Looking for an underseat airline bag reccomendation

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was looking at reviews for the Think Tank 26L and came across this guy... Did he really just take an (almost) $300 pack and slice it open and remove the foam so he could turn it into a standard $100 day pack??? o_O:oops::rolleyes::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

But it does cause me to ask the question, does the 26L not compress at ALL, is it as stiff and impossible as he makes it sound? I feel like I could generally compress foam with the compression straps if I actually wanted to. IDK.

26L "Pack Hack"
Interesting video... Since he's not using the pack as intended, I agree he should have just purchased a much cheaper backpack not designed for photography.

One of the nice features of this pack is being able to keep it on your hips and spin it on your body to access the gear without having to put anything on the ground. This is great in wet, snowy and muddy locations. I avoided a lot of penguin poop smears when changing lenses on South Georgia Island with this feature, but I suppose it would have added to the patina of the pack if I hadn't.

When I fly, the pack is loaded with my camera bodies, long and wide angle lenses, batteries and binoculars, all of which are the thickness of the pad anyway. I fold and click the waist straps over the back of the pack when boarding and just carry it with the shoulder strap on one side. Even flying on notoriously strict airlines, I've never had anyone raise concerns about the pack size (thankfully they never weight it!). I don't overstuff the back with extra clothing as I just wear layers on the plane and shed them depending upon comfort. I do have a thin laptop inside. I've honestly never had difficulty fitting it under the seat in front of me and I can usually still get a foot on either side of it once stowed.

I was looking at reviews for the Think Tank 26L and came across this guy... Did he really just take an (almost) $300 pack and slice it open and remove the foam so he could turn it into a standard $100 day pack??? o_O:oops::rolleyes::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

But it does cause me to ask the question, does the 26L not compress at ALL, is it as stiff and impossible as he makes it sound? I feel like I could generally compress foam with the compression straps if I actually wanted to. IDK.

26L "Pack Hack"

Well, you don't WANT the foam to compress since it is there to protect your lenses and camera bodies. This guy is modifying the pack to meet his needs, but his mods would never work for those of us with longer lenses. I can easily fit a light jacket and tech shirt in the bag along with my gear, no problem. The velcro dividers can be rearranged or removed as needed for whatever you want to put in the bag. I think this person's modifications are pretty silly, as you said, because another bag is really what this guy wants. :)

Last edited:

26L "Pack Hack"
It is pretty stiff. I have never tried to compress it, but I don't think it would compress easily. And since that stiffness provides protection I wouldn't want to.

I have a larger Osprey backpack that I use with a cube. its a good setup and I like there stuff. Is your smaller one a rucksack or does it have a frame? what cube do you use?
None of mine have frames. I have not used any cubes in these bags, though I have thought about looking at the smaller Peak Design ones as an option. I have a large Peak Design cube that I use when I am packing more gear. If using smaller lenses, I use a homemade soft, protective bag that I put the camera and lens in and toss it in the bag. When using a longer lens, I normally just slide the camera and lens in the bag making sure nothing is going to hit it within the bag.

It is pretty stiff. I have never tried to compress it, but I don't think it would compress easily. And since that stiffness provides protection I wouldn't want to.
Yeah... I can see that. But even the thickest padding in a Lowepro 60L is a little bit flexible. I'm assuming this would be too... like the dividers on an Airport Security...
None of mine have frames. I have not used any cubes in these bags, though I have thought about looking at the smaller Peak Design ones as an option. I have a large Peak Design cube that I use when I am packing more gear. If using smaller lenses, I use a homemade soft, protective bag that I put the camera and lens in and toss it in the bag. When using a longer lens, I normally just slide the camera and lens in the bag making sure nothing is going to hit it within the bag.
FWIW... In my Osprey pack I just bought a cheap G-Raphy cube on amazon. It works great and its about $30

Well, you don't WANT the foam to compress since it is there to protect your lenses and camera bodies. This guy is modifying the pack to meet his needs, but his mods would never work for those of us with longer lenses. I can easily fit a light jacket and tech shirt in the bag along with my gear, no problem. The velcro dividers can be rearranged or removed as needed for whatever you want to put in the bag. I think this person's modifications are pretty silly, as you said, because another bag is really what this guy wants. :)
It does need to be flexible though... He acts like it's a hard case or something. He's free to modify how he chooses, of course. At least he acknowledges his mod will void the warranty (as it should).

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, everyone. I ended up ordering a Backlite 18L from Hunts just a few minutes ago... Matt at Hunts agreed it would fit all my gear and be about right for what I wanted... I love those folks at Hunts. Always knowledgable, good selection of gear or will get you what you want, and faasat/free shipping. If you dont shop there, I highly recommend them!

Thanks again everyone!

I use the Gura Gear Bataflae 18L which usually fits under the seat and has a compartment for my netbook. The aisle seats often have a bracket that blocks most bags from sliding under the seat.

The best value at this time are the Ruggard backpacks sold by B&H. The Ruggard Thunderbird 35 backpack is small enough to fit under the seat with its exterior dimensions of 15.25 x 12 x 8 inches. If the height is 16 inches or less it will not stick out in front of the seat and so no problems with the flight attendants.

I use the Gura Gear Bataflae 18L which usually fits under the seat and has a compartment for my netbook. The aisle seats often have a bracket that blocks most bags from sliding under the seat.

The best value at this time are the Ruggard backpacks sold by B&H. The Ruggard Thunderbird 35 backpack is small enough to fit under the seat with its exterior dimensions of 15.25 x 12 x 8 inches. If the height is 16 inches or less it will not stick out in front of the seat and so no problems with the flight attendants.
Thanks! I never looked at the B&H bag... Ill have to check it out!

I haven't seen a reference to Briggs and Riley. I have one that I just recently used on a trip in economy and it fit perfectly under the seat (in front of me). They are more expensive but extremely well built and designed with a life time guarantee. I got a D5 with lens in it, plus a toilet kit and some other things. It's the ZDX Cargo Backpack.

Chad, I am another supporter of the ThinkTank MindShift Backlight 18L. I’ve had mine for almost 3-years now and it goes with me on every outing. I can easily fit my D5, 500mmPF, 300mmPF, and either 24-70mm or 70-200mm, and still have room for extra batteries, filters, etc - and that’s just the main compartment. I put lens cleaning accessories, small tools, etc, in the main compartment lid. I don’t carry a laptop, but there is room for a small one like an iPad, as well as, a pocket in front for small items such as cards, pen, paper, accessories, etc. Then there is another nicely size pocket on the front. I also put two carabiners through the loops on front. This allows me to either hang the bag on my tripod for extra weight, or hand it out of the way off the ground. At the top of the bag is a strap used in conjunction with the tripod holder on the bottom to carry your tripod vertically in front of the bag. There are also water bottle holders on each side that could be used for easier lens acquisition out in the field. I mean, honestly, the bag has almost endless possibilities. Also, when worn correctly, no need to remove to get to your equipment . Just remove from around arms, slide around to the front, and open like you were standing at a desk. Just remember - the bigger the bag, the more you’ll put in it - the heavier it will get. Hope this helps. Just my opinion….

I like the Atlas camera packs. I have the athlete and my husband has the adventure. https://atlaspacks.com/
I have the travel belt for flying, pack the larger belt in the checked luggage most of the time. Metal frame comes out for travel as well to make it pack down better which I also put in my checked baggage. I like the extra comfort when I’m our shooting all day of the frame and padded hip belt.

I first got a lowepro and then needed something bigger so got a think tank. After that came the atlas and I’ve had it a few years and it’s my favorite.

Last edited:
I've been following this closely.
From a ThinkTank/Mindshift perspective...
If it's an issue of fitting a lot of gear under an airline seat, I'd go with the Mindshift 26 L.
If hiking with gear on your back is more important, where your binoculars and camera will not be inside the pack (presumably hanging on your body) , I'd go with the 18L

I have three different Osprey backpacks in different sizes I use for that sort of thing and depending on what I’m bringing. Based on what you said your use is, I’d probably go with the Osprey Daylite Plus you might need more space. I have an Osprey Skarab 30 that I use when taking more stuff.
Seconding the Daylite.

That's my under-seat bag on pretty much every trip, it fits perfect on every flight I've been on. I can stuff it with my laptop & tablet, along with a varying supply of gear. On my most recent trip, I crammed a lightweight rain jacket, a ballhead, a pair of Teva sandals, and a lightweight pair of clothes in there, along with the laptop, tablet, cables, chargers, and other personal items, plus a water bottle in the outside pocket. On that trip, all I carried was that and my Kiboko 30L for four days, no checked bag. Trip before that, I shoved my gimbal in there with a couple pairs of clothes and a small lens I couldn't fit in my other bag, along with laptop & tablet. I don't bother with a frame or camera cube, I just wrap the gear in my clothes for padding and carefully pack it all.

And then once I'm on the ground, I empty it out and use it as a daypack for hiking with. Or, if I just have maybe one spare lens I want to carry, I'll travel light with the Osprey instead of the full camera bag. It's super versatile.

Great thread with lots of helpful information, thank you. For those of you using the Osprey packs, have any of you used them in cold weather? I'll be heading to Yellowstone this week and am wondering if the packs are suitable protection against condensation, after a day of shooting outside in cold temperatures?

Chad, I am another supporter of the ThinkTank MindShift Backlight 18L. I’ve had mine for almost 3-years now and it goes with me on every outing. I can easily fit my D5, 500mmPF, 300mmPF, and either 24-70mm or 70-200mm, and still have room for extra batteries, filters, etc - and that’s just the main compartment. I put lens cleaning accessories, small tools, etc, in the main compartment lid. I don’t carry a laptop, but there is room for a small one like an iPad, as well as, a pocket in front for small items such as cards, pen, paper, accessories, etc. Then there is another nicely size pocket on the front. I also put two carabiners through the loops on front. This allows me to either hang the bag on my tripod for extra weight, or hand it out of the way off the ground. At the top of the bag is a strap used in conjunction with the tripod holder on the bottom to carry your tripod vertically in front of the bag. There are also water bottle holders on each side that could be used for easier lens acquisition out in the field. I mean, honestly, the bag has almost endless possibilities. Also, when worn correctly, no need to remove to get to your equipment . Just remove from around arms, slide around to the front, and open like you were standing at a desk. Just remember - the bigger the bag, the more you’ll put in it - the heavier it will get. Hope this helps. Just my opinion….
I ordered one fro Hunt's, it should be here any day! Thanks for the input!

Great thread with lots of helpful information, thank you. For those of you using the Osprey packs, have any of you used them in cold weather? I'll be heading to Yellowstone this week and am wondering if the packs are suitable protection against condensation, after a day of shooting outside in cold temperatures?
I have not used an osprey, so I dont know, but I have been going to Yellowstone every winter for I think 14 years... This is the first year I've missed a winter trip (because Im going to Costa Rica). I'm fortunate to live driving distance fro the park. I have a Lowepro that is heavily padded, and I through an extra coat and snow pants, etc over the top of it whenI get back to the truck so it warms up slowly. Thats worked well for me so far.

I have not used an osprey, so I dont know, but I have been going to Yellowstone every winter for I think 14 years... This is the first year I've missed a winter trip (because Im going to Costa Rica). I'm fortunate to live driving distance fro the park. I have a Lowepro that is heavily padded, and I through an extra coat and snow pants, etc over the top of it whenI get back to the truck so it warms up slowly. Thats worked well for me so far.
Thank you. Hopefully someone who uses the Osprey bags will chime in. Enjoy your trip to Costa Rica, I'm told it is a wonderful experience.

Based upon this thread, I purchased the Think Tank Backlight 18L and took on a one week trip to Death Valley. I had a D850 with 4 lenses and a travel tripod. It all packed great and actually did fit under an airline seat (only room for one foot under the seat however).

While I did not take all lenses on every hike (partial day to full day canyon hikes), the pack was extremely comfortable for the entire day. Being older the comfort and ease in taking on and off was a huge benefit. I really recommend this pack, especially if not doing more than day hikes with it.

Thank you all for your input - it was a great help to me.

I am always reconsidering what I will use for my "personal item" on my photography airplane trips. I often use the TravelPro Bold computer backpack, as it holds a lot of gear, is well padded, and fits under the seat in front of me. Mindshift backlight 18L seems like a good suggestion if one wants a "backpack" solution. But my most recent find is the Tenba DNA messenger bag. Even though the largest 16 inch model would qualify as a personal item for most airlines, the 13 inch version has the advantage of leaving a bit of space under the seat for me to be able to actually put my feet there. Since it goes over the shoulder, I can use my back for a larger photo backpack as my "carry-on." The main things I put in my personal item bag include my laptop and tablet, various charging cords, earbuds, medications, small binoculars, and perhaps a lens or two that won't fit into my carry-on. The messenger bag fits all of this stuff easily.

I love the B&H Photo website when shopping for a new bag for gear. I determine the maximum outside dimensions and then use the filter on their website to get a subset of bags that meet that size requirement. Easy then to look at a dozen or fewer bags and read the reviews by owners and make a final selection. B&H also makes it incredibly easy to return a purchased item for any reason at all.

Check out the GuraGear Kiboko V2.0 16L+, or the GuraGear Chobe 2.0 13”. The dimensions look good for airline underseat stowage. The Chobe looks small enough to pass as a carry-on “personal item.”

These are incredibly well made bags. I have used a Kiboko 22L version for five years with no problems.
I also saw this recommended recently - review of the Chobe in support of a larger pack https://www.squiver.com/blog/review-gura-gear-chobe-2-0-laptopcamera-bag/

My strategy has been a large b'pack - fStop Sukha (or Tilopa) or Mindshift 45 Elite, which allow the internal Packing Unit to be removed with padding around the lenses and at least 1 camera. The entire lid and belt of the MS 45 Elite is removable to wear separately around the waist.

Electronics and accessories are in side pockets of the backpack that goes in the best space: either under seat or locker above you. Last but not least, wear a photovest/waistcoat like the Country Innovation Raptor with lots of big pockets that can fit lenses, all kinds of things, even a gripped DSLR :)

Back