Learning to not be afraid of high ISO shooting

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have not had to deal with high ISO yet. But, which program or software is recommended to reduce ISO noise? I'm just learning Lightroom now.

It's not software, but cropping less is also good for reducing noise. I think the formula is the crop factor squared times the ISO. So for example shooting at iso 3200, if you crop to 1.6x in camera or in post it's like shooting at 8192 as far as noise goes.

That said Lightroom and Photoshop already have pretty good noise reduction, enough for me, but I'm not pushing iso the way folks here are discussing.

I don't know if the A1 sensor is meant to be ISO invariant or not but my - unscientific - recent experience shows me that the images look better (or should I say come out of things like Topaz looking cleaner and clearer and sharper) properly exposed at higher ISO's than under exposed with lower ones.
I think that this is a misunderstanding of leveraging ISO invariance to protect the highlights. To do this you keep exposure the same (same aperture and shutterspeed) amd use a lower ISO and brighten in post. ISO is not a part of exposure, but it does affect exposure with an automated exposue system. The above approach involves brightening in post rather than with the ISO amplifier in the camera. To avoid color shifts and other undesirable effefts is is advisable go brighten no more than 3 stops in post.

Bill

As a bird ID photographer first and everything else is second I shoot Manual with auto ISO, I pick the shutter speed and depth of field f/stop I want and the ISO has to be what the ISO has to be. These use in camera high ISO NR low.

Using the setting available in the Z9 such as all the adjustments possible in picture control or in Adobe light room classic (LRC) speak profile you can now have LRC use the settings you put in the camera rather than Adobe defaults and if you got it right in camera the results are quite surprising.

The Wood Duck had no editing done but crop in LRC. The Sparrow I did use the masking slider in LRC.

If some images are important and really need help I use first LRC sharpening and noise reduction sliders and if needed Topaz DeNoise AI.

The Wood Duck was in very low morning light in the shade. The Sparrow more light but shutter speed set anticipating more movement.

Z9 w/ Z800 PF
Hand held VR Sport on
Manual with auto ISO
Wide Area AF custom 5x3
Subject recognition and animal tracking on
ISO 7,200
center weighted metering
1/250 f/6.3

Z91_1643.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Z9 w/ Z800 PF
Hand held VR Sport on
Manual with auto ISO
Auto-area AF
ISO 9,000
center weighted metering
1/800 f/6.3

Z91_6104.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

As a bird ID photographer first and everything else is second I shoot Manual with auto ISO, I pick the shutter speed and depth of field f/stop I want and the ISO has to be what the ISO has to be. These use in camera high ISO NR low.

Using the setting available in the Z9 such as all the adjustments possible in picture control or in Adobe light room classic (LRC) speak profile you can now have LRC use the settings you put in the camera rather than Adobe defaults and if you got it right in camera the results are quite surprising.

The Wood Duck had no editing done but crop in LRC. The Sparrow I did use the masking slider in LRC.

If some images are important and really need help I use first LRC sharpening and noise reduction sliders and if needed Topaz DeNoise AI.

The Wood Duck was in very low morning light in the shade. The Sparrow more light but shutter speed set anticipating more movement.

Z9 w/ Z800 PF
Hand held VR Sport on
Manual with auto ISO
Wide Area AF custom 5x3
ISO 7,200
center weighted metering
1/250 f/6.3

Z9 w/ Z800 PF
Hand held VR Sport on
Manual with auto ISO
Auto-area AF
ISO 9,000
center weighted metering
1/800 f/6.3
Excellent IQ for this ISO. Very good color.
Did you use any noise reduction and, if so, what program?

I previously was using ISO 3200 for my max ISO, but I think ISO 6400 would be quite acceptable when needed.

Bill

I previously was using ISO 3200 for my max ISO, but I think ISO 6400 would be quite acceptable when needed.

Bill
The Wood Duck had no editing done other than cropping in LRC. The only editing for the Sparrow was using the masking slider and cropping in LRC. Nothing else. The process is simple now when I get the settings right in camera for the bird shot with the ability to use the in camera setting instead of the adobe defaults.

Bill
My maximum ISO is set at 25,600 ... rarely gets that high but not unusual to have 12,500. Whether I have to do any noise reduction in LRC or occassionaly Topaz DeNoise AI depends on the subject, shadows etc. and how well I did with the camera in the heat of battle with the birds.

Z9 w/ Z800 PF
Hand held VR Sport on
Manual with auto ISO
Wide Area AF custom 5x3
ISO 7,200
center weighted metering
1/250 f/6.3

View attachment 49564

Z9 w/ Z800 PF
Hand held VR Sport on
Manual with auto ISO
Auto-area AF
ISO 9,000
center weighted metering
1/800 f/6.3

.3View attachment 49565
Very impressive results, I am pushing my limits on ISO up to see how well they will turnout while maintaining the shutter speed to capture without blur. Great discussion by all.

Back