My Yellowstone Hotspots Map

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Someone spotted a grizzly with five cubs today in Yellowstone.
Really? Maybe they counted a couple twice? I'm here and no one has mentioned this so I bet their information is faulty. People did see today a black bear with three cubs, kind of unusual. The grizzly near Obsidian has three yearlings and the Beryl Springs one, which I have not seen, has only one cub, I think it might be a COY. The black bear near the Tower store has two cubs and another black bear in that area has two cubs, one black and one blonde. Have not heard of any others. People do get confused easily.

On another note...beware of the Bison....On June 1 an 81-year old woman got critically gored by a bison, this was by Yellowstone River. I happened to see all the ranger trucks hurrying to the scene, there was probably at least 10 ranger vehicles there. She was taken by helicopter from the hospital here to somewhere else. This was all reported by an official using the Yellowstone NP Facebook book. They gave no details on how it happened or her current condition.

Really? Maybe they counted a couple twice? I'm here and no one has mentioned this so I bet their information is faulty. People did see today a black bear with three cubs, kind of unusual. The grizzly near Obsidian has three yearlings and the Beryl Springs one, which I have not seen, has only one cub, I think it might be a COY. The black bear near the Tower store has two cubs and another black bear in that area has two cubs, one black and one blonde. Have not heard of any others. People do get confused easily.

On another note...beware of the Bison....On June 1 an 81-year old woman got critically gored by a bison, this was by Yellowstone River. I happened to see all the ranger trucks hurrying to the scene, there was probably at least 10 ranger vehicles there. She was taken by helicopter from the hospital here to somewhere else. This was all reported by an official using the Yellowstone NP Facebook book. They gave no details on how it happened or her current condition.
You are correct that Obsidian has three yearlings. Beryl also has three yearlings. I’ve seen them both numerous times and photographed them with their cubs. There was a sow spotted in Little America that has five coys in tow, whether they are all hers, or she adopted one or more, which happens, is unknown. That bear headed far up Specimen Ridge last I was informed by sources I rely on and trust. I also saw a video of the six of them on Instagram that is of poor quality due to atmospherics but does not appear to have been tampered with. To add to the recent drama, there has been born very recently a white bison red dog that was first spotted in Lamar near the confluence. While I have not seen her yet, I have seen photographs and have heard reports from a number of trusted sources.

Nope. There's photographic evidence taken by a guide service.

https://fb.watch/sxGgx2jsdc/
Yes, I talked to someone today who saw her with the cubs. It's unknown of course if they are all hers or she adopted some, the current theory is she adopted. The person I talked to saw her very far away, which is part of the problem with photographing grizzles in Yellowstone, they are most often really far away on the hills. If you are lucky you get one crossing the road but I think I've only had that happen once.

You are correct that Obsidian has three yearlings. Beryl also has three yearlings. I’ve seen them both numerous times and photographed them with their cubs. There was a sow spotted in Little America that has five coys in tow, whether they are all hers, or she adopted one or more, which happens, is unknown. That bear headed far up Specimen Ridge last I was informed by sources I rely on and trust. I also saw a video of the six of them on Instagram that is of poor quality due to atmospherics but does not appear to have been tampered with. To add to the recent drama, there has been born very recently a white bison red dog that was first spotted in Lamar near the confluence. While I have not seen her yet, I have seen photographs and have heard reports from a number of trusted sources.
I saw a photograph of the white bison but it looked pretty weird to me. People were talking about that today. I was never able to spot the Beryl Springs grizzly but did spot the Obsidian grizzly again last night and got to watch her nurse her three cubs. I tried again this morning but no luck and will try again this evening.

Yes, I talked to someone today who saw her with the cubs. It's unknown of course if they are all hers or she adopted some, the current theory is she adopted. The person I talked to saw her very far away, which is part of the problem with photographing grizzles in Yellowstone, they are most often really far away on the hills. If you are lucky you get one crossing the road but I think I've only had that happen once.

Huh. I've never not gotten fairly close shots of grizzlies in Yellowstone in May.
This is just one of ten different grizzlies I photographed this May.

174583256.jpg

Huh. I've never not gotten fairly close shots of grizzlies in Yellowstone in May.

174583256.jpg
Same for me, I was there 2 weeks ago and I was too close for comfort on a couple of occasions. All of them were close enough to the road to get a shot with a 500mm lens with little to no cropping. Got some great shots.

I went in today for a couple short trips to Canyon Junction, one in the early morning, one in the evening. Saw six grizzlies, four of them close enough for photos. A sow and two yearlings near Mary Bay, Raspberry and her new COY near Lake Butte Overlook and 864's recently emancipated 2.5-year-old cub near Mud Volcano.

The white bison appears to be a legitimate sighting and I imagine this will make the already crowded park even more crowded.

Maybe that'll keep all the tourists over on the Lamar side. I'll gladly stay on the other side of the park. I've never felt the need to get the latest big thing, whether that be 399 and her four cubs or the white bison.

BTW, a couple bits of news. Some people are saying it looks as if the white bison calf has been predated.
Also, if you were planning on going to Grand Teton and staying in Driggs, it's time to make new reservations.
road.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

BTW, a couple bits of news. Some people are saying it looks as if the white bison calf has been predated.
Also, if you were planning on going to Grand Teton and staying in Driggs, it's time to make new reservations.
View attachment 90941

Don't be tempted to take Grassy Lake Road (starts at Headwaters Ranch). It is unimproved and very bad. We did it once in an Outback once never again but that was not the vehicle you need for a road like that.

Last edited:

174583256.jpg
I did not say one could not get close shots at times. I, too, have gotten close shots at times. Most of the time, however, the grizzlies are far away, that is all I said. The black bears, however, are often at the road and referred to as "road bears" because of that. Perhaps you are more lucky than most people.

I did not say one could not get close shots at times. I, too, have gotten close shots at times. Most of the time, however, the grizzlies are far away, that is all I said. The black bears, however, are often at the road and referred to as "road bears" because of that. Perhaps you are more lucky than most people.

Maybe, but I don't think so. I think it's more a matter of knowing the habits of bears and where they frequent.

Maybe, but I don't think so. I think it's more a matter of knowing the habits of bears and where they frequent.
Why make it a big deal? I do know those things and did look in the right spots and have gotten shots that are close up. Perhaps we also want different types of images. It's ok to have these differences without making it a big deal.

I’m planning for a trip this summer with our family. (12 adults and 9 critters ranging from 3-14 years)
One of our destinations will be YP so great info Steve.
(Still looking for a good RV rental company, I need 6 RV’s for 6 weeks)

It seems a lot of folks rent RV's out of salt lake city. Just an impression from seeing what is on the roads.

Back