My Yellowstone Hotspots Map

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
(I sent this out in the newsletter today, but wanted to share it here as well - if your not on my free e-mail newsletter, you're missing stuff like this all the time :) You can sign up at the main site, upper left corner - https://backcountrygallery.com )

I always have people asking, "Where should I look for wildlife in Yellowstone?" So, I highlighted a little map showing the roads where I see the highest concentration of critters.

However, before you use it, keep in mind this is anecdotal and based ONLY on my personal experience - and most of the time I go in either early summer or fall. So, your mileage may vary, but at least it's a place to start. :)

08b9d0a11b7d431ea8dfcc8737e17ca4.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Here's a larger version:

Enjoy!

Last edited:
FWIW, I'd also say it's very seasonal. For instance that area just West of the Madison campground and along the river is often amazing for Bull Elk in autumn and the stretch from Old Faithful heading North can be great right about now when the Bison are dropping their red dogs.

FWIW, I'd also say it's very seasonal. For instance that area just West of the Madison campground and along the river is often amazing for Bull Elk in autumn and the stretch from Old Faithful heading North can be great right about now when the Bison are dropping their red dogs.
Oh yeah, I kind of figured that. The map seems to work well for summer / fall. I'm heading out there in a few of weeks, you know, just to verify :)

Green and yellow covers literally hundreds of miles of driving Really just green is probably a hundred.

The largest part in green is Gardiner to Cook City - 55 miles total. It's a big place.
We like to find lodging or camping in the canyon area, always something going on in Hayden Valley. Plus it clears out a bit traffic wise as golden hour approaches.

I completely agree with the hotspots and cold spots. I'd rate the area around Biscuit Basin and Grand Prismatic a little higher for bison in fall and winter. Duck Lake near West Thumb has also been productive on occasion.

Most of these areas also have good landscape opportunities, but it requires a different mindset. My favorite "lesser known" area is Blacktail Ponds. And of Course, Lamar Valley is terrific for landscapes with the south side of the valley providing a shaded background very similar to Yosemite. Blacktail Plateau Dr. is also good for wildlife early in the day.

(I sent this out in the newsletter today, but wanted to share it here as well - if your not on my free e-mail newsletter, you're missing stuff like this all the time :) You can sign up at the main site, upper left corner - https://backcountrygallery.com )

I always have people asking, "Where should I look for wildlife in Yellowstone?" So, I highlighted a little map showing the roads where I see the highest concentration of critters.

However, before you use it, keep in mind this is anecdotal and based ONLY on my personal experience - and most of the time I go in either early summer or fall. So, you're mileage may vary, but at least it's a place to start. :)

Here's a larger version:

Enjoy!
Great map, Steve - very helpful! Completely agree that Lamar Valley is THE #1 area for wildlife of almost all kinds. Just to add a few of my own personal observations: Baronette Peak is a great spot for observing Mountain Goats, but generally they're way too far away for photographs. Calcite Springs, just south of Tower-Roosevelt, is often good for Bighorn Sheep. A little farther afield is the truly spectacular drive along the Beartooth Highway, where Pika and Marmots are very common in summer and early fall. Generally speaking, it's hard to go wrong in Yellowstone, except for the crowds.

Great map Steve, I agree with you - Lamar valley is my favorite route. I live in northern Montana and have been going to Yellowstone every year for over a decade. Just got back a few days ago and can report that the wildlife is very active. Bear activity was very high, saw grizzlies and black bears daily often with cubs. Saw and photographed some wolves along the river, multiple moose sightings near Cook city area, usual bison and red dogs everywhere. Super good trip, good weather and lots of images to post process. Good luck to you guys going in a few weeks.

For me, I would have included the entire Fishing Bridge road all the way past the East Entrance in green.

I agree. Between the owls and bears it's a great stretch.
You guys are making me think I need to check out that road a little more. I've seen things there, but it's usually not as active as Lamar, etc.

Back