My “Dumb Thumb” Moment..😒

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I think I've often moved the back control without intending to. However, I just realized recently that all the Z lenses come with a ring that will control aperture, shutter, etc. and I think I was turning that instead. I'm planning on setting that to nothing as it turns too easily, or maybe trying out shutter on it.

I think I've often moved the back control without intending to. However, I just realized recently that all the Z lenses come with a ring that will control aperture, shutter, etc. and I think I was turning that instead. I'm planning on setting that to nothing as it turns too easily, or maybe trying out shutter on it.
I’ve thought of renaming the control ring “Circus Ring”! It’s entertaining to keep track of what’s going on there…. If there were three control rings… you’d have. You know……. 🎪🎪🎪

Unfortunate, to say the least. I dislike the Nikon rear thumbwheels and they are almost impossible to work while wearing glove liners on a Z8/Z9.
If needed I use gloves that are similar to liners and have no problem with the rear thumbwheel on my Z9's ??

These work will with pretty much all of my Z9 and Z800 controls and also on the touch screen and with my e bird entries on my iphone.
That being said I am blessed to tolerate cold so far and usually do not use gloves above 32f.

My wife on the other hand has raynaud's syndrome and her wears these gloves up into the 50's and like liners inside mittens with rechargeable heaters in them. So for her controls on her Z7II and Z50 are more of a challenge.

I was excited to get my NIKON Z600PF yesterday and have a go at the hoodies. Everything seemed to be going great! That was until I dumped the card in the computer…😒 All my images were fuzzy. Either focus was off or too much subjuct movement for the 1/1600 sec I had selected…🤔hmmmm. The exposure data told the story… I had (somehow) dropped the shutter down to 1/200 sec from 1/1600. How did that happen? I was so absorbed with the ducks in the EVF I didn’t look at the displayed data…. I revisited my shooting technique and realized I occasionally drag my thumb across the rear command dial…. Duh…. 🤓”DUMB THUMB”! I simply got distracted when I moved my thumb across to focus…. The soft “hoodies” are shown below…
View attachment 76522

View attachment 76523

View attachment 76524

View attachment 76525
I have never fumble fingered or thumbed a shot before and if you if you believe that I have a great buy on a bridge for you :)

I had a similar problem with the control ring on some of the lenses. I set to ISO initially. Then I found some images way over or under exposed. Seems it’s too easy to brush against and change settings. The only one not set to nothing is the z24-120/4 which is a tad stiffer. My bad habits haunting me 😂😂😂
Patrick, I've had the same issue with the control ring, with the same results. I've since removed any function being attached to the control ring.

i think this is part of getting used to a new camera/layout. i kept accidentally hitting portrait controls on the z9 at first. but i no longer have that problem and didn’t do anything special. i think each time you do it, it’s a little negative reinforcement and eventually you just train yourself out of it.

you can go into the menu and adjust how easily the control ring moves ... I use it all the time .... however I use mostly Z800 and hand hold target rifle style with the tripod foot ... a longer after market one ... resting in the palm of my hand ... keeps my palm and fingers away from the controls until I want them there.

you can go into the menu and adjust how easily the control ring moves ... I use it all the time .... however I use mostly Z800 and hand hold target rifle style with the tripod foot ... a longer after market one ... resting in the palm of my hand ... keeps my palm and fingers away from the controls until I want them there.
Excellent tip Ken! Thanks..👍

Back