers settle in last May. I didn't construct a blind, but I did stick a D500 with a 150-600mm on a tripod that I placed in an appropriate position which I wrapped in a t-shirt to dull the shutter sound and triggered remotely from my deck. Is that "wildlife photography"? If that requires carrying all your gear on your back and walking miles through rough conditions, maybe not. But for me it is photographing wildlife, and I'm thankful to do it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I understand the line that's crossed from one of these to the other. Is it wild grown bait versus farm raised? In other words if you trap wild mice is it then OK to bait the owls? But it would be off limits to bait bears as many hunters do with "ripened" store bought poultry rather than killing a beaver?
I brought up the store bough live mice because was something I've seen personally. I don't want to get "baited" (pun intended) into the debate of is is OK to bait owls. I don't do it and it goes against my personal "how badly do I need the shot" line. My comment regarding the store bought live mice tied to strings is the practice carries some significant risks 1) introducing disease to local wild rodent populations, 2) introducing feral domestic rodents into the wild population (think feral hogs, starlings, European house sparrows, kudzu, pear trees, amor honeysuckle, etc. in the US for example), and potentially disease to the owls or other predators who feed upon them. Yes, I have seen this thing with live domestic mice being used. It seems to be a practice among more than one "Photo workshop" leader. If it is legal where they are doing it, so be it. Who am I to stop them. I, personally, think the risk outweigh the rewards.

Putting festering processed chicken in a barrel to attract bears probably does carry less risk of introducing disease or invasive species to the wild population however I have not given that very much thought and don't want to make much more of a comment.

Last edited:
Some more links on Ethical Photography

Passive Photography - all else is inexcusable http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/photography_ethics.html

#1 >> #4 grey areas. All animals have a circle of comfort/threat. It is imperative to respect this especially when the photographer makes the conscious decision to approach the subject directly. If it's a guide decidng to drive a vehicle closer they are beholden to follow and police the principles of Passive Photography. Otherwise, I would condemn them to relevant association/employer and in feedback etc

#5 - # = Red Zone - This is heading into the realm of negative behaviour, which these attention-seeking clowns and after monies) have been justly condemned for

The following perpetrator has been singled out by Pro Guides Association, and reported to Zimbabwe National Parks for breaking national laws, which are to be treated with respect (it should need to be stated the prisons in that country are to be avoided):

You should be able to see the the incidents condemned on Mana Pools fbook page. Subsequent follow up revealed one of the charging lionesses photography was claimed by Pro Hunter to have actually been shot dead after being provoked

I was hesitating to write something here, because I agree with @NorthernFocus. This I almost like discussing religion, politics a.s.o.
IMHO the pragmatic approach of @Tiago Cardoso should be the first way to look at it.
Where do you draw the red line ? I think it is complicated ...

To me, as long as animals live their own life in a world that is more and more influenced - or should I say occupied and destroyed - by us humans they are wildlife, being it
  • the deer, foxes and owls living in the abandonned area around Tschernobyl,
  • the wolves living on abandonned military training grounds, using the shade under a tank wrack in summer,
  • an eagle feeding from a wild pig that died on the road going through a national park and that the rangers relocated to avoid that other animals learn to "use" the road as a food source combined with the much higher risk of getting killed themselves,
  • a cormoran colony that has been founded in an area where humans breed fish,
  • a pine marten chasing squirrels in a park,
  • a falcon feeding its chicks in a niche on a church tower,
  • deer or elk using one of the green bridges across motorways that we have here in many countries,
  • little birds livng free but deciding to choose my garden as their home territory,
  • parrots living free around a city near river Rhine for decades now, that would never live there unless they had escaped from human captivity,
Taking photos in this kind of scenario to me is still wildlife photography, providing you still put priority on not disturbing or otherwise impacting the animals to the negative.

I would even include feeding locations in this list, as long as there is priority set on keeping the impact on the natural behaviour of the animal to a minimum and providing a chance to people to actually see and enjoy "wildlife" as part of the stragegy to raising awareness about the necessity to protect the environment and making it obvious to people that there are things around them being worhtwhile to be protected even if you don't see it under normal day to day life conditions. (--> see statements regarding info locations, blinds including walkways for "crowd control")

Why ?

Because it is important that the people who have the opportunity and the necessary knowledge do something to enable other people to learn about the hidden part of their environment.

My little "de facto grandson" is a ball of energy and living in a big city with parents working in media and IT. But the chance to spend time with me and my girl friend at her place (his grandmother including own big garden and adjacent private forest) he became very aware of all the life around him. Part of his sighting were because of feeding. But he enjoys already sitting still patiently and sometimes even camouflaged in the buhes with me and wait for whatever comes along. Beside learning new words in our language he started to "speak squirrel" the other day, trying to imitate their "language" after whitnessing a meeting to resolve a conflict around some particularly delicious snacks (dried plumbs from the garden). Now, even at home he changed his behaviour, spending time for watching the life in the big trees in the backyard and emphasizing his parents to go out and head to the green zones where there's "wildlife" in the cities.

A negative example I use in this respect is a guy making a living of carrying boatloads of people on a lake and attracting a sea eagle by throwing dead eels in the water, so that they can take photos of "the national bird". Why ?
  • The whole thing causes far more damage and panic among all the other animals around the scene on the lake than it brings contribution and learning effect on the people's side
  • The people - if they learn anything - learn wrong things about the way you should behave in nature and they get a wrong and unnatural image - in mind and on SD card - about a sea eagle, because normally the chance of a sea eagle feeding on eel here is de facto zero and the only chance for the eagle to grab it, is if he is already waiting for the boat to come and reacts to acoustic signals like Flipper (Because eels have no swim bladder they would be gone within seconds, if the eagle was not there alreeady).
  • This eagle has become a business slave of a human, just like dancing bears in the past centuries.
By the way, zoos may be not the best place to take wildlife photos, but for many people they are the first step back to awareness and some people that are a good wildlife photographer today may have started their career in a zoo decades ago.

We can discuss this for eternity, but if everyone, especially people like us spend a little time on reflecting why we would do certain things and then reject the ideas that turn out to have more negative impact than positive effects - not for us, but foremost for nature and for raising awareness around us for nature - then this goes in a good direction.

To me nature photography is a privilege, a pleasure and a passion. Yes, I would lie if I said I am not ambitious to get good shots, but not as part of a rat race for the number of species, the closest close-up of ..., the sharpest action scene of ..., the most papparazzi-ish photo of ...

I wish all of you the extra handful of extra light in the pocket and the luck to be at the right place at the right time and the time to allow for the patience to get a shot in the moment that is right for "the model" first, and then for you.

Some more links on Ethical Photography

Passive Photography - all else is inexcusable http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/photography_ethics.html

#1 >> #4 grey areas. All animals have a circle of comfort/threat. It is imperative to respect this especially when the photographer makes the conscious decision to approach the subject directly. If it's a guide decidng to drive a vehicle closer they are beholden to follow and police the principles of Passive Photography. Otherwise, I would condemn them to relevant association/employer and in feedback etc

#5 - # = Red Zone - This is heading into the realm of negative behaviour, which these attention-seeking clowns and after monies) have been justly condemned for

The following perpetrator has been singled out by Pro Guides Association, and reported to Zimbabwe National Parks for breaking national laws, which are to be treated with respect (it should need to be stated the prisons in that country are to be avoided):

You should be able to see the the incidents condemned on Mana Pools fbook page. Subsequent follow up revealed one of the charging lionesses photography was claimed by Pro Hunter to have actually been shot dead after being provoked

Great collection, thanks for this one (y)

For me, as with others here, the question is more to do with the welfare of the wildlife. In my part of the UK, there is a problem with some photographers aggressively pursuing some species, especially at nesting time. It is illegal to disturb birds at the nest but going to and fro with food? Not so easily defined and I have photographed birds from a hide in this situation on the 'flight path' but not near the nest. This did not disturb them at all as far as I could see. If I had detected any change in behaviour or signs of disturbance, I would have stopped immediately.

As an example, Dartford Warblers are rare in the UK but are reliably found on heathland near where I live. There have been several requests from RSPB, National Trust and other organisations to photographers not to pester them as a result of significant disturbance in the past. I feel that there are similar problems with people playing territorial songs on portable devices to attract birds, in order to photograph them. Very stressful because it introduces an 'invisible' and therefore unchallengeable interloper into a hard-won territory. Most birds have a tough enough time these days without more stress from photographers and I think we should all be aware of this. Most of us are, I am sure and I certainly try to be!

Last edited:
No. They're using Canon equipment! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

Threads like this remind me of how good so much of modern humanity has it.

My definition of wildlife has to do with whether it has been domesticated or not. Even in a zoo, a lion can still be a wild animal. If you take a photo of one in that situation, I don't mind. Where I would have an issue is if you attempted to portray the shot as from other than a zoo. I don't care what the point of view is, we could find a lawyer to argue for and against every single situation where this might be an issue.

Just don't mis-represent your photos or harm your subject and enjoy the experience of getting the shot.
Agree totally! While I have taken pictures for years, I have purchased D500, Nikon 16-80, 70-200 2.8, 80-400 (latest version) and a 500PF in the last 18 months. Shooting other than Automatic is new to me and with Steve’ recommendation of “practice/practice/practice “, I’d much rather spend a day at the Phoenix Zoo ( here for 3 months) experimenting with camera settings including “manual with Auto ISO”, hand held/monopod, rather than sitting in our patio taking a picture of an occasional rabbit.
Yes, if I post any pictures and ask for feedback regarding exposure/composition, I would definitely say where they were taken.
Just my thoughts!

Wildlife photography to me is more about the connection to nature that we lack in a modern world. If taking pictures of birds at a feeder makes you feel more connected, so be it. I personally feel more connected when I'm immersed in the elements of nature where there are minimal human influences. I can go to a fishing pier and get bald eagle photos all day, but my favorite photos are always the ones where there are no human influence, because they also come with a story that draws your audience in with a caption. The camera is simply a digital tool to interface with the natural world; it's my responsibility to use that tool to help others connect with nature on a more intimate level. I believe the more connected people get, the more they will realize the impact we're having as a species. We are in an ongoing mass extinction event and it is primarily influenced by human activity.

Last edited:
I'll add a second thought here. I believe the 'is this real nature photography', 'is this wildlife photography,' 'would a real nature photographer do xyz? discussions are really counter productive. My dad and several of my friends are "hotrodders". The same debate in the hot rod community exists with regards to the younger generation adding turbos, NoS bottles, etc. to the small import cars. That's not real hot rodding. I have always argued that is exactly what hotrodders in the 40's 50's and 60's did. They bought cars they could afford and then altered them to make them go faster.

Back to photography, I think a more productive discussion would be what is ethical in our relationship with the wildlife and our desire to capture a photo. Truth is us walking down a path disturbs wildlife. Our presence in the forest disturbs wildlife (deer can smell us from very far away bears even farther). So, to say we, as photographers, wish to have a zero impact is saying we will never go into the field to take photos. My wife and I jokingly say the creatures of the forest knew we were there the moment we stepped out of the car and started walking into the woods. That is probably closer to truth than we care to acknowledge.

So, the question in my mind becomes what is acceptable disturbance vs. unacceptable disturbance. I believe there are some things we all could agree on (don't dig up a fox den with a backhoe excavator to see the kits.) and some things are gray (standing 50 yards from a raptor nest to shoot photos).

OK, this has been an interesting (and surprisingly civil) discussion.

Jeff

Comments regarding the use of "store bought" mice as possibly being detrimental as wild critter photo op bait got me to thinking.

It seems to me that store bought mice are widely sold as reptile food and as cute little pets typically for kids. Photo op bait is likely a tiny portion of sales. "Mice farms" that raise mice for sale to retail pet stores need to provide a safe product . Otherwise if they commonly wholesaled sick mice to pet stores they would not have a commercially viable product to stay in business.

IMO wild mice living where and as they do have a much higher likelihood of sickness, fleas, parasites, etc. than "lab raised" pet store sold Mickey Mouse's.

Just for transparency - I don't bait critters except to take backyard bird photos and for fishing.

Back