Life expectancy of mirrorless cameras (Z8 , Z9)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Len

I don't know about MacBook Pro, so my experience only worked on MacBook Air, the early 2014 version.

Here is how I did it:

1 ) Back up your files, programs, and Apple ID, if there is any recovery information, write it down.

2 ) Download MacOS image files, there are plenty of those around on the Internet,

3 ) Put the file on a USB drive,

4 ) Boot from the USB drive, do a clean install.

NOTE: if you need to download files, best to run it from ethernet, the Macbook WiFi is just slow.

Oliver
Once the macOS installer is downloaded…need to change step 3…a bootable drive needs to be created…google Ventura (or whatever macOS version is being used) bootable installer and that will lead to some instructions. There used to be an app you could download that did it all…but the last couple of years the instructions have been the appropriate terminal commands along with detailed notes on what to and what to copy and paste into the terminal window. Once that’s done…voot from the USB stick with the instructions for tha5 included with the above and run the installer from the booted USB stick.

Lacking a mechanical shutter the life of the camera should be in decades. The mount is not going to change or the electronic interface for lenses. The comparison to Apple is not apt as Apple periodically releases a new operating system that cannot be applied to a prior generation of computers, ipads, or iphones.

With Nikon it is only a matter of when they stop providing firmware updates or run out of parts for a discontinued camera model. This would be a concern if investing in a consumer camera like a D780 or D850 and less so for a D5 or D6 camera.

The short answer is you will likely upgrade things before you even get to anywhere near your use by date.

If you have never gotten close to a shutter use by date on your DSLR don't even worry about your mirror less cameras.

Again Usually we jump on a new model camera or update before issues arise or the meter runs out LOL.

The newer electronic mirror less cameras make us more spray and shoot type photographers.

Mirror less cameras do have some form of a use by date like any electronics.

Lots of images reflected on a sensor would over time anneal or cause some sort of degradation how ever small i assume similar to solar panels that loose their efficiency over long periods more so from heat and cold not just UV alone.

Electronic components do have a life limit, ie: like the round tower caps on a mother board, some are often designed to wear/burn out after so many hours and usually built in as a use by date depending on the product and application, you can tell when the flat top of a cap starts to swell or curve and puff up, you know its on its way out and may cause a board failure, the cheaper the component the less life or higher risk of failure exists.

DRY JOINTS are a major issue in electronics, caused by age or more so poor QC in production, they can cause intermittent issues or progressive failure or instant failure that disrupt the operation of software causing many strange issues, the list is endless. ie: out of a thousand manufactured units you may see a small number of problematic samples caused by dry or cold solder joints that have gotten through production undetected at that point in time and will likly be dealt with when retrained as a faulty or problimatic item.

Usually with Electronics if your going to have issues its often initially of not at all.

Finding the issue or fixing it is sometimes hard and costly, deadly in cost if its major or out of warranty.

Several of my CPUs in my 30 year old Ford with 860,000 klm have been refreshed fully, all age related as new CPUs are not available anymore. One CPU failed so i stripped all of them out and had them full refreshed for peace of mind, around $500 each.

The bottom line is there is nothing to worry about with actuation's in mirror less cameras other than if the manufacturer of any goods has a spate or history of QC issues hopefully detected under warranty.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
The whole business concept of Nikon is to make and sell hardware. And to convince YOU to buy it.
As many units as they possibly can. Fast.

And if they don't - THEY DIE.

Bye bye Nikon
I hear you and yes its a good point, but prefer to look at it objectively.....

In nature the weak are left behind so the stronger gene pool survives for the health and survival of the species.

Letting other the key players do the R and D and investment then follow along with a me to agonizingly later saves a lot of money.

Nikon is defiantly putting lots of money away and into some infrastructure like a green head office worth millions and millions, yet while cutting costs and increasing margins seems logical and i used to get paid to do it to please stakeholders with high expectations, it should never be at the expense of cutting QC or causing trust issues or brand damage.

I think the last two years hasn't been all that enjoyable from a consumer perspective, especially in time and trust.

Nikon has caught up closer to Sony and Canon recently and holding 3rd position in my opinion, now Sony and Canon are moving ahead possibly with some quantum change it seems, with Nikon no doubt will be offering updated pro level cameras again soon, so the question begs to be asked, will we be trailing behind again and playing catch up again, now i don't mind that so much, but QC, design or trust issues is not what should be included in the pro level products like has gone by over the past 18monmths plus, just don't want to keep going through that again, its so unnecessary and really unavoidable.

Its so insignificant in cost to manage QC protocols properly.........its arrogant to let them occur.

If Nikon went Bye Bye so be it.........they don't have much market share left anyway unless i am mistaken.

And i am a Nikon owner and supporter..........but have a standard.
Yes most companies have some form of issues, but that's no real excuse as standards will drop.

Only an opinion

I have seen a Z9 with almost 5 million "shutter" count. It will be like any other electronic. You will never know. I have seen old Sylvannia TVs last 5 years and some from the 70s/80s still going today.
The trick will be to send in the Z9/Z8 once every 18-24 months for a cleaning and a general check including an AF system check/recalibration to keep it in working order. Not dissimilar to a car needing a tune up and some regular maintenance.
A Z9 with a ‘5 Million Shutter count… That’s a serious example of spraying & praying right there! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
What type of photography does he do Eric?

I agree it should last a long time but still there are wear and fatigue factors. So you push a shutter button, how does the camera get the message that you want to take a picture? Or you spin a wheel, how does it know? Doesn't something have to slide against something else? At least enough to evoke a change in potential? And there would have to be a tiny spring in there to make the button return to the up position. Nothing is free of friction. No spring has infinite actuations, though it seems it should last forever.

I’ve had my Z9 since January 2022 and used it heavily. To your point, the rear scroll wheel is wearing out and needs service. It often requires 2 or more clicks to advance a setting or advance an image when reviewing. Not a major issue, but enough to require service with attendant shipping and possible repair costs plus time without the camera.

I’ve had my Z9 since January 2022 and used it heavily. To your point, the rear scroll wheel is wearing out and needs service. It often requires 2 or more clicks to advance a setting or advance an image when reviewing. Not a major issue, but enough to require service with attendant shipping and possible repair costs plus time without the camera.
I had the same thing happen to me, I sent it in and also had them do a general AF check/recalibration. Cost me $450 since mine was out of the one year warranty (bought Jan 2022). You're at least the 5th person claiming the same issue with the rear command dial of not being responsive for each click

I had the same thing happen to me, I sent it in and also had them do a general AF check/recalibration. Cost me $450 since mine was out of the one year warranty (bought Jan 2022). You're at least the 5th person claiming the same issue with the rear command dial of not being responsive for each click
Old is Gold

In the DSLR world, we got a shutter count, and usually, the camera will reach about 150k to 400k actuations. So in theory, you can use your DSLR for 10 years or more.

I am curious about what we can expect from mirrorless cameras (Z8 and Z9 without shutter), how long will all electronics work, etc.

I am aware no one has the exact answer, but just in general, do you think those mirrorless cameras will have a shorter life (BCS of more complex electronics, etc) or do you think it will potentially work fine just as long as DSLRs?

Many thx for your answers and opinions in advance.
My guess is that if the camera is well taken care of it will last at least as long as DSLR's and will be obsolete well before they give out. Should you want to keep using a Z8/9 well into the future make sure you have batteries and memory cards that are compatible with these models as they will become obsolete as well.

One thing worries me with my Z9 once out of warranty and say it dies, bricks or has a major hissy fit again, it will likely be a real lot of pain in the hip pocket.

Only an opinion

10k in one day!… Wow, that is a lot of images to go through when you get home!
It wasn't too bad, since I can cull pretty quick with practice (find a good shot in the burst, skip to next burst, etc), but it wasn't fun particularly either. I over shot a lot, but I'm used to it with atmospherics having a massive impact (warm/hot day, over tarmac, etc). I'll try to do better next year (as I'll probably shoot another 10k)

no, it took me several attempts over several days to cull. i can't remember the shooting breakdown, it wasn't even, it was like 12/8 or something, but i culled it as one block since it was a single event

I did mine in two stages, one quick pass through and then a second one to get more picky. I'm sure I'll hit 20k images or more to go through at some point (vacation time, probably), but it's gonna be rough.

yah, usually i do a multi pass as well. my main problem is i tend to do it in LR and that's not super fast. i've really been resisting photo mechanic :-D it's possible i broke down and used PM for that one, i don't remember

Back