Need Help -- switching out Nikon tripod foot for RRS foot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Let's start with a proven conclusion: Simply I'm clueless in the handy person realm. Truly,

In any event, my 180-400 has arrived. I have an RRS replacement foot. In the absence of any meaningful instructions (or understanding on my part to even know if I'm asking the right questions): 1) To replace the Nikon lens foot, do I simply use the allan key (supplied by RRS) to remove the Nikon foot and then using the same screws install the RRS foot? (also, are the screws threaded traditionally -- eg right to tighten ? 2) There is, or is not, involvement of the lens collar (eg replacement) in the foot replacement process? 3) Once installed the RRS foot will be the arca plate, no need to add a separate plate? 4) Bonus question: RRS includes a very short screw with the replacement foot; any ideas why/what for?

OR should I simply add an arca plate to the original lens foot?

Thanks much.

-Steven

No worries, we'll get ya through it :)

1. Yes - although sometimes they will supply new screws if the factory ones aren't long enough. I can't remember if that was the case with my 180-400 or not. Also, traditional right-hand threads.

2. Nope. Just the foot.

3. Nope - just use the built-in dovetail. It seems simple but it's wonderful :)

4. There should be two of those screws. They screw into the ends of the foot (bottom). They are to prevent the lens from slipping out if the quick release is partly but not completely disengaged. Use them - they have saved my lenses from time to time when I thought I had completely clamped down and didn't!

No worries, we'll get ya through it :)

1. Yes - although sometimes they will supply new screws if the factory ones aren't long enough. I can't remember if that was the case with my 180-400 or not. Also, traditional right-hand threads.

2. Nope. Just the foot.

3. Nope - just use the built-in dovetail. It seems simple but it's wonderful :)

4. There should be two of those screws. They screw into the ends of the foot (bottom). They are to prevent the lens from slipping out if the quick release is partly but not completely disengaged. Use them - they have saved my lenses from time to time when I thought I had completely clamped down and didn't!
Thanks much! And re # 4, there's only one of those screws, so presuming I should not on and off the foot and wait 'till I get a 2nd?

Oh no, wait, "screw into the bottom..." Again, thanks for your help and rapid response.
Installed and I didn't break a nail! :) Oh and not to malign the very good RRS name, the "one screw" was in fact an extra; the two required already in the foot.

That sounds more like it :) RSS is usually pretty good about making sure you have the right parts. Hang onto that extra one - they like to come out. In fact, not a terrible idea to put a little blue locktite on the little safety screws in the foot.

That sounds more like it :) RSS is usually pretty good about making sure you have the right parts. Hang onto that extra one - they like to come out. In fact, not a terrible idea to put a little blue locktite on the little safety screws in the foot.
Meant to ask in my original list of questions; and actually have blue locktite. Thank you sir!

I Usually put a drop of Loctite on these screws (purple or Blue) Don't use the red... Because I'm always worried of "stuff" coming loose at the wrong time.
Here's a related question related to not dropping it. The lens has 'eyelets' for strap anchors. The foot has one, as well. So, both peak design anchors on the lens, or one on the lens, the other on the foot?

Here's a related question related to not dropping it. The lens has 'eyelets' for strap anchors. The foot has one, as well. So, both peak design anchors on the lens, or one on the lens, the other on the foot?
I don't do any of that BUT.... when Im putting the Lens on I recommend 1) being very focused (no pun intended) don't let go of your camera / glass until you know it's locked in correctly. and 2) the most important thing, check every other knob every time you use it to make sure nothing has loosened up on you.

I don't do any of that BUT.... when Im putting the Lens on I recommend 1) being very focused (no pun intended) don't let go of your camera / glass until you know it's locked in correctly. and 2) the most important thing, check every other knob every time you use it to make sure nothing has loosened up on you.
Thank you for good good advice. Yah not a strap user much at all. Am going to throw the peak design anchors on it so the strap is a quick option. And I like puns :)

Good advice above in terms of habitually checking that everything is rock solid when mounting a big lens on a tripod before taking hands off the lens. The most common error I've seen in the field that has sent big and small camera rigs crashing to the ground is one or more tripod legs not being fully locked down or resting in some unstable way. I did it myself once and it cost me an expensive set of repairs on both the lens and camera mounts but have seen it in the field a number of times.

Now I ALWAYS firmly press down on the tripod at the top of the legs when I set up the tripod, anytime I move it and before taking my hands away from the camera and or long lens body. I'm obsessed with this enough that I'll repeat the press down every time I step back from my camera gear at all even after doing the same thing at time of setup.

I suspect you guys are doing that but since the thread talks about falling camera risks I figured it's worth getting it out there for others as it is the single most common reason I've observed for expensive camera and lens crashes.

Thanks for sharing; always worth revisiting such safety proceedures! Until now I've essentially never (other than occasionally for macro and portraits, which I usually hand hold) used a tripod. So I've got a learning curve there generally, too; I'm a disaster with loosening/tightening direction on any given leg at any given knuckle LOL). I do have an almost too strong respect for care of the gear so that should serve me well re your good check it and check it twice advice -- born I'm sure from my own accidents. I've fallen twice while hiking in wooded country, hand holding the D3 with 70-200 attached. First time I face planted and the lens went front end into the ground first. Luckily the hood was destroyed taking all the force, nothing else had a scratch (except my chest where the cam had been driven into it; second time I had a flash in the shoe and not to repeat tje using the lens to break my fall manoever of my first mishap, I swung the camera out of the way and in doing so hit a tree and broke the flash off at the shoe -- Nikon fixed that for nothing, by the way! Sadly had to pay a ransom for a new hood on that wee fall :) And speaking of tripods -- recos on preferred feet on 'standard' back country ground -- my Gitzo came with the moveable 'levelling' feet and standard rubber nubs for feet. One better than the other for stability? I've got metal claw feet on order for any work on rocky terrain in the mountains.

As for feet, it depends on the surface. If I'm on soft ground, I spin the rubber feet back exposing the spikes. If I'm on rock or ice, I use the rubber feet. One other thing to be wary of is leg spread. Most larger pods have locks that limit spread, but if you unlock one (or more) to level up on uneven terrain, be sure to relock them as you are picking up. I've had a couple of close calls when a leg decided to spread on it's own. I tend to keep a shoulder strap attached when my rig is on the tripod and I'm walking in case the plate connection fails, call it belt nd suspenders.

Do you have both ends of the strap attached on the lens at the built in anchors for those, or one there and the other on the spot available on the foot for such anchoring?

As for feet, it depends on the surface. If I'm on soft ground, I spin the rubber feet back exposing the spikes. If I'm on rock or ice, I use the rubber feet. One other thing to be wary of is leg spread. Most larger pods have locks that limit spread, but if you unlock one (or more) to level up on uneven terrain, be sure to relock them as you are picking up. I've had a couple of close calls when a leg decided to spread on it's own. I tend to keep a shoulder strap attached when my rig is on the tripod and I'm walking in case the plate connection fails, call it belt nd suspenders.

For Hard surfaces I really recommend the RRS Rock Claw feet they are Fantastic.. But they will bite you if you are not careful... they are sharp.

Do you have both ends of the strap attached on the lens at the built in anchors for those, or one there and the other on the spot available on the foot for such anchoring?
I use a modified Black Rapid strap that has the eyelet screwed into a mini arca style clamp. That clamp is attached to the lens foot. When I hand carry, I always have a hand on the lens foot, if the rig is hanging by the starp alone it's only when I'm standing and only for as long as I need to use both hands. I've never used the strap lugs on the lens barrel, have never trusted a strap through a buckle-like retainer. I had an issue years ago where my D5 with 200-500 attached (both less than 3 months old) was around my neck/shoulder by a camera strap to the D5 strap lugs. I suddenly felt the strap sliding, the strap end pulled off the camera lug. I was able to grab the strap and lessen the impact but it still cost me a lens hood. After that I ran some nylon thread thru every strap connection. If you are using the lens lugs, I'd suggest sewing the strap ends together. If you need to get them off you'll have to cut the thread but it shouldn't come undone without help.

I use a modified Black Rapid strap that has the eyelet screwed into a mini arca style clamp. That clamp is attached to the lens foot. When I hand carry, I always have a hand on the lens foot, if the rig is hanging by the starp alone it's only when I'm standing and only for as long as I need to use both hands. I've never used the strap lugs on the lens barrel, have never trusted a strap through a buckle-like retainer. I had an issue years ago where my D5 with 200-500 attached (both less than 3 months old) was around my neck/shoulder by a camera strap to the D5 strap lugs. I suddenly felt the strap sliding, the strap end pulled off the camera lug. I was able to grab the strap and lessen the impact but it still cost me a lens hood. After that I ran some nylon thread thru every strap connection. If you are using the lens lugs, I'd suggest sewing the strap ends together. If you need to get them off you'll have to cut the thread but it shouldn't come undone without help.
Thanks. I've got a peak design strap and anchors; not that one can trust anything absolutely.

I use peak design strap and I usually have one end on the L bracket and one one the lens foot. That’s just my way. It’s comfortable and stable

Good advice above in terms of habitually checking that everything is rock solid when mounting a big lens on a tripod before taking hands off the lens. The most common error I've seen in the field that has sent big and small camera rigs crashing to the ground is one or more tripod legs not being fully locked down or resting in some unstable way. I did it myself once and it cost me an expensive set of repairs on both the lens and camera mounts but have seen it in the field a number of times.

Now I ALWAYS firmly press down on the tripod at the top of the legs when I set up the tripod, anytime I move it and before taking my hands away from the camera and or long lens body. I'm obsessed with this enough that I'll repeat the press down every time I step back from my camera gear at all even after doing the same thing at time of setup.

I suspect you guys are doing that but since the thread talks about falling camera risks I figured it's worth getting it out there for others as it is the single most common reason I've observed for expensive camera and lens crashes.
It's a real nice feeling when you are set up on a sheer cliff and you feel one of the legs start to slide. Instant heart beat spike!

Back