New, to me, 500 pf

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steven, all the shots I’ve taken over the last several months have been with the 1.4 x on the 500 PF. The results are very good and under descent light conditions the focusing speed for me has been very good as well. But all that being said, there is a small drop in sharpness. Not much but I do notice it. And while I’ll didn’t get the TC for birds in flight I do attempt BiF when I get the opportunity. It’s probably 50/50 in terms of results.
Thanks Ralph, good to know.

Steven, all the shots I’ve taken over the last several months have been with the 1.4 x on the 500 PF. The results are very good and under descent light conditions the focusing speed for me has been very good as well. But all that being said, there is a small drop in sharpness. Not much but I do notice it. And while I’ll didn’t get the TC for birds in flight I do attempt BiF when I get the opportunity. It’s probably 50/50 in terms of results.
Thanks, Ralph. My experience as well with the 300 pf and 1.4, btw.

Nice shot ! You have 5 years on me I am 73. I have owned and shot a 200-500, 500 PF and 600 f/4E all hand held. As mentioned earlier VR in sport on the 500 PF is a set it there and leave it. I also do the same on the 600 f/4E. 500 PF the hardest for me to hand hold because of how light it is. The 600 f/4E is actually the easiest for me .. all 3 held with tripod foot resting in palm of my hand not gripped target rifle hold. Bottom line for me in target rifle hold is the less barrel heavy the camera lens combo the less stability .. it is harder to get the barrel heavy lens in motion hence it stays more stable.
I found ways to do much better with the 500pf with the Hejnar replacement foot which is a little longer I found ways to place my left hand a bit further back and give me a bit more barrel heavy feel.
I think you will really like the 500 pf as you get used to it. I seldom use the 500pf now since I got the 600 f/4 E and the Z100-400 used on a Z6II. My wife is now using the 500 PF on her Z50 and loves it.

The 500 PF is my favorite all around lens on my Z6Ii. Most of the time with the 1.4 TC. I am a dedicated user of tripods and monopods and try to shoot it at 1/1000 sec at f8 for the best detail. I fear no ISO with the Z6Ii and Topaz DeNoise!!

Nice shot ! You have 5 years on me I am 73. I have owned and shot a 200-500, 500 PF and 600 f/4E all hand held. As mentioned earlier VR in sport on the 500 PF is a set it there and leave it. I also do the same on the 600 f/4E. 500 PF the hardest for me to hand hold because of how light it is. The 600 f/4E is actually the easiest for me .. all 3 held with tripod foot resting in palm of my hand not gripped target rifle hold. Bottom line for me in target rifle hold is the less barrel heavy the camera lens combo the less stability .. it is harder to get the barrel heavy lens in motion hence it stays more stable.
I found ways to do much better with the 500pf with the Hejnar replacement foot which is a little longer I found ways to place my left hand a bit further back and give me a bit more barrel heavy feel.
I think you will really like the 500 pf as you get used to it. I seldom use the 500pf now since I got the 600 f/4 E and the Z100-400 used on a Z6II. My wife is now using the 500 PF on her Z50 and loves it.
Thank you Ken for your response and suggestions, especially the part about how you hold it. I will try that because like you all my previous long lenses have been heavier and I am having more trouble with the lighter 500 pf. I think I am getting better with it. I now feel, after hearing from you and others on this site, that I am not imagining things nor am I worried that I have a bad lens.

The 500 PF is my favorite all around lens on my Z6Ii. Most of the time with the 1.4 TC. I am a dedicated user of tripods and monopods and try to shoot it at 1/1000 sec at f8 for the best detail. I fear no ISO with the Z6Ii and Topaz DeNoise!!
Thanks Andrew, I am looking forward to getting many pictures from this lens, with and with out the tc.

Below is a shot on Saturday of an Eagle overlooking the pond at the bottom of the hill from my subdivision. Shot with the Z6II and the 500 PF with the 1.4 TC. for 700 mm of reach. 1/1000 sec at f/8 ISO 125 and on a Monopod.
Bald Eagle 500PF 1.4tc -.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have to admit, it has me rethinking my order for the 800mm PF Z !

Below is a shot on Saturday of an Eagle overlooking the pond at the bottom of the hill from my subdivision. Shot with the Z6II and the 500 PF with the 1.4 TC. for 700 mm of reach. 1/1000 sec at f/8 ISO 125 and on a Monopod.View attachment 36087

Great looking photo!👍👍👍

Below is a shot on Saturday of an Eagle overlooking the pond at the bottom of the hill from my subdivision. Shot with the Z6II and the 500 PF with the 1.4 TC. for 700 mm of reach. 1/1000 sec at f/8 ISO 125 and on a Monopod.View attachment 36087

Great shot Andrew, shots like this prove this lens has great potential.

Thank you KurT, for the comment on the photo. It’s good to know that after 9 months you are still noticing improvements, it seems that I have to really concentrate on holding steady, I am 78 and may take me longer 😁

And here I thought I was a geezer at 75. It is great to see I am not alone trying to learn new things now that I am working fewer hours. Of course, it would be nice to have my younger body back so I could climb those mountains again to get to the "really wild" things.

And here I thought I was a geezer at 75. It is great to see I am not alone trying to learn new things now that I am working fewer hours. Of course, it would be nice to have my younger body back so I could climb those mountains again to get to the "really wild" things.
Thanks Wink for the encouragement in knowing there are more like me out there. I still feel good even though I can’t go as long and hard as when I was younger but still I get a lot of enjoyment from photography. I bet in three years you will be going strong.

Thanks Wink for the encouragement in knowing there are more like me out there. I still feel good even though I can’t go as long and hard as when I was younger but still I get a lot of enjoyment from photography. I bet in three years you will be going strong.
From your finger tips to God's eyes! I am happy to be getting to know some of the folks here. I too have learned a LOT from Senior Steve.

Wow, that's a great shot! Sharp as can be! I just bought a 500mm PF and can't wait to try it more.

Back