Lens recommendation (300-500mm) needed for wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello to everyone!
Just got back from 2.5 weeks in YSNP and GTNP, had a blast as usual. We saw a lot of wildlife - near and far. My set up was the following: The D6 married to the combination of tripod, WH-200 gimbal and 600mm F4. The D500 was interchangeable with 70-200mm F2.8 + 1.4TC. I have two more lenses for landscapes 14-24 and 24-70mm.
For the most part, the tripod with the D6 and 600mm F4 was used as we were driving around and if we see a wildlife, I would pull it out of the car and use it very fast. I took it on the hike with me at GTNP (last year we saw 5 different brown bears on the same hike), this time didn't see a single one (Murphy's law), so I've usually used the 70-200 +1.4TC on most of our hikes since we hiked on average between 6-12 miles.
There were times, however, when the usage of the D6 was hard - no time to pull it out of the car with wildlife disappearing fast, so I used the D500 with 70-200 + 1.4TC instead. Better to use this lens than missed a shot all together. Sometimes, I needed an extra reach, the D500 and 70-200 +1.4TC was not enough.
So, in lieu of this, I believe I need to add a lens between 300-500mm. So, what are your recommendations would be? I don't need another prime for 10K+ lens, so my combination with the D6 and 600F4 will stay the same. The lens I am looking for will be used for wildlife and carrying on hikes.
I read a forum that was started a few days ago about the 500PF lens. It looks like a possible lens to use for this purpose. Or is there would be other recommendations from the forum members?
Thank you as always for everyone's time and opinion.
Ioulia

I read a forum that was started a few days ago about the 500PF lens. It looks like a possible lens to use for this purpose. Or is there would be other recommendations from the forum members?
Really hard to go wrong with the 500mm PF as a long walk around and hiking lens. It's my go-to for longer backcountry days in the Tetons when I plan to do a fair amount of photography. As Steve posted above the 300mm PF is also a stellar light weight hiking lens and it takes the TC-14 E III very well (and even does pretty well with the TC-17). If hiking or climbing is the primary goal but I still want to be ready for wildlife I'll carry the D500 or Z6 II with the 300mm PF and a TC handy but if photography is the primary reason to be out I'll have the 500mm PF, maybe the 300mm PF and a wider lens for scenics. And like you if wildlife photography is the whole point I'll have my 600mm f/4 and a big tripod.

The Nikon 200-500mm is also a very versatile and great lens but it's quite a bit bigger and bulkier than either of the PF lenses. And if you want a light kit and will be out looking for larger subjects or subjects you can get close to the Tamron 100-400mm is a very nice and lightweight zoom that I find to be plenty sharp enough for my uses though it is an f/6.3 lens wide open at 400mm so you pay a price for that smaller size in a telephoto zoom.

Honestly I don't know anyone that's picked up a 500mm PF and regretted it and personally I get enough use out of my 300mm PF that I kept it even after picking up the 500mm. One great thing about the 300mm PF is it's incredibly short minimum focusing distance which makes it a very handy long macro lens especially on a crop body camera or when used with a TC. I've used mine that way a number of times when out hiking for Butterflies, Spiders and such when I wasn't carrying an actual macro lens.

Last edited:
If you like to do macro/closeup the 300 PF is super. If u plan on using again in YNP or big critters then the 500 PF.

I use the 1.4 TC on the 300 PF a lot and like the results. I just received the 500 PF and I don’t have any personal experience with it on that lens.

I used to carry a 500 f/4 and an 80-400 zoom. I was never a huge fan of the 200-500, which I found heavy and awkward for what it does. The 500 PF has changed the calculus - It's about an inch longer than the 80-400 and a few ounces heavier. So now 'portable' is the 500 PF. I'm still looking for a zoom in the 100-400 range (considering the Tamron. DRwyoming's recommendation is interesting). But the 500 PF is fairly revolutionary in what it makes possible.

The 500 PF is an easy choice. You've got a 600mm big glass kit and the 500 PF would be the light kit. Different situations and locations call for different solutions. The 500 PF is easily handheld and packs well. The 500mm and 600mm f/4 lenses require a commitment to using that lens and carrying the related tripod and head. The 500 PF would go with you even if there was a good chance you would not use it at all.

Optics are excellent and the price is reasonable.

You have some great equipment - we should all be so lucky!

If I were in your situation, I'd add the 200-500 f5.6 to my kit, although it depends on how you intend to use it. While heavier than the 300pf and 500pf, it has the advantage of being a zoom, which comes in handy at times. IQ is pretty damn good, and the AF reasonably fast and accurate (at least, without a TC). I'm not sure what the 500pf would give you that you don't already have with your 600 f4, other than maneuverability for quick moving wildlife. You mentioned hiking - if that's your intended purpose, then the 300pf or 500pf might be better choices, although personally I've never minded carrying the 200-500 on hikes.

I was in YNP in August, and used my 200-500 often and pretty effectively for bison, pronghorn, coyotes, and occasionally wolves, although the latter often were too far away for any lens! I spent one afternoon along the Lamar River photographing bison in rut, and I was glad that I had my 200-500 mounted on my D850 - the long range was perfect for photographing the big bulls sparring with one another (while keeping a safe distance!), while the short end was just right for closer in work with the red dogs and cows.

I use a 600mm f/4E on a D6 bu hand held so no as quick to need my quick grab and go which is a 500pf on a D850 or a D500 or a Tamron 100-400 on D850 if I want variable focal length.

[I am not a fan of the D5/D6 in general for wildlife photography as with a DX level of image cropping one has in effect a 9MP camera. A 500mm on the D850 gives me the image size of the 600mm on a D5/D6 camera. Only 9 fps with the D850 and in one situation the autofocus performance is better with the D5 camera that I also own.

That one situation is with a subject rapidly approaching the camera. This has long been a problem with the AF of cameras regardless of the manufacturer. I only encounter this situation with birds and even then affect a minor portion of my images shot during the day. No such worries with a rapidly approaching grizzly as I am not going to be closer than 100 yards unless I am in a boat or on a protected platform.

For me the 600mm is used with the bears and moose and the 80-400mm or 500mm PF is used for everything. What is great about the D850 is that I can shoot with a 80-400mm lens and have the view angle range it provides and also with the image file resolution I have a 120-600mm lens in effect. I have greater ability to frame the subject so as to show its environment and not be doing head shots.

[I am not a fan of the D5/D6 in general for wildlife photography as with a DX level of image cropping one has in effect a 9MP camera. A 500mm on the D850 gives me the image size of the 600mm on a D5/D6 camera. Only 9 fps with the D850 and in one situation the autofocus performance is better with the D5 camera that I also own.

That one situation is with a subject rapidly approaching the camera. This has long been a problem with the AF of cameras regardless of the manufacturer. I only encounter this situation with birds and even then affect a minor portion of my images shot during the day. No such worries with a rapidly approaching grizzly as I am not going to be closer than 100 yards unless I am in a boat or on a protected platform.

For me the 600mm is used with the bears and moose and the 80-400mm or 500mm PF is used for everything. What is great about the D850 is that I can shoot with a 80-400mm lens and have the view angle range it provides and also with the image file resolution I have a 120-600mm lens in effect. I have greater ability to frame the subject so as to show its environment and not be doing head shots.
I seldom have to crop much in my photo op situations with the D6 600mm combo. If I knew I would need to crop I would use my D850 or the D500. I never had a D5, I had a D4s but when I read Steve's review of the D6 his comment on the improvement of focus on incoming got my attention and when I contacted him he recommended a D6 over a D5 unless I could find a barn burner price on a D5 which I could not but found a great price on a like new D6.

I've spent the last two weeks first in Glacier National Park and now on the Northern California coast. I used my 500mm PF for everything, from grizzlies to sea otters to small birds. It worked flawlessly (I missed shots but not because of the lens...). It would be a great choice, lightweight, sharp as heck, fast AF locks on easily for BIF.

I also had my 300 PF (another great lens), but it never came out of the bag.

Hello to everyone!
Just got back from 2.5 weeks in YSNP and GTNP, had a blast as usual. We saw a lot of wildlife - near and far. My set up was the following: The D6 married to the combination of tripod, WH-200 gimbal and 600mm F4. The D500 was interchangeable with 70-200mm F2.8 + 1.4TC. I have two more lenses for landscapes 14-24 and 24-70mm.
For the most part, the tripod with the D6 and 600mm F4 was used as we were driving around and if we see a wildlife, I would pull it out of the car and use it very fast. I took it on the hike with me at GTNP (last year we saw 5 different brown bears on the same hike), this time didn't see a single one (Murphy's law), so I've usually used the 70-200 +1.4TC on most of our hikes since we hiked on average between 6-12 miles.
There were times, however, when the usage of the D6 was hard - no time to pull it out of the car with wildlife disappearing fast, so I used the D500 with 70-200 + 1.4TC instead. Better to use this lens than missed a shot all together. Sometimes, I needed an extra reach, the D500 and 70-200 +1.4TC was not enough.
So, in lieu of this, I believe I need to add a lens between 300-500mm. So, what are your recommendations would be? I don't need another prime for 10K+ lens, so my combination with the D6 and 600F4 will stay the same. The lens I am looking for will be used for wildlife and carrying on hikes.
Ioulia
Understand your dilemma, had the same issue. 500f4 G on one body on floor in back seat, 200-400f4 on second body secured on back seat. Problem was neither setup was a grab and run. Decided to sell the 200-400f4, purchased a 80-400, current version, thought that had it, but. Since then I added a D850 and a 500pf sold the 500f4 G purchased a 600f4 G. Now my setup is D4 or D850 on the 600 on the floor in backseat, D500 on the 80-400 mounted on quick release plate on center console between front seats, D4 or D850 on the 500pf secured on the backseat. Now have two options for grab and run. Occasionally the D 500 will find its way to the 600f4 when I want / need the extra reach.

Hello to everyone!
Ioulia
The Nikkor 500pf is a great lens but you already have the 600mm and either is not cheap.
I like the Nikon lens simulator to show the 500 to 600mm difference "https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/"
My D500 has the 200-500mm on it nearly all the time.
The 600mm is mostly on one of my D850 bodies. And I'm going to retire my D5 soon.

Back