Monopod or Not?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In the summer months much of my photography activities include biking and/or hiking. Carrying my tripod along on these trips would be too much of a burden for an old guy like me. That said, shooting a hand-held d850/d500 mounted with a Tamron 150-600 is quite a challenge at times as well. Particularly, shooting still subjects. Wth the zoom set 400mm or greater, I have an awful time keeping the subject centered. The lens is bouncing up and down or swinging left to right and I have a hard time keeping it steady.

Today I tried a monopod (part of a cheap K&F Tripod) and found it helped me next to nothing. The only thing good I could say about it was it weighted very little.

For those of you who use a monopod I have a few questions I wish to ask:

1. Size of lens(es) you use on the Monopod
2. Gimbal or not?
3. Make and Model?

Alternatively, I find a way to pack my heavy tripod and also heavy gimbal on my treks.

Hope to hear some other and better options.

I'm a big fan of monopods for the right situation. They can be challenging for subjects high above your head, but for subjects in the 8-11 o'clock elevation it helps a lot. My preferred lens with a monopod is the 200-400 - about the same size as your 500 f/4. I've used it with my 600 f/4 but prefer a gimbal and tripod with that combination. I also use a monopod with my 300 f/4 and teleconverter. If I'm photographing small subjects that need me to stay on them for extended periods of time - such as small birds or insects - a monopod helps a lot so I even use it with a macro lens.

I don't use a gimbal - it does not work well with good monopod technique. I use a RRS monopod head which is a tilt head and keeps movement on one axis. To elevate the view, I use the tilt head or simply tilt the entire monopod. To swing left or right, I use my feet. My monopod is a 4 series Gitzo. You want a robust monopod - 4 series or equivalent. It does not weigh much more than a smaller monopod, and you want something that handles a long lens.

The key with a monopod is having the right technique. You don't want to use the monopod in a vertical position - it works better at an angle similar to the angled legs of your tripod. There are other options for monopod technique where you use a tree for support, or where you brace the monopod against your rear foot. It's okay to balance a monopod vertically, but it's inherently less stable than angled alternatives. Think about your monopod as a tripod with only one or two legs - and you need to supply the other legs to create support.

I use a monopod with a gimbal when in the field with my D500 camera and 200-500 lens. I use a Sirui P-424 monopod, which is ridiculously overpriced and over-engineered for this task. For years, I used a $50 aluminum monopod, which was perfectly adequate for my purposes. However, when I started doing a bit of video, I got the Sirui because it was suited to video as well as still photography. I have been happy with its performance, but it is no better for still photography than what I had before. I like my monopods to be able to get tall and be sufficiently sturdy to use as a hiking stick, both of which are not universal properties of monopods.
I use a gimbal (Movo GH700) because that's what I use with my tripod and I hate to have a lot of duplicate crap. It is light for a gimbal, but still a bit top-heavy for the monopod. FWIW

Like a lot of other posters, I do use a monopod often for my photography. When I use my D500 and my Nikon 500mm f5.6 pf lens, I use a monopod with the Wimberly monopod head attached to the monopod with a Arca Swiss clamp. The monopod has a foot that is like a flat rubber disk for better stability. The monopod is metal as they are less expensive and easier to clean IMO. I believe mine is made by Giotto. With the clamp on it, I remove the monopod head and attach other bodies or lenses with arca swiss plates.

A monopod requires more in the way of technique than a tripod. There are some excellent videos on youtube that show how best to use the monopod and worth the time to watch.

I use a Sirui monopod and a Wimberley monopod gimbal with a Nikon 500mm f/4 on a D850 and get satisfactory results. It also works great for carrying the gear when hiking especially since I've added a piece of pipe insulation above the top lock. It fits easily in bags when flying.
mrtk.smugmug.com

I think the choice of the head is something where there is no silver bullet that suits everyone. I'm not a wildlife photographer and for years I've had a very small and light Velbon Up-4000 monopod with a Manfrotto 234 RC head that has served me very well over many years with the biggest combo used on it a D850 + Sigma 150-600 Sport.

I recently watched a DPReview video on a new monopod and was sufficiently impressed to buy one! Although this is a video monopod, my stills cameras don't know this and it as great features. I've put another Manfrotto 234 RC head on it and am very pleased with it. My one extends to about 6 feet but most are smaller. I guess that most video is shot by using a flippy LCD and lower camera position nowdays. I really like how it can be turned into a tabletop tripod in 10 seconds. Not that I carry a table around with me, but substitute ground or a rock for table ;)

Very Clever
Really hard to pass up on this one, its ticking a lot of boxes

Oz down under.

Last edited:
In the summer months much of my photography activities include biking and/or hiking. Carrying my tripod along on these trips would be too much of a burden for an old guy like me. That said, shooting a hand-held d850/d500 mounted with a Tamron 150-600 is quite a challenge at times as well. Particularly, shooting still subjects. Wth the zoom set 400mm or greater, I have an awful time keeping the subject centered. The lens is bouncing up and down or swinging left to right and I have a hard time keeping it steady.

Today I tried a monopod (part of a cheap K&F Tripod) and found it helped me next to nothing. The only thing good I could say about it was it weighted very little.

For those of you who use a monopod I have a few questions I wish to ask:

1. Size of lens(es) you use on the Monopod
2. Gimbal or not?
3. Make and Model?

Alternatively, I find a way to pack my heavy tripod and also heavy gimbal on my treks.

I love using tripods.
But sometimes i'll use a waterbag like a sandbag on a rock tree or wall instead...

I think the choice of the head is something where there is no silver bullet that suits everyone. I'm not a wildlife photographer and for years I've had a very small and light Velbon Up-4000 monopod with a Manfrotto 234 RC head that has served me very well over many years with the biggest combo used on it a D850 + Sigma 150-600 Sport.

I recently watched a DPReview video on a new monopod and was sufficiently impressed to buy one! Although this is a video monopod, my stills cameras don't know this and it as great features. I've put another Manfrotto 234 RC head on it and am very pleased with it. My one extends to about 6 feet but most are smaller. I guess that most video is shot by using a flippy LCD and lower camera position nowdays. I really like how it can be turned into a tabletop tripod in 10 seconds. Not that I carry a table around with me, but substitute ground or a rock for table ;)

Graham,

Several months in now, are you still happy with this monopod?

Thanks,

George

My first was a Benro aluminum monopod, 73" that I used to steady a D-7200/Sigma 150-600C. I had real trouble hand holding this rig so Steve's video of a Wimberly mono-gimble was a game changer.

Lately, however, my rig is a lighter D-500/500pf and I have switch to the 14oz Sirui 6 piece carbon fiber monopod that is 61". Using Nikon NX Studio I look carefully where my single point autofocus is on the subject and I find it is 90% to 30% exactly where I want it in favor of the monopod vs. hand-held.

My first was a Benro aluminum monopod, 73" that I used to steady a D-7200/Sigma 150-600C. I had real trouble hand holding this rig so Steve's video of a Wimberly mono-gimble was a game changer.

Lately, however, my rig is a lighter D-500/500pf and I have switch to the 14oz Sirui 6 piece carbon fiber monopod that is 61". Using Nikon NX Studio I look carefully where my single point autofocus is on the subject and I find it is 90% to 30% exactly where I want it in favor of the monopod vs. hand-held.
I have the Sirui CF monopod as well and use it with a Movo GH600 side mount gimbal. I love it. It's very light, sturdy, tall, and collapses to a very manageable length. I only use it with my 200-500 if I'm going to sit/wait in place for a while, otherwise I just hand hold.

This setup has served me well for over a decade. It may be overkill for your 150-600.

Notice the screw clamp knob is positioned on the opposite side of the big knob. RRS and other "copycat" manufacturers ship
these with the knobs on the same side which makes for difficult adjustments. I wonder how many people have tried this setup without making this switch.
and decided it was not a viable option.

Best wishes,

Ricky

bcgmonopod.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
The monopod is never going to be as good as a tripod but it is far superior to hand holding a long lens. Whether you use a conventional tilting monopod head, Wimberley monogimbal, acratech ball / gimbal combo doesn’t really matter, that will be a matter of personal preference. I think the key thing is learning good monopod technique. don’t have to monopdo too vertical, lean into it, arm/hand over the lens to stabilise.

The monopod is never going to be as good as a tripod but it is far superior to hand holding a long lens. Whether you use a conventional tilting monopod head, Wimberley monogimbal, acratech ball / gimbal combo doesn’t really matter, that will be a matter of personal preference. I think the key thing is learning good monopod technique. don’t have to monopdo too vertical, lean into it, arm/hand over the lens to stabilise.

Thanks Steve W.

I’m familiar with monopod technique.

Was interested in a longer term review of the specific one Graham had.

Cheers,

George

Just started using wimberley monogimbal with my sirui monopod to attempt to address a shaky left hand when hand-holding my 500pf. It seems to be netting me more keepers for eagle in flight shots. Finding it a bit harder to find the bird in the frame than before, but practicing on sea-gulls :)

Apart from putting a 3/4 thread on the end of a hiking stick - I'm not the person to ask about monopods.
I have a couple but cant remember the last time I used one.
Either a light or sturdy tripod is my preference.
Sandbags or waterbottles on walls fences or car windows are my compromise. 🦘

The monopod options are well covered by this thread already. Here is a different option. Electric cargo bike. I can get a days worth of fun along with my tripod, and a good selection of camera gear in the bags.
95137632_3058105534247467_731866855349682176_n.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I use a Feisol Monopod....

....with an inexpensive Desmond DMH-2 tilt head with arca-swiss clamp

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0169AYZ8W/?tag=backcogaller-20

I use this combo with my 500 f/4 with no issues at all....and actually use it far more often than a tripod. It's a breeze to carry on my shoulder for long walks, with the lens pointed forward, parallel to the monopod.

My opinion: Sirui P-326 monopod and Wimberley MH-100 monogimbal (another "Thanks Steve") make for a useful, "travelable", and sturdy setup. Not heavy or unwieldy and provides a stable platform.

I use a monopod with the Sirui L-10 tilt head. No need to pan with a monopod or have side tilt options as I can do both by moving the monopod. It would be quite unwieldy with a ball head or a gimbal head supporting the camera and lens. The L-10 weighs only 12 oz. and has a 33 lb load capacity. There are cheaper tilt heads but they have issues and at $90 the L-10 is inexpensive for what it does.

I have two monopods and the one I use with the L-10 is a Manfrotto 680B that weighs only 2 lbs and supports up to 22 lbs. and works well enough. I prefer ones that use screw tightening as flipping the locking levers as with the Manfrotto makes a lot of noise.

I use a monopod with the Sirui L-10 tilt head. No need to pan with a monopod or have side tilt options as I can do both by moving the monopod. It would be quite unwieldy with a ball head or a gimbal head supporting the camera and lens. The L-10 weighs only 12 oz. and has a 33 lb load capacity. There are cheaper tilt heads but they have issues and at $90 the L-10 is inexpensive for what it does.

I have two monopods and the one I use with the L-10 is a Manfrotto 680B that weighs only 2 lbs and supports up to 22 lbs. and works well enough. I prefer ones that use screw tightening as flipping the locking levers as with the Manfrotto makes a lot of noise.
The MonoGimbal provides balanced up-down motion with excellent resistance adjustment.

Back