Mac Users, are you on Sonoma, or still using Ventura?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What Mac OS are you currently using?

• I upgraded to Sonoma

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • I am still on Ventura

Votes: 15 31.3%

• Total voters

hrv

Before I upgrade to Sonoma, I am curious to learn if you have already upgraded or are still holding off.

I have not read about any issues with LRC and Sonoma, but maybe your experience has been different.

Sadly, my 2017 iMac 5k is no longer supported. I did follow several u-tubers that showed how to upgrade to Sonoma, but it was less than 109% so I reverted To Ventura. The 5k screen is just so good. Sadly, it can’t be used as a monitor for a Mac like the Mac mini or studio.
there’s still talk of a 32” iMac next year. I’m prepared to wait!

Just updated a couple of days ago on my Intel iMac and no problems with Lightroom, Photoshop or any Topaz product I'm using. The only thing that's bugging me is that I can't get the screen to go to sleep. Even if I select sleep from the menus it only stays blank for a little while, then lights up again. If that's the only problem I have after a system update, I feel pretty good about it. :)

Have had zero issues and love the new wallpapers.

I still find the external monitor use frustrating at times and have to figure that out. Sometimes LRc opens on my additional BenQ external monitor and also shows the image for the external monitor there. So strange.

Sadly, my 2017 iMac 5k is no longer supported. I did follow several u-tubers that showed how to upgrade to Sonoma, but it was less than 109% so I reverted To Ventura. The 5k screen is just so good. Sadly, it can’t be used as a monitor for a Mac like the Mac mini or studio.
I have the same iMac as you do. I sure love the machine but it has slowed down a lot. I am going to have to bite the bullet for a mac studio and monitor.

I'm heartened to hear the success stories that people are sharing regarding upgrading to Sonoma. I have a Mac Studio with M2 Max and have been hesitant to upgrade from Ventura for fear that I might encounter some issues with predominantly LRC and/or Photoshop, but also with DxO PureRAW, Helicon Focus, StarStaX, etc.

I'm feeling a little more positive about considering the upgrade now, but will definitely continue to monitor this thread.

Last edited:
Same here as having a 2017 iMac and still using Ventura. I also have a mid 2015 iMac that is still operating with Big Sur. Just waiting until either can no longer be used due to other software changes. My 14-inch MacBook Pro can take the upgrade to Sonoma, but I see no need to do so this instant.

As far as the 32-inch iMac, please let it be available in silver; I'm not a fan of their other colors.

Last edited:
Same here as having a 2017 iMac and still using Ventura. I also have a mid 2015 iMac that is still operating with Big Sur. Just waiting until either can no longer be used due to other software changes. My 14-inch MacBook Pro can take the upgrade to Sonoma, but I see no need to do so this instant.
Although the desktop widgets I am finding very useful.

I have a 2017 27 inch as well. Apple announced it was not working on a new 27. While that leave the door open for a 32, it doesn't look good as Apple appears to be splitting the monitor from the computer with the exception of the 24 inch iMac. That said, a MBP or even a Mac Mini with the M2 pro chip with a new screen is a good way to go.

???? More of your thoughts on them, please.
Interactive widgets on the desktop; check off a reminder for example. See the weather, maps, battery levels easily. Configure as you like

Also great feature - profiles for Safari. I now have a Photography Profile with about 8 tabs each with many open pages. For example, one tab in the Photography Profile is shopping, and another Lightroom and PS, and another is Forums, and Blogs and YT.

This profile is separate from my other interests. So I keep two open Safari windows.

Read about these features and others and see if they appeal.

M1 MB Pro. I'm happy with Ventura at the moment, and "if it ain't broke don't try and fix it", but I'm always a late upgrader, and usually wait for 2 or 3 updates to get the bugs ironed out before e major upgrade. No doubt I will upgrade to Sonoma eventually. All the Adobe, Topaz and the software I use, including Citrix Workspace that I have to use to get me into a virtual Windows environment for my non-photography work, work fine on Ventura.

Back