Locking The Floating Focus Box for Z9?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Feiertag

I was looking for advice on how to lock the focus box from moving when you accidentally touch the sub-selector. I have tried to find the answer in the manual and a Google search but to no avail.

I have LOCK on my QUAL button. I hit the QUAL button and the joystick and the function box is locked. Am I missing something?
Oops - I forgot about that one (I guess if you don't use it, you lose it :) )

Yes, that would work.

To the OP, there's a little trick to it though. Once you assign a button for it, it can lock the shutter speed, F/stop, or focus point. To lock the focus point, press the assigned button then press the left and right sides of the multi-selector to lock and unlock. The downside is that it throws up a notice that the AF point is locked each time you accidentally press it.

I have LOCK on my QUAL button. I hit the QUAL button and the joystick and the function box is locked. Am I missing something?
I set the lock up, because when I carry a Z 9 on a BR (camera set to manual w/ auto ISO), I find the aperture often at F29 or similar. I must be turning the front dial, though I am not aware of it. To prevent that, I needed a quick method to lock the control.

Yes, that would work.

To the OP, there's a little trick to it though. Once you assign a button for it, it can lock the shutter speed, F/stop, or focus point. To lock the focus point, press the assigned button then press the left and right sides of the multi-selector to lock and unlock. The downside is that it throws up a notice that the AF point is locked each time you accidentally press it.
Thanks, Steve, I tried it out and I don't care for the notice. I will live with it the way it is.

Yes, that would work.

For the record, I found this feature described in a Nikon Canada video - it's one of the Z9 Hidden Features, not surprisingly!

I was looking for advice on how to lock the focus box from moving when you accidentally touch the sub-selector. I have tried to find the answer in the manual and a Google search but to no avail.

I has not been possible since the LOCK slider was not included in Mirrorless - it is present in most Pro level DSLRs.

As also described in the Nikon Canada video, I have assigned Fn4 (Lock) button back-camera on both my Z9's, top-left to lock the Focus point. Not surprisingly, 3D tracking still functions, but the cursor position of other focusing modes (Group Area etc, as well as Single-Point) is locked.

Definitely one of Nikon's more arcane menu setups, being 2 step and the Nikon Manual doesn't explain the trick to work it - as Steve has.....

My main reason I've been experimenting with this F4 control lock setting (for AF only) is to learn how it interacts with Focus Persistence.... Long story short, the focus point will handover to C1 or C2 from 3D but jumps back to the Locked position if released (using BBAF)

Yes, that would work.

Last edited:
What @SHarris said - Custom Setting Menu, F4, Control Lock - 3rd (bottom) on the list is focus lock, turn ON
Tick Focus box to Yes

Then select which button controls LOCK in Custom settings F2 ;

In practice, press LOCK, with the Multi-Selector to toggle On/Off.

!Note!! Even if Shutter speed and Aperture are turned Off in F4, they can still be locked if turned while depressing the Lock button. This mistake is easy to make if the F6 setting is also turned On.

Last edited:
Back