My Yellowstone Hotspots Map

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've lived in Gardiner now for over a year and I'm out shooting, depending on the time of year, 3 to 6 days a week from sunrise to sunset. As @Steve indicates, animal sightings are very seasonal. At the moment there is a lot of grizzly activity along the East Entrance road from the Mary Bay and Sedge Bay areas east to the Teton Overlook. This is the area where the grizzlies Jam, Snow and her two cubs, Raspberry, and a couple more, hang out. On your way there, you'll pass the Mud Volcano, just past Hayden Valley, where griz 864 and her two cubs hang out (however, it appears 864 just recently kicked her cubs out). If you continue further East past the Teton Overlook there is a good chance you will see Bighorn Sheep beyond the Sylvan Lake area. In addition, the long stretch of road beginning from Phantom Lake along the North Loop to Tower Falls, which passes by Blacktail Pond and the Northeast Entrance Road has seen a great deal of black bear activity (to include some beautiful Cinnamon Black Bears) with cubs. There has also been some grizzly activity there as well. If you're interested in Harlequin Ducks, LeHardy Rapids on the Yellowstone River is where they are currently located and will be there until July. You will pass the Rapids on the way to the East Entrance and before Fishing Bridge. Beginning now and for the next couple of months, the indigenous trout begin heading towards their breeding grounds in Yellowstone Lake, near Pelican Bay, and from LeHardy rapids you can photograph them jumping upstream. I have a great shot of that from last year. Have not yet seen them jumping yet this year. If you're headed south from Mammoth towards Norris Junction, along that road in the area of Roaring Mountain and Frying Pan Creek the Grizzly Beryl with her two cubs have been spotted quite often and the Grizzly Obsidian with her three cubs has also been spotted. I've photographed Beryl and her cubs in that area just this past week and though I have yet to see Obsidian, I believe my sources to be reliable and accurate. I have found, and many can quibble with me, that but both Lamar and Hayden Valleys haven't offered me consistently good shooting opportunities because the animals are frequently just too far away. Having said that, however, I have gotten good shots of Coyotes there and a couple wolves in Lamar, and also a great shooting opportunity of a Bobcat this Spring. If you're looking for wolves, just keep an eye out for fairly large groups of folks with scopes. These are the "wolfies." Pull over, introduce yourself politely, and because 99% of them are extremely nice and helpful, they will let you look at the wolves through their spotting scopes. Places for wolves include Slough Creek where the Junction Butte Pack has denned, Jasper's Bench (possibly) in Lamar Valley and places I don't know in Hayden Valley because I spend little time shooting dots on the horizon. If you're looking for Osprey, there is a nest prominently exposed and visible just west of the western end of the Lamar Canyon with a large pull out. It's near the construction site. There is an area on the way to Mary and Sedge bays called Storm Point and Indian Pond that is just East of Fishing Bridge, where there are trails leading to Yellowstone Lake. This area is known for Great Gray Owls, but while people swear by it for the owls, I've turned up nothing yet - though, I'm not done. Just a word of warning that it is an active bear area, do not walk the paths alone, go in groups, carry bear spray, and be very careful. Hope this helps the folks headed for Yellowstone prior to the middle of July. My experience is by mid-July the animals change their patterns and head for higher ground and different food sources. One last thing, don't over look taking the Old Yellowstone Trail leading out of Gardiner. It's a dirt road and there are elk and bighorn sheep to be seem along with pronghorns. July thru December, but mostly October/November is the bighorn rut, and it is something to see. The rut for elk begins September thru October. Bison rut occurs in August-September. Bear rut is now through June. If your're looking for moose, the Tetons is the place to go September through December primarily along the Gros Ventre Road near the campground. Well, that's all I have. Hope it helps
This was great information .. Thank you very Much !!!!

Thanks for the map! Would be nice if you chose another shade of green as my color deficient eyes can't distinguish the green and yellow. I might be able to get around it by altering it in Photoshop.

I've lived in Gardiner now for over a year and I'm out shooting, depending on the time of year, 3 to 6 days a week from sunrise to sunset. As @Steve indicates, animal sightings are very seasonal. At the moment there is a lot of grizzly activity along the East Entrance road from the Mary Bay and Sedge Bay areas east to the Teton Overlook. This is the area where the grizzlies Jam, Snow and her two cubs, Raspberry, and a couple more, hang out. On your way there, you'll pass the Mud Volcano, just past Hayden Valley, where griz 864 and her two cubs hang out (however, it appears 864 just recently kicked her cubs out). If you continue further East past the Teton Overlook there is a good chance you will see Bighorn Sheep beyond the Sylvan Lake area. In addition, the long stretch of road beginning from Phantom Lake along the North Loop to Tower Falls, which passes by Blacktail Pond and the Northeast Entrance Road has seen a great deal of black bear activity (to include some beautiful Cinnamon Black Bears) with cubs. There has also been some grizzly activity there as well. If you're interested in Harlequin Ducks, LeHardy Rapids on the Yellowstone River is where they are currently located and will be there until July. You will pass the Rapids on the way to the East Entrance and before Fishing Bridge. Beginning now and for the next couple of months, the indigenous trout begin heading towards their breeding grounds in Yellowstone Lake, near Pelican Bay, and from LeHardy rapids you can photograph them jumping upstream. I have a great shot of that from last year. Have not yet seen them jumping yet this year. If you're headed south from Mammoth towards Norris Junction, along that road in the area of Roaring Mountain and Frying Pan Creek the Grizzly Beryl with her two cubs have been spotted quite often and the Grizzly Obsidian with her three cubs has also been spotted. I've photographed Beryl and her cubs in that area just this past week and though I have yet to see Obsidian, I believe my sources to be reliable and accurate. I have found, and many can quibble with me, that but both Lamar and Hayden Valleys haven't offered me consistently good shooting opportunities because the animals are frequently just too far away. Having said that, however, I have gotten good shots of Coyotes there and a couple wolves in Lamar, and also a great shooting opportunity of a Bobcat this Spring. If you're looking for wolves, just keep an eye out for fairly large groups of folks with scopes. These are the "wolfies." Pull over, introduce yourself politely, and because 99% of them are extremely nice and helpful, they will let you look at the wolves through their spotting scopes. Places for wolves include Slough Creek where the Junction Butte Pack has denned, Jasper's Bench (possibly) in Lamar Valley and places I don't know in Hayden Valley because I spend little time shooting dots on the horizon. If you're looking for Osprey, there is a nest prominently exposed and visible just west of the western end of the Lamar Canyon with a large pull out. It's near the construction site. There is an area on the way to Mary and Sedge bays called Storm Point and Indian Pond that is just East of Fishing Bridge, where there are trails leading to Yellowstone Lake. This area is known for Great Gray Owls, but while people swear by it for the owls, I've turned up nothing yet - though, I'm not done. Just a word of warning that it is an active bear area, do not walk the paths alone, go in groups, carry bear spray, and be very careful. Hope this helps the folks headed for Yellowstone prior to the middle of July. My experience is by mid-July the animals change their patterns and head for higher ground and different food sources. One last thing, don't over look taking the Old Yellowstone Trail leading out of Gardiner. It's a dirt road and there are elk and bighorn sheep to be seem along with pronghorns. July thru December, but mostly October/November is the bighorn rut, and it is something to see. The rut for elk begins September thru October. Bison rut occurs in August-September. Bear rut is now through June. If your're looking for moose, the Tetons is the place to go September through December primarily along the Gros Ventre Road near the campground. Well, that's all I have. Hope it helps
Thank you, Paul. Very informative!

(I sent this out in the newsletter today, but wanted to share it here as well - if your not on my free e-mail newsletter, you're missing stuff like this all the time :) You can sign up at the main site, upper left corner - https://backcountrygallery.com )

I always have people asking, "Where should I look for wildlife in Yellowstone?" So, I highlighted a little map showing the roads where I see the highest concentration of critters.

However, before you use it, keep in mind this is anecdotal and based ONLY on my personal experience - and most of the time I go in either early summer or fall. So, your mileage may vary, but at least it's a place to start. :)

View attachment 89543
Here's a larger version:

Enjoy!

any chance you have one of the for Grand Tetons? Heading there in July. Thanks Steve!

You might find moose around Moose. They hang out below the bridge as you go toward Dornan's. Also moose in the area near the Rockefeller preserve. If you hike to inspiration point keep going on the Cascade Canyon trail along the water. Bears in them there hills. Might be bear around Taggart lake. There was a recent bear attack on Signal Mountain. Bring or rent bear spray.

Perfect timing for this map and this discussion. My wife and I are heading to Yellowstone on Tuesday. Lots of great info in this thread. We are mostly interested in the wildlife so this has been a great discussion. I have to admit though that I'm a little apprehensive about running into a grizzly on the trail. I've seen black bears in the Adirondack Mountains but never encountered grizzlies before. I will be definately be carrying bear spray. Do you think it's safe for my wife and I to be hiking away from the popular spots and out on the trails with just the 2 of us?

Thanks,
Greg

Perfect timing for this map and this discussion. My wife and I are heading to Yellowstone on Tuesday. Lots of great info in this thread. We are mostly interested in the wildlife so this has been a great discussion. I have to admit though that I'm a little apprehensive about running into a grizzly on the trail. I've seen black bears in the Adirondack Mountains but never encountered grizzlies before. I will be definately be carrying bear spray. Do you think it's safe for my wife and I to be hiking away from the popular spots and out on the trails with just the 2 of us?

Thanks,
Greg
The word from NPS and Bear Management personnel I’ve come to know is to hike in groups or follow a group, everyone carries bear spray and knows when and how to use it, you make plenty of noise ( forget the use of bear bells), and pay attention to signs indicating recent bear activity in the area, like tracks and fresh skat. Humans are not on their menu, but if you accidentally surprise a bear, black or grizzly, they may attack. This is baby bear season and many sows have cubs, and those bears will be overly protective of their cubs, so extra caution is required. If you encounter a bear, and it’s happened to me several times (one at a close range of thirty yards - it snuck up on me while shooting a pano on Jackson Lake) you do NOT turn your back and above all you do NOT run. Speak gently to the bear and back up away from the bear‘s direction of travel, trying to make yourself as large appearing as possible. Bears are generally disinterested in people and will avoid them. They are not looking for a fight but as I’ve said frightening one or getting too close to a bear with cubs is inviting trouble. So far this year, there has been two attacks I know of. One outside the park near the West Entrance where a female was jogging with ear buds and she was attacked and killed by a Griz. Recently there was another attack, i believe near Signal Mountain where a photographer accidentally surprised a grizzly and was attacked and seriously injured. Neither bear was euthanized because the attacks were classed as defensive actions by the bears.

I’m a solo photographer, I travel alone, generally shoot from the road or travel only relatively short distances down paths with open views in all directions, unless I’m on a busy trail. I never travel far off the road alone, when I do venture out I’m with other photographers and we carry on a continuing discussion. I’ve also considered carrying along with the bear spray a small marine air horn that I can use to warn bears from much further away from me of my presence than the effective distance of bear spray which is only about 30 yards at best and possibly scare them off. Perhaps I’m overly cautious but no photo is worth risking injury or death. Ultimately the decision rests with you, but I would not, during this time of year, hike an untraveled path with just one other person, particularly if the path has hidden turns and your vision is otherwise obscured by trees and hills.

I got grizzly shots in both those places last week. It was a very good week for me. We may have crossed paths.
were you by any chance on the road to tower falls with the black bear off the right side of the road? you look familiar. i also shot Obsidian and her 3 cubs in the morning (in the snow) and afternoon across the road just north of Roaring Mountain.

The word from NPS and Bear Management personnel I’ve come to know is to hike in groups or follow a group, everyone carries bear spray and knows when and how to use it, you make plenty of noise ( forget the use of bear bells), and pay attention to signs indicating recent bear activity in the area, like tracks and fresh skat. Humans are not on their menu, but if you accidentally surprise a bear, black or grizzly, they may attack. This is baby bear season and many sows have cubs, and those bears will be overly protective of their cubs, so extra caution is required. If you encounter a bear, and it’s happened to me several times (one at a close range of thirty yards - it snuck up on me while shooting a pano on Jackson Lake) you do NOT turn your back and above all you do NOT run. Speak gently to the bear and back up away from the bear‘s direction of travel, trying to make yourself as large appearing as possible. Bears are generally disinterested in people and will avoid them. They are not looking for a fight but as I’ve said frightening one or getting too close to a bear with cubs is inviting trouble. So far this year, there has been two attacks I know of. One outside the park near the West Entrance where a female was jogging with ear buds and she was attacked and killed by a Griz. Recently there was another attack, i believe near Signal Mountain where a photographer accidentally surprised a grizzly and was attacked and seriously injured. Neither bear was euthanized because the attacks were classed as defensive actions by the bears.

I’m a solo photographer, I travel alone, generally shoot from the road or travel only relatively short distances down paths with open views in all directions, unless I’m on a busy trail. I never travel far off the road alone, when I do venture out I’m with other photographers and we carry on a continuing discussion. I’ve also considered carrying along with the bear spray a small marine air horn that I can use to warn bears from much further away from me of my presence than the effective distance of bear spray which is only about 30 yards at best and possibly scare them off. Perhaps I’m overly cautious but no photo is worth risking injury or death. Ultimately the decision rests with you, but I would not, during this time of year, hike an untraveled path with just one other person, particularly if the path has hidden turns and your vision is otherwise obscured by trees and hills.
Thanks Paul, this is what I was looking for. I am not a risk taker so I will be following your advice. This is our first trip to Yellowstone but from what I've read there should be plenty of places to hike where we won't be alone on the trail.
Thanks, Greg

were you by any chance on the road to tower falls with the black bear off the right side of the road? you look familiar. i also shot Obsidian and her 3 cubs in the morning (in the snow) and afternoon across the road just north of Roaring Mountain.
Yes, I did shoot a black bear there. I didn't see Obsidian.

any chance you have one of the for Grand Tetons? Heading there in July. Thanks Steve!
I just left the Teton and the Gross Ventre Road/ River has moose this time of year (not sure about july) Photographed a cow with her one week old calf yesterday morning at sunrise and a cow with slightly older calf at sunset the day before. Pilgrim Creek road is known for Bears. 399 has been in that area with her yearling recently. I was lucky enough to photograph her two days ago. In my experience sunrise and sunset are the best, Tetons get very hot midday. Enjoy

Great writeup. Thanks. I'm in West Yellowstone heading to Gardiner tomorrow, Just to update on June 2nd, yesterday there was a bore at the intersection of Fishing Bridge and the Loop Road. Also yesterday the obsidian family ( mom and 3 cubs) was out around noon for quite a while. Today June 3rd, snow and her two cubs were spotted at Indian Pond. Apparently she is moving eastward.

Please post if you find the gray owl. I search supposed locations in the Tetons but no luck.

I'm in Gardiner now until Friday around noon when I head to Teton NP for three days. Not a lot going on in Lamar, some black bear activity but not like I've seen it in prior years. I have photographed the Obsidian sow. The harlequin ducks are at their usual spot. I heard there was two wolves around Yellowstone lake but I have not seen them and I'll head back there tomorrow. I got a quick peek at a black wolf today and then it was gone...darn! Lots of rain and wind today so not a great day for shooting. Got a pic of some male moose, there was three of them, at Pebble Creek, you have to walk down the old driveway to the back by the trees. I have seen several Black bear but only one was a good shot, I'm much more picky than I used to be. Got a nice bison shot in Hayden Valley, rolling on the ground and throwing dirt so that was nice. Sprayed myself with bear spray by accident so I now know how easy it is to use that bear spray lever!

Back