Need Helping Deciding if I Should Sell Some Beloved Gear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Crr008

Supporting Member
Marketplace
My gear is now split between Nikon's mirrorless Z mount and F mount gear. I need some help reasoning out keeping or selling some beloved gear. Background: My D850 is my first higher end DSLR and I love it. However, I now have the Z8 and over the past 4-5 months, I have grown confident in using it. When I first got the Z8, I would also pack my D850 when I would go out to shoot. It was sort of a back up (mentally in most situations) in case I couldn't manage the new to me mirrorless system and needed to switch over to the D850 to get the shots. There was only one occasion in the beginning when I broke out the D850 but now I leave it at home. Since getting the Z8, I have shot all the major events and outings I typically shoot (theater/plays, birding/wildlife, butterflies/dragonflies/flowers, portraits/family pictures and occasionally some macro). I feel comfortable with the mirrorless system now. A few months ago I did sell some of my F mount lenses and I plan to sell more (14-24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8,). There are more F mounts I love and want to keep although I'm not sure it makes sense (105mm, 300mm pf, 500mm pf, 70-200mm f2.8- all of which I still use with the Z8). I have the following Z mount lenses already: 40mm f2, 85mm f1.8, 24-120mm f4, and the 600mm f6.3. In the future I'd like to get the Z 20mm f1.8 and possibly the Z 135mm f1.8 plena. However, I'm not buying any more lenses until I definitively decide what to do with the F mount gear. One other piece of info, I don't mind using the FTZ adapter so it is not a factor in my decision.

Does it make any sense to keep the following Nikon F mount gear now that I'm feeling comfortable & confident with the Z8?
1. Nikon D850
2. 300mm pf (use for flowers, butterflies, dragonflies and bugs)
3. 500mm pf (Use for birding and wildlife. I just got the 600mm f6.3 pf and don't know if the 500mm is worth keeping since the difference in focal length is small. I do like that it is f5.6).
4. 70-200mm f2.8 (This is my favorite lens, is tack sharp, and is perfection in my eyes. I use this lens almost exclusively for portraits and theater performances. I hear the Z version is just as good or better. I really don't want to let this go. My fear is I'll never have another lens like this one).
5. 105mm f2.8 (I dabble in macro but often go long periods of time without using this lens. Just don't know if it is worth trading in for the little amount of money I would get for it).

This is not primarily about getting money from selling the gear (although that would be nice). It may seem silly to some but I know my struggle is more with my emotions and attachment to the gear; however, I'm open to reasonings for keeping or selling the D850 and/or any of the lenses. I guess I just need a little bit of help getting over my hesitation and sorting it through without my attachment being a factor. Thanks in advance.

My gear is now split between Nikon's mirrorless Z mount and F mount gear. I need some help reasoning out keeping or selling some beloved gear. Background: My D850 is my first higher end DSLR and I love it. However, I now have the Z8 and over the past 4-5 months, I have grown confident in using it. When I first got the Z8, I would also pack my D850 when I would go out to shoot. It was sort of a back up (mentally in most situations) in case I couldn't manage the new to me mirrorless system and needed to switch over to the D850 to get the shots. There was only one occasion in the beginning when I broke out the D850 but now I leave it at home. Since getting the Z8, I have shot all the major events and outings I typically shoot (theater/plays, birding/wildlife, butterflies/dragonflies/flowers, portraits/family pictures and occasionally some macro). I feel comfortable with the mirrorless system now. A few months ago I did sell some of my F mount lenses and I plan to sell more (14-24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8,). There are more F mounts I love and want to keep although I'm not sure it makes sense (105mm, 300mm pf, 500mm pf, 70-200mm f2.8- all of which I still use with the Z8). I have the following Z mount lenses already: 40mm f2, 85mm f1.8, 24-120mm f4, and the 600mm f6.3. In the future I'd like to get the Z 20mm f1.8 and possibly the Z 135mm f1.8 plena. However, I'm not buying any more lenses until I definitively decide what to do with the F mount gear. One other piece of info, I don't mind using the FTZ adapter so it is not a factor in my decision.

Does it make any sense to keep the following Nikon F mount gear now that I'm feeling comfortable & confident with the Z8?
1. Nikon D850
3. 500mm pf (Use for birding and wildlife. I just got the 600mm f6.3 pf and don't know if the 500mm is worth keeping since the difference in focal length is small. I do like that it is f5.6).
4. 70-200mm f2.8 (This is my favorite lens, is tack sharp, and is perfection in my eyes. I use this lens almost exclusively for portraits and theater performances. I hear the Z version is just as good or better. I really don't want to let this go. My fear is I'll never have another lens like this one).
5. 105mm f2.8 (I dabble in macro but often go long periods of time without using this lens. Just don't know if it is worth trading in for the little amount of money I would get for it).

This is not primarily about getting money from selling the gear (although that would be nice). It may seem silly to some but I know my struggle is more with my emotions and attachment to the gear; however, I'm open to reasonings for keeping or selling the D850 and/or any of the lenses. I guess I just need a little bit of help getting over my hesitation and sorting it through without my attachment being a factor. Thanks in advance.
Don’t know what your plans are for a backup camera body, but unless you have one already (second Z8?), I’d keep the D850, at least until you have a better replacement. Personally, I always like to have at least two cameras with me, both to avoid changing lenses in the field, and to use in case something goes wrong with one camera. As for the lenses, the half stop difference between the 500PF and 600Z is negligible, and not something to fret about in my view - if I were in your position I’d sell it while there’s still decent market value. The 70-200 is another matter however. I agree with you that it’s a great lens (one of my favorites as well), so I’d hold onto it for the time being and just use it with the FTZ adaptor. I can’t think of any justifiable reason to buy the Z version at the present time. Same with the 105 macro.

Don’t know what your plans are for a backup camera body, but unless you have one already (second Z8?), I’d keep the D850, at least until you have a better replacement. Personally, I always like to have at least two cameras with me, both to avoid changing lenses in the field, and to use in case something goes wrong with one camera. As for the lenses, the half stop difference between the 500PF and 600Z is negligible, and not something to fret about in my view - if I were in your position I’d sell it while there’s still decent market value. The 70-200 is another matter however. I agree with you that it’s a great lens (one of my favorites as well), so I’d hold onto it for the time being and just use it with the FTZ adaptor. I can’t think of any justifiable reason to buy the Z version at the present time. Same with the 105 macro.
Thank you for giving advice and explaining why. I guess my hesitation to sell the 500mm is it is my second favorite lens after the 70-200mm. I hadn’t thought about the difference in stops being negligible. I just got the z 600mm so maybe if I feel satisfied it is a good replacement for the 500mm pf I can more easily let the 500mm go. Regarding the backup camera, I hadn’t had one before getting the Z8. I just had the D850. I would like to get the Zf for everyday carry/street photography; doesn’t seem like an equivalent back up to the Z8 though. I don’t have any plans to get a second Z8.

1. Nikon D850

I don't see a 24-70 or something similar on your "For Sale" list. If you lack the wide landscape lenses, it's tough to have a D850 kit. That was the tipping point for me.

The 300mm PF is unique in the ability to use it for close ups. Sharpness is very good. Unless you have the Z 100-400, I might keep the 300mm PF for now.

The 500mm PF is a terrific lens - but that means it has good value if you sell it. I sold mine and replaced it with the Z 400mm f/4.5 - a faster lens that is native to the Z system and works well with the Z 1.4 TC.

It depends on which 70-200 you own. I love the 70-200 lenses, but the VR and VRII versions are a bit old. The FL version is excellent and still in production. I'd sell all but the FL version. The FL version probably should be sold, but there is little rush. The Z version is terrific.

The 105 f/2.8 macro is a 15 year old design, and the Z version is exceptional. I sold my F-mount version and got the Z version.

I don't think you have any real reason to keep the D850. Yes - it's a great DSLR - but unless you have some lenses that only AF on a DSLR or you have enough lenses to make a good DSLR kit for some purpose, it's time to move on. Sell it.

At this point it's probably better to sell F-mount gear faster rather than waiting for it to decline in value further. Moving these little used items will fund some nice upgrades for your Z system and position you well for the next 8-10 years. Even if you wait, you'll be selling the F-mount gear within a couple of years, so it's just a matter of timing.

There is nothing wrong with a DSLR kit. There are some great bargains for DSLR cameras and F-mount lenses. But it sounds to me like you have moved to a mirrorless system, so it's best to get on with it. Nothing in teh F-mount system is compelling compared to the Z counterparts.

I'm wrestling with the same question, though just got the Z8 so am earlier in the decision process. For now, my rationale in keeping the D850 plus 300, 500, etc. lenses is as a backup rig, self-contained, that I can more comfortably travel with to places where I might be concerned about the cost of Z8 and expensive glass vs theft or damage risk (public zoo, riding in a kayak, etc.). The capability of the D850 vs the used sale proceeds it may bring still pass my value test - for now. I realize the differences in user interface make the D850 a non-ideal 'second body' vs the Z8, and the sale proceeds will continue to drop the longer I delay, so I may regret it. For now, I'm happy with keeping my D850 set. If you don't have theft or damage mitigation needs that justify a separate rig 'just in case', then I'd lean toward Eric's excellent advice above.

btw, I totally get your emotional attachment comment. I still have my first camera (Nikon FE) given as a birthday gift from my late father. I only shoot one roll of film a year in it, but just can't bring myself to sell it! Unless there is that kind of special bond to an item, I've found I don't regret the sale after making the decision to let cherished gear go.

Last edited:
I don't see a 24-70 or something similar on your "For Sale" list. If you lack the wide landscape lenses, it's tough to have a D850 kit. That was the tipping point for me.

The 300mm PF is unique in the ability to use it for close ups. Sharpness is very good. Unless you have the Z 100-400, I might keep the 300mm PF for now.

The 500mm PF is a terrific lens - but that means it has good value if you sell it. I sold mine and replaced it with the Z 400mm f/4.5 - a faster lens that is native to the Z system and works well with the Z 1.4 TC.

It depends on which 70-200 you own. I love the 70-200 lenses, but the VR and VRII versions are a bit old. The FL version is excellent and still in production. I'd sell all but the FL version. The FL version probably should be sold, but there is little rush. The Z version is terrific.

The 105 f/2.8 macro is a 15 year old design, and the Z version is exceptional. I sold my F-mount version and got the Z version.

I don't think you have any real reason to keep the D850. Yes - it's a great DSLR - but unless you have some lenses that only AF on a DSLR or you have enough lenses to make a good DSLR kit for some purpose, it's time to move on. Sell it.

At this point it's probably better to sell F-mount gear faster rather than waiting for it to decline in value further. Moving these little used items will fund some nice upgrades for your Z system and position you well for the next 8-10 years. Even if you wait, you'll be selling the F-mount gear within a couple of years, so it's just a matter of timing.

There is nothing wrong with a DSLR kit. There are some great bargains for DSLR cameras and F-mount lenses. But it sounds to me like you have moved to a mirrorless system, so it's best to get on with it. Nothing in teh F-mount system is compelling compared to the Z counterparts.
Thanks for your thorough input, Eric. I sold my AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 a few months back along with my AF-S 24-120mm. I rarely used the 24-70mm. Despite owning two copies of this lens, I was just never completely satisfied with results compared to the 70-200mm. I do see your point with not having a wider lens making less sense to keep the D850. My 70-200mm is a FL and I'm just not sure I can part with it. It may be the last thing I let go for the F mount. You make a good case to move on from the f mounts. I am so pleased with the Z8 and that's obviously going to be my primary camera for the days to come. I'm starting to lean towards letting the D850 go.

I'm wrestling with the same question, though just got the Z8 so am earlier in the decision process. For now, my rationale in keeping the D850 plus 300, 500, etc. lenses is as a backup rig, self-contained, that I can more comfortably travel with to places where I might be concerned about the cost of Z8 and expensive glass vs theft or damage risk (public zoo, riding in a kayak, etc.). The capability of the D850 vs the used sale proceeds it may bring still pass my value test - for now. I realize the differences in user interface make the D850 a non-ideal 'second body' vs the Z8, and the sale proceeds will continue to drop the longer I delay, so I may regret it. For now, I'm happy with keeping my D850 set. If you don't have theft or damage mitigation needs that justify a separate rig 'just in case', then I'd lean toward Eric's excellent advice above.

btw, I totally get your emotional attachment comment. I still have my first camera (Nikon FE) given as a birthday gift from my late father. I only shoot one roll of film a year in it, but just can't bring myself to sell it! Unless there is that kind of special bond to an item, I've found I don't regret the sale after making the decision to let cherished gear go.
I still have my first film camera, a Pentax K1000, which my parents gave me in the early 80's. That I will never part with. Just a month ago, I still felt like I'd always keep the D850 but the more I sink into the Z mirrorless world, the less it makes sense. When the Nikon announced the Zf, it struck a chord with me for an everyday camera to throw in a bag or shoot video and that's when I started to seriously consider moving on my from my D850 but that emotional attachment is very strong. I appreciate your input.

Do you like and still use the equipment in question? If so, I'd say that's your answer. :)
Straight and to the point, Woodyg3. ;) Yes and no. If I didn't use any of it at all, I think it would be easier for me to let it go.

I also had D850 (two of them) along with four F lenses (and at one time the 500PF). I sold them all to get Z8. The D850 is fantastic and I think in hindsight I will always look back on it as my favorite camera, but when the Z8 finally came out I made the switch. I did not want to stay half and half (F and Z), nor could I afford to. Having used Z8 exclusively for a few months I can say I have no regrets. You won't get much for your F mount gear, but the longer you wait to sell it the lower that number will be.

Yes sell the 500PF because the Z 600PF renders it redundant. I mean you will always be asking yourself which one should I take out today, so stick with the newer one and save yourself that decision each time you go out. I also loved my F mount 70-200 f2.8 (latest E version) but replaced it with the Z mount and no regrets. BTW I use it often with the Z 2x teleconverter with excellent results (whereas on F mount I only used 1.4x because 2x was not sharp enough).

As someone who was in essentially the same position that you are in and went all in on Z8 mirrorless, my advice is go for it!

I am in a very similar situation and here is how I proceeded. I purchased the D850 back in 2017 and was certain I would never give it up. Ever. Its the greatest DSLR ever made. Fast forward to late 2022 and the D850 for all its magnificence as an imaging platform is seemingly becoming heavier and heavier to carry around. I rented a Z6II and a Z mount lens to shoot my churches Xmas Eve candle light service and as a way to try out Nikon's mirrorless offerings. What an absolute joy to use and the image quality in low light was incredible. Since I don't shoot sports/action/wildlife, the Z9 was total overkill and for my photography, the Z7II was the D850 replacement for me. So, I purchased the Z7II for a great sale price, but kept the D850 around as the backup camera and used my F mount lenses and FTZ adapter. While the Z8 is clearly superior to the Z7II, it was too close in size and weight of the D850 and I love the smaller lighter form factor of the Z7II. Over the past year I have added the 24-120mm S and 20mm S lenses to my arsenal. Just last week I finally decided to part ways with the D850 and my last remaining AF-D lens. Like you, I was using the D850 less and less and the Z7II more and more. I'm just waiting for Nikon to release the Z6III and a fast-ish 200mm Z lens, and then I will have a two camera system that covers everything I want (at least for the next 5-6 years or so)

Personally, I would dump all the F-body and lenses that you have Z replacements for. Then if you are willing to spend the money to replace the rest with Z assuming you can I would. As each day passes your F-body gear is losing value. It would be better to do it sooner than later. It can be painful but better to get more than less when you finally decide to do it.

The D850 was the best camera I've ever had!

But when the Z9 was announced, I quickly sold my D5, D850, and almost all (except my Sig 15mm fish!) my great glass... and even then I took a beating on prices because they fell so very quickly. Get what you can out of them..... or keep them long term as memory items and dust collectors.

They are tools.....not God, family or country.

I also had D850 (two of them) along with four F lenses (and at one time the 500PF). I sold them all to get Z8. The D850 is fantastic and I think in hindsight I will always look back on it as my favorite camera, but when the Z8 finally came out I made the switch. I did not want to stay half and half (F and Z), nor could I afford to. Having used Z8 exclusively for a few months I can say I have no regrets. You won't get much for your F mount gear, but the longer you wait to sell it the lower that number will be.

Yes sell the 500PF because the Z 600PF renders it redundant. I mean you will always be asking yourself which one should I take out today, so stick with the newer one and save yourself that decision each time you go out. I also loved my F mount 70-200 f2.8 (latest E version) but replaced it with the Z mount and no regrets. BTW I use it often with the Z 2x teleconverter with excellent results (whereas on F mount I only used 1.4x because 2x was not sharp enough).

As someone who was in essentially the same position that you are in and went all in on Z8 mirrorless, my advice is go for it!
I appreciate the encouragement. My biggest fear is regretting it and sounds like you have not in anyway. Great point about the 500mm and the Z 600pf and having to decide between them. Also, good to know about the Z 2x TC. I already have the Z 1.4 TC and it's been great so far. Nice to know the 2x works well with the 70-200mm. That might be enough to help me sell the Fmount 70-200mm lens but again it will be the last to go as I just love it and use it the most. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

I am in a very similar situation and here is how I proceeded. I purchased the D850 back in 2017 and was certain I would never give it up. Ever. Its the greatest DSLR ever made. Fast forward to late 2022 and the D850 for all its magnificence as an imaging platform is seemingly becoming heavier and heavier to carry around. I rented a Z6II and a Z mount lens to shoot my churches Xmas Eve candle light service and as a way to try out Nikon's mirrorless offerings. What an absolute joy to use and the image quality in low light was incredible. Since I don't shoot sports/action/wildlife, the Z9 was total overkill and for my photography, the Z7II was the D850 replacement for me. So, I purchased the Z7II for a great sale price, but kept the D850 around as the backup camera and used my F mount lenses and FTZ adapter. While the Z8 is clearly superior to the Z7II, it was too close in size and weight of the D850 and I love the smaller lighter form factor of the Z7II. Over the past year I have added the 24-120mm S and 20mm S lenses to my arsenal. Just last week I finally decided to part ways with the D850 and my last remaining AF-D lens. Like you, I was using the D850 less and less and the Z7II more and more. I'm just waiting for Nikon to release the Z6III and a fast-ish 200mm Z lens, and then I will have a two camera system that covers everything I want (at least for the next 5-6 years or so)
@Doug A. Thank you. Sounds like am following in your footsteps. I just need to pull the trigger. Hearing all of these "successful" transition stories is definitely helping. Just curious how do you like your 20mm S?

Personally, I would dump all the F-body and lenses that you have Z replacements for. Then if you are willing to spend the money to replace the rest with Z assuming you can I would. As each day passes your F-body gear is losing value. It would be better to do it sooner than later. It can be painful but better to get more than less when you finally decide to do it.
Thanks. It is painful and I am very aware of the F mounts losing the value; that's pushing me to consider selling what I can. I can't afford to replace too many lenses at once, especially since I won't get as much for the DSLR gear, so I may have to go back to buying them one at time and prioritizing which ones to get first. Ugh, letting go is so hard. Thank you for your feedback.

Tools note jewels. If you have gear in the stable that's not helping, it's time to sell it. Especially if the funds from that gear can help you buy other gear that will help. The goal of photography isn't to have gear you love, it's to have photos you love :)
So very true, Steve. Thanks for reframing this for me. I need to think less about the gear and more about the photos!

The D850 was the best camera I've ever had!

But when the Z9 was announced, I quickly sold my D5, D850, and almost all (except my Sig 15mm fish!) my great glass... and even then I took a beating on prices because they fell so very quickly. Get what you can out of them..... or keep them long term as memory items and dust collectors.

They are tools.....not God, family or country.
Perspective is everything! Tools only and yes, some of this gear will be collecting dust in the next year. I don't want that. Better to upgrade now than later. They are just tools. That message is starting to sink in.

Cindy, I agree with the previous advice you have been given. The “F” mount equipment you have may or may not be of use to you going forward. I faced this dilemma over the last few months because I bought a Z9 and later a Z8. I really like both of these cameras as they do things my trusted and well traveled D850 cannot. The battery charge life of the D850 is much better than the Z8….no big deal. Put a spare in your pocket. The D850 can digitize negatives and slides with an ES2 attachment. The Zs cannot. But who knows what firmware is down the road. I’m keeping my D850 for that and potential non-wildlife events. I’ve recently sold most “F” lenses; 500pf, 80-400, 24, 58, 24-70, and 70-200… all excellent lenses. I have kept some older ai-s lenses from my film days because they are “old friends” that I used for years. It’s a sentimental thing. I can use them with the D850 or the Df ……… or my Ftn I bought in 1970…

Cindy, I agree with the previous advice you have been given. The “F” mount equipment you have may or may not be of use to you going forward. I faced this dilemma over the last few months because I bought a Z9 and later a Z8. I really like both of these cameras as they do things my trusted and well traveled D850 cannot. The battery charge life of the D850 is much better than the Z8….no big deal. Put a spare in your pocket. The D850 can digitize negatives and slides with an ES2 attachment. The Zs cannot. But who knows what firmware is down the road. I’m keeping my D850 for that and potential non-wildlife events. I’ve recently sold most “F” lenses; 500pf, 80-400, 24, 58, 24-70, and 70-200… all excellent lenses. I have kept some older ai-s lenses from my film days because they are “old friends” that I used for years. It’s a sentimental thing. I can use them with the D850 or the Df ……… or my Ftn I bought in 1970…
Z9 and Z8 are a great pair! The battery life for what I do on the Z8 hasn't been a problem. As I sit here and think about all of this, there is nothing my D850 has to offer me over the Z8. That's a great way to think about it. I'm going to pack up my D850 now. Still on the fence for a couple of these lens.

I've kept my favorite camera & lens from the film era because I like it. It's extremely unlikely I'll ever use it again (never say never!) but I'm emotionally attached to it, it doesn't take up a lot of space and requires little maintenance so the only reason to sell would be to raise a little cash (the lens is still valuable).

1. Nikon D850

Sell all except for 70-200 and 105 IMO. Let us know what you do!

….Okay, you’re on the fence about selling “F” lenses? That’s understandable if you have had great results with the F-mount glass. You’re thinking the FTZ2 will work just fine and I only need to switch bodies. That’s correct. But you now have a “3rd” part in your system that could function more efficiently without the adapter. The “Z” lens designs take advantage of the enormous diameter of the lens mount resulting in shorter barrel lengths and improved performance. It was a no-brainer for me. Here are some comparison pix…. The D850 w/24-70 f/2.8 on left….. Z on right with a 24-70 f/2.8 S-line…

IMG_1667.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Cindy, the lenses for the Z system can get pricy for sure. Especially for the “Trinity 3”. You have very workable options for a great lens set without getting a second mortgage….😂 Here are both options:

IMG_2495.jpeg

On the left is the f/2.8 ”Trinity” 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200. On the right are 2 less expensive options that have the same focal length coverage and are significantly less expensive. A 14-30mm and 24-200mm. These two are excellent and have provided excellent results for me.. here’s a close-up..

IMG_2497.jpeg

For the longer glass I have the 400 4.5 and look forward to getting a 600PF to replace my 500PF.

Cindy, the lenses for the Z system can get pricy for sure. Especially for the “Trinity 3”. You have very workable options for a great lens set without getting a second mortgage….😂

Larry, Thank you for the visuals. Helps me tremendously. Seriously the FTZ is not a problem for me. It lives on my 500pf or my 70-200mm. Now that I have the Z 600pf, it will most likely stay on the 70-200mm, especially if I can let go of the 500pf. So far I've made the decision to keep the 300pf because it is perfect for butterflies/dragonflies/bugs. After all of this great advice, I have decided to sell the D850, 105mm, 14-24mm, 50mm and most likely the 500pf (not completely there yet). I already have the z 600pf for the 500pf so now I just need to make myself let go of the 500pf. I use the 105mm rarely so I can replace that last. I have a z 40mm for the 50mm. I need something wider than 24mm to replace my 14-24mm which I know I was selling. I was thinking maybe the z 20mm but you've got me thinking seriously about the z 14-30mm. That leaves my 70-200mm. I think I'm going to keep it for now. I definitely will not replace it until I have the z f2.8 equivalent in hand and know it matches what I can get with the DSLR version. I use this one too much to be without it for any amount of time. For now I need to let all this advice marinate overnight and see what makes sense tomorrow. Thanks for your pictures and thoughtful help.

Back