Negative comments only....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It seems my use of the word crap was misguided. Obviously I should have read this essay prior to my disparaging remarks.

Tiago Cardoso: Please, oh please. It's obviously a female lesser eyed monochrome.

IMHO I believe there should be a Royal Commission into the visual acuity of judges.

I was just watching this:

I had to stop, I was laughing too much, could have proved hazardous to my health.

Last edited:
Judging a photographic competition,

When judging 800-1000 photos a month at varying levels of competition either in digital or print form, open national or club competitions.....one usually starts with asking one self what is the viewer seeing connecting with, what is the story the message, does it evoke emotion, interest, or generate creative thoughts, does it meet the set competition criteria, then one usually considers the technical aspects, finally if there is any wow factor, then one usually grades the work highly commended, bronze, silver, gold, or at club level usually its a mark of pas, acceptance, credit, merit, the later being the higher.

In some cases where asked, usually the judge may speak about ways that the photo could have been made better, compositionally, taken better technically or edited for enhancement, of course all constructively, a judge doesn't want to be seen as an arrogant judge suffering from self indulging intellectual verbal diarrhoea.

Note strong composition and a good wow factor can at times overrule some technical aspects that may not be pristine.

It's not always easy being a judge, you sometimes encounter disgruntled entrants and like children you need to manage your responses well, hence at club level the rule is the judges views are final.

People will always agree or disagree, some more so than others, that said constructive criticism is always helpful above all welcome.

Only an opinion

It seems my use of the word crap was misguided. Obviously I should have read this essay prior to my disparaging remarks.

Tiago Cardoso: Please, oh please. It's obviously a female lesser eyed monochrome.

IMHO I believe there should be a Royal Commission into the visual acuity of judges.

I was just watching this:

I had to stop, I was laughing too much, could have proved hazardous to my health.
Don't worry Ibrahim - he isn't interested in some posts. or opinions. 😂 I don't think it's valid.

Don't worry Ibrahim - he isn't interested in some posts. or opinions. 😂 I don't think it's valid.
Looking at the results of the worlds largest bird photography competition, and the lack of eyes in many of the photos I think we can safely say that having a sharp eye present isnt a valid requirement for what makes a bird photo great. You can personally disagree with that all you want, but for the sake of anyone who reads this thread trying to learn something I think that idea needs pushed back on.

Looking at the results of the worlds largest bird photography competition, and the lack of eyes in many of the photos I think we can safely say that having a sharp eye present isnt a valid requirement for what makes a bird photo great. You can personally disagree with that all you want, but for the sake of anyone who reads this thread trying to learn something I think that idea needs pushed back on.
Wes the photo you posted is a good one. It is probably best presented in b&w. What makes a photo great is beyond me, but that is not great.
The photo of the leaping black big cat that was presented on this web site is in my very humble opinion a great photo. I take photos for fun and hope they are of interest to others.
I have never and am unlikely to ever produce a 'great photo'. I am [ or at least was ] like all people, good in bed, work very hard, and am modest.

Yours faithfully, Ibrahim

PS " but for the sake of anyone who reads this thread trying to learn something" <-- amazing!

Wes - please read my comments again. I am MORE than happy for you. That anyone disagrees with you - doesn't mean you should diss them, ignore them, invalidate them. I congratulated you - BUT you clearly ignored that comment. Not a thank you? Not an acknowledgement of the time I took to actually make a comment? I was very clear that I liked your photo. Perhaps you don't handle ideas that differ from yours very well. Or crit. I am sorry about that. You didn't win - you had a highly commended. Even if you did win, I would have expected a better response from you. I wish you better luck next time! Go in peace.

Added: Perhaps being right is all that counts to you. 🤷‍♀️

Wes - please read my comments again. I am MORE than happy for you. That anyone disagrees with you - doesn't mean you should diss them, ignore them, invalidate them. I congratulated you - BUT you clearly ignored that comment. Not a thank you? Not an acknowledgement of the time I took to actually make a comment? I was very clear that I liked your photo. Perhaps you don't handle ideas that differ from yours very well. Or crit. I am sorry about that. You didn't win - you had a highly commended. Even if you did win, I would have expected a better response from you. I wish you better luck next time! Go in peace.

Added: Perhaps being right is all that counts to you. 🤷‍♀️
I stopped interacting with you on page 1 so why are you trying to speak for me on page 3?
It's unbelievably arrogant to think you are entitled to a response from someone on the internet.
I handle ideas from others very well actually, it seems to be YOU who cant handle the thought of someone not finding any value in your opinion.

You gave your opinion
I found it of little use
Deal with that and move on please.

I stopped interacting with you on page 1 so why are you trying to speak for me on page 3?
It's unbelievably arrogant to think you are entitled to a response from someone on the internet.
I handle ideas from others very well actually, it seems to be YOU who cant handle the thought of someone not finding any value in your opinion.

You gave your opinion
I found it of little use
Deal with that and move on please.
Exactly, if you choose to make a comment on the internet you don't deserve a thank you. :ROFLMAO:

Back