My wife wants Canon, but I'm shooting Nikon.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Canon R5 + RF 100–500
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Length : 270 mm (edge–to–edge of photo)
Weight : 2035 g

Trivia:
  • There've been some interesting shutter 'speeds' displayed below photos posted on the BCG Forum, but I think Apple might just win any competition with what's shown in my iPhone's data above.

Last edited:
View attachment 90694

Length : 270 mm (edge–to–edge of photo)
Weight : 2035 g

Trivia:
  • There've been some interesting shutter 'speeds' displayed below photos posted on the BCG Forum, but I think Apple might just win any competition with what's shown in my iPhone's data above.
Dave, what's happened to the lens hood ? Personally I always keep it on, also, the 150L really needs the 1.4x Teleconverter to shine.

Oliver

Good question. I think what I’m seeking is opinions on how valuable built in TC is versus having more redundancy or backups on a trip. There’s no cost difference to me whether I get a canon 600 versus a Nikon 600 f4 TC. The advantage of getting the Nikon is the built-in TC and I already have familiarity with both systems and a Z8. The advantage of going back to Canon 100% for both of us is that I have backup bodies for the 600 and more interchangeable options.
The 600 f/4 TC is worth it. The built in TC is extremely valuable as a photographer, in part because of how good it works at 840 mm. It delivers the best TC images I’ve ever been able to get and it does so at a fair distance. And don’t dismiss the lens’s usefulness for shooting people as well as wildlife.

I could go on and on about how great the lens is and you would still be amazed when you start shooting with it. I guarantee it’s better than you expect, even if your expectations for it are pretty high.

She really wants the R5 ii so “happy wife equals happy life”. If I get that for her, then she’s OK with me getting a 600 f4. That seems like a pretty good deal to me :) I am the more avid shooter, and in a worst case scenario she would let me have the R5 and 100–500 while she just used binoculars. I think she would prefer that over using a backup Nikon camera. That’s why we’re definitely having to use Canon for her. But I could use either system.
I have Z8 and R5 love both but I have a feeling R1 R5II is going to smoke anything from Nikon or Sony, I still kind of think R5 is still a little better at focusing than Nikon (At least that's what it seems like to me)
Nikon has to stop giving only jpeg features like that dumb 11mp jpeg only pre capture.

I have Z8 and R5 love both but I have a feeling R1 R5II is going to smoke anything from Nikon or Sony, I still kind of think R5 is still a little better at focusing than Nikon (At least that's what it seems like to me)
Nikon has to stop giving only jpeg features like that dumb 11mp jpeg only pre capture.
Interesting take and what is the basis for your claims? I doubt that it will "smoke anything from Nikon or Sony" and at best the R5II may offer parity or a slight improvement. Yes, I've always felt that the four-year-old R5 had better AF than the Z8/Z9 and it may have more to do with the dual pixel AF design more so than anything else. Nonetheless, the Z8/Z9 have very good af (and in some situations are better), and the larger buffers, longer battery life, real time EVF display (instead of a slide show), more (and adjustable) FPS, better video AF, better astro, and lack of RS - not to mention the array of long lenses - are reasons that the Z8/Z9 are and will likely continue to be better than the Canon offering.

Interesting take and what is the basis for your claims? I doubt that it will "smoke anything from Nikon or Sony" and at best the R5II may offer parity or a slight improvement. Yes, I've always felt that the four-year-old R5 had better AF than the Z8/Z9 and it may have more to do with the dual pixel AF design more so than anything else. Nonetheless, the Z8/Z9 have very good af (and in some situations are better), and the larger buffers, longer battery life, real time EVF display (instead of a slide show), more (and adjustable) FPS, better video AF, better astro, and lack of RS - not to mention the array of long lenses - are reasons that the Z8/Z9 are and will likely continue to be better than the Canon offering.
My claims are zilch lol and your probably 100% right, I guess my claims would be from the rumored specs so maybe I need to stop watching YouTube videos. But as far as focus goes as I said (could be just me) but not really much in it IMO as Nikon is great also, But truth be told if I had to choose one it would probably be Nikon considering lenses and I still think Nikon has the best files coming out of camera.

It will certainly leap ahead of the current z9/z8 in certain respects, but the z9 is almost due for its own upgrade within a year or two. And I'm sure Sony is ready to pounce with the next a1. Right now the current R5 is plenty fine for me where I'm looking at lenses more than bodies.

tbh, i would each just get the primary gear you both want (her, the r5ii, and you, your 600 tc) and worry about backups and other gear later
Yeah, that's what we've decided to do. Maybe someday Canon will have the lenses I'm looking for and we can be on just one system. As I said before, I have no problem with either body (R5 or Z8). I also want her to be happy, so I'll get her the R5ii. :). And I'll stick with Nikon for now.

My claims are zilch lol and your probably 100% right, I guess my claims would be from the rumored specs so maybe I need to stop watching YouTube videos. But as far as focus goes as I said (could be just me) but not really much in it IMO as Nikon is great also, But truth be told if I had to choose one it would probably be Nikon considering lenses and I still think Nikon has the best files coming out of camera.
Folks will say anything on YT to gain clicks. It’s likely that the R5mkii will provide significant improvements in the areas mentioned and will undoubtedly be a fine body. For my primary photography interests, Canon has neglected the lens segment. Had they not, I never would have made Nikon my primary equipment. FWIW, I still like the Canon files the best of the three majors; they take care of highlights better than Nikon and their color is better than the yellow green mess of Sony.

I'm stuck between two systems: Canon & Nikon. I started with Canon, but switched over to Nikon because of the 800pf lens. But I kept some of the Canon gear because now my wife shoots it. She wants to stay on Canon and is interested in the Canon R5 II to pair with the 100-500 that we have. I've been saving up for a 600 f4 because I'm finding that 800 is often too much and a want to prioritize having more light over reach. So my dilema is:
  • I actually prefer the Canon bodies and ergonomics and my wife DEFINITELY does and doesn't want to be on just the Nikon system.
  • From a lens standpoint, I'm inclined to stay on Nikon and get the 600 TC and let her stay on Canon
  • Gear for a trip would R5 + 100-500; Z8 + 600 TC
  • Back up camera/lens is unknown given the two systems...looking for suggestions
I could consider the R5+100-500 as a backup to the Nikon setup, but I'm thinking that a second Z8 body would be better so I don't loose access to the 600 TC on a trip. I can't see getting the Z 100-400 since that's redundant with the 100-500 and I'd prefer not to have 3 bodies since a second Z8 would be collecting dust when it's not being used as a backup.

Am I overvaluing the built-in TC and I should just get the Canon RF 600 F4 and a second R5? There is no scenario where we don't have Canon for my wife. I'm perfectly happy with the Canon bodies, but don't like the idea of swapping out TCs in the field. That's the ONLY reason that I would be on two systems. I have no concerns about IQ, AF, or ability to get shots on either system.

Can someone tell me I'm crazy for using Nikon just for the 600 TC and Canon for everything else?
I like canon cameras but due to my wife using Nikon I went with that Thinking I could use all of her hand me downs. Now years later she uses an iphone and I have two Z8 and four z lenses, 24-120f4, 100-400z, 400f4.5z and the 600pfz as well as both TCs. I’m a happy guy! I would prefer to stay on one system and having 2 z8s both programmed the same way is great. With my gear I can go from 24mm to 1200mm in a pinch but I love the 600mm range for birds.

For clarification around the jpg in precapture, the 11mp is only if using 120/fps. Otherwise it is 45mp but still jpg.

I think the “better” af is very scenario dependent and there are some things canon does better than the others.

I'm stuck between two systems: Canon & Nikon. I started with Canon, but switched over to Nikon because of the 800pf lens. But I kept some of the Canon gear because now my wife shoots it. She wants to stay on Canon and is interested in the Canon R5 II to pair with the 100-500 that we have. I've been saving up for a 600 f4 because I'm finding that 800 is often too much and a want to prioritize having more light over reach. So my dilema is:
  • I actually prefer the Canon bodies and ergonomics and my wife DEFINITELY does and doesn't want to be on just the Nikon system.
  • From a lens standpoint, I'm inclined to stay on Nikon and get the 600 TC and let her stay on Canon
  • Gear for a trip would R5 + 100-500; Z8 + 600 TC
  • Back up camera/lens is unknown given the two systems...looking for suggestions
I could consider the R5+100-500 as a backup to the Nikon setup, but I'm thinking that a second Z8 body would be better so I don't loose access to the 600 TC on a trip. I can't see getting the Z 100-400 since that's redundant with the 100-500 and I'd prefer not to have 3 bodies since a second Z8 would be collecting dust when it's not being used as a backup.

Am I overvaluing the built-in TC and I should just get the Canon RF 600 F4 and a second R5? There is no scenario where we don't have Canon for my wife. I'm perfectly happy with the Canon bodies, but don't like the idea of swapping out TCs in the field. That's the ONLY reason that I would be on two systems. I have no concerns about IQ, AF, or ability to get shots on either system.

Can someone tell me I'm crazy for using Nikon just for the 600 TC and Canon for everything else?
A happy wife, a happy life. Choices in life can be a *****...

Back