Katmail '23; My Favorite Bear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
She's not the best looking bear but definitely my favorite. I called her "the Lioness" due to having shed her long winter coat everywhere but on top/back of her head and her shoulders. Looked like the mane of a male lion. She is a tough old girl with two cubs of the year. She's a prolific fisher and held her ground and kept fishing when the big boars showed up on the creek. The other sows with cubs(we saw eight) tended to keep their distance from other bears. But the Lioness carried on in order to feed the kids and took on all comers, male or female, in protection of the little guys.

1) The lioness. Saw her every day for a week so sooner or later she was bound to come close enough for a portrait. Looks more like a wolf in the face but hey...
_NZ99868.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2) Mom and the kids. The darker/larger one at left of frame is a male. He bullied his little sister a lot.
_NZ99367.jpg

3) Teaching the kids to clam. Typically after the fish are in the creek they forego clamming. Never seen it at this location this time of year.
_NZ99125.jpg

4) Washing down the seafood with some milk.
_NZ99060.jpg

5) Zeroed in on a pink salmon(aka "humpie").
_NZ98450.jpg

6) The kids watching Mom fish. The male frequently stood up/leaned on his little sister.
_NZ92930.jpg

7) Most times she would eat the tail half of the fish and then let the kids have it to fight over. She always let them sort it out themselves. Sometimes it got quite violent.
_NZ98509.jpg

8) Whoa! This big boar came a little too close and got what for from Momma even though twice her size. Lots of roaring but no fur flew.
Z8A_2067.jpg

9) Time to nurse again. The yellow claws are a sign of advanced age.
p2495905770-6.jpg

10) Milky smiles
p2495905772-6.jpg

Last edited:
A fabulous set Dan! Love how you showed the different activity!
Glad you enjoyed the post, Roy.

What a fabulous set Dan. And your narrative made it even better. All top-notch shots.
Thanks for the kind comments, Fred. It was nice getting out there. Had a great week.

Such great photos. bucket list animal for me
Thanks. They're just a plane ride away :)

These are amazing. The brother leaning on sister madr my day.👌
Thanks so much. Glad they brought a smile. They were a hoot to watch in person.

What a wonderful series Dan, so well presented. It has been a few years since I was at Katmai NP and your series brought back great memories for me. Truly a place with lots of Brown Bears and such beauty. Thanks for sharing your story and photos.

Joe

Just plain ol' wonderful. Thanks for sharing the story about this family; feel like I know them! And great, great shots. Beautiful all 'round.

She's not the best looking bear but definitely my favorite. I called her "the Lioness" due to having shed her long winter coat everywhere but on top/back of her head and her shoulders. Looked like the mane of a male lion. She is a tough old girl with two cubs of the year. She's a prolific fisher and held her ground and kept fishing when the big boars showed up on the creek. The other sows with cubs(we saw eight) tended to keep their distance from other bears. But the Lioness carried on in order to feed the kids and took on all comers, male or female, in protection of the little guys.

1) The lioness. Saw her every day for a week so sooner or later she was bound to come close enough for a portrait. Looks more like a wolf in the face but hey...
View attachment 68656

2) Mom and the kids. The darker/larger one at left of frame is a male. He bullied his little sister a lot.
View attachment 68657

3) Teaching the kids to clam. Typically after the fish are in the creek they forego clamming. Never seen it at this location this time of year.
View attachment 68658

View attachment 68659

View attachment 68660

6) The kids watching Mom fish. The male frequently stood up/leaned on his little sister.
View attachment 68662

7) Most times she would eat the tail half of the fish and then let the kids have it to fight over. She always let them sort it out themselves. Sometimes it got quite violent.
View attachment 68661

8) Whoa! This big boar came a little too close and got what for from Momma even though twice her size. Lots of roaring but no fur flew.
View attachment 68663

p2495905770-6.jpg

10) Milky smiles
p2495905772-6.jpg
Incredible series Dan! Looks like you had a great time.Well done👍👍👍👍

Another fine set, Dan. It was a pleasure looking at them.
Glad you enjoyed them.

Wow, great series and background info to the images Dan,
Thanks for sharing,
Gavin
Appreciate the comment, Gavin.

What a wonderful series Dan, so well presented. It has been a few years since I was at Katmai NP and your series brought back great memories for me. Truly a place with lots of Brown Bears and such beauty. Thanks for sharing your story and photos.

Joe
Thanks, Joe. I'm happy that the post helped bring back pleasant memories for you.

Great set of images and your comments really make me feel like I was there! Great shooting! Sounds like you had a great trip!
It was an awesome trip, Karen. Had a nearly perfect weather window and timed it just right for the salmon run.

Great set and make me want to go back.
Thanks and I hope you do make it back.

Just plain ol' wonderful. Thanks for sharing the story about this family; feel like I know them! And great, great shots. Beautiful all 'round.
Thanks for the kind comments, Steven. If you felt a connection then mission accomplished :)

Tremendous series. You must be walking proud like the Lioness.
Thanks. More thankful than proud.

Great photos
Thanks, Charles.

Very nice series, Dan. You did well with these.
Glad you enjoyed them, Koos.

Incredible series Dan! Looks like you had a great time.Well done👍👍👍👍
Thanks, Ralph. It was a blast.

Fantastic series! (y)
Appreciate the comment.

Dan,
That is a Fantastic sequence, a worth while trip, on the back burner (y) (y) (y)(y)

Chris S.
Glad you enjoyed the post, Chris. It was a great trip. I'd never thought it possible but at times there were too many bears. Had to stop shooting to keep an eye on them and/or shoo one or two testy ones away. We hit the timing of the salmon run perfect as they were just starting upstream in numbers. The bears were ready for the feast.

Nice

View attachment 68656

View attachment 68657

View attachment 68658

View attachment 68659

View attachment 68660

View attachment 68662

View attachment 68661

View attachment 68663

p2495905770-6.jpg

10) Milky smiles
p2495905772-6.jpg
Nice Job, Dan!

Back