More on camera straps

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I read with interest someone's post on Camera Straps. I was happy to note that many use the camera strap (original/third party).
My question is to those who hate using camera straps:
Why do you hate camera straps? Why do you think the manufacturer spends money to supply a strap when you buy a camera body?
I teach photography, and I tell my students that I'll stop teaching them if I catch them using the camera without a strap -- and I mean the strap around the neck, not just hanging around.
This may seem hard-to-justify for some photographers, but in my over 45 years of teaching, have often seen cameras hit the ground for lack of a proper camera strap.
PS: Some use the hand-strap and that's okay by me.

This is a genuine query and not meant to stir up verbal fights or misunderstandings amongst members.

I read with interest someone's post on Camera Straps. I was happy to note that many use the camera strap (original/third party).
Why do you hate camera straps? Why do you think the manufacturer spends money to supply a strap when you buy a camera body?
I teach photography, and I tell my students that I'll stop teaching them if I catch them using the camera without a strap -- and I mean the strap around the neck, not just hanging around.
This may seem hard-to-justify for some photographers, but in my over 45 years of teaching, have often seen cameras hit the ground for lack of a proper camera strap.

This is a genuine query and not meant to stir up verbal fights or misunderstandings amongst members.

I hate neck straps as they are uncomfortable, make my neck ache and if you lean forward the camera either gets in the way or can get damaged if it hits something. It also puts excessive strain on the camera lens mount if your lens weighs more than the Z mount limit of 1300gms (2lbs 14oz) unless you have a way to attach your neck strap to the tripod foot. Have you tried carrying a camera with a 400mm f2.8 on a neck strap?

I think the manufacturers supply a strap that has the brand name glaring out at people to draw attention to it, give them free advertising and at the same time will make you easily identifiable as a good target for a thief.

I've been using a shoulder sling for nearly 20 years with no issues, no neck ache, no huge yellow NIKON screaming at everyone and I will never go back to a neck strap.

When I was working part of my job was training. Sometimes people would ask me "how would you do this" and I always replied with "I'll show you how I do this, but you might find that it does not suit you". That's why I latched onto Steve when I first saw his videos and he always emphasizes "this is the way I do it but it might not work for you"

We had a guy in my camera club who had the attitude my way or no way. He is not a member any more and nobody misses him.

Last edited:
I hate neck straps as they are uncomfortable, make my neck ache and if you lean forward the camera either gets in the way or can get damaged if it hits something. It also puts excessive strain on the camera lens mount if your lens weighs more than the Z mount limit of 1300gms (2lbs 14oz) unless you have a way to attach your neck strap to the tripod foot. Have you tried carrying a camera with a 400mm f2.8 on a neck strap?

I think the manufacturers supply a strap that has the brand name glaring out at people to draw attention to it, give them free advertising and at the same time will make you easily identifiable as a good target for a thief.

I've been using a shoulder sling for nearly 20 years with no issues, no neck ache, no huge yellow NIKON screaming at everyone and I will never go back to a neck strap.

When I was working part of my job was training. Sometimes people would ask me "how would you do this" and I always replied with "I'll show you how I do this, but you might find that it does not suit you". That's why I latched onto Steve when I first saw his videos and he always emphasizes "this is the way I do it but it might not work for you"

We had a guy in my camera club who had the attitude my way or no way. He is not a member any more and nobody misses him.
As long as you use any form of safety for not dropping your camera ( you mentioned that you use a shoulder sling), that's fine.

I've yet to see a manufacturer supplied strap that was half decent. They lack padding and they chafe and the way they attach is a PITA.

If I am walking a lot, I'll attach a BlackRapid RS-7 strap as it is easy to get on and off and allows me to have bot my hands free with nothing in front of me.

But if I am shooting from a fixed position or I am going through bushes and plant growth or I am shooting macro, the strap comes off as it's just one more thing to snag and get in the way.

Maybe when I get older and my grip strength starts to fail, I will use straps more often...

......... in my over 45 years of teaching, have often seen cameras hit the ground for lack of a proper camera strap.....
If the only place the strap stayed was one's shoulder - it would be good. But cameras get put down on surfaces, the straps hang off , someone walks past, strap hooks and the camera is history

I have seen these accidents happen more than once.

Never use a strap. Pain in the butt, especially when using/carrying a tripod or monopod. In over 45 years of photography I've never once dropped a camera.

Being Scottish I did once dropped a pound coin. It hit me on the back of the head when I bent down to pick it up. Boom boom.

I now only use Peak Design camera straps one for FF camera and other for 4/3 camera. I went for this make mainly because of how quickly the straps can be swapped around via the quick release button and length adjustment feature. I was originally concerned about the small chord on the buttons but reading on they are tested to 8000 breaking strain. never had one fail in all the years of using them and time is a greatg way of testing a product to see if it lasts

P1060459.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

as can be seen in the above photo the quick release buttons do not interfer with operating the camera on a tripod

Last edited:
Shoulder strap or wrist, neck straps are uncomfortable.

A couple of things:

The Minolta Maxxum strap that was issued with the first 7000 and 5000 cameras is extremely comfortable, will stay put or slide, and is long enough to be used as a shoulder strap. I bought two brand NOS on Ebay for under $10 apiece.

I don't think identifying a camera brand with a neck strap matters when it comes to getting mugged. The crackhead that wants your camera is going to get $20 out of it at the pawn shop for his next fix, no matter what brand or model it is.

Of course, this is primarily a wildlife photography group, which tends to use big heavy lenses for which a neck strap is a lousy solution.

I use a strap all the time -- usually a Blackrapid shoulder strap for carrying/shooting. I have also used wrist straps with smaller gear. For example, when hiking I have a setup to attach the camera (with a smaller lens for landscapes) to a backpack shoulder strap, and I'll typically use the wrist strap when the camera is off the backpack.

I find a neck strap the least comfortable way ever invented to carry a camera for more than about 30 seconds .... even years ago when I using a bridge camera (dSLR sized, but this was a pretty light rig) the neck strap was never used. I'd keep it in a case on a shoulder strap, using a wrist strap when out of the case.

Thus I generally like straps .... just deeply hate neck straps.

It's been 57 years since my first SLR and I've never had problems with the factory supplied strap. No catching on something or falling off a table. I often wrap the neck strap around my wrist and keep the camera in my hand. I carry telephotos by the foot. I use the cheap factory strap and don't advertise I have money by spending it on expensive straps. lol

I have always used a camera strap on my DSLR cameras as they function as a third hand when making lens changes or putting in a new roll of film or new memory card or new battery. No worries about dropping the camera and its attached lens.

I found a removable strap invaluable when I was doing underwater photography and putting the camera inside an underwater housing. I soon found that removing the strap while the camera was on a tripod would prevent my catching on the strap and sending the camera and lens crashing to the ground (two close calls with a camera and the 600mm f/4 lens on a tripod).

The Tamrac and Op/Tech neoprene camera straps better conform to my shoulder and keep the camera and lens from sliding off. Both have quick release buckles that will not detach unless both sides of the buckle are depressed at the same time. I had some expensive straps that would come undone when only one side of the buckle was pushed in and these ended up in the trash.

Many high prices camera straps I bought were too large and too stiff to stay on my shoulder and were without quick release buckles and were a waste of money. Less than $20 for the Tamrac and Op/Tech straps and with Op/Tech the straps come in different colors which makes it easy for me to know which camera I am pulling out of the bag.

Well, you have an opinion on a strap around the neck but it is up to your students if they use it or not. They can whine after it hit the ground.
The straps I got from both Nikon & Sony are just not doing it for me, way too uncomfortable to wear with any size lens.
The big tele lenses from Nikon come with a very decent strap and wear that over my shoulder. Recently switched to a MagPul strap and a BlackRapid strap with a QD lock.
The Magpul by itself is also not comfortable enough and did I modify it a little and slided a padding over the strap, way better :)

Surely the point of a strap, particularly for the sort of people who post here, is to be a last line of defence in case the camera slips out of the hand. Does anyone use a neck strap as the main means of support of a Z8 or Z9 with a long lens?

Not having a strap as a last line of defence is a bit like not wearing a seat belt in a motor car.

Surely the point of a strap, particularly for the sort of people who post here, is to be a last line of defence in case the camera slips out of the hand. Does anyone use a neck strap as the main means of support of a Z8 or Z9 with a long lens?

Not having a strap as a last line of defence is a bit like not wearing a seat belt in a motor car.
Nope, no neck strap when I am out with my Z8/9 and long lenses.

None of my cameras have the 3 sided split rings, because I removed these after purchase. Otherwise they rattle and get in the way.

I swiftly discovered many years ago that a strap on a camera with a long lens is a setup to trash one's gear. The strap snags on branches when outdoors, or other gear/protruding objects when switching between 2 rigs in a vehicle.

Hiking with a long lens often requires a shoulder sling or harness. The rig is attached via the lens foot or tripod collar on the lens barrel.

When out capturing landscape scenes, one usually has a UWide on the camera, which in my case has a L Plate. If this is not already secured to the tripod, it's simple to clip a safety lanyard/wrist loop to the L Plate, if carrying the camera AND clip the free end of the lanyard via snap link to the tripod.

I use Peak Design camera strap system because they can easily be removed and/or swapped to a different mounting place. When I use the Peak Design strap, be it the Leash (thinnest) or the Slide Lite (Middle width) it is generally always worn over the shoulder whether it is connected to the camera strap eyelets or the lens foot on the larger lenses. So, the strap goes over the neck and sits on my left shoulder with my right arm through the strap and hangs to my right side, just like you would a Black Rapid strap. It makes it easy to grab the camera with my right hand and pull up to my eye. I rarely just wear the strap over the back of my neck so that it hangs over my stomach. If I am using a tripod, I generally remove the strap. Sometimes I will walk around without the strap at all.

No neck straps ever too uncomfortable.

cross body straps for lighter stuff Peak Design Slide are excellent.

Shoulder straps for anything heavy.

Any strap can get in the way when shooting and I often remove them especially when using tripod/gimbal.

Blackrapid or Holdfast shoulder straps work well with big and heavy Z9/long lens combos. I can carry two this way connected to lens foot and pull either up quickly for a handheld shot. I keep the strap attached and may rotate the lens foot to the side to keep the strap out of my way while shooting. However if I deploy the tripod the camera is detached from shoulder strap.

i would like a safety for tripod work but I have not found something that I like yet.

I never use a strap on my camera so I guess you would not teach me. Luckily I am fairly au fait with most of what I need to know.
My reason for never using a strap is that I shoot the vast majority of my images using a tripod. A strap on the camera just gets in the way and also acts as a wind sail.
When I am not using a tripod, I have occassionally tumbled (in a forest or, worse, river) and straight away, as I tumble the camera goes straight in the air, out of the water or away from the ground. A strap would also stop me doing this due to its length.
Having said all that, I have been taking photographs with a DSLR for about 45 years now and never once dropped the camera to the ground. It is a case of looking after it and leaving in the bag unless there is the chance you may use it.

Last edited:
One option I use occasionally is a digital holster. Especially if I plan to be walking a lot. Think Tank makes them in various sizes that fit long lenses. They don’t come with a belt though. I guess they expect you to use a normal belt which I find unsatisfactory because of the weight. So I purchased a military style belt with a quick release to make the whole thing work.

"Does anyone use a neck strap as the main means of support of a Z8 or Z9 with a long lens?"
I aleays have my left hand under the lens, supporting it. It is unwise to let the weight of the lens be all the time on the lens/body mount. That is one reason I never use those fancy straps hanging crosswise around the shoulder; they let the lens weight be directly on the mount.

I use the Peak Design system and I've been very happy with it. I don't particularly like using any neck strap unless I'm walking for a while and want to swing the camera around to the small of my back, which makes me feel more balanced. But I love the Peak Design wrist strap, carrying the camera in my right hand. I leave the strap a bit loose, so I don't even notice that is is there. If the camera were to fall out of my hand it cinches up automatically. Just peace of mind. If I need to do something that requires both hands, I can let the camera dangle from my wrist for a moment, so don't have to put the camera down. The only ergonomic restriction is with the Z9 (or I suppose any gripped camera), going to portrait mode, because the strap is just a bit too short for a full 90 degree swing of the camera. Last comment, which might seem irrelevant to some: In crowded places I never have to worry about someone snatching my camera out of my hand and running away. I've visited places where local guides advise that this is a real issue. Again, just some extra peace of mind when we're talking about thousands of dollars of gear.

Use of a camera strap is and should be a personal choice. Can’t understand why a photo instructor would care. There is a potential downside when the strap is not over your should or around your neck. My Z9 with a new just out of the box z180-600 waiting to be used for the first time was dragged off the counter on to the floor when the strap was snagged by another item. $900 and six weeks later I got the camera and lens back from Nikon. Fortunately they were insured. Purchased my first Nikon 53 years ago and have never dropped a camera or lens. I do however sometimes use a Blackrapid strap with a QD connector, but even that depends on the situation.

Last edited:
Back