Kit for upcoming Africa trip

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ben C

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am heading to Africa next Friday for the first time. I'm going with my extended family, not a photo tour (there are 10 of us, no other photographers). We'll be spending 5 nights in Madikwe, 4 nights in Victoria Falls, 2 nights in the Greater Kruger area, and 2 nights in Cape Town. This will be my first time in Africa and I want to make sure I'm bringing appropriate equipment. Since we'll be taking a couple small charter flights and I have to fit all my equipment into one camera bag, I've reconfigured my Mindshift 45L backpack to fit the following equipment:

Z9 body
Z8 with Z 70-200 f2.8 mounted
Nikon Z 14-30 f4
Nikon Z 24-70 f4
Nikon Z 1.4 TC
OM-1 with M. Zuiko 100-400 mounted
M.Zuiko 8-25 f4 PRO
M.Zuiko 12-40 f2.8 PRO II
M.Zuiko 60 mm f2.8 macro
Godox TT350O
2 batteries for each camera

The bag weighs just under 30 pounds with this kit.

In addition, I will be bringing my 800 PF which will have to be in its own case and carried by one of my kids as their carry-on (they're in college, not toddlers, so I trust them!).

My plan for the game drives is to sit next to the driver so I have a little extra space, and bring all 3 bodies with me. The 800 PF will be mounted on the Z9, the 70-200 on the Z8, and the 100-400 on the OM-1, allowing me to cover 70-800mm without any need to change lenses. Part of me realizes this may be overkill, but the rest of me figures why the heck not? I want to be able to shoot birds as well as big mammals, and I don't want to miss shots because I don't have the right lens setup handy.

The wide angle lenses are for landscape opportunities, particularly around Victoria Falls and Cape Town. I don't plan to bring a tripod due to weight/space considerations, but I do have a monopod I could bring if needed.

Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations from those who have been would be greatly appreciated!

If you are the only photographer in the group, I wonder how much time you will have with your kit for landscapes. I think you are taking a lot of lenses. Way too many in my opinion.

I would definitely annoy my wife, having to swap that many lenses whenever I see something nice. Let alone a group of 10.
They might abandon you at one point ;-)

Agreed, that’s a lot of kit. Africa can be hard on cameras and a backup body is a good idea, so two bodies in the same system makes sense. For wildlife, on typical game drives, the focal length range you want is ~70-400mm. Ideally, a 70-200 on one body and a longer length on the other. That is manageable in a vehicle and means you don’t need to change lenses. 800 is only useful if you go for birds. Outside of game drives I’d bring a 24-70 for landscapes. From your kit, I’d probably put the 70-200 with the 1.4x TC on the Z 9 and the 24-70 on the Z 8 for game drives. Personally I’d leave the OM kit at home, but you could add a second body and put together a similar kit.

I often travel with non photographers and that’s a lot of kit to carry! I’d pick one system and try and keep it to 3 lenses. 4 maximum. Your Nikon set up for example ought to be just fine. 800 may be long though. Do you have a choice of other Nikon lenses?

Last edited:
way too many lenses. Your environment can get incredibly dusty - so you will not be able to change lenses when you're out in the field most likely. SO one super tele for the big game and birds and a medium tele for everything else on your 2nd. Check out @agrumpyoldsod who has great experience in Africa

My plan for the game drives is to sit next to the driver so I have a little extra space,
This might not be the best plan A - as the driver can obstruct your view if anything happens on the drivers side of the vehicle - unless the vehicle has an open top and you can stand up to take photos.
On the other hand a group of 10 in a single vehicle is a lot.

Like others have said understand the vehicle layout. You won't fit that much kit, and it will be on your lap if there are no empty seats. I would choose one wide angle. I never used my flash while there. The macro probably doesn't have enough reach to make it worthwhile so if one of the other lens does close focusing. It's too much like others have said.

On my trip with 15, the "birders" put themselves in one of the 3 vehicles, laughing that they would stop every 6 inches for each bird. I share this story to let you know that others won't want to wait for you to make your adjustments. Figure out how to cover what you need with the two bodies and one lens each for the mammals and birds and one wide angle.

Random thoughts -

I've been to Africa 4 times - all dedicated photography tours with only 3 people per vehicle. The guide usually sits beside the driver. I'd suggest you avoid sitting in the middle of a row. I usually take a 500 or 600 f4, a zoom covering the 100-400 range and maybe a 24-70. Never had a use for a macro lens.

I found little use for the 14-24 or 14-30. You can always take 2+ images pano for wide scenes. And my use of the 24-70 was rare. I now just depend on my phone for those types of shots. But you are going as a family trip....so maybe the 24-70 will be more useful for you. Remember that you will have your cell phone with you. It could easily take family shots, wide angles, touristy shots, etc.

Also, I never pack a lens for travel mounted to a camera. I just prefer to avoid risking any strain being applied to the mount. Once in the field shooting, I do keep a lens mounted to the body of course.

Your 70-200 (with and without a 1.4 tele) will be one of your primary lenses. It would be nice to have something in the 400 to 600 range....that is my most used focal range. I think the 800mm will be large and awkward carrying around and trying to swap lenses.

Thanks for the feedback. Apparently folks this is too much kit! 😆. Something I’m not clear on - are you all suggesting that this is too much to bring on the game drives, or too much to bring on the trip generally? As I mentioned, it all fits in my backpack (the OM-1 lenses on particular are very small) which is why I was planning on bringing it all. But my thinking was that I would not bring my camera bag on the game drives at all, just the three bodies with the different lenses mounted so I don’t have to change lenses out in the field. I was not planning on bringing any of the wider lenses on the game drives. Those I would only expect to use around Victoria Falls or perhaps around our camps.

I could just leave the wide Z lenses at home and bring only my OM-1 wide angle lenses, but when shooting landscapes I definitely prefer full frame and the f4 lenses don’t add much weight to my bag, which is why I had planned on bringing them.

Have you seen photos of the types of vehicles that will be used for the game drives? How many people per vehicle?

I assume you will be sitting fairly close to others during the game drives. Where do you put 2 cameras+lenses while you try to shoot with a 3rd set up? No room on the seat. Rows are probably close together. Lay the other 2 set ups on the floor? It may be difficult to bend over and retrieve stuff off the floor. And how do you hold 3 set ups when the vehicle is moving? They would likely slide around the floor as the driver starts and stops quickly....

I can only handle dealing with 2 set ups when I have a whole row to myself....and my camera bag to cradle the set up I'm not using. I doubt you will have that much room.....

Just something to think about.....

Having been to Africa twice I think everyone here has given good advice. The vehicle you will be riding in will be filled with people, 10 will be crowded. There will be no floor space and you'll be holding three cameras and unable to stand up and get a shot at all. I took two cameras to Kenya last August with a 500mm on one and a 70-200 with a TC (I shot in both FX and DX mode) on the other. This covered it all and it worked out fine. There was only two of us in our vehicle so we had plenty of room but even then it was a bit hard to get around the other person as we were nearly always shooting in the same direction. I don't think that family trips and photo trips generally well out very well for anyone. As a photographer sometimes we have to wait a bit for the best shot and your family may not want to sit in a hot, crowded vehicle for an hour waiting for that shot. Another thing to remember, the roads are very bumpy and gear can get knocked around a bit so you need to be able to stabilize your gear at all times.

For my tuppence worth, you have three separate photographic requirements; game drive; landscape and cityscape/travel. Factors that will affect the final choices , particularly on the safaris will be
1. The baggage weight limit on the charter aircraft. Often it is 15kg per pax on the smaller aircraft, so best to double check your carriers limits. Judicious sharing of kit and carrying the odd lens or body in your jacket can stretch these limits. You will need to factor in the rest of your luggage also.
2. Type of vehicle. Mandikwe vehicles appear to be the standard South African style with a roof covering. That is either two rows of two or three rows of three from the images on their safari site. sitting in the row behind the driver gives good viewing, more foot/floor space and also reduced bouncing than sitting above or behind the rear axle. 10 pax will need at least two vehicles. Work from the lesser crowded vehicle to maximise space for you. If space is tight then leave the camera bag at camp and carry you cleaning kit and blower and perhaps one lens with you in a jacket of vest. I try to avoid changing lenses unless absolutely necessary to avoid dust ingress into the body.
3. Your photography on safari will be from the vehicle. Two bodies which are strapped to you is a very workable option. Loose cameras are likely to get damaged as the vehicle bounces around. (I learnt the ahead way). Lens choice will depend on whether the safari vehicles can of off track or not - contact the camp to see. Basic set up longer lens on a camera with a high shutter speed and performance for distance/smaller/ moving subjects and a medium lens on the second body for closer, slower / static subjects. the 400 on the 0M-1 doesn't offer. crop mode option which means you are limited to a max of 400 which is could be a tad short if the vehicles stay on tracks. and the savannah is open (Z9 with 70-200 + 1.4 tc in crop mode gives you 420mm f4)
4. Whilst animals are often the main attraction, landscape and scenery, particularly the big skies are not to be missed. To that end anything from 24mm upwards will suffice.
5. Shooting with a long lenses to close distance will very likely result in soft images from heat haze and dust. Filling the frame and where safe, getting close will negate this and result in sharper images
6. It doesn't appear to be a photo safari and as you are with your family a zoom gives you far more flexibility than a prime as moving to get you into range for the 800mm may not be to everyones liking whereas a zoom provides a variable range than caters for the vehicles positioning and also any animal movement.

OM-1 with 100-400 is one option (although the Z9 with 70-200 and tc gives 98-280 and 147-420 in crop mode) and if off roadable and there are larger animals the z8 and 24-70 (which also gives 36-105 in dx mode) covers many bases. from 24-420. If it's too close for the 24-70 then its time for the smartphone!

Victoria Fall
Photographing around Vc Fall is dependent on time of year, currently the water flows will be lower meaning you can get a wider range of images along the length of the Falls. Here is the link for what I believe is the best info site for anyone visiting the Falls.
I throughly recommend a sunrise or sunset cruise on the Zambezi river not only are there plenty of wildlife, birds in particular, but the scenery and landscape are spectacular.

The Z8 with 24-70 and the 70-200 would be a useful combo. Having the 14-30 adds little weight or bulk.

Cape Town
Great Opportunity for street/travel photography around Cape Town particularly around the muslim quarter of the Bo Kap area, as well as landscapes from Signal hill. Interesting seascape can be got from from Blouberg beach across the bay to Table mountain. The V& Waterfront offers some great shopping and photo opportunities for half a dy. I am an advocate of carrying less in cities and carry one body a wide angle and a short - medium telephoto which covers most bases as changing lenses is easier (providing it's dry). if you are using a vehicle that is nearby or has some with it then you could possibly consider leaving a second body and lenses in the boot rather than carrying a second body around and simply select what you need dependent on the venue/location. I tend to plan for a specific type of venue and take the minimum I can. If you want do some macro then the Kirstenbosch gardens may be up your street. Be mindful of who is around you, big city security awareness etc. Low profile discretion works well in the city centre.

For travel and street the OM-1 with 12-40 is relatively compact. Agree landscape benefits from full frame.

I would plump for the Z8 and the 14-30 and the 24-70 which will be a workhorse lens. The lenses focal length will determine the body. 100-400 is a very useful wildlife and landscape focal range which dictates the OM-1 being used whilst you have some great focal ranges with Nikon. regardless of what you decode to take, the best camera is the one you have with you when you need it. Have a great trip, you and your family will love the experiences

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed suggestions Hawkeshead. Keep in mind that the OM-1 has a 2X crop factor compared to full frame, so the 100-400 is effectively a 200-800. Paired with the Z8 70-200 those two camera give me coverage from 70-800 without the need to change lenses or add a teleconverter (which I intend to avoid doing). When out on safari that's what I plan to bring, but the question is whether I bring the Z9 + 800 PF for the added sharpness and speed at 800. This would mostly be for birds as opposed to larger mammals. I can see where heat haze and dust would be a problem on the afternoon game drive, but on the morning game drives the temps will be in the 40s and 50s. Even in the afternoons it is not supposed to get above the high 70s while we are there. Carrying the large Z9/800 combo is the issue and that may cause me to leave it behind, although I can always ask my college-aged son to hold it for me (he is getting a free safari after all!).

Thank you for the link to the article on photographing Vic Falls. I will definitely check that out. We are doing a sunset cruise on the Zambezi which we are all looking forward to. We also have booked a birding cruise on the upper Zambezi one morning where I will definitely bring the 800, and probably the OM-1 as well for closer stuff.

I am not one for street photography so I probably won't carry a camera around Cape Town, but we are doing a full day tour to the Cape and the penguins and I will probably bring my OM-1 on that. It's a private tour so space is not an issue. Likewise, for our charter flights we have the plane to ourselves so we'll get a little more flexibility on luggage weight. And I'm making everyone else pack light so I can use the extra weight allowance. :p

My third trip to Africa was this January. I took an 800pf, 500pf, 80-400, and a 50. Cameras were a Z9 and D850. I used the 800 on the z9 for a majority of my pictures, with the 80-400 a distant second. I used the 50 for landscapes. I only used the 500 one afternoon, just for a change from the 800. On the prior trip, my main lens was a 600 f4. The 800 was much easier to use than the 600. I would take the 800, especially if you like birds. Then carry a medium zoom on whatever you decide to take as a second camera. Then a third lens for landscapes (usually you will have time to switch to a landscape lens when necessary). That's all you really need.

A request....

after the trip, please respond with what you took, what you could have left behind -- and what you wish you had taken!

That information helps us all!
Happy to do so. Now that you mention it, a forum dedicated to trip reports might be a nice addition to this site.

are you all suggesting that this is too much to bring on the game drives, or too much to bring on the trip generally?
Both. I've made the long trip to Africa about 15 times over the years, and each time I carry less...and am glad I did. Carrying 30 pounds of anything through airports, on small planes, etc., will wear you down and take much of the joy out of your travels. My last visit, in late 2021, I was severely limited on space (long story) and took only my D850, 200-500 and 24-120. Only lens I wish I'd have had was something longer--only a couple of times--but since I don't have one, it was not an issue. I got better photos with just two lenses than in all my previous trips when I hauled way too much gear with me. All the above advice is right on. Things often happen quickly. Animals will stand and pose only for so long. IMHO, you stand a better chance of missing a shot while swapping lenses than by not having every conceivable lens with you. I would also highly recommend taking a good monopod/gimbel setup. Often the most dramatic shots present themselves in very low light, and chances are the extra f stops a steady platform gives you will result in more keepers than extra lenses would. Enjoy your trip!

I agree that the list of kit is far too much to schlep around unless some of the family are willing carriers and you can arrange to sit next to them, which is likely . In private reserves like Madikwe and round Kruger one can generally get quite close to wild life and the 70-200 with TC should be adequate. The OM1 plus the 100 -400 will give you the reach you need for most situations on the smaller format. 800mm is fine for birds but at this time of the year the migrants are missing and I'd think twice before packing it. In Cape Town the 24-70 will give you all the flexibility that you need.

Don't leave kit in the car as break-ins are common - exercise the same care you would in some of the poorer areas in US cities.

Enjoy my country! :)

To add to my last post - I'm off next Tuesday to Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (Northern Cape Province) for wildlife and on to Namibia landscapes.

As an indication as to what I consider necessary ( I realise that it's low end but our currency and advancing years have discouraged me from investing heavily in gear)
My kit is
D500 + 200-500
TC 14ii
Z5 + adapter
24-200 Z
Tokina 11-16 DX for milky way on D500
105 2.8 VR F lens

This should be more than adequate based on 50 years of travel to the Kruger Park, Etosha and Kgalagadi

Not clarified yet is the type of vehicle.
Some minibuses can easily accommodate 10 or more but are not particularly suited two wildlife photography.
Len - the standard game viewing vehicle in Southern Africa is a modified Land Cruiser truck with 3 rows of seats behind the driver. They are raised in tiers and cn normally accommodate 10 pax and a drver/guide. If there's a tracker he usually sits on a special seat attached to the front of the vehicle above the left bumper ( SA is right hand drive)

Len - the standard game viewing vehicle in Southern Africa is a modified Land Cruiser truck with 3 rows of seats behind the driver. They are raised in tiers and cn normally accommodate 10 pax and a drver/guide. If there's a tracker he usually sits on a special seat attached to the front of the vehicle above the left bumper ( SA is right hand drive)
Ditto

I can confirm that this is the kind of vehicle they use at the places we are staying - I have seen photos and spoken to friends (non-photographers) who have been there several times.

As for the schlepping, I’m 53 and work out daily, so I’m pretty fit and strong. Carrying a 30 pound camera backpack through airports is not an issue. I routinely hike with it in the mountains. I worry more about what I have room to bring with me and handle in the game vehicles. Since we are 10 people and all 10 seats will be taken, I know I won’t have room to bring my camera backpack on the game drives, and I don’t want to be changing lenses in the bush. That’s why I am trying to determine what combo of bodies and lenses to bring with me. I can always adapt from game drive to game drive based on the conditions once we get there, but I like to be prepared and know what to expect. All of the feedback on this thread has been very helpful in that regard.

Back