Lightroom vs Lightroom Classic

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm currently using Lightroom and am considering moving to Lightroom Classic as I understand there are more controls and functions. The package with Adobe also comes with Photoshop and I like the idea of saving my photos locally.

Any thoughts on the better of the two is great appropriated.

There was a long recent thread on this:

The two are more aligned now with Lightroom allowing editing of local files. I am pretty sure with the Photography plans you have access to LR and LRC. So why not, you choose. Plus PS is great for those images you just want extra attention too. LRC does have Maps module that LR lacks.

Both work…but long story short LR is currently less capable than LrC, but is continually getting new features. I foresee them eventually coalescing into a single product personally…and LR is a lot better than when first released…but if 3rd party add ons are part of your normal PP then ypu can’t use them in LR unless you export to PS and then use the add on there…but that puts you into the huge TIFF and no DNG/RAW files…its easy to turn a 60MP Z file into an 800MB TIFF with layers. Some people make a whole to do about the catalog in LrC and the dangers of corruption…but it’s no more likely to be corrupted than any other file and backups solve that anyway…and understanding that it’s a catalog database and not the actual images (and not to move or rename outside of LrC) is pretty easy to understand…there is waaay too much hysteria and hand wringing over the evils of the catalog.

Back