Lens (that are realistic) that I would like to see Nikon make

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

i'm waiting for the 35 1.2 and 135 1.8 that are on the roadmap.

beyond that, i'd really like to see 300mm at f/2.8. optimally the 120-300 f/2.8 refactored, and bonus points if it's a "tc" lens.

Yes a long Macro - ideally a 70-180 f4S or 70-200 f4S. Oh and the 600 f5.6S PF :)

Eventually, there are still missing Telephotos, including the fast 200 f2 and 300 f2.8 (that might well be a 120-300 f2.8S)

Last but not least, a most versatile wildlife lens would be a 300-600 f4.8S TC14, with a 125mm window, or 134mm if a f4.5/6.3.... full coverage from 300 out to 840mm... But it will be heavy, approx 3.5 kg at its lightest

Last but not least, a most versatile wildlife lens would be a 300-600 f4.8S TC14, with a 125mm window, or 134mm if a f4.5/6.3.... full coverage from 300 out to 840mm... But it will be heavy, approx 3.5 kg at its lightest

How about a 200-600 F/5.6 TC?

Here is my wish list of lens in the Z mount (approximately in priority order)

600 F/5.6 (probably PF)
180-400 F/4 TC replacement
Long Macro with tripod collar
70-200 F/4 or similar to complete the F/4 trinity
17 or 19mm TC-E

Lower priority
12-24 F/2.8 or F/4
16 F/1.8 or F/2 for night skies

Probably some other lens that are not top of mind now. I don't have nor do I expect to have a DX camera, so there are no DX lens on my list.

What is on your wish list?
That’s a nice list. I suspect the long PF primes won’t happen as they will launch the 200-600 to fill out that part of a smaller option from f4 primes.

I’d like to see:

Z 200 mm macro and/or a revised Z version of the F mount 70-180 macro zoom (with improved tripod collars)

Revised Z versions of the F mount 300 and 500 mm PF lenses

Z 600 mm f5.6 PF lens (a built-in TC would be nice)

Any lighter Z telephoto lenses (PF or not) with a built-in TC (probably unlikely)

Z 500 mm f4 with a built-in TC (if it loses weight like the Z 400 TC and Z 600 TC lenses did)

Like so many others, the 200 (180) - 600mm, fantasy of it being a S line and fixed focal length, and with the caveat that Nikon gets it out in the same manner as it just did with the Z8 without a 6 -24 month waiting list for orders to be filled. But with the obvious demand that lens has, a long waiting period will probably be unavoidable.

The f-mount 200mm f/4 macro lens is the one I miss the most. Unfortunate that one cannot use the Nikon teleconverters with the S-mount macro lens.
Second lens I would like to see is a 28-300mm f/5.6. The AF-S one was terrific for travel and for shooting video.

A lens I am waiting for is the already announced S-mount 60-600mm lens from Sigma. It will be a great lens for video.

It would have to come with a gym subscription...or a llama....:)
You just need a good friend 😇
AaronRoger.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I’m surprised to see all the 120-300mm requests. Is that for shooting sports?
pretty much. i shoot dog sports and indoors you really need f/2.8. there's a huge gap between 200mm and 400mm, which are the current f/2.8 options.

and a variety of human sports would be the same.

the thing is, that 120-300 is super sharp and fast, so aside from weight and cost, it's kinda a no compromise lens already, so imagine what it would be like if it gets the "s" treatment

How about a 200-600 F/5.6 TC?
300-600 is a 2X Zoom, so rather opt for optimal optics versus the penalties on designing a higher power 3X Zoom.

At least, this is judging from the highest quality super telephoto zooms - namely the 180-400 TC which is 2.2X, but perhaps a 2.5X 240-600 is possible with Z mount architecture! The 2.5X 120-300 f2.8E SR is truly excellent, according to authoritive reviewers.

The furthest Nikon engineers have pushed the Zoom power envelope with shorter focal lengths in telephoto zooms is the venerable 2.89X 70-200, however its current high quality represents several models iterated since the late 1970s. These straddle major eras in optical innovations that improved zooms from undesirable to state of the art lenses.

Last edited:
The heck with realistic…I want a 14-800 f1.8 that is as good at all lengths and apertures as the 600/f4…has a built in 1.4 and 2.0 TC with no degradation and is the size and weight of say the 24-120 and costs $2500…physics be darned. And let’s not forget…fixed aperture and internal zoom.

Here is my wish list of lens in the Z mount (approximately in priority order)

600 F/5.6 (probably PF)
180-400 F/4 TC replacement
Long Macro with tripod collar
70-200 F/4 or similar to complete the F/4 trinity
17 or 19mm TC-E

Lower priority
12-24 F/2.8 or F/4
16 F/1.8 or F/2 for night skies

Probably some other lens that are not top of mind now. I don't have nor do I expect to have a DX camera, so there are no DX lens on my list.

What is on your wish list?
Nikon has committed to having 55+ Z lenses by 2025. Depending on how one counts, there could be as many as fifteen lenses to come which aren’t on the current roadmap.

I’d like a 600mm f/5.6 PF and a 28mm f/1.2 S.

maybe it’s just me, but i can’t help think this sounds better on paper than it will be in real life

be interesting to hear what people think
I'm cautiously optimistic but I do have concerns with how much it could degrade the bare lens when shooting it at the 1x position. The elements are flipping out of the way like with a built-in TC lens. They are still in the image plane, just shifted forwards or backwards. I'm not a fan of 2xTCs anyways so this device would only have value to act as a 1x to 1.4x converter that could be used on existing lenses without having to upgrade lenses to a new "built-in TC" version at extra expense.

But I think I'd still prefer a simple built-in 1.4TC as we have in certain lenses already. Lens designed specifically for that 1.4TC to be inserted and removed into and out of the optical path. Not a do it all, bolt it to any lens, and somehow expect those additional elements aren't going to degrade the native lens' IQ.

maybe it’s just me, but i can’t help think this sounds better on paper than it will be in real life

be interesting to hear what people think
I'm cautiously optimistic but I do have concerns with how much it could degrade the bare lens when shooting it at the 1x position. The elements are flipping out of the way like with a built-in TC lens. They are still in the image plane, just shifted forwards or backwards. I'm not a fan of 2xTCs anyways so this device would only have value to act as a 1x to 1.4x converter that could be used on existing lenses without having to upgrade lenses to a new "built-in TC" version at extra expense.

But I think I'd still prefer a simple built-in 1.4TC as we have in certain lenses already. Lens designed specifically for that 1.4TC to be inserted and removed into and out of the optical path. Not a do it all, bolt it to any lens, and somehow expect those additional elements aren't going to degrade the native lens' IQ.
i can't help but think this would work better as a single power tc. ie, just 1 <-> 1.4x and you can do a different version for ... hey, maybe 1.4 <-> 2.0x.

Back