Kit for upcoming Africa trip

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ok here goes my 1st post 🙂
I have just been to Dulini in the Sabi Sands, greater Kruger Park area.

You are packing much to much kit for your trip. Less is so much better.
I had Z8 & Z9, 70-200 S, 800mm pf, 200-500mm (waiting for 180-600mm), 85mm, 105mm S, 14-24mm S, 24-120mm S.
I only used the Z9 with 70-200mm. The 800mm was used twice for birding on the Z8. That's it, not even unpacking the rest and the 200-500mm remained in the car.
The 70-200 is good for video as well!

As mentioned above it is the wrong time of the year for great birding shots but if you want take the 800mm with, but I will leave it at home.

For your trip to the falls area you would need a set of ND filters, this is very important, else you will just be taking snap shots. Tripod yes or borrow one??

Thus my opinion, I will only take the Nikon kit excluding the 800mm, but add some filters and drop the extra batteries and add a battery pack just in case you run out of battery on a sight seeing trip out.

I just returned from Cape Town, a SA safari and Vic Falls.
You have everything covered, but I would agree that's too much to bring.
I switched from the Nikon D500 and 500 PF to OM system, so take my input from that perspective.

I brought two OM-1 bodies and four lenses (60 mm, 8-25, 40-150 and 150-400 4.5 TC) a Godox flash and my Ricoh Griii
I wore the GRiii on my belt and had the OM-1 with the 40-150 and the second OM-1 with the 150-400 TC on my body with over the shoulder straps. I'm kind of bird nut and also had my binoculars and harness on my body on my chest.
While I love macro, I never used the 60 mm or the flash
I used the GRiii (essentially a fixed point and shoot but a great sensor) for landscape, macro, sunsets, milky way and street photography. I love that camera.
I used the OM-1 150-400 TC the majority of the time and the 40-150 for animals closer to the vehicle
I never changed lenses on the vehicle, but it's winter there and the dust isn't horrible this time of year.
I only used my tripod (very lightweight) for star photography with the Griii. Otherwise with great image stabilization in all your cameras it's not necessary.
I only used the 8-25 at Victoria falls

If I were to revisit Victoria Falls, I'd repeat the nocturnal (dinner) Zambeze river cruise and add a helicopter view of the falls in the afternoon. We did the rim walk , which is great (currently $50 per person), but after the first couple of good photography spots the rest of the walk is in a downpour (or up-pour) of mist that gets you totally soaked and photography is limited to very quick shots before your lens is covered in mist. I think a better perspective of the falls would be from the air. I brought the 8-25 for this walk and there were some good birds I missed that made me wish I'd brought my longer lenses. That was the only time on the trip I used the 8-25.

Cape Town is a beautiful setting and no matter what you do your two days will be enjoyable. You'll wish you had more days there to explore al the possibilities.

On game drives, I tried to sit as low in the vehicle as possible to get eye level shots, without dominating the front seat on every drive. A lot depends upon the driver as they do their best to position the vehicle, but sometimes there's a branch or something in the way of the perfect shot that they don't recognize when you're two feet behind them in the vehicle. I wasn't obnoxious enough to force them to move from my perspective as I was with my family and in the same boat you'll be in as a photographer that is also trying to keep everyone else happy. I did find that letting the driver know I was very interested in birds helped as they seemed to enthusiastically adjust the trip to make sure I appreciated (not always photographed) birds visualized on each drive.

Have fun, you can't go wrong and I think this will whet your appetite for a return. Prior to my trip, I did review Butlerkid's (Karen Pleasant's) page and her husbands video pages which are excellent and inspirational. Of course Steve also has great information on Africa.

I can confirm that this is the kind of vehicle they use at the places we are staying - I have seen photos and spoken to friends (non-photographers) who have been there several times.

As for the schlepping, I’m 53 and work out daily, so I’m pretty fit and strong. Carrying a 30 pound camera backpack through airports is not an issue. I routinely hike with it in the mountains. I worry more about what I have room to bring with me and handle in the game vehicles. Since we are 10 people and all 10 seats will be taken, I know I won’t have room to bring my camera backpack on the game drives, and I don’t want to be changing lenses in the bush. That’s why I am trying to determine what combo of bodies and lenses to bring with me. I can always adapt from game drive to game drive based on the conditions once we get there, but I like to be prepared and know what to expect. All of the feedback on this thread has been very helpful in that regard.
Ben, probably the most flexible combo in the bush would be the z8/9 with the 70-200 and probably the TC attached and the other with the 800. The former should take care of most animal sightings particularly as the guides in private reserves have some ability to go off road and theye're in communication with each other fro special sightsings. The long lens will handle most bird sightings.

It will be worth talking to the staff to see if they have an extra vehicle to give you more elbow room/luggage space in which case the OM combo would be good too.

You may also be able to capture a couple of good milky way shots as the galactic centre is visible from early evening .

Have a ball!

For my tuppence worth, you have three separate photographic requirements; game drive; landscape and cityscape/travel. Factors that will affect the final choices , particularly on the safaris will be
1. The baggage weight limit on the charter aircraft. Often it is 15kg per pax on the smaller aircraft, so best to double check your carriers limits. Judicious sharing of kit and carrying the odd lens or body in your jacket can stretch these limits. You will need to factor in the rest of your luggage also.
2. Type of vehicle. Mandikwe vehicles appear to be the standard South African style with a roof covering. That is either two rows of two or three rows of three from the images on their safari site. sitting in the row behind the driver gives good viewing, more foot/floor space and also reduced bouncing than sitting above or behind the rear axle. 10 pax will need at least two vehicles. Work from the lesser crowded vehicle to maximise space for you. If space is tight then leave the camera bag at camp and carry you cleaning kit and blower and perhaps one lens with you in a jacket of vest. I try to avoid changing lenses unless absolutely necessary to avoid dust ingress into the body.
3. Your photography on safari will be from the vehicle. Two bodies which are strapped to you is a very workable option. Loose cameras are likely to get damaged as the vehicle bounces around. (I learnt the ahead way). Lens choice will depend on whether the safari vehicles can of off track or not - contact the camp to see. Basic set up longer lens on a camera with a high shutter speed and performance for distance/smaller/ moving subjects and a medium lens on the second body for closer, slower / static subjects. the 400 on the 0M-1 doesn't offer. crop mode option which means you are limited to a max of 400 which is could be a tad short if the vehicles stay on tracks. and the savannah is open (Z9 with 70-200 + 1.4 tc in crop mode gives you 420mm f4)
4. Whilst animals are often the main attraction, landscape and scenery, particularly the big skies are not to be missed. To that end anything from 24mm upwards will suffice.
5. Shooting with a long lenses to close distance will very likely result in soft images from heat haze and dust. Filling the frame and where safe, getting close will negate this and result in sharper images
6. It doesn't appear to be a photo safari and as you are with your family a zoom gives you far more flexibility than a prime as moving to get you into range for the 800mm may not be to everyones liking whereas a zoom provides a variable range than caters for the vehicles positioning and also any animal movement.

OM-1 with 100-400 is one option (although the Z9 with 70-200 and tc gives 98-280 and 147-420 in crop mode) and if off roadable and there are larger animals the z8 and 24-70 (which also gives 36-105 in dx mode) covers many bases. from 24-420. If it's too close for the 24-70 then its time for the smartphone!

Victoria Fall
Photographing around Vc Fall is dependent on time of year, currently the water flows will be lower meaning you can get a wider range of images along the length of the Falls. Here is the link for what I believe is the best info site for anyone visiting the Falls.
I throughly recommend a sunrise or sunset cruise on the Zambezi river not only are there plenty of wildlife, birds in particular, but the scenery and landscape are spectacular.

The Z8 with 24-70 and the 70-200 would be a useful combo. Having the 14-30 adds little weight or bulk.

Cape Town
Great Opportunity for street/travel photography around Cape Town particularly around the muslim quarter of the Bo Kap area, as well as landscapes from Signal hill. Interesting seascape can be got from from Blouberg beach across the bay to Table mountain. The V& Waterfront offers some great shopping and photo opportunities for half a dy. I am an advocate of carrying less in cities and carry one body a wide angle and a short - medium telephoto which covers most bases as changing lenses is easier (providing it's dry). if you are using a vehicle that is nearby or has some with it then you could possibly consider leaving a second body and lenses in the boot rather than carrying a second body around and simply select what you need dependent on the venue/location. I tend to plan for a specific type of venue and take the minimum I can. If you want do some macro then the Kirstenbosch gardens may be up your street. Be mindful of who is around you, big city security awareness etc. Low profile discretion works well in the city centre.

For travel and street the OM-1 with 12-40 is relatively compact. Agree landscape benefits from full frame.

I would plump for the Z8 and the 14-30 and the 24-70 which will be a workhorse lens. The lenses focal length will determine the body. 100-400 is a very useful wildlife and landscape focal range which dictates the OM-1 being used whilst you have some great focal ranges with Nikon. regardless of what you decode to take, the best camera is the one you have with you when you need it. Have a great trip, you and your family will love the experiences
Hi Hawkeshead,
I live in South Africa and I believe that you have summed up your recommendations comprehensively.
I would like to add that in and around our cities carrying too many cameras and lenses would be extremely risky to the point of being a definite magnet for thieves.
Gavin

I just returned from Cape Town, a SA safari and Vic Falls.
You have everything covered, but I would agree that's too much to bring.
I switched from the Nikon D500 and 500 PF to OM system, so take my input from that perspective.

I brought two OM-1 bodies and four lenses (60 mm, 8-25, 40-150 and 150-400 4.5 TC) a Godox flash and my Ricoh Griii
I wore the GRiii on my belt and had the OM-1 with the 40-150 and the second OM-1 with the 150-400 TC on my body with over the shoulder straps. I'm kind of bird nut and also had my binoculars and harness on my body on my chest.
While I love macro, I never used the 60 mm or the flash
I used the GRiii (essentially a fixed point and shoot but a great sensor) for landscape, macro, sunsets, milky way and street photography. I love that camera.
I used the OM-1 150-400 TC the majority of the time and the 40-150 for animals closer to the vehicle
I never changed lenses on the vehicle, but it's winter there and the dust isn't horrible this time of year.
I only used my tripod (very lightweight) for star photography with the Griii. Otherwise with great image stabilization in all your cameras it's not necessary.
I only used the 8-25 at Victoria falls

If I were to revisit Victoria Falls, I'd repeat the nocturnal (dinner) Zambeze river cruise and add a helicopter view of the falls in the afternoon. We did the rim walk , which is great (currently $50 per person), but after the first couple of good photography spots the rest of the walk is in a downpour (or up-pour) of mist that gets you totally soaked and photography is limited to very quick shots before your lens is covered in mist. I think a better perspective of the falls would be from the air. I brought the 8-25 for this walk and there were some good birds I missed that made me wish I'd brought my longer lenses. That was the only time on the trip I used the 8-25.

Cape Town is a beautiful setting and no matter what you do your two days will be enjoyable. You'll wish you had more days there to explore al the possibilities.

On game drives, I tried to sit as low in the vehicle as possible to get eye level shots, without dominating the front seat on every drive. A lot depends upon the driver as they do their best to position the vehicle, but sometimes there's a branch or something in the way of the perfect shot that they don't recognize when you're two feet behind them in the vehicle. I wasn't obnoxious enough to force them to move from my perspective as I was with my family and in the same boat you'll be in as a photographer that is also trying to keep everyone else happy. I did find that letting the driver know I was very interested in birds helped as they seemed to enthusiastically adjust the trip to make sure I appreciated (not always photographed) birds visualized on each drive.

Have fun, you can't go wrong and I think this will whet your appetite for a return. Prior to my trip, I did review Butlerkid's (Karen Pleasant's) page and her husbands video pages which are excellent and inspirational. Of course Steve also has great information on Africa.
We took the rim walk also. The amount of mist was unexpected not knowing the area. I was pulling my shirt over the camera constantly. A camera/lens cover would be recommended or in your case several covers :). We were there in October when the flow was low.

Last edited:
I usually have two bodies with a 150-600 on one and a 70-200 on the other. I have taken a 24-70 before but found I never used it. With two lenses, two cameras I am never change lenses which isa huge factor if you are out in the dust. Going to Cape Town you may find that a shorter lens will be needed for landscapes. Enjoy your trip :)

You will need somewhere to put your kit in the vehicle. It is inadvisable to put it on the floor. The terrain can be extremely rough, and the suspension of safari vehicles, while soft, is not sufficient to protect camera gear from damage.

Practically, two bodies with lenses attached are all the camera that can be managed unless you have the whole of a row of seats to yourself, or unless you have cooperative travelling companions.

Appreciate the continued feedback. We leave tomorrow and I am bringing the full kit because it fits in my camera backpack, and none of the individual lenses that I would consider leaving behind weigh enough to make a difference to me. The only time the backpack will be on my back is in the airports. The 800 PF is the exception as it is too large to fit in my backpack at all so I need to bring it as a separate carry-on in its own case. Not ideal, but manageable, and I would simply hate to leave that lens at home and find myself wishing I had brought it.

That said, I will probably reserve the 800 for the birding cruise and shooting the watering holes at the lodges we are staying, rather than take it in the safari vehicles. For the game drives I think I will bring the Z8 with the 70-200 and the OM-1 with the 100-400 (effectively 200-800) as a starting point, and I’ll bring along the 1.4TC for the Z as well. I have two Peak Design shoulder straps so I can wear both cameras and I think that should be manageable. I can always switch up my kit between game drives depending on conditions and what is proving most useful.

For the Vic Falls rim walk I will probably bring the OM-1 with the 8-24 (16-60). It covers a good zoom range and the built in ND filter in the OM-1 allows me to take great long-exposure waterfall shots handheld. I do have a monopod I could bring along but that may be one thing that’s not worth schlepping.

Again, street photography is not really my thing, so I probably will stick with my cell phone for general shots around Cape Town. We are doing a full-day tour of the Cape including the penguins, but that’s a private tour so I can just bring my camera bag for that.

Really appreciate all the great advice and suggestions from everyone. Fingers crossed that all the travel goes smoothly and we have no hiccups. Aside from nervousness about that I am really excited for the trip!

Closing the loop on this thread, I returned from Africa a couple weeks ago and just posted a trip report with a detailed explanation of how bringing all that kit worked out, along with a few images from each setup. Here’s a link to the new thread:

https://bcgforums.com/index.php?thr...g-detail-on-lens-selection.27831/#post-312409

Short answer is I am very glad I brought everything. It proved to be very manageable and I definitely would have missed a lot of shots if I had had to change lenses on the fly or didn’t bring one or more of my lenses (especially the 800PF) to save space. Hopefully my other thread will be a good resource for others searching this topic in the future.

Back