Machias/Cutler Maine Puffins

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I found a 70-200 a little short - it works but can be limiting. If you own it already it would be fine with the 1.4 or 2x TC. You never know exactly how far away your bird will be. A used 300mm f/4 AFS is ideal and provides close minimum focus at a fraction of the cost of the 100-400 if this is the only expected use. A 100-400 would certainly work very well.
I think a 100-400 possibly with a 1.4 TC is better for the close focus opportunity. I would not bring a 600mm lens at all - it's too long and the f/4 version is too big. The 600mm PF is going to be too long. The minimum focus is 16 feet or so, so you will miss all the closer subject matter. I'd want a minimum focus distance of 10 feet or so.

I did not find the ramp slippery. I would not use metal spikes of any kind - just normal treads for hiking or rocks - something not smooth that provides a little grip.

This was minimally cropped - 300mm on an APS-C camera. I removed the TC because I could not fit the head in the frame.
View attachment 84379

This was with a 70-200mm lens at 90mm with an APS-C camera.
View attachment 84380
Eric, beautiful shots! Were these shot with the 300mm pf or an older 300mm lens?

Eric, beautiful shots! Were these shot with the 300mm pf or an older 300mm lens?
These were with the older 300mm f/4 AFS. I still have the lens and use it because it is so good with close ups as well as with the 1.4 TC (TC14E II or III). The 400mm f/4.5 somewhat replaces it but is not as good for close ups.

Sounds like I might be renting a 100-400 for this trip
It is a great lens for shooting Puffins and Razorbills out of the blind. You could literally “spit“ on them ( figuratively). But I wished for a bit longer for the Gannet who was off in the distance. This was probably 10 plus yards away. I‘m hoping the 180-600 is in in time. It will give me a little more reach. And I plan on the 800PF from the boat shots.

Attachments

• IMG_0B3502A6BE34-1.jpeg
    IMG_0B3502A6BE34-1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
First-I hope you found lodging.

I went for my first visit last year on 6/22/23 - it was a Bluebird Day- and I’m hooked. It's a total immersion of sight and sound of a an amazing nature experience. This year I wanted to see them bringing in feed for the chicks, so I have two dates 7/10 and 7/24.

I have a suggestion. On the island was a lonely male Gannet on his nest looking for suitors. Because the Puffins and Razorbills will be plentiful and easily shot in any Blind- I will research which blind will give the best views of the Gannet I was in Blind 1 and had views of this beauty, but Blind 2 had better views. He was an unexpected gift.

And if your coming this way and your thinking about night skies- you should try to visit the Bold Coast Trail. It is one of the best spots for night sky photography. Not to mention, the 30-40 minute easy hike to the coast will give you the most spectacular coastal views in the state- bar none. You will not be disappointed. Amazing cliffs- aqua blue sea without the throngs of tourists clamouring in your shots. And . if you hike all the way out, there is a campsite that is a premiere night sky destination. Bold Coast Trail check this link.

As for Quoddy- it is not locked up at night. I've been there for Sunrises, but never at night. I don't believe it sb a problem.

And if it rains or is a heavy surf day- check out Jasper Beach in Machias. It's a stone beach and listening to the cascading polished stones is ethereal.

And lastly- if you stop in Acadia- Google Ravens Nest.- amazing views towards Cadillac especially at sunset. It's on the other Acadia on Schoodic Peninsula which is a great spot for stormy seas.

I shot my Z 9 and 100-400 and it was perfect for the Blinds. It's versatility for close tight shots was amazing, I would advise against using longer lens because of minimum focusing distances. You will not want to waste time swapping lenses. If you have two bodies, that's a different story. I did wish I had a longer lens when shooting from the boat- 400 just wasn't enough. I have the 800 PF and may bring it for the boat shots and change to the 100-400 when landing . BUT - I am considering getting the 180-600 if it becomes available before July.

You will not need a tripod or monopod. It takes up too much space and the openings will give you all the support you'll need.

Thanks for this info! I did find lodging, I grabbed a room at Cohill's Inn, which I'm sure will be fine. There weren't many options. It seems like a lot of people will be going there before me this year, so hopefully everyone will posts trip reports and suggestions on which blinds are best for everyone else to learn from.

Reactions: Gio
Unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to cancel my trip for this year. I'm a firefighter in Massachusetts and the chief just released the date for promotional interviews, and of course it's the day I booked the trip for. I'll have to try again next year.

Unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to cancel my trip for this year. I'm a firefighter in Massachusetts and the chief just released the date for promotional interviews, and of course it's the day I booked the trip for. I'll have to try again next year.
Sorry to hear. But DONT cancel. Call Renee. Last year I dislocated my shoulder and couldn’t make that date . Renee worked out a later date for me. This year, I’m going with a group on July 10. I wanted to be sure to catch them feeding so I booked a second trip for July 24. What day did you get? I’m sure Renee will be glad to try to help. If she can’t and you have a date I can swap with- poke me first. I’d hate to see you miss the opportunity for your promotion and the puffins. Call her. I’m sure she’ll work with you. Good luck on both. GM.

Hopefully your interview is successful. We're scheduled for 7/25 and can use them if you are going to return them. We tried for an additional backup date but were unsuccessful.

My date was for August 5th. Unfortunately that is the only time that really works for me between work and other travel plans. So I'll just rebook next year. I already talked to her and she is processing the cancelation tonight, so if you are interested in August 5th I would call her ASAP and try to book it.

Back