LensCoat -- yay or nay

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I did not find any sticky residual when I had to remove a section to re-position. That doesn't mean it won't leave residual over time, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I've decided for now to re-install the LensCoat over the focus ring and outer barrel (rubber, textured grip). I can't see how this stuff will conform to ridges nor stick to rubber. I'd say the Mossy Oak stuff is good for lens hoods and other hard surfaces that aren't tapered unless you want to spend a lot of time making patterns and custom cutting. Maybe heating and stretching would help, I'm just reluctant to point a blow dryer at $10K+ worth of lens.

Thanks for starting this topic. It's really interesting.

I use LC on all my big lenses for years now, even on tripods and gimbal. I also have the rain cover that I use all the time on my 500 f/4. So I never had the sand or water issue.
But I imagine it can be an issue. I also agree to the fact that in the time, the neoprene is pealing a bit, the plastic part on the AF, IS... buttons is useless. Makes it difficult to switch on and off...

This tape looks great, I just can't imagine how much it'll cost to ship this to Europe...

Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us!

Thanks for this; was wondering as were others about the ridged rings.... So I'm gonna save my cash. The LC bit will stay on the hood and for 'protection' I'll have to rely on my being careful (oh oh! :)). As for camo, while pictured here is my ghillie jacket, I have a 3d camo small tarp (in the car at the moment) that I plan to throw over the cam and tripod in this fashion. It's weightless and I've already carried the cam on tripod on shoulder with it and it wasn't particularly in the way, at all, and easy to get my left arm under and drom under without thought.

View attachment 5843
Your Door in the background is 100% dead on! ghillie jacket and some Como cloth to throw over the tripod is coming soon.

Your Door in the background is 100% dead on! ghillie jacket and some Como cloth to throw over the tripod is coming soon.
Yah the door is my work life's philosophy; made things interesting when applying the approach up the ladder LOL The ghillie outfit I got from Tragopan; the cloth I got on Amazon for a few bucks.

I did my 500pf today. I think it came out pretty good.

PXL_20201007_195018879.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

" I can report the tougher camo tape works well - brand I use is called Gorilla Tape, including to patch / replace a fraying Lenscoat. Basically a kind of camo duct-tape, and very tough. "

I put camo duct tape (from another manufacturer) on the steel boxes in which I have my camera traps. After a while the green portions turned blue (presumably from sun exposure). When I took it off it left a very messy sticky residue that was EXTREMELY difficult to remove, I eventually removed it but I would NEVER use that tape, or any similar tape, on an expensive lens.

There may be some value in covering a white telephoto lens to camouflage it, but black lens barrels won't be perceived as a threat by wild birds or mammals -- it wouldn't appear out of the ordinary to any creature used to seeing dead barkless limbs. Many species may perceive the lens pointing at them as a large "eye", but there's no way to disguise that other than a lens hood reducing any reflection from the front lens element. Protecting the lens from scratches or bumps is another matter, so a neoprene cover may be worth the expense -- or maybe not.

I see the first lens on that companies camo covers is a macro lens. :unsure:

If you haven't already started, do we get before, during and after shots or even a tutorial video (must be up to @Steve's level :) )? Could help others who may be planning on doing it.
Don't know about the video... unless my son wants to put something together... I'm not sure when Im going to get started on this though, I might not have time this weekend. But I can throw something together... when I do wrap it.

Looks great. It looks like you also covered the buttons at the front barrel of the lens. Do you just operate them through the film or did you cut around the buttons and just kept the camo on them ?
Thanks. I don't regularly use the front buttons. Occasionally I'll set one and they do still activate through the covering as it's thin enough.

I will not pay out on another lenscoat as they are poorly made considering the cost. Edges fray and split. The product from this UK outfitters is much better, as proper hems etc using double herring/blanket stitches on all the edges. Their 80-400 G cover has held up well. This company also makes excellent lightweight camouflaged hides, and netting/sheeting, which has lasted well.

I can report the tougher camo tape works well - brand I use is called Gorilla Tape, including to patch / replace a fraying Lenscoat. Basically a kind of camo duct-tape, and very tough. It's much better than the medical stuff, which comes loose after some weeks usage...well at least the stuff I bought, trademarked 'Camo Form'. Gunshops here in S Africa stock both types, as it's used for anti-poaching units on their assault rifles besides hunters.

Outdoor PG in UK also sell a similar product and a self-cling camo tape
I had LensCoat on my long Canon lenses and I switched to the UK product for my Sony 200-600. This product is both better and cheaper than LensCoat, IMO.

I didn't see this particular brand mentioned, but my 300 F/4 AF-D lens cover just arrived from a UK based company named Lenscamo - https://lenscamo.co.uk/. I looked in to the Lenscoat brand but I found them to be very overpriced, plus their cover for the 300 F/4 D doesn't even cover the lens hood when it's extended. The Lenscamo cover fits beautifully with the hood extended, seems to be made from high quality materials, and only cost me about $30 shipped to the US.
IMG_20210214_123625806_HDR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I put my new lens coat on my new 500 PF last night and it fits nicely :cool:

I have been using the Lencoat protection for several years on all my long focal lengths and have never had any problems, not even with lens fogging.
I also have the lens coat rain protection, very convenient and practical.

Sure, LensCoat's products aren't cheap, but neither are our precious lenses, so personally, I've never looked for more affordable alternatives.

I find that having a neoprene layer that protects my lenses' body is very important for several factors.
For the kind of nature photography that I practice, which is at least 50% of cases inside the woods, having protection from possible scratches caused by branches or others while walking is important. Not to mention that it is not always possible to keep my hands perfectly clean, and having additional protection that repairs the paint or plastic of my equipment makes me live more comfortable.

Some time ago I sold my 500mm to a dear friend to upgrade to the 600, and he removed the protection because he didn't like it, and under it, the lens it was practically new as if it had just left the factory.

I have come back several times with the kit completely wet, and not just the photographic equipment. However, it has never been a problem for me.
When it happens, I dry all with an old towel I keep for those occasions, I remove the Lenscoat protection and put it to dry.
Then I put the camera body without the filler cap and the lens without the caps, inside a carton box with a moisture-absorbing kit and the tablet, after a while, usually 6/8 hours, all moisture was collected.

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00GOTNK58/

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B077T8BLGG/

Obviously, if I leave home knowing I will encounter bad weather, I use rain protection, but it can also happen to fall or sink into fresh snow on a bright sunny day, filling up with snow and I cannot predict that.

Another good advice that I allow myself to give is to store the lenses placed horizontally and never vertically as is often the case by leaving them inside the backpacks. If left vertically for a long time, with the change of temperature and seasons' evolution, the grease used to lubricate the focusing helicoid, deposits in the lower part anticipating the AF whistle's classic problem caused precisely by the inadequate lubrication. It is a problem that can be solved by sending the lens for assistance, but the later it shows up, the better.

I had a LensCoat on my 200-500 and 500 PF. They both wore out, frayed, etc. LensCoat customer service blamed it on putting my camera in the case. Like I wasn't supposed to.
At a friend's suggestion I tried RolanPro--thicker, more velcro so stretching each piece is much easier. A year later no fraying or wear and tear. Less expensive than LensCoat.

Back