New, to me, 500 pf

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have had a new 500 pf for about a week now. It being lighter than my 200-500 I am having a little trouble with technique and steadyness. I am making progress in that area and I am excited about the lens because it usually gives me super sharp images, better ratio all the time. I have heard that the lesser weight of the lens was a concern for some, I was not ready for the effect it had with me. I wasn't sure why I was getting many super sharp images and many not so much, but have since decided it is all my technique, it seems to me that the heavier telephoto lens has enough bulk and weight that it dampens the shutter and keeps the shake down, especially while resting it in something. Also I am shooting with a D850 which amplifies those errors over lower pixil cameras. The lighter weight is what I wanted and it is nice.
Lesser Yellowlegs.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful photo,

Like you, I am in the middle of a learning curve using the 500pf while wandering the neighborhood. Coming from a 300 2.8 with a 1.4 or 2.0TCiii the 500 feels super flingy like throwing a baseball after playing softball for the past few years. With no heft. I also catch myself carrying my setup from the camera grip instead of cradling the lens which can't be good long term. Being used to removing TC's, then dropping my aperture down as low as 2.8, on my 300 as the evening light wanes, the wide open 5.6 of the 500 has made for some challenging ISO's.

That said, every lens has it's gives and takes. I am loving the compact lightweight design of the 500pf. The thought of even grabbing the monopod does not cross my mind when leaving the house. Such a pleasure to carry for long distances. I have no doubt muscle reflex will adapt quickly. Just need a few hours with some good subjects to practice on.

Exciting stuff for sure.

I have had a new 500 pf for about a week now. It being lighter than my 200-500 I am having a little trouble with technique and steadyness. I am making progress in that area and I am excited about the lens because it usually gives me super sharp images, better ratio all the time. I have heard that the lesser weight of the lens was a concern for some, I was not ready for the effect it had with me. I wasn't sure why I was getting many super sharp images and many not so much, but have since decided it is all my technique, it seems to me that the heavier telephoto lens has enough bulk and weight that it dampens the shutter and keeps the shake down, especially while resting it in something. Also I am shooting with a D850 which amplifies those errors over lower pixil cameras. The lighter weight is what I wanted and it is nice.
Nice shot.

It's not about the shutter/mirror vibration. The heavier rig dampens hand shake and movement in general. It does take some getting used to and maybe some alterations to technique.

Nice shot.

It's not about the shutter/mirror vibration. The heavier rig dampens hand shake and movement in general. It does take some getting used to and maybe some alterations to technique.
I think you are right, if you get good photos at a setting but not the next time, same conditions, it must be technique. Not steady enough.

The D850, 500 PF is an awesome combo IMO. I really enjoyed mine. At first it felt like holding an empty pop can to me but quickly became super comfortable and a joy to carry. I only had it on a tripod a few times but when I did use the gimbal head in my pop up blind I was blown away with the IQ I was getting.

Congrats
Thank yo Hut2, for the encouragement, I wasn’t too sure there at first. I knew that to get one great image from a lens that I knew at least the glass was good. Thankfully I got some sharp ones early and they are coming much more regular. I am feeling much better about the AF and VR. I think I am going to really like it. I understand your pop can analogy 😁

Beautiful photo,

Like you, I am in the middle of a learning curve using the 500pf while wandering the neighborhood. Coming from a 300 2.8 with a 1.4 or 2.0TCiii the 500 feels super flingy like throwing a baseball after playing softball for the past few years. With no heft. I also catch myself carrying my setup from the camera grip instead of cradling the lens which can't be good long term. Being used to removing TC's, then dropping my aperture down as low as 2.8, on my 300 as the evening light wanes, the wide open 5.6 of the 500 has made for some challenging ISO's.

That said, every lens has it's gives and takes. I am loving the compact lightweight design of the 500pf. The thought of even grabbing the monopod does not cross my mind when leaving the house. Such a pleasure to carry for long distances. I have no doubt muscle reflex will adapt quickly. Just need a few hours with some good subjects to practice on.

Exciting stuff for sure.
I hear you for sure, it may not be everything we want but when it’s doing what it’s designed for it really shines. I think I will learn to like it even more.

Think you nailed this shot. I have noticed my shots have been getting sharper after around 9 mos now with the D850/500 so a learning adapting curve. I love the weight, had a80-400 prior, very heavy long lens when zoomed all the way out.

Think you nailed this shot. I have noticed my shots have been getting sharper after around 9 mos now with the D850/500 so a learning adapting curve. I love the weight, had a80-400 prior, very heavy long lens when zoomed all the way out.
Thank you KurT, for the comment on the photo. It’s good to know that after 9 months you are still noticing improvements, it seems that I have to really concentrate on holding steady, I am 78 and may take me longer 😁

Thank you KurT, for the comment on the photo. It’s good to know that after 9 months you are still noticing improvements, it seems that I have to really concentrate on holding steady, I am 78 and may take me longer 😁
OK I'll spot you the 12years but there are many days I feel like 78 sooooooooooo there is still hope for you at 9 mos to improve!

Nice shot. Congrats on the new glass. Next on my shopping list. Moose Peterson's been using it a bunch lately, with the 1.4 tc and his results are as with your shot here, very nice!!

Nice shot. Congrats on the new glass. Next on my shopping list. Moose Peterson's been using it a bunch lately, with the 1.4 tc and his results are as with your shot here, very nice!!
Thanks, I have used it with my 1.4 tc,to some extent the sharpness & IQ at 700mm is very exciting to me. I am sure I will find a lot to use it on also. Thanks ssheipel for your comment.

Hi Steven, I really noticed the focus speed drop off at the f8 with the 1.4. Works great in full light but in mornings I drop off the TC so I don't miss the shot for slow focus. Just kind of FYI. Not sure Gene has same issue.

Hi Steven, I really noticed the focus speed drop off at the f8 with the 1.4. Works great in full light but in mornings I drop off the TC so I don't miss the shot for slow focus. Just kind of FYI. Not sure Gene has same issue.
Yes, the f 8 at 700 affects af , it’s slower and don’t lock on as good if at all in lower light, but I think I will find some good use for it, such as small birds in brighter light, who knows what else at this point because the sharp 700mm is tempting but not perfect.

I love the 500 PF for birds in flight but I struggled with sitting birds when I first got it. I was used to going down to 125/250s with VR but this doesnt seem to work so well as it does with a 200-500. I thought I had a bad copy to begin with but my hit rate and AF was way better on BiFs. I also came across other people and threads, at the time, reporting the same issue. My personal way out was to use higher shutter speeds and fix any ISO impact with DXO PL but thats because I'm mostly shooting BiFs/hand held and sitting birds tend to be opportunistic.

I love the 500 PF for birds in flight but I struggled with sitting birds when I first got it. I was used to going down to 125/250s with VR but this doesnt seem to work so well as it does with a 200-500. I thought I had a bad copy to begin with but my hit rate and AF was way better on BiFs. I also came across other people and threads, at the time, reporting the same issue. My personal way out was to use higher shutter speeds and fix any ISO impact with DXO PL but thats because I'm mostly shooting BiFs/hand held and sitting birds tend to be opportunistic.
Gene, if you haven’t done so shoot it with VR sport on and forget about it. It works great on that lens. The normal setting can be a little jumpy.

Thanks for your input on this, the 500 pf definitely does handle different from heavier lenses, I am glad to hear you say that you love it for BIF.

Gene, if you haven’t done so shoot it with VR sport on and forget about it. It works great on that lens. The normal setting can be a little jumpy.
Thanks Ralph for the advice, I have noticed the jumpiness you talk about in VR. I think the lens is good and I will be fine with it when I learn how to get around its quirks. Your suggestion is well taken.

It's a super easy lens to handhold. You'll get a feel for it very quickly. (y)
I'm not that great of photographer and not a pro but I did enjoy that lens. I never used a monopod but that might be nice to use with it if it helps you keep steady.
I did experiment once with a monopod and a 1.4tc. It worked great for those few shots. Looking forward to using it more.

Yes, the f 8 at 700 affects af , it’s slower and don’t lock on as good if at all in lower light, but I think I will find some good use for it, such as small birds in brighter light, who knows what else at this point because the sharp 700mm is tempting but not perfect.
Thanks both of you; wondered about the AF speed with the TC.

Thanks both of you; wondered about the AF speed with the TC.
Steven, all the shots I’ve taken over the last several months have been with the 1.4 x on the 500 PF. The results are very good and under descent light conditions the focusing speed for me has been very good as well. But all that being said, there is a small drop in sharpness. Not much but I do notice it. And while I’ll didn’t get the TC for birds in flight I do attempt BiF when I get the opportunity. It’s probably 50/50 in terms of results.

Back