LensCoat -- yay or nay

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I've got a LenCoat for my 180-400 and have it put on, but an observation/question, now:

-- I'm thinking it's going to make cleaning the lens a PIA. e.g. remvoing sand, salt residue and other detritus, etc, not to mention drying the lens, given to do either properly the coat will have to come off and that means I think the removal of the lens foot (since such was required for installing the coat) and I'm about to loctite the foot into place.... I think typing that I just answered my own question but would like to hear your experience.

Just a note, the final section (camera end of the lens) of the coat, meant to cover the 'buttons' section with little plastic windows is functionally useless on this lens as while switching the built in TC switch itself or the TC lock are technically possible with the coat in place, such actions are not possible with a simple right hand reaching out with a finger while face is stuck viewfinder as the TC switch is designed and placed. I suppose removing (cutting out) the window is an option if I hadn't already decided to simply likely just use the hood section :)

I used to be yay, now I'm nay - mostly for the reasons you mention. It was especially bad in CR. It would rain, then lens would get wet but it didn't want to dry due to the humidity. So, under the leans cost it would just be...wet. In addition, as the water on the lens coat slowly evaporated, it also cooled the lens down and in the high humidity of CR - caused lens fogging! One day when we were out I had enough and introduced the lens coat to my pocket knife and I've been far happier ever since.

One alternative I have been using is medical wrap camp "tape". It's not sticky, breaks up the pattern and is more breathable. Here's what I have on my Sony 600:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WTKCRTT/?tag=backcogaller-20

Plus, when a bear bits your arm, you can use it to wrap badges 😮

One alternative I have been using is medical wrap camp "tape". It's not sticky, breaks up the pattern and is more breathable.
Nice solution. We use Coban sports wrap like this all the time on ski patrol but I've never seen it in camo. It's pretty handy stuff that has no gummy adhesive to leave residue but sticks to itself just fine.

FWIW, I still use Lenscoat products but mostly as scratch and ding resistance and I generally don't use all the supplied pieces. In particular I don't use the pieces that cover up the controls. Some of my lenses have the camo lenscoats because they came that way but I'm just as happy with the black covers to provide some bump and scratch resistance and really every inch of the lens, particularly the narrower portions with the controls don't need so much protection from bumps and scratches.

I used to be yay, now I'm nay - mostly for the reasons you mention. It was especially bad in CR. It would rain, then lens would get wet but it didn't want to dry due to the humidity. So, under the leans cost it would just be...wet. In addition, as the water on the lens coat slowly evaporated, it also cooled the lens down and in the high humidity of CR - caused lens fogging! One day when we were out I had enough and introduced the lens coat to my pocket knife and I've been far happier ever since.

One alternative I have been using is medical wrap camp "tape". It's not sticky, breaks up the pattern and is more breathable. Here's what I have on my Sony 600:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WTKCRTT/?tag=backcogaller-20

Plus, when a bear bits your arm, you can use it to wrap badges 😮
Thanks for confirming what became very evident to me in my just vacuumed, dry apartment; not a product that's going to make life better in wet or dirty conditions :) And LOL re practicality of the tape in event of bear bite. :ROFLMAO:

Nice solution. We use Coban sports wrap like this all the time on ski patrol but I've never seen it in camo. It's pretty handy stuff that has no gummy adhesive to leave residue but sticks to itself just fine.

FWIW, I still use Lenscoat products but mostly as scratch and ding resistance and I generally don't use all the supplied pieces. In particular I don't use the pieces that cover up the controls. Some of my lenses have the camo lenscoats because they came that way but I'm just as happy with the black covers to provide some bump and scratch resistance and really every inch of the lens, particularly the narrower portions with the controls don't need so much protection from bumps and scratches.
Yah, I thought to keep the bigger pieces on as they seem easy to pull off. I've also got a camo scrim soft tarp that I can throw over the lens and around the tripod legs.

Thanks for confirming what became very evident to me in my just vacuumed, dry apartment; not a product that's going to make life better in wet or dirty conditions :)
LOL, you learned that lesson way faster than I did! Had Lens Coats on for years. Although it wasn't too bad until Costa Rica. Plus, the lenses are just more fun to use without constantly pulling at the cover :)

LOL, you learned that lesson way faster than I did! Had Lens Coats on for years. Although it wasn't too bad until Costa Rica. Plus, the lenses are just more fun to use without constantly pulling at the cover :)
Having lived in a very humid city for years in the past where nothing dries including one's self after a shower, and having in my life resorting to pouring (carefully?) fresh water over a lens and camera to clean the salt residue off, after shooting whales in a Zodiak a couple of times, and 'dusting' everything to removed sand several times after shooting wake boarders, I'm not sure how I didn't think of it just looking at the product photos LOL

I recently watched this video that shows an alternative to LC to avoid the water trapping problem. Will still provide some camo and will prevent scratches but you have to do some work measuring and cutting. A friend of mine owns a sign shop so he has actually printed patterns and cut them for me that use a similar 3M product.
I've found that Nikon lenses are pretty safe to leave unprotected and being black don't really stand out like Canon and Sony bright white. I was easily scratching off paint on my Canon lenses but never had issue with the Nikon material.

I use them but I'm not out in the rain much. If I do go out in the rain, I have Think Tank rain gear. Where I do find the lens coats to be helpful is keeping the lens temps down in the summer sun. Black lenses have gotten very hot to the touch and the lens coats keep them noticably cooler.

I use them but I'm not out in the rain much. If I do go out in the rain, I have Think Tank rain gear. Where I do find the lens coats to be helpful is keeping the lens temps down in the summer sun. Black lenses have gotten very hot to the touch and the lens coats keep them noticably cooler.
I've always wondered what the big deal is about "black". As some of said - it gets HOT. Wish that SKB, like Pelican, made their cases in a color other than Black. I can only imagine how hot they will be in AZ January - March, if I were to leave the case (extra stuff, including possibly second body) in the car, while we go for a 6-8 day trip on a train, bus or hike?

I recently watched this video that shows an alternative to LC to avoid the water trapping problem. Will still provide some camo and will prevent scratches but you have to do some work measuring and cutting. A friend of mine owns a sign shop so he has actually printed patterns and cut them for me that use a similar 3M product.
I've found that Nikon lenses are pretty safe to leave unprotected and being black don't really stand out like Canon and Sony bright white. I was easily scratching off paint on my Canon lenses but never had issue with the Nikon material.

Very interesting - just ordered a few feet to try it out :) Thanks!

I bought one for my big lens just for protection... if Im out in the rain or snow I'll have a cover over it ... I do the same as DR don't use all the covers.

AND they've got winter camo for those of us in the Great White North with our potential for 6 months of snow cover! Thanks.

Very interesting - just ordered a few feet to try it out :) Thanks!
I did as well. It's less than the Lens Coat and they have more patterns to choose from. I like the look of the grassy pattern, looks alot like the salt marshes. I cut the clear areas out of the lens coat to give me access to the switches. I think I'll try this stuff on my 200-500, it doesn't have anything on it now. If I like it, I'll shed the LC on the 500 and 600.
Overall, though, at least for Nikon's black lenses, I think that big single eye (the lens opening) looking at wildlife is more concerning to them than what the camo might be covering.

I did as well. It's less than the Lens Coat and they have more patterns to choose from. I like the look of the grassy pattern, looks alot like the salt marshes. I cut the clear areas out of the lens coat to give me access to the switches. I think I'll try this stuff on my 200-500, it doesn't have anything on it now. If I like it, I'll shed the LC on the 500 and 600.
Overall, though, at least for Nikon's black lenses, I think that big single eye (the lens opening) looking at wildlife is more concerning to them than what the camo might be covering.
I ordered the same one. Great minds and all :)
And I agree 10000% on the "big eye". I think that makes a much bigger difference. I can't tell you the number of times I'm with an animal and everything is fine until I point the lens.

I ordered the same one. Great minds and all :)
And I agree 10000% on the "big eye". I think that makes a much bigger difference. I can't tell you the number of times I'm with an animal and everything is fine until I point the lens.
Given the amount of time I hang around the marshes the grassy one seems closest. I would like one with a little more green in it as none of the current options are really good for this area. The exception being this year since the lack of rain has everything brown........it's 2020 so no surprize!! At least the asteroid hasn't hit..........yet.....

I'll be ordering this stuff too but as a stop gap on a white lens of mine I'm using a thickish hiking sock cut to a length which covers just the far end of the lens when it's resting on a shelf or window ledge.

I just ordered some of this stuff to try as well... if it works as well as he says I'll change out when winter hits.. @gbodave I used to have a 400 2.8 lens and I used a thigh brace for the lens hoods... LOL. anything that works!

If I had the white Canon or Sony lenses then I would be more concerned about masking for them. With the black Nikon lenses this seems far less important and the photographer is more likely to spook critters. I have the Lenscoat on my 600mm f/4 and bought a kit for the 500mm PF lens but I have not put it on.

Where practical, using one of the portable blinds or something like the Lenscoat LensHide, is going to be more effective than a two legged photographer holding a well camouflaged lens.

I have one on a Sigma 150-500mm, and although it is camo I didn't buy it for that. One day out shooting surfing (I live in Hawaii) I noticed the black lens got really hot to the touch in the sun. Seems to work well for insulation from the sun. I haven't had any issues with moisture getting in, but it normally isn't that humid here, certainly not like the south east US gets. Not sure if the medical tape would do as well, but might be worth a try.

Morning, I have never used lens coat on my camera lenses, but as I live in bush in Kenya, I always keep a protective cover on them, which is easy to remove. although can be frustrating when changing functions. Medical tape sounds like a good idea, I have seen it with a camouflage pattern on it.

Hi there,
I guess there are 3 options,
1 - " Neoprene " LensCoat
-looks good
-great for ding protection
-hopeless in a rain forrest, neoprene absorbs water.......fogged up lens
2 - LensCoat RainCoat
-Looks good (always important! :))
-Keeps most of the water off, easy to remove at end of a shoot, and dry lens
-I do not put back in case until fully dry
3 -Naked
- no good, keep getting bitten by bugs

I tend to use them more for protection as opposed to camouflage. Tramping around in the woods or bouncing around in the truck can easily scratch up the body of a lens. Same with always keeping the lens hood on. I think it helps with resale value when the time comes. There might be some camouflage value but for me that's secondary.

Several of you have ordered the Mossy stuff; will wait for your reviews until I order (shipping to Canada costs more than the product) before buying as I look at a heap of unused Len$ Coat on a shelf near me LOL

Back