More on camera straps

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If the only place the strap stayed was one's shoulder - it would be good. But cameras get put down on surfaces, the straps hang off , someone walks past, strap hooks and the camera is history

I have seen these accidents happen more than once.
Yep! Had this happen to my Z9 with a new out of the box z180-600 attached. I only took 6 weeks and $900 to get it repaired.

One option I use occasionally is a digital holster. Especially if I plan to be walking a lot. Think Tank makes them in various sizes that fit long lenses. They don’t come with a belt though. I guess they expect you to use a normal belt which I find unsatisfactory because of the weight. So I purchased a military style belt with a quick release to make the whole thing work.
Regular belts are useless for carrying any weight, get a Gun Belt from a reputable company like Galco. They last and are cheaper in the long run.

One option I use occasionally is a digital holster. Especially if I plan to be walking a lot. Think Tank makes them in various sizes that fit long lenses. They don’t come with a belt though. I guess they expect you to use a normal belt which I find unsatisfactory because of the weight. So I purchased a military style belt with a quick release to make the whole thing work.
Think Tank sells a belt that works with a lot of their gear and it is very comfortable and works great with my lens holsters. https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/pro-speed-belt-v3-0

I'm finding that dropping things is one of the unfortunate features of old age. My cameras have either an L bracket or video cage with QD attachment points as does the plate on my 500. I use the Mag pul straps over-the-shoulder but have added after-market soft pads from Amazon for comfort. Once the camera is on the tripod I remove the strap. Lately I've been pulling my gear around in a collapsible garden cart which lets me add both a camp chair and a golf umbrella. Since I don't go too far from the road anymore or do much wildlife this works out OK.

I never use a strap on my camera so I guess you would not teach me. Luckily I am fairly au fait with most of what I need to know.
My reason for never using a strap is that I shoot the vast majority of my images using a tripod. A strap on the camera just gets in the way and also acts as a wind sail.
When I am not using a tripod, I have occassionally tumbled (in a forest or, worse, river) and straight away, as I tumble the camera goes straight in the air, out of the water or away from the ground. A strap would also stop me doing this due to its length.
Having said all that, I have been taking photographs with a DSLR for about 45 years now and never once dropped the camera to the ground. It is a case of looking after it and leaving in the bag unless there is the chance you may use it.

Hiya Steve. Good to see you here!

I remove the D-rings from my bodies. I use black-rapid straps with QD connectors into L-Brackets on my camera bodies. When I need to use the camera off strap, I don't want stuff dragging around or in the way. I am often walking around with 2-3 bodies, sometimes a big tele on a monopod too. All those neck straps would just be a PITA and a trip/snag hazard. Same if I'm doing studio work. Camera is likely on a tripod and the strap would serve no purpose. If the camera is not on legs, a strap would be in the way.

I read with interest someone's post on Camera Straps. I was happy to note that many use the camera strap (original/third party).
My question is to those who hate using camera straps:
Why do you hate camera straps? Why do you think the manufacturer spends money to supply a strap when you buy a camera body?
I teach photography, and I tell my students that I'll stop teaching them if I catch them using the camera without a strap -- and I mean the strap around the neck, not just hanging around.
This may seem hard-to-justify for some photographers, but in my over 45 years of teaching, have often seen cameras hit the ground for lack of a proper camera strap.
PS: Some use the hand-strap and that's okay by me.

This is a genuine query and not meant to stir up verbal fights or misunderstandings amongst members.
I always wear a strap when out in the field but if I’m home on my patio and have my camera handy I take it off as it has a nasty habit of catching on things and could even cause me to drop my camera. So for me it depends.

I got caught by a sneaker wave at Pt Reyes a few years back. I tried to run but fell and though I was soaked the camera was ok as I held it up in the air in front of me. I had a strap on and it didn’t prevent me from doing that. I handhold and rarely use a tripod so for me a strap is a good thing in the field. my second body with a wide angle lens sits in a backpack and a strap makes it very hard to put in the pack so I leave it off but this camera only gets occasional use.

"Does anyone use a neck strap as the main means of support of a Z8 or Z9 with a long lens?"
I aleays have my left hand under the lens, supporting it. It is unwise to let the weight of the lens be all the time on the lens/body mount. That is one reason I never use those fancy straps hanging crosswise around the shoulder; they let the lens weight be directly on the mount.
Well the factory strap has no other option than to allow the lens weight to be on the mount so your comment seems at odds with your first post.

The “fancy straps” should be fastened to the lens foot if there is one, then there isnt a load issue.

I use the padded Nikon strap that came with the 600 f/4. The strap (more of a shoulder strap) is attached directly to the lens and stays on the lens 100% of the time, even when it is stored in the backpack in my house. In use, I can have the camera and lens hang in front of me, to the side of me, or behind me, stationary or while walking. The general orientation of the lens and camera is such that the lens hood points down and the body is above the lens. I can have both hands be free if needed or I can support the weight of the rig with one or both hands when carrying it around. I personally would not carry that large of a lens around without it being on a strap. The strap definitely helps me in this case.

When I’m using my other lenses, however, I have a ThinkTank Digital Holster that the camera/lens combo can slide in when I am not shooting. I wear the strap of the holster much the same as the lens strap, over the right shoulder and wrapping around my left side. If I expect to have the body/lens combo in the holster for long stretches of time between shooting, then I also employ the padded belt to split the weight between the shoulder and my hip.

I hate regular neck straps. They are both literally and figuratively a pain in the neck.

I use Peak Design camera strap system because they can easily be removed and/or swapped to a different mounting place. When I use the Peak Design strap, be it the Leash (thinnest) or the Slide Lite (Middle width) it is generally always worn over the shoulder whether it is connected to the camera strap eyelets or the lens foot on the larger lenses. So, the strap goes over the neck and sits on my left shoulder with my right arm through the strap and hangs to my right side, just like you would a Black Rapid strap. It makes it easy to grab the camera with my right hand and pull up to my eye. I rarely just wear the strap over the back of my neck so that it hangs over my stomach. If I am using a tripod, I generally remove the strap. Sometimes I will walk around without the strap at all.
I used both My Cotton Carrier G2 harness, and my Peak Design Wiiide (Slide ?) strap during a recent trip to Yellowstone, to try each of them out. I don't have a really big lens...just a 70-300, and a 70-210. Anything lighter is a piece of cake with either one. Either system worked fine.
I've used manufacturer straps, Op Tech, Black Rapid, and offshore Over The Shoulder Boulder Holders before I got my Peak Design and Cotton systems.
My buddy bought one of the first Cotton Carriers...sort of like a combination Bustier and Strait Jacket! BUT! He sez it WILL hold two cameras!o_O
My habit is one hand on the camera/lens most of the time! :cool:
The OPTech straps are colorful and comfortable, but the bright colors can be a signal for thieves who know what they are looking for, and if you are taller, like me, you may need the longer XL straps with quick release that attach to the camera. They and the shorter ones do flop around when the cushioned center is detatched, but they make a handy carrying strap when they are attached to each other. They are a bit of a chore to remove from the camera, though. I used and liked OpTech for a couple of Decades. Good company, good CS. They also have a way to build an over the shoulder carry. A after a whole day with a heavy lens...tiring to the shoulders and back. A pain killer of choice makes the drive home more comfortable! (y)
The Black Rapid straps are O.K, but they tend to slide around a bit.
My Peak Design strap is good, and I have the quick-release button things on all of my cameras. It makes changing cameras fast and convenient. There is an attachment that will fit Manfrotto plate-equipped and Arca Swiss compatible tripods...sort of, but still secure...and provides an additional place to put another of the quick-release buttons, in order to have the camera and lens hang with the lens more parallel to your body.
Conclusion: I like both, and the Cotton Carrier provides completely hands-free carry, when needed.
However, as always, YMMV!:)

Last edited:
I have never liked the cotton carrier as I wear binocs and I don’t like the weight of the camera on my chest. I use peak design as they are long enough for me and easy to adjust and switch onto a second body. What I have done for years is to wear a loop, lately one designed for police batons on my belt and hook the tripod mount onto it with the strap adjusted just long enough to take the weight of the camera and lens off my shoulder. I have walked over 10 miles with way with no problems using lenses as big as a Tamron 150-600g2. I now use the Nikon 600pf most times and it works great. Also I can quickdraw the lens for fast sudden action and it keeps the front of my chest free for binocs or a second body with a small lens as needed. One other thing. I tend to walk with my right hand holding the strap just above the camera so as to avoid sweat etc. working its way into the camera or lens over time as this will eat way the surfaces. When I sold my dslr gear I had to take a hit on value due to not doing this before. This setup is very stable, simple and cheap. I wouldn’t do serious climbing where you need to use your hands etc. though as in this case the camera would tend to swing a bit and as it is lower down would need to be careful. But in any normal situation it works great.

Back