Monopod or Not?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A Monogimbal Head wouldn't extend much from the center of the tripod top plate, so the legs and even the top plate might interfere with vertical movement. Might work but with a limited range of movement. And it wouldn't pan.

Last edited:
I use a sirui monopodas a walking stick and have a shooters yolk on top of it. I just rest the 200-600 barrel on it in a blanced fashion andit works great. Since the lens is not attached, I can move it wherever I need to in a hurry.

I use a sirui monopodas a walking stick and have a shooters yolk on top of it. I just rest the 200-600 barrel on it in a blanced fashion andit works great. Since the lens is not attached, I can move it wherever I need to in a hurry.
After your post I tried simply laying my D-500/500pf on the monogimble when using the monopod as a hiking stick. Works great but the monogimble makes the tick heavy as a hiking stick

I use a monopod more than a tripod but Would the wimberly mono gimbal head work with a tripod?
The MonoGimbal does not pan -- it only swivels up and down. On a monopod, you don't want the head to pan anyway. But, on a tripod, you need both kinds of motion. You really can't mount it on a ballhead, say, because the MonoGimbal has a 3/8 inch screw to mount directly on a 'pod. I would worry about using a reducer bushing because of the torque the side mount exerts on the connecting point. So, in my estimation, the MonoGimbal is strictly a monopod head.

Back